• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

???

• Complete reinvention/reboot

• Evolution of the current formula/iteration

• I don't care either way

Results are only viewable after voting.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I don't feel that a game need to reinvent itself just because.

If the game is good, it is good.

Like BL3, where some criticism was that it wasn't reinvented... but that is just me maybe.

Oct 25, 2017
As not the biggest fan of the series, I'd like a reinvention. I'm a bit tired of the SP formula, which often feels like context-less horde encounters. They can keep the MP as is, but they need to deviate more for the SP.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Gears currently has the best gunplay in any ongoing tps franchise. There are ways they can push farther in the direction Gears 5 went in without completely rebooting the franchise. Who even voted for that option?

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck no to reinventing anything. Gears is Gears. It's not like we're flooded with Gears-like games.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I think The Coalition has that figured it out. 4 and 5 are great games, and whatever natural next step they take sounds promising to me

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
If it ain't broke...

I don't see why it needs a complete reinvention, just keep iterating as they've done with 5. The actual feel of the games is fine and I've actually been more impressed with the work they've done to its visuals more than anything. (especially in regards to how colourful the series is now!)

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I've only played the boot camp so far but it felt like a perfectly refined Gears. I dipped my toes in the Ultimate Edition of Gears of War recently and this new entry controls so much better. That's all I want.

Really looking forward to the full campaign.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
They stuck between a rock and a hard place as far as changing shit. Gears is as much a multiplayer series as it is anything else, and that crowd is going to want Gears as is.

And in mp those mechanics work out pretty great and the game has a higher ceiling than most modern shooters thanks to wall bouncing n stuff.

But in single player the game is way too shallow because frankly cover shooters done in this manner are inherently shallow. A lot of the gameplay is the same, dull, tired get behind a slab, shoot them some, dip under cover, regen health, do it again.

Don't worry too much about moving n shooting, don't worry about leading shots too much, etc.

It obviously is still enjoyed by plenty of people, but I've long since checked out the campaign side of things because gears core systems aren't nearly as fun on their own in a SP framework, doesn't help that it hardly has levels that let you do some fun wall bounce shens against the locust/swarm.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me really likes that I already know exactly what I'm getting with any Gears game. I wouldn't want every game to follow this but I like that I can depend on Gears to provide a very specific thing that I'm in the mood for every now and then.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I buy Gears because I like Gears.

Evolve it, but don't reinvent it to the level of things like BotW and God of War. It doesn't need it.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think it's just a dead end franchise :/

I'm two sessions deep into a co-op run of 5 at the moment (it's how I've played through every game in the series), and it's about the level of 4, which I already thought was the least remarkable one (still worth going through once, but yeah).

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Just iterate more things and keep the newer things more fleshed, a more vivid open-world segment, more jack abilities and how you can engage in combat, more weapons, IMO, would be good as well, especially more melee weapons because it feels so good to use the mace in Gears 5 that I want them to give us more melee weapons to destroy those motherfucker swarm :P.

I also want them to try to create fights and encounters in some big battlefields, I would love to have some big ass fight in some open area with a massive count of enemies to bring a feel of a big war happening, they did a good job making the world feel big in Gears 5 but now I want them to bring this feeling into the action.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There really isn't anything out there quite like gears, and gears 5 has convinced me the series is in good hands. So just keep building on that and I'll keep playing

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I don't mind. I love the current formula. But would be open to change. As long as it doesn't go all walk and talky, or too cut scene heavy.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Damn amazing game, so an iteration on what works is fine. Flesh out the open world more but don't Assassins Creed it.

No need to reboot it but a Horror based spinoff would be nice.

Also we have Gears Tactics soon for a variation on the Gears style.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
There is nothing like Gears out there so I don't see the point of re-inventing. The games are polished and Coalition is handling the franchise well.

Aug 26, 2018
Gears 5 already brought in 3 main changes from previous gears:

1. Open World -ish Areas
2. RPG Elements
3. Player Initiated Combat

I think they need to expand on these 3 things and flush them out. Based on the critical acclaim 5 is getting, it seems like these changes have been accepted well atleast by the overall community ( Gears Hardcore fans CANNOT BE PLEASED NO MATTER WHAT)

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
1) More varied and complex open world levels, more unique activities.
2) Show us new, unexplored parts of Sera, new never before seen creatures.
3) MORE Boss battles
4) No more cliffhangers
5) Bring back Pacific Rim
5) Scarlett/PC only

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I'd rather they expand on current ideas from 5.

The last thing I want for Gears is a complete reboot. I want Gears to be Gears. I'd probably drop the series if they "reinvent" it and it becomes unrecognizable.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think of Gears as a if "it ain't broke don't fix it" scenario. The core gameplay has always been solid. The foundation and pillars of gears (pop and shoot gameplay, executions, shotguns, lancers) is what makes Gears Gears in my eyes. Changing any of those pillars would make the game feel totally different imo. Making an evolution of the formula though i don't see an issue with and can only make the game more interesting. A lot of new weapons, executions would be enough to please me personally.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I fully trust The Coalition with the franchise, so what ever direction they wanna go in is fine by me. I think one of the biggest triumphs of the new game, is how it incorporated many modern elements, without it being a total reinvention, where it loses sight of itself and becomes something completely different. Gears is still totally unique, from the controls to the heavy center of gravity to the way most encounters manages to mix things up, as soon as you touch the controller, you're never in doubt you're playing Gears. It's so different from everything else. If you disguised popular third person shooters with stick figures and test levels, you might have trouble differentiating some of them from each other, but you'd know immediately which one was Gears. Gears 5 proves yet again how well the basic formula works and how engaging its universe has the potential to be, so I think it's worth preserving the series DNA for that reason alone, but The Coalition is massively talented and if they want to do it differently, so be it.

