• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should the next original Human in the Mario Universe be a PoC?

• Yes - Long overdue for a franchise that aims to be far reaching/inclusive as Mario

Votes: 279 52.1%
  • No - Nintendo should do whatever they want

Votes: 256 47.9%

• Total voters

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
no more humans, nintendo's lightning is good enough for 30 years

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Choices are poorly designed on this poll. Nintendo should do what they want, if they want to include characters from all ethnicities, why not? And if not, it's fine as well. Is their IP after all. Although I prefer them to create new characters from scratch rather than updating old ones.

Your comments just reeks of white privilege, ignorant and racism.

You're basically saying screw people of colour, let Nintendo do their own thing.

The entirety of their human characters are white, the toads are also white. They are so creative at coming up with characters and yet struggle with creating a brand new human character who is a person of colour.

That's a problem that they need to fix.

Less human characters in the Mario universe please. I love nabbits design and other silly stuff like that. Waluigi, daisy and rosalina suck.

just create a new IP if you want to do someone who is a person of color.

Or they can create a new Mario character who is a person of colour and a new IP starring a person of colours.

Furthermore they have tons of non human characters and white characters and you're balking at the idea of adding one, a measly pititful one new human character in to the Mario series who also happens to be a person of colour.

I think perhaps that you might be racist.

But... theyre Italian.

And? There exist Italian people of colour.

What an ignorant statement to make.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like if a POC character is going to pop up, it might actually happen in the movie first before appearing in the games.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Mario characters are caricatures, a Japanese person's idea of an Italian (Italian American if New Donk City is NYC) plumber. Not sure a PoC character will be any different and met with open arms.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
If they want to sure why not.
Nintendo doesn't exactly add main characters to the Mario universe quickly and most of them that do exist are barely used so I'm not expecting any new characters anytime soon.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The Mario characters are caricatures, a Japanese person's idea of an Italian (Italian American if New Donk City is NYC) plumber. Not sure a PoC character will be any different and met with open arms.
They did a pretty good job with Marina & Twintelle, so I'm not that worried.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
That "No" description is not really helping its case. It's more or less admitting/implying that it's forced instead of a natural thing.

In any case, Nintendo barely uses human characters as it is. It's the Mario Bros. and Peach most of the time. Wario, Waluigi and Daisy are put in the corner.

They seem to prefer diversity through non-humans, as most of the Mario cast is not human to begin with.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly a little torn. If they add a new human Mario character, absolutely, there's no reason not to have them be non-white or even another kind of minority. I've seen in other threads that, for example, Birdo and Vivian are very important to people, so representation is important even with Mario.

But I feel a little conservative in a sense when it comes to the Mario universe which makes me apprehensive toward the idea of adding new human characters in the first place. Adding a human character to Mario feels like a big event, and adding a minority should be huge. We're definitely going to see them a million times both officially and in fanart like we did with Rosalina. I'd like the next human character to be a minority, and I want them to feel like they add enough and have a personality that we want to see again and again. I want them front and center. I don't want them to be someone relegated to a side game.

I'm sure that I'd feel a little less averse if you could have a minority that's some sort of fantastic creature because we get new fantastic creatures all of the time, but I don't think you can do that with visible minorities like this. On the flip side, those creatures would probably be easier to sideline on top of being distant from the given group by way of their species, and so worse for representation on all fronts.

Last edited:

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
And? There exist Italian people of colour.

What an ignorant statement to make.

Wow, guys I was just joking. As someone said, they're Japanese versions of cartoon Italians who look very white. Im in no way actually arguing Mario and Luigi are "people" of color.

My bad, sorry for the miscommunication.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
The Mario universe ought to just wholly incorporate Miis... even in platformers, it ought to be Miis instead of Toads.

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
That'd be pretty cool actually. I love it when they introduce new characters like Rosalina (ok, that was a while ago) and like you said the series aims to be far reaching, so everyone deserves representation.

