• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should the next original Human in the Mario Universe be a PoC?

• Yes - Long overdue for a franchise that aims to be far reaching/inclusive as Mario

Votes: 279 52.1%
  • No - Nintendo should do whatever they want

Votes: 256 47.9%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
61oxhUpcbTL._SL1024_.jpg

So here's where we're at.

Nearing the better part of 50 years so far, we've yet to see a key/main/playable character of Color in a franchise as big as Mario. Nintendo as a whole could use better representation, but newer franchises like Arms and Splatoon! have made efforts to feature more diverse rosters at least.

But where does that leave the established Mario cast? Would such a move feel like they're "forcing it" or "catering"? Personally, I think such a far reaching franchise that looks to appeal to people of all walks of life, color and age has a responsibility to broaden the kind of human characters they feature outside of what they've had for almost half a century. I think the next time they choose to add a new human, they should see it as an opportunity to finally diversify a cast that so very sorely needs it.

Where do you guys land?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't see why not. Splatoon & ARMS are already showing progress on this front, so hopefully Mario follows suit. Hell, you could introduce a woman of color in the next 3D Mario game, similar to how Galaxy introduced Rosalina & Odyssey reintroduced Pauline.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I'd like to see an anthropomorphic amphibian-based character personally. We have humans and non-human mammals, multiple reptiles, even plant- and fungus-based characters. We are overdue.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Might be a hard ask when Peachette and Nina are the most interesting characters they've managed to create recently

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
www.mariowiki.com

Il Piantissimo

Il Piantissimo is a human disguised as a Pianta who appears in Super Mario Sunshine. His name is possibly a portmanteau of "Pianta" and "-issimo", or specifically "pianissimo", a dynamic marking in sheet music. The word "il" is an Italian definite...

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Throw some different skin colours on all the different Toads while their at it. That certainly is long overdue too.

Oct 27, 2017
The last new Mario human character is...Rosalina and she's over a decade old. Who knows when they'll even have a new human

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why not. But as far as the wording of the poll choices go, why wouldn't they want to?

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Inappropriate joke
They should just make Mario black for the next game, without explaining it, or making it a big deal or turning it into a gimmick. I don't see the harm; they should just go for it. Next Mario game, everything else stays the same, except that Mario is black and Peach can't stop smiling.

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
Make Daisy darker, she got an awesome boat and she is pale as space emo Peach.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
I wish they'd go back to darker skin Daisy. But I always thought of Mary O. as Asian descent.

But yes, more diversity the better.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would such a move feel like they're "forcing it" or "catering"?

Honestly there's no such thing. Diversity should always be considered, not only within the creation, but also within the team doing the creating. Anybody who thinks it's forced is just exemplifying the core problem, that representation is in such a piss poor state that trying to be more inclusive stands out.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
www.mariowiki.com

Il Piantissimo

Il Piantissimo is a human disguised as a Pianta who appears in Super Mario Sunshine. His name is possibly a portmanteau of "Pianta" and "-issimo", or specifically "pianissimo", a dynamic marking in sheet music. The word "il" is an Italian definite...
He's not black that's just the mailman from Ocarina of Time/MM with a tan
C0QS8eHUoAEYx7A.jpg

ZanderEzekial

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberspace
The next new Mario character should be Mario's uncle. He's a member of the Yakuza and he has a tragic backstory. He can shoot Bower with an SMG and then go "It's A Me, MariUnc"

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, yes, and yes!!

It's annoying seeing a new Mario character being a clone of a pre-existing white character like Gooigi and Peachette.

They are purposely choosing not to diverse the Mario cast and as a person of colour, it pisses me off.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They should, but Mario characters are so derivative in nature I don't really expect it.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
www.mariowiki.com

Il Piantissimo

Would be super down to see this guy return, he's a pretty funny idea tbh. Human dude just dressing up as a Mario character for no real reason? Kind of sad they never brought him back.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be visually interesting to see a black princess. It would add to the series' aesthetic variety. A sequel to Odyssey could visit a new kingdom with a new princess - maybe she could be it?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes of course. Also, give us darker skinned Daisy back. And put her into Luigi's Mansion 4, you cowards.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I honestly read the thread title as "Should the next original human Mario character be a PoS".

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is very careful about adding new human characters to the Mario IP, just look at how they treat Waluigi because Camelot created him.
But yes, why not?

Dec 15, 2017
Choices are poorly designed on this poll. Nintendo should do what they want, if they want to include characters from all ethnicities, why not? And if not, it's fine as well. Is their IP after all. Although I prefer them to create new characters from scratch rather than updating old ones.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
I land in the "no more human characters, please" and "Daisy should be de-white washed" scope, but yes, I'd love a character to be a PoC. Reintroduce Daisy in the main series with a darker skin (she has the backstory + some games to back that up), and you wouldn't even need to create a new character.

The thing with Mario though is that it's prolly not having a new human character. 12 years since the last one (Rosalina).

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should just make Mario black for the next game, without explaining it, or making it a big deal or turning it into a gimmick. I don't see the harm; they should just go for it. Next Mario game, everything else stays the same, except that Mario is black and Peach can't stop smiling.
🥴

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Less human characters in the Mario universe please. I love nabbits design and other silly stuff like that. Waluigi, daisy and rosalina suck.

just create a new IP if you want to do someone who is a person of color.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
if you vote no you're racist

I voted no because of your comment. Because it's absurd and too extreme.

I'm actually surprised the way the votes have turned out. I figured it'd be 90-10 or something. I guess the "should" in the question is making it so folks feel OK saying "no" as it makes it a different question than if it were put less demanding.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I voted no, not because I actually think no (or yes for that matter), but because I support the second half of that particular option.

Nintendo should do what they want. If that means we get a PoC the next time we get a new Mario character, awesome. If that means we don't, that's okay too.

All that said, diversity is good and I support the idea of asking Nintendo for more representation. I just don't think they 'should'.

I don't like the poll options or the language used in the question basically.