I'm more concerned about if they understand the importance of taking a break from a popular franchise from time to time, regardless of how good it is, than I am about the direction of the series.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a reboot, but a complete reinvention of the structure of the game. I want them to take 4 years off, and come back with something that blows people away.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
With how big of a success it seems Gears 5 is, I'm not sure it makes sense to drastically change it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In the past I've repeatedly been in favour of them re-booting the game, but it would be strange to do so now given Gears 5 ends on an unresolved cliffhanger. I say conclude this current narrative and character arc with an iterative update for Gears 6, and then re-boot for Gears 7.

To be fair they already changed a lot with Gears 5, they just now need to lean into that new stuff even harder. I do really enjoy the new changes though, and wouldn't ever want things to go back to classic Gears.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
As someone who finished the game last night, they're very clearly prepared for a Gears 6, so a next evolution of this formula would be best.

Also, their pop & cover mechanic is still unmatched by any third person shooter. No one has managed to get it to feel quite as good as Gears. Throwing that out would be insanity.

What they did with the story for Gears 5 is awesome, and the open world sections are super fun. Would love to see them continue to iterate on that for a sequel.

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
More iteration in the mainline Gears series, as they have done in 5.

However I would really like to see an offshoot in the Gears Universe, maybe a Resident Evil style horror game or a Prey/Bioshock style FPSRPG. Lots of cool lore to explore and flesh out.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I'd love for The Coalition to try out a new IP first. They've talked about the possibility. Then finish the second Gears trilogy with 6 strongly afterwards. They have found a new formula for Gears 5 and can build on that. I still expect them to go back to Gears right away though.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They need a deeper progression system than Jack, but this should probably be introduced in a spin-off rather than a core entry. Like Forza Horizon.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I love Gears for what it is, and think it still has one of the stronger mechanical foundations among big shooter franchises. I mostly just want them to make good, interesting, iterative changes with each entry, so that it stays feeling fresh.

I'm personally less interested in big structural changes (open world, etc.) or new systems (character progress, loot, etc.) than just changes that keep things new and interesting at the encounter level—things like enhancements to character movement, or weapon types, enemy types, set pieces. Things like that. Gears 5 (so far) seems to do some of the latter in addition to the former, so I'm happy with that.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
They dipped their toes in the actual iteration water this time and it payed off. Rod basically has said that if people respond to these changes well they would go even further next time.

Oct 25, 2017
personally, evolution of the current iteration is enough for me. Jack is fucking awesome and the open world sections were cool and a nice pacechanger. Do that in a better, more varied way and i'm a happy fan. Gears 5 is amazing as it is, though.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Iteration. If they're going to throw out the core formula why not make a new IP at that point? Phil should build a second team and let them do that anyway.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Whatever is pragmatic for a releasable product and good work/life balance for the team with next-gen increasing workload.

That considered - and I'm still only in the middle of Act 2 where a location is first semi-open - I'd never say no to investing those resources into more intimate, denser environments when open-linear/open-worlds are involved. Though, I think Gears 5 has the right idea in making the open space fast and easy to traverse, and making it apparent with clear landmarks when it's worth exploring on foot so you don't waste time combing every inch of snow in hopes of finding something meaningful.

A child of Uncharted 2's Tibetan Village sequence, but The Coalition had a good take on it, I felt. Among Xbox Game Studios, a better wax/animatronic museum tour than Halo 5's Meridian Station mission (fingers crossed for a more meaningful one of these in Infinite!). I'd love to see these blockbuster action movie games keep innovating on the (mostly!) non-combat, town immersion foil.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
A child of Uncharted 2's Tibetan Village sequence,

Gears has always had sequences like that, even back to the first one like
when you walk through the stranded village/quarter
. It might be known as an all out action series and it is to some extend, but if you go through it on an encounter to encounter basis, the best in the series are immaculately paced, because everything keeps changing, by constantly adding new features/gimmicks in every encounter and sometimes those are more slowly paced talking sections. Aside from when the checkpoints make you repeat those sections before the next encounter, that's one of the series greatest strength. I think Resident Evil 4 is the only game I've played that does it equally well, as the best in the Gears series.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anything to reboot or reinvent which can't be handled as an iteration?

Feb 10, 2018
I was saying they should go more an uncharted route, but after playing gears 5 they can keep the classic gameplay while also adding new things.
You got to give the coalition credit for sticking with its raw 3rd person gears control.

While I would also like a gears games more like tomb raider/uncharted, sticking to the classic gears gameplay does give the gears games some originality and makes them stand out.

Iteration. If they're going to throw out the core formula why not make a new IP at that point? Phil should build a second team and let them do that anyway.

Yes, this.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Gears has always had sequences like that, even back to the first one like
when you walk through the stranded village/quarter
Absolutely. Wild to consider how simple that was in scope compared to Gears 5's sequence. I'm glad The Coalition went all out with it for players chose to lose themselves in the environmental storytelling.
And then the level flip once the swarm arrived - which was obvious with the cover, but didn't feel cheap - was silly fun. Being able to use the Silverback exo-suit you saw on your descent down to uncle? Pheew.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I selected the idc option, but I don't think it reflects what I truly want.

I very much enjoyed the Gears campaign, but it was way too short. The open areas felt under utilized and empty. I love the idea of roaming around a vast open area and killing the bad guys, but there really wasn't much of that. They could of easily had those missions without the openness and it would've had the same results.

I want them to keep pushing this series further without losing its identity, which might be harder said than done.

Last edited: