• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, there is no "Sands of Time" trilogy. There is Sands of Time, one of the best games of that generation.

Sands of Time is a masterpiece because of Jordan Mechner.

Warrior Within stomped all over the legacy of the first game. Two Thrones was a weak attempt to mashup the edgelord energy of WW with the poetic beauty of SoT.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me or are there more and more Prince of Persia threads lately?

Since the last thread a week or so ago I have been thinking about these games so much. I really miss them, and wish Ubi would port them to PS4 (without the glitches from the PS3 versions). I think there should be another one, too, especially since no other game today really does what Prince of Persia did in the Sands of Time trilogy. I'm not just talking about rewinding time, but those timing-based puzzles in 3D? Those corridors filled with traps? I need more of that. There's just nothing like it in 3D, so I imagine there would be a market for a new one with gameplay like that.

In that respect the 2008 one, while a good game, was disappointing, because it didn't give us more of that unique Prince of Persia gameplay. It was too different. Forgotten Sands was good-looking but it had too many flaws. Its combat wasn't very fun, and it had too many game-y elements (e.g. floating red orbs) while the PoP:SoT team did their best to hide these things and make them believable. Speaking of which, Patrice Desilets talking about Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time on Devs Play is such an insightful video, and I recommend it to everyone who has an interest in game design as well as every Prince of Persia fan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ODNMBG4MUA

So yeah, we really haven't got a good PoP game in over 10 years... but I hope we get one soon!

Last edited:

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I think Ubisoft should revive the IP, imo there's room for both PoP and AssCreed. AssCreed is your typical Ubisoft open world formula but PoP could steer in the direction of the Sony exclusives like Uncharted, Last of Us and the new God of War as a tight, scripted adventure with platforming.
This is a great idea. There is definitely enough room for both series to breathe on their own, especially now that AC has gone fully in the direction of open sandbox RPG-lite. POP would be awesome as an Uncharted-like game but with much better and tighter gameplay.

Ian Henry

Oct 29, 2017
Bring it back!!!!! Would love to see that happen

The series set the standard for gaming for years to come. God Of War, Uncharted, and Assassin's Creed wouldn't have thrived if it weren't for PoP Sands Of Time trilogy. Truly phenomenal. An announcement for a new game I saw one of my dreams. Let this series be celebrated and honored again for its poetic and versatile nature.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
What is this post

Sands of Time is LIGHT YEARS ahead every game you mentioned. Ico felt like a huge joke/put me to sleep ESPECIALLY after playing PoP

The best AC game (2) is the only one where the platforming isn't about pressing a trigger to auto-parkour, yet it still feels like a poor man's PoP. The level design isn't even comparable, AC doesn't add shit to the genre. A new PoP will pretty much make everyone shut up on the usual complaints about Ubisoft as a company, just like how well received the BG&E2 reveal was

What I meant is that all those games have completely different aims. It's logical for PoP to have better climbing/more challenging mechanics than those games considering what they try to achieve.

I was trying to say that those have better gameplay of something.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My take is that Warrior Within took some bad missteps in terms of story and combat, but its platforming was still excellent. Twin Thrones tries to rectify that but retain most of the combat, so it still ended up a little worse than Sands of Time.

Is Forgotten Sands good? I didn't like 2008 at all.

Karnova

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Beyond a 4K Remaster I'd rather see Ubisoft do something new than make a sequel to a series that was well explored and most gamers undoubtedly don't care much about.

A new PoP game in general would be interesting, I'd even like another Retro Throwback because the Cinematic Platformer is an interesting concept that I don't think has been fully explored. There's definitely a market for that type of game as people love Limbo and Inside and yet I don't think any devs had tried to be as challenging as the original Prince of Persia did in how you had to figure out the puzzling death traps.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The only game worth it in the trilogy is sands of time though. If only one game out of 3 is worth it, can it really be called something worth bringing back? Its like Crystal dynamics first tomb raider reboot trilogy. Only anniversary was good, that doesnt necessitate a remastering of that trilogy
What???
Legend was legit.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
AssCreed is a pretty poor abbreviation. Still gotta type out half the name of the game, not even concise. just ass is fine really

Last edited:
OP
OP
NO!R

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, there is no "Sands of Time" trilogy. There is Sands of Time, one of the best games of that generation.

Warrior Within stomped all over the legacy of the first game. Two Thrones was a weak attempt to mashup the edgelord energy of WW with the poetic beauty of SoT.

My God, what is it with these faux-connoisseur hipster hot takes? I swear this is almost the worst trait of the game enthusiast crowd; they're the most toxic and reductive forms of discussion that lead to shit, hive mind opinions that you often see permeating and derailing good analysis and conversation.

Don't you realize you look like a fool idolizing one entry in a franchise while handwaving the time and effort of hundreds of people all in the same breath because you can't or won't just say you've got an agenda?

You're better off just stating how you feel about these games instead of spouting nonsense as fact.

Prince of Persia and the Sands of Time trilogy are my favorite franchise of all time. I've played each game around 200 times and I still play them atleast 2-3 times yearly. They hold a special place to my heart and they're very dear to me. It's 4 am and I shoud go to bed but I'll write off this before I go.

They were really popular back then and one of Ubi's first pillars as of what they are today.

Prince of Persia Sands of Time was a revolutionary game for 2003. There was nothing like it on the market, and it innovated so much with it's platforming and puzzle. It had an amazing atmosphere and one of Ubisoft's best soundtracks composed by no other then the brilliant Stuart Chatwood.

It wasn't that perfect, it's combat was functional but at the end it wasn't very deep and striking down foes to absorb them became repetitive pretty quick. The fact that they also decided to add health to Farah was also a mistake since her AI would just get itself in nasty situations resoluting you in game over screens while you were doing fine. It's health upgrade system was also pretty flawed, the bigger you up'ed your health bar the more damage you took...

My dad got this game for my and my brother back in winter of 2003 for the PC. Me and him were legit amazed of how good the game was and how ''next gen'' it felt. Legit never felt so much invested to a game before.

One year later and prehaps one of the most controversial sequels. Prince of Persia Warrior Within. I've read everything about this game on the internet since it came out and untill today and I do. It greatly pains me that such a fantastic game got so shat on just because of it's tone change. All that pepole nowdays that know about this game is ''EDGE EMO PRINCE GODSMACK".

While it's true that Ubisoft ofted for a more darker setting and ''ugh'' desgins to attract more pepole to the franchise what this very infamous sequel holds is much more. The sequel takes place 7 years after the original game and meets the Prince hunted by this dark enity called the Dahaka due to the fact that he was supposed to die for releasing the sands of time and it will see to it that he meets his fate.

The prince spend the last 7 years with very little to no sleep always on the run getting more old and tired and also developing a more ''serious'' personaltiy.

WW imrpoves on SoT's formula in so many ways.

- The once simple and shallow combat now became a real piece of work. It was one of the best western combats at the time and it can still hold it's own even today. You can do so much with it, each action can lead up to a diffrent one. You can disharm enemies, choke them, throw them off the clfis, counter them, parry them and many more. It was really, really complex for 2004.

- The linear design that SoT had was now improved by a ''3D Metrovania sandbox'' as I like to call it. The Isand of Time in which the game takes place isn't linear but follows more of metrovania design with portions of it unlocking it as you aquire new abilities and the story progresses. There's also the time traveling that comes with it with you contnatly moving between Past and Present with the present time portals changing the environments and the trap lay outs even more. From the beach as you start off you can walk all the way into the main castle and it's layout with many paths. It has many places such as the Botanical Gardens, The Clockwork Mechanical Tower, The Mist Caves.The Library and many more. It has huge and very well designed levels and complex build around perfectly for this type of game. I wish Ubi kept this layout...

- The encoutner design and enemiy varity is also greaty improved from SoT. First game had 3-4 basic enemy types, and 2-3 brute types and that's about it, also just 2 boss fights which weren't very good. WW has enemies specific to the region you're currently in. The palace features mostly Skull Raiders in the Present but if you travel to the Past now you'll also meet Bladedancers and Shadedaggers.
The mechanical towers has the dogs and the scavagers, the botanical gardens and the first tower have assasins and Keeprs. There's a great variety here and all of them can be quite dealy if you don't play the game seriosuly and use the combat's tools. They're not exactly braindead and act based on your movment, doge, help each other out and even sync attacks in sessions to suprise you.

There's also the ''bigger'' enemy types like the Thralls which you can climb on their back up into their head and do some serious damage while trying to doge their grabs and try to throw you off their backs, and the Crowmaster which are 1v1 sword duelist type which take alot more time and skill to beat.

The boss fights are also quite good and they ooze with atmosphere because of once again the score of the very underrated Stuart Chatwood.

I think one of the biggest additons to the game and the most rememberd are the Dakaha chances which are very blood pumping and scary. I remember how my heart was racing everytime you'd encoutner him and everything was crumbling around you while you were trying to run. If you played this game you know that feeling.

I've listed what I think are the most important changes and improvemnts from Sands of Time. There's many more QoL such as the sand powers, traps, life upgrades, platforming and many more. I wanted to list everything but it's very late and I doubt many of you care anyway,

From a gameplay perspective WW is a better game then SoT. It brings many major improvments to the table. The only step back I'd say they took was with puzzles as the game pretty much doesn't have any ''real'' puzzles. It's mostly platforming and traps that fit this cathegory. There's also the backtracking to the early zones as the Sand Wraith which also isn't that ideal but in a game this big it was bound to happen. They only made the game in 1 year.

I know that many of pepole dislike WW and I don't blame any for it. But I want you all to know that behind lies a fantastic game and one amazing journey. If you love good gameplay and fantastic platforming I'd highly recommand you all the trilogy and this one a go.

It's a very underrated game forgot by time and it really hurts me a bit that many didn't even go that deep into it to see how well crafted it is.

I would love to write my full thoughts about T2P, TFS and PoP 2008 but right now it's 4:44 AM as I'm finishig this up and I have to get up for work at 7. I'm sorry if this dragged on for a it long.

The PoP Sands of Time trilogy is one of the best from the PS2 era and some of Ubi's best. I was going trough a very hard time back then and these games builded me into the person I am today and spark my imagination like no other. I"m not very fond of Ubisoft now but deep down I will always love them.

I cannot thank enough Patrice Deslies, Jordan, Jean Christophe Guyot and many other from the Ubi montreal team for making this fuckign awesome series. God bless you all.

Most people think time is like a river that flows swiftly and surely in one direction. But I have seen the face of time and can tell you, they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am and why I say this. Come, and I shall tell you a tale like none you have ever heard...

T2T's ending always makes me a bit eye teary. The Prince's story and joruney is something everyone shoud experiance.

Since 2010 I pray that Ubisoft would maybe release a new game in the series but I'm never losing hope. A new PoP and DMCV are my dream announcements that I will see one day happen.

Preach it.

And get some sleep. Lol

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Give me a remaster trilogy ffs Ubisoft. I know you have your precious ass guild to take care of, but at least rember us PoP fans for like, 3 seconds. Two Thrones especially, legit sequel and on equal footing with Sands of Time. You know while you are at it, throw in Forgotten Sands Wii, its like a midquel to Warriors Within.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
My God, what is it with these faux-connoisseur hipster hot takes? I swear this is almost the worst trait of the game enthusiast crowd; they're the most toxic and reductive forms of discussion that lead to shit, hive mind opinions that you often see permeating and derailing good analysis and conversation.

Don't you realize you look like a fool idolizing one entry in a franchise while handwaving the time and effort of hundreds of people all in the same breath because you can't or won't just say you've got an agenda?

You're better off just stating how you feel about these games instead of spouting nonsense as fact.
Agenda? Is saying Godfather I is better than Godfather III sign of an agenda, or simply a (widely shared) opinion? Godfather III had even more people involved in its production than I. Is it simply "handwaving" to say that their efforts were in service of something less artistically significant?

Mechner brought seriousness and a deeply learned sensibility to his work on Sands of Time. He'd evidenced a great talent for this sophisticated narrative and dialogue with his work on The Last Express. Sands of Time draws deeply on the tradition of the 1001 Nights, and on Persian legends like the story of Rostam. The dialogue has a poetic lyricism to it, the storytelling is mythic and surreal, and that storytelling is built into the very structure of the beautifully designed environments.

For me at least, the environments in the next two games feel compartively arbitrary and undetailed. The visual presentation is muddy. The storytelling is comparatively flimsy, the art design (reaching a real low with characters like Shahdee) is often adolescent, and the dialogue is clumsy and awkward.

Sands of Time begins with this line:
"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time and I can tell you they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am and why I say this; sit down and I will tell you a tale like none that you have ever heard."

Warrior Within begins with the prince getting slashed in the face by a woman wearing an outfit that makes Soul Calibur's Ivy look like a mormon. His response? Screaming "You bitch!" Really starting off on a high note.

Two Thrones tries to revive something of the tone of Sands of Time and marry it to the heavy metal sensibility of Warrior Within. But one only has to compare the scenes involving the character of
Farah
to note the difference between the games. The dialogue in TT is dismal and awkward, meaningless conversations about pomegranates. By contrast, the relationship between the two main characters in Sands of Time draws on the innovations of Ico to create a deeply felt relationship that evolve organically through a mixture of cutscenes, gameplay interactions, and great environmental dialogue. It's one of the most well drawn and organic game relationships of the period.

Last edited:

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
I do share your opinion that SoT is better than the other two games, but I do think those other two games are still rather good, with WW improving on some of the platforming for example. However, while Mechner did play a large role, he was not the only person who made Sands of Time as great as it is. A lot of the POP Team just went on to work directly on Assassin's Creed after SoT. That includes Patrice Desilets, the director, who I think had just as much or more influence than Mechner in delivering the masterpiece that they did. As I mentioned above I highly recommend watching the Devs Play video where he talks about SoT, what his ideas were and what everyone's role was. It really shows that had he been at the helm of a direct SoT sequel, it would not have turned out like Warrior Within.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
I do share your opinion that SoT is better than the other two games, but I do think those other two games are still rather good, with WW improving on some of the platforming for example. However, while Mechner did play a large role, he was not the only person who made Sands of Time as great as it is. A lot of the POP Team just went on to work directly on Assassin's Creed after SoT. That includes Patrice Desilets, the director, who I think had just as much or more influence than Mechner in delivering the masterpiece that they did. As I mentioned above I highly recommend watching the Devs Play video where he talks about SoT, what his ideas were and what everyone's role was. It really shows that had he been at the helm of a direct SoT sequel, it would not have turned out like Warrior Within.
I agree that Patrice also deserves enormous credit for the quality of that game, I think that's a very fair qualification. For me there is more of what I love about Sands of Time in Assassin's Creed than there is in Warrior Within. The sense of mood and attention to detail is very present, as is this unique mixture of historical sensibility and distinctly contemporary flash. Warrior Within completely misunderstood that latter part, taking it into the realm of music video excess. There is an elegance and grace to the movement in Sands of Time (I know the team was very inspired by Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) which is also in the core DNA of the Creed franchise.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to write my full thoughts about T2P, TFS and PoP 2008 but right now it's 4:44 AM as I'm finishig this up and I have to get up for work at 7. I'm sorry if this dragged on for a it long.

Please do, whenever you have the time.

I still play PoP from time to time and WW is my favorite because of the gameplay and story.
For all the edginess it had, WW has an equally wonderful game under that.

OP
OP
NO!R

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Agenda? Is saying Godfather I is better than Godfather III sign of an agenda, or simply a (widely shared) opinion? Godfather III had even more people involved in its production than I. Is it simply "handwaving" to say that their efforts were in service of something less artistically significant?

Mechner brought seriousness and a deeply learned sensibility to his work on Sands of Time. He'd evidenced a great talent for this sophisticated narrative and dialogue with his work on The Last Express. Sands of Time draws deeply on the tradition of the 1001 Nights, and on Persian legends like the story of Rostam. The dialogue has a poetic lyricism to it, the storytelling is mythic and surreal, and that storytelling is built into the very structure of the beautifully designed environments.

For me at least, the environments in the next two games feel compartively arbitrary and undetailed. The visual presentation is muddy. The storytelling is comparatively flimsy, the art design (reaching a real low with characters like Shahdee) is often adolescent, and the dialogue is clumsy and awkward.

Sands of Time begins with this line:
"Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time and I can tell you they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am and why I say this; sit down and I will tell you a tale like none that you have ever heard."

Warrior Within begins with the prince getting slashed in the face by a woman wearing an outfit that makes Soul Calibur's Ivy look like a mormon. His response? Screaming "You bitch!" Really starting off on a high note.

Two Thrones tries to revive something of the tone of Sands of Time and marry it to the heavy metal sensibility of Warrior Within. But one only has to compare the scenes involving the character of
Farah
to note the difference between the games. The dialogue in TT is dismal and awkward, meaningless conversations about pomegranates. By contrast, the relationship between the two main characters in Sands of Time draws on the innovations of Ico to create a deeply felt relationship that evolve organically through a mixture of cutscenes, gameplay interactions, and great environmental dialogue. It's one of the most well drawn and organic game relationships of the period.

Congratulations on elaborating, but I maintain that positing the first game as some form of high art compared to the following sequels is disingenuous at best, utterly naive at worst.

The objectification of the female characters was overt in WW but let's not pretend Farah was exempt from being an exotic trophy, especially in that bath cutscene. The writing in SoT was earnest but far from good. With regards to the art direction, your appreciation of classical Arabic folk tales may be skewing your perspective of what "surreal" means to favor your high opinion of SoT. One could just as easily argue that the muted, impressionistic, painterly look of the island of time shares more with the often praised art style of Team ICO games than the golden, sometimes moonlit Middle Eastern fairy tale look of the first game.

Warrior Within had a more somber theme of predestination and consequences that it fully committed to, and if you cared to look past Shadee's ass (a character that frankly gets thrown away in the first hour of the game), you'd see the same writing quality in the scene that sets up to the Prince's quest.

I could say that I find your judgement of quality in writing between The Two Thrones and Sands of Time just as arbitrary as you perceived the environments in the sequels. To my mind it was a rekindling of Farah's and the Prince's chemistry in the first game. The characters were understandingly different and further along in their development because of the altered timeline, but their dialogue was just as serviceable as in the first game.

Again, this notion that Sands of Time is some sort of standalone instance of higher art is perhaps a little too nostalgic and steeped in that reactionary disdain for Warrior Within's more objectionable choices.

I don't think you're seriously bringing up the Godfather into a comparison to early 2000's videogames. Lol

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
The Sands of Time is the only game I've ever played where I immediately started a new game after beating it. It is one of my favorite games of all time. It was also one of the games being reviewed on the first episode of X-Play I ever watched, so that was cool. I still remember that episode because they also reviewed the original Call of Duty game, and a third game that I can't remember, but all three games got 5/5 ratings.

Does anyone know a way to add 1920x1080 resolutions to the GOG version of Sands of Time? I'd like to play it again, but with a more modern resolution. I did a little Googling, but couldn't find anything substantial.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know a way to add 1920x1080 resolutions to the GOG version of Sands of Time? I'd like to play it again, but with a more modern resolution. I did a little Googling, but couldn't find anything substantial.

Google uniws and download it. It support both SoT and WW. T2T doesn't need it.

Soluzar

Dec 25, 2017
On the contrary to the prevailing opinion, I'd say that the environment traversal is at a level I much prefer in Assassin's Creed over PoP, of which I never managed to finish a game.

I like the style of Sands of Time, but... ehh, it gets very samey for me.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
The best PoP you probably never played is this:

cover_large.jpg

A REALLY great PoP and action-adventure in general.

[Wii version is a different game respect the 360/PS3/PC one, that is still quite decent and fun]

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
The Sands of Time is the only game I've ever played where I immediately started a new game after beating it. It is one of my favorite games of all time. It was also one of the games being reviewed on the first episode of X-Play I ever watched, so that was cool. I still remember that episode because they also reviewed the original Call of Duty game, and a third game that I can't remember, but all three games got 5/5 ratings.

You can read up on how to do widescreen res here, it's how I was able to do 1440p: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Prince_of_Persia:_The_Sands_of_Time#Widescreen_resolution

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Please do, whenever you have the time.

I still play PoP from time to time and WW is my favorite because of the gameplay and story.
For all the edginess it had, WW has an equally wonderful game under that.

Thank you for reading! I had a bouch of thoughts last night that I wasn't able to put down properly last night so I'll try to share what I remember.

Where was I? Ah yes, Prince of Persia The Two Thrones.

T2T is a wierd one. The game started off development as Prince of Persia The Kindred Blades and was also going to be more ambicious game.

zh1k8Hp.jpg

4vn3Sjz.jpg

The game was the struggle between light dark.

• Play and master two distinct characters: Wield the powers and weapons of two master warriors with different combat styles, attitudes, and histories.
  • Choose your way to kill: Master the expanded Free-Form Fighting system to destroy enemies in your own style; strangle enemies from afar with the deadly Daggertail; or surprise them with full-speed one-shot kills using a brand new stealth art. The choice is yours.
  • Battle freely through Babylon: Dominate enemies on the perilous rooftops, dodge through chaotic streets, and ambush pursuers in dark, underground passageways.
  • Immerse yourself in a dramatic story: Experience unparalleled depth in storytelling as you fight your way through a twisting tale filled with adrenaline, tension and discovery.
  • Manipulate time to surprise enemies: Execute powerful attacks against entire armies by slowing down or rewinding time, or surprise them by using some all-new Sands of Time powers.
  • Experience a masterful blend of gameplay: True to the Prince of Persia franchise, the game provides a variety of action combat, agility and story-driven puzzles - all masterfully blended together into a rich gaming experience.
Sadly everything about it got scraped and it's concept and what little remained of it became The Two Thrones. They tried to combine the best of both worlds and the project became a bit too ambicious for them. The game's design suffred greatly from this.

The main world design is a huge step back from PoP WW. It's no longer interconected or preserves any of the ''3d metroidvania'' the previous game. It was back on full on linear sands of time, I'd say even more so then the first game.

They tried to preserve what they could from KB so the basic ''stealth'' is also present here with the Prince being able to insta kill his enemies from behind if promped rightly. This was just functional and a wierd additon to the game. It felt really out of place imo.

The enemy/encounter design also took a huge step back from WW. There's the basic brutes, the archers and that's it for the most of the game. There's also hounds, Illusions, invisible enemies and bladedancers but they're rehased from WW and put into a new skin. The mini bosses also got removed with the except of one which is also a rehash from WW and takes on the form of a Trhall that you ride for a bit of time. It's the PoP game with the most bosses.

You got the huge Klompa that you fight in the arena. It's a decent fight but it relies too much on ''press the attack button when the dagger glows'' thing that they've added with the new stealth system.

Mahasti which is a shameless Shadee reskin once again. I don't consider this one very good tho it's sound, design and atmosphere are top notch.

latest

The Twin Warriors is one of the best boss fight in the series and it really demands you to be mechanically decent and also listen to the Dark Prince's tips if you struggle. You vs 2 opponents stronger then you in a circle of fire with no sands power allowed. Best boss in the game by far.

latest
latest

Then the final boss is the transformed Vizier which is pretty good and nothing more too add.

Now that I've done talking about enemies I'd like to get right into the combat. The Two Thrones uses the great template they created for Warrior Within.

Sadly it's a bit dumbed down with them removing some of the awesome moves and combos you could do. If I had to guess around 30-40% was removed? I mean it makes sense since they also removed many of the enemy types so even if you had the full on system there was nothing that you could properly use it on since the game's encoutner design wasn't made for it.

One of the biggets additions to T2T was The Dark Prince which was a welcome and pretty awesome change. This one was also changed from Kindred Blades as is no longer being able to switch on the fly but now there's sections where you transform into it.

The Dark Prince works similar to the Sand Wraith from WW. Your life constnatly drains while you play as him and by only getting sands of time from enemies. Another addition to the combat was the Daggertail which serves as the Dark Prince's main weapon.

It kinda brakes the combat cuz it is prettly overpowerd and it doesn't take much skill to use it. You can perform some really decent combos but I feel like the enemies that the Dark Prince fights feel a bit damage spongey and they require you to mash the daggertail key till everything on screen is dead.

The platforming is just as good as it's ever been now with a side of change. They've even added these mid way supsended things that I can't name them which the Dark Prince is able to swing from one side to another with. A feature that Darksiders 3 also seems to have borrowed.
The Prince gets his platforming from WW except now he can attach to certain points with his dagger and also swing across one wall to the other with these launcher things that often made the game bug out lol.

TDP's platofrming is a bit diffrent. They added some extections for his wall running that he's able to attach to them and swing on a lager side wall without stoping or falling down. There's also chains placed around that you can slide down to take down enemies with your ''Steath''.

I think these are the most big diffrences that makes T2T stand out from the others. Oh and the chariot races which are pretty fun even tho they control a bit wierd and clunky.

They've tried to combine the first 2 games into one ambicious game that featured on paper the best prince of persia yet but the 1 year dev cycle didn't allow them to fully make their vision. Bits of what remained got ductaped into what became The Two Thrones.

TLDR

- Introduced the good platforming the series was well known and improved on it
- Dumbed down the combat on WW's formula
- Enemy variety and encounter was also dumbed down with most of them being reskined from the second game
- Wolrd design again, dumbed down in favor of goign full linear and not using WW's interconected template. The pacing and environments also suffers from this alot.
- Good story with some of the best dialgoue in the series. The Dark Prince has an amazing personatly and both Princes really do have some very good exchanges. It also has one of the best endings that I've seen in a game.
- Once again, Chatwood's soundtrack really makes everything better then it is.

While I think it's a good game and a fantastic send off to the Sands of Time trilogy, it felt a bit short and rushed. They're tried too many things at once and the final product suffred because of it.

3 years later after the SoT trilogy Ubisoft decided to reboot the series and thus came the known and loved Prince of Persia 2008.

This was pretty much a full on reboot since the only things similar to Prince of Persia was the fact that you could run on walls and the game title.

It was nothing like the other games. This one starts off with Nathan Drake wandering around the desert in search for his donkey wierdly named Farah and comes across his charming and beautiful companion Elika and thus the joruney beings. Oh I'm sorry did I say Nathen Drake? I meant the Prince of Persia ofc!

It's presentation is stellar with some of the most beautiful cell shaded styles in any game.