Jan 10, 2018
Most of Mario cast members are born from the technical limitations of the Arcade/NES plattforms and just happen to be white due to that, not really because they supposed to represent anyone. And they still mostly treat colors as colors, not all too much to represent anyone. We are more likely to see something pink or green than white or black.

But yes, would be cool. But also, I think we should not forget that they approach these things fundamentally different than a western company typically would.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, guys I was just joking. As someone said, they're Japanese versions of cartoon Italians who look very white. Im in no way actually arguing Mario and Luigi are "people" of color.

My bad, sorry for the miscommunication.

Those kind of jokes aren't funny.

People of colour born in country where being white is the norm, get targeted and labelled as not really a true citizen of that country.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
So what's that supposed to mean? Are there no people of color in Italy now?

There are. I'm just saying that using the excuse that everyone in Mushroom Kingdom is an ethnic Italian does not fly because Italy does not exist in the Mario Universe. Nintendo could give Mario a black biological brother and they wouldn't have to explain it. It's a children's fantasy land where logic and reason does not exist.

I'm not sure why 43% of people here are against it. Adding a POC human would not in any way effect the Mario cannon. Their is none!

Nov 4, 2018
Italy does not exist in the Mario Universe.
Maybe not at the moment but Paris and New York sure as hell do now.
Mario-Kart-Tour-Courses.jpg

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Sarisaland seems such a mix of varying xenophobias and orientalism, with the moai heads and chinese hat enemies, all the way down to the kung fu fighting fanfare, that it's really strange that we haven't at least gotten a vaguely Eastern princess out of all of that. All those desert levels, and she isn't even Persian? Do we need to go full Metal Slug or what?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Would they also be a weird stereotype like Mario and Luigi? Those games are full of strange stereotypes and caricatures.

iirc the only POC in Mario Sunshine was the guy who runs fast?
Nintendo has grown a lot recently in that regard, but I still don't trust Mario as an IP to have that type of honest representation but who knows.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't see why not. Hopefully if they do it though, it's a major character, not some NPC who's in one level.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
I don't think they really need to introduce even another human, with the ones we have right now is enough along with their animal friends.

That's why I support the iniciative that Nintendo is making to make the Miis playable like NSMBU where I can play as myself, a Peruvian.
The whole purpose of the Miis is putting yourself which is a great solution.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see why not. Hopefully if they do it though, it's a major character, not some NPC who's in one level.

I mean, that's already a problem since Nintendo tends to stick with the main 4 + Yoshi and Jr. occasionally, the obligatory gimmick character and loads of Toads.

Even Rosalina was mostly secondary in Galaxy, to the point of being an extra in the sequel.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I mean, that's already a problem since Nintendo tends to stick with the main 4 + Yoshi and Jr. occasionally. And loads of Toads.

Even Rosalina was mostly secondary in Galaxy, to the point of being an extra in the sequel.

A character as significant as Rosalina would be a good starting point, I think. She later got to be playable in 3D World, after all.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe this poll is as close as it.

of course the next Mario characters should be POC. I don't buy the whole 'let the creators do what they want.' Argument. These games are made by hundreds of people, but new character decisions are made by just a few. And look, Japan is behind the times when it comes to minorities. I don't think it's a bad thing to obligate them to step up and make a positive statement.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Surprising poll result. I really can't see why people would be voting against this? The last two prominent 'human' characters were Pauline and Rosalina. Why shouldn't they shake things up next time with a PoC character? I could maybe understand if this was story-heavy series and the idea of forcing the developer down a specific path seems weird, but...this is fucking Mario lol. These characters could be any ethnicity and it wouldn't change anything about the game whatsoever. It's only a positive.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, who will answer no to wanting to see a PoC in any cast of characters?

I will say that they shouldn't do it just to appease anyone. It should be something they actually want to do. That's probably why the poll is the way it is. It's not that great of poll options to be honest. Should have left the "nintendo should do what they want" out of it, because it sounds like the poll is between Nintendo being forced to put a PoC in to or just doing their own thing at their own pace.

I would have just went with "do you want to see a PoC in Mario: Yes or No". Would have most likely been all yes.