• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

???

• Complete reinvention/reboot

• Evolution of the current formula/iteration

• I don't care either way

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 29, 2017
The core gameplay of Gears is perfect. Remix the trappings around the core systems as 5 did, but there's no need for complete reinvention. A Gears game without snap-into-cover would be like a Mario game without jumping.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
The Coalition are on the right track, I think that Gears 5 got the balance of the old and the new just right, and the series has been rejuvenated. I'd prefer them to continue with gradual changes, no drastic reinvention is needed at this point.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
They've already soft rebooted it just recently, I don't see why they'd hit the reset button so soon after.

How would you even reinvent it at this point without creating essentially a new IP?

Trickstah

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
If it ain't broke... as they say.

Not every game has to be similar. Gears is Gears. It works because it has stuck to its roots.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
I reckon they'll have to shake it up at some point, but next game probably wouldn't be a great time.

Presumably they'll try to close out the 'new trilogy' or at least the current story arc, so flipping gameplay on its head completely would probably be a bit messy.

Though as others have mentioned, if people really like the open world shenanigans a lot they'll probably lean into that more.

Not sure how I feel about it myself. The idea is nice and the skiff controls are really cool, but so far it just felt like riding around trying to find the random item / location that looks special and then starting a mini-mission. But I'm not very far in, so we'll see.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Iteration is fine, but evolve the new stuff introduced.

Open the world up more but still have a story like 5's.

Add massive Hives to the open world. Make the game world far more dangerous.

Make Horde mode more of a progression. bosses every 5 waves, but ramp them up gradually. By waves 30 - 50 you are fighting multiple bosses with multiple mini bosses.

Rework the large boss AI and movement. I always feel like the bosses, especially in Horde are dumb, slow moving and easy to trick and distract.

Oh, and get rid of those god damn slugs. They are a poorly designed enemy that has terrible b-line AI and can down you in a couple hits even on beginner.

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I think they should expand more on the rpg and open world elements, but there is nothing like gears out there and I haven't been this addicted to a game in a long time.

Rivo_Labrat

Apr 27, 2019
To those that want a complete reboot/reinvention I'd like to ask you to please leave gears alone. If it's not the game you like then that's OK. But please let those who are fans enjoy their game because there is nothing like it. Evolution is good. This nonsense of changing it into something else is not.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
Keep Gears feeling and playing like Gears. They own the cover shooter market, similar to Forza Horizon's situation. I don't see any business reason to change, and Gears fans can keep it kicking indefinitely.

Hopefully, at some point, the studio will be in the position to make side projects for other genres or whatever they want in or outside of the Gears universe at so it doesn't become another Bungie situation.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Iteration of Gears 5, since it's the best Gears game by a long shot. Flesh out the open world more, enhance the narrative and deepen the connection to the characters.

If people want reboot etc, just leave that to Gears spinoff like Pop and Tactics. Just work a good horror Gears spinoff as well please.

Type422

Nov 28, 2017
Currently at the end of chapter 2, but I would be happy if the next part is just like the first chapter :D The open world passages do nothing for me. Yes you can skip that stuff if you want, but then it's only much more filler. I'd be quite happy if it would be some epic gunfights with great setpieces and a memorable cast.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Reboot it already. Maybe I'm missing something, but spending a majority of my time sitting behind cover spots and aiming at enemy heads is not fun. Gears gameplay feels feels slow and lacks mobility.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ, God of War did a number on some people.
Not every game needs to completely reinvent itself, if you don't like it, don't fucking play it. You don't have to play it or like it, the world won't give the tiniest shit that you don't like Gears 6.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Keep the Semi-Open World and it is optional. Increases Campaign time by 25-30% maximum.

Increase RPG elements - customization of armor would be cool. More set pieces like Act 1 of Gears 5 (only in Act 2 at the moment), they could play around with multiple protags to tell branching stories.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Reboot it already. Maybe I'm missing something, but spending a majority of my time sitting behind cover spots and aiming at enemy heads is not fun. Gears gameplay feels feels slow and lacks mobility.

That's not how you play Gears at all, especially now with all the new offensive and defensive options - it's a crude caricature of the real thing, not the real thing itself.

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
If people want reboot etc, just leave that to Gears spinoff like Pop and Tactics. Just work a good horror Gears spinoff as well please.

Yes, I would like to see something like Gears Survivor VR spinoff that starts from events of Gears 2 where they drop to hollows and player is the sole survivor of the pod and need to get out of the caves.