This one's gameplay and design are ... strange to say the least. The game's biggest emphasis is on platforming.

The world is parted into exactly 4 ways each of them with shrines that you need to ''heal'' from the corruption using Elika and at the end of each 1 boss fight.

Here is where the catch begins, you cannot die in this game. Wether it's platforming or combat you cannot get hurt or send back to a checkpoint. It's a instresting mechanic but I don't think it works in a game like this.

The game strangely also has combat which is wierd to me. What's the point of having combat in a game where you cannot die punished in way? Why are you able to engage in a battle where you could let your enemy hit you for 15 minutes while you're afk making your moring coffe? It also doesn't have much depth

It also features just 1 enemy type in all of the game which spawns from time to time in all the zones and 4 bosses, 5 with the final one.

Back to your objective tho, so in each path like I said above you're supposed to heal the shrines but you see Elika needs these little blue lights that are scarred around like world to be able to progress in the game's story. Oh think that's optional content? Well think again cuz the game forces you to grind ALL of them to unlock the gates to each zone and finish the game.

PoP 2008 goes like this.

Go to Path 1> Fight the generic type enemy > Clear the Shrines> Collect all the Blue Lights> Beat The Path 1 Final Boss.

Go back to the HUB area to unlock your new platforming ability to enter the next zone.

Go to Path 2> Fight the generic type enemy > Clear the Shrines> Collect all the Blue Lights> Beat The Path 2 Final Boss.

Go back to the HUB area to unlock your new platforming ability to enter the next zone.

Go to Path 3> Fight the generic type enemy > Clear the Shrines> Collect all the Blue Lights> Beat The Path 3 Final Boss.

Go back... yeah I think you get it by now. The game is very repetitive in it's own strucutre. It's bound to happen when everything about it is so simple and autopilot.

I legit think you can finish the game with just 1 button and pressing the stick foward. It's so shallow, grindy, repetitive and boring.

Prince of Persia 2008 is one the most beautiful games that I've ever played with stellar art direction and top notch soundtrack. But it's gameplay is pretty mediocre and fails to reward you as a player. I'm not too fond of it and it's my least played in the series.

I guess some prefer the presentation over the gameplay. The game was well recived by critics and some fans but It sold poorly by Ubi's expecation and this resulted them going back the SoT era with their latest game PoP The Forgotten Sands.

Last edited:

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's simplistic, not abysmal.

It's both. It's not fun to hit enemies. The animation and sound design is wonky at best.

People try to be dismissive when they talk about SoT's combat sections, but it makes up like half the game. WW found a much better balance between the platforming and combat,

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
My take is that Warrior Within took some bad missteps in terms of story and combat, but its platforming was still excellent. Twin Thrones tries to rectify that but retain most of the combat, so it still ended up a little worse than Sands of Time.

Is Forgotten Sands good? I didn't like 2008 at all.

I haven't played 2008 but my rankings are

1. SoT
2. Forgotten Sands (PS360)
3. Warrior Within
4. Two Thrones.

If you like the series and or Uncharted games but with actual platforming i highly recomend Forgotten Sands

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for reading! I had a bouch of thoughts last night that I wasn't able to put down properly last night so I'll try to share what I remember.

Prince of Persia 2008 is one the most beautiful games that I've ever played with stellar art direction and top notch soundtrack. But it's gameplay is pretty mediocre and fails to reward you as a player. I'm not too fond of it and it's my least played in the series.

I guess some prefer the presentation over the gameplay. The game was well recived by critics and some fans but It sold poorly by Ubi's expecation and this resulted them going back the SoT era with their latest game PoP The Forgotten Sands.

Thanks. I never knew TT was a bunch of scraped ideas. It makes sense because, to me, it was the weaker entry in the SoT trilogy. Since the first time I played it I had this feeling of never being as good as the other two while some parts of it felt really unfinished. That story actually explains a lot. I would love if Ubisoft could go back o the original version and actually finish it.

Regarding 2008, we agree that it's a weird game, however, I do think it's a good PoP game. It's been a while since I last played so there's a good chance nostalgia is talking here. At the time I was trophy hunting and one of the trophies was to finish the game with Eliza saving your ass less than a 100 times. This made the game much better and more difficult because I actually had to pay attention to all platforming traps and combat since I had this "life limit". It made the game much, much better.

