• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should the next original Human in the Mario Universe be a PoC?

• Yes - Long overdue for a franchise that aims to be far reaching/inclusive as Mario

Votes: 279 52.1%
  • No - Nintendo should do whatever they want

Votes: 256 47.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I'd like to see more non-human characters. Human characters tend to be boring in video games and Mario is no exception (actually it probably has some of the most boring characters in all video games).

Colocho

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely.
Also is so bizarre to me that the franchise is so old and it has so few characters.

Firmament1

Aug 15, 2019
Where's the option for "Indifferent"? I've got absolutely nothing against that, but I wouldn't by any means begrudge them if they didn't do so.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
www.mariowiki.com

Il Piantissimo

Il Piantissimo is a human disguised as a Pianta who appears in Super Mario Sunshine. His name is possibly a portmanteau of "Pianta" and "-issimo", or specifically "pianissimo", a dynamic marking in sheet music. The word "il" is an Italian definite...

Would be super down to see this guy return, he's a pretty funny idea tbh. Human dude just dressing up as a Mario character for no real reason? Kind of sad they never brought him back.

He could be the new villain of Sunshine 2 if they ever make it. He finds Shadow Mario's (Bowser Jr's) magic paint brush at the end...

Oct 26, 2017
Sure. Not something I'm exactly passionate about or anything but a more diverse roster is never a bad thing. Albeit, that being said, I'd be more interested in seeing more non-human characters as those tend to be more weird and unique

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As of writing, 167 people apparently have a problem with adding poc characters.
As I said in the rest of my post, I blame that on the wording of the poll. I feel better results would have appeared from just asking if people were okay with PoCs being in the Mario cast. Not this whole "Nintendo is obligated to put a PoC as the next Mario character" angle the poll comes off as from it's choices.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
No but only because there shouldn't be any more human characters. I wanna see some actual interesting new character designs in this series.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I'm aware - that's why I said 'prominent' character rather than new. They still made the decision to bring her back as opposed to using a new PoC character, though.
Ah, I gotcha. Forgive me if I am nitpicking your phrasing but, I don't think it's a valid argument to say that brought her back "as opposed to" making a new poc character. I don't disagree with the fact that the next human character should be a poc, just that Odyssey wasn't a "we decided to bring her back instead" situation. I feel like they were making the callbacks and were like, what if we brought her back and did this big todo on the history of mario as a musical number. Not so much of, we need a character to fill this slot, should we grab someone old or make someone new? Know what I mean? I feel like were on the same page and I'm just nitpicking though.

noffles

Nov 10, 2017
I don't think they're capable of creating a cartoon poc without being overtly racist so I'm going to say no.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really have any hopes because they'll end up being relegated to multiplayer VS spin offs like Rosalina and Daisy. The former hasn't played a significant role since her debut.