I kinda wish Ubisoft would make a follow-up to 2008 and make the game tough as nails and without Eliza saving the Prince. The platforming got more interesting because of the added traps as you defeated each zone boss and the combat, from my memories, was too simple while relying too much on counters and reflexes. The should pull a "WW" entry for 2008. The world has gone to shit, platforming and combat gets much more expanded and we get more of the Prince/Eliza combo and, hopefully, Ubisoft gets a ton of money. Win-Win.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but don't make combat take so long.
It should be part of the platforming.

Like you should be able to take out enemies while platforming or use them as a platform.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The should pull a "WW" entry for 2008. The world has gone to shit, platforming and combat gets much more expanded and we get more of the Prince/Eliza combo and, hopefully, Ubisoft gets a ton of money. Win-Win

I'm up for that but I wouldn't touch a 2008 sequel unless they really revamped the gameplay and made it more complex.

Also never cast Nolan North as the Prince ever again. Give me Yuri or Robin.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
NO SIR. Asscreed finally settled into a gameplay loop I love with Orgins. Just make a new PoP game as a legit platformer, or remake or re-release the last, last gen trilogy again.

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i would love to have a new PoP but knowing ubisoft they would fill with hand holding platforming , stupid tail missions , open world and towers, meaningless side quests , a season pass before game came out, focusing on graphics instead of crafting truly special and while doing shitting on PoP legacy such as saying this is return form !! even bribing some PoP fans from old days to make them appear in marketing material.

So truly no. But i would love remaster

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
The Sands of Time is one of the best games ever made.

Warrior Within was a challenging game and the combat was excellent.

I loved the way they fused platforming and combat together in The Two Thrones.

What a fantastic trilogy that was. I'd be excited for a new Prince of Persia game but equally pessimistic about it given today's practices and trends.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Sands of Time was, and still is my favourite of the SoT trilogy. Warrior Within was good, but i can agree with some reasons why people don't like it. One of which was it's use of rock music. But none the less, it felt fresher and the combat was more fluid than before. Two Thrones was a great send off for the SoT, again i enjoyed it muchly.

Forgotten Sands however, that's a different story. I thought it felt too easy in comparison to the trilogy prior to this.

Should the trilogy be left alone. If it was remade nicely with updated controls and stuff, i'd be happy with that.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Prince of Persia definitely needs to make a comeback. The Sands of Time trilogy was wonderful and, in my humble opinion, better than any Assassin's Creed that came after them.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think the Sands of Time Trilogy specifically should be left alone. Don't try to release another Forgotten Sands-style sequel that tries to capture and slightly update its formula. I'd totally snap up the PoPSoT Trilogy HD Collection for current gen systems, though (I suppose that also means I'd be hyped for a SotC-style remaster).

This however doesn't mean I think the Prince of Persia IP should be left to rot. I fucking loved PoP2008 and it always bummed me out that there was so much furore surrounding its design to the point that between the extremely harsh criticism from the community and its meager sales we never got a sequel. I'm not pushing for an actual sequel to 2008, but god I'd love to see a new, artful and colourful Prince of Persia that stood out like that. Give us a game that learns some lessons from 2008's failings, incorporates Sands of Time's legacy but doesn't try to be the kind of milque-toast semi-sequel that Forgotten Sands was. Something like that would probably be a great fit for the Switch if Ubi wanted to make something else for it that wasn't a port or the sequel to Kingdom Battle that we'll inevitably get (which isn't shade, I loved that game).

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The Sands of Time itself? No. Everything else? Yes. PoP '08 on the other hand deserves a full remaster and a proper sequel not tied to the DS.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
I only played SoT. It's a good game, reminded me a bit of the original Tomb Raider.

PoP 2008 was such a disappointment tho. Incredible presentation, really bad platforming and combat.

The parkour style platforming in that series has yet to be topped. It actually demanded some, you know, dexterity and timing on the part of the player, vs. the 'mash X' Uncharted approach or 'hold a button' Assassin's Creed approach. That series needs to come back just to remind people of how it's done.

Have you played Mirror's Edge? The parkour in ME is much better than in PoP.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My worry with bringing it back is that it would stick to modern gaming trends and thus become the very thing people hate about games like uncharted. POP08 somehow managed to be even more dumbed down than even uncharted and that takes some serious effort. What makes anyone think things would be any different this time? Gaming moved beyond skill based traversal, the market prefers what uncharted and tomb raider does even if we forum dwellers don't.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I'd still love to see at least a re-release of those games in some form. The end of Two Thrones is still up there with some of my favourite video games.

Jan 2, 2018
That's a tough one to answer - but I think it needs to be left alone as It was one of the most memorable and complete trilogies I played and I want it's legacy to remain intact.
I do,however,want a new POP game. Badly.