Votes: 232 42.8%
  • Law of Suprise

Votes: 97 17.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I quite liked the rythm based combat of the first game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I wouldn't mind a remake but at the same time I'm not really sure I'd buy it...

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I really liked it for what it was, but doesnt really need to be remade, just make Witcher 4.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
let them do other shit and even then I'd rather have 4. 4 could likely be better than 3. Give me something new, it could wind up being your new favorite.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
I don't want a remake because I don't like remakes, but I also think the original Witcher is a very bad game. Combat, graphics, writing, sex card minigame, etc. It's just not very good.

There are worse candidates for a remake, but I don't really want to revisit old stories.
Seriously? The Witcher has bad writing? Granted, Planescape: Torment and Disco Elysium probably have better writing, but still you'll need just the fingers on one hand to count better written RPGs, I'd say. Just for clarification, could you list, say, 10 RPGs that are written better?

The Witcher 1 has one of the best plots in gaming, with some of the best characters in gaming, and with probably the best final twist (at least in my opinion). Joseph Anderson has a great review of it:

How is combat and graphics being not very good a counterargument to making a remake? Remakes are made specifically to redo graphics and combat.

In any case, while I agree that combat is not too interesting in Witcher 1 (but, like I said, this is something a remake would certainly address), I disagree with the statement that the graphics are not good. Granted, by now they feel dated (especially character models; come on, it's a 2007 game!), but some of the environments look pretty even by today's standards. And in 2007, when Witcher 1 was released, I'd argue that it was the prettiest RPG by that time.

Feb 16, 2018
it's one of the best games to remake. it could actually fix some of the game's perceived weaker areas & get newcomers interested in it instead of just trying to sell a graphics upgrade to nostalgic fans

remakes don't usually improve the story or dialogue or quests too much, but they can touch up the graphics and redo the combat

they could keep the 9/10 parts unchanged, bump the graphics up to whatever budget they give it, and then you roll the dice on how much the combat improves

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I'd like a remake of the first. I have trouble going back and playing it now cause of the horrible controls.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Witcher 1 is freaking rough to play and definitely a great candidate for a remake imo, I'd also love a Witcher 2 remake but it's way less necessary, I just love W2 so I want it.

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
The first two games are.. products of thier time. I def liked all of them but I feel W1 could do with a rewrite. Fixing much of the "messy" stuff like performance, loading times and some "fiddly" aspects of its mechanics

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Nah, Geralts story reached a natural conclusion, retreading it would just cheapen it in my opinion.
Move on, there are other character or events to explore, the universe is bigger than just Geralt.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I think that, given consoles now have BC that boost performance of older games, the industry should focus more on new IP rather than look backward.
I get that some people would love a load of their favourite old games remade so they can play them over again, but I'm more interested in new experiences rather than ones I've already had.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
No, it still looks incredible.

The only thing they should remake or rather rework is their HDR, cause that's a really bad implementation.

Edit:

Oh, somehow thought you meant 3.
The first 2 in Witcher 3 optic is absolute classic remake material, yes.

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
The game is amazing and might actualy be my favorite or close second, but no. People just won't understand it and it'll only damage the brand.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
It definitely needs to be brought to the modern era, it just hasn't aged well at all despite being a great game (story,world,etc..)

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Would be a good idea.

With the popularity of Witcher 3 and also 2, not many have played the original and it's hard to recommend. It would feel like a prequel remaking this. It would be great to step back in after a long time with great template that the first game has. Would be awesome on XBX PS5 and PC.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
It needs a remake more than a remaster, combat is very dated (TW3 combat is complicated too) and game is improvable.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
I would love it, but I would prefer the energy goinf to a Witcher 4 with customiseable character. Set it like 200 years before W3

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
They should because it has the best story of all three of them but everything else about it is horrible. So it would be great if humans could play it and enjoy it.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
No need to remake something just because it plays differently from what people expect in 2020. And I say this as someone who had trouble playing the Witcher back in the day. The game wasn't to my liking but I'm not going to demand it plays like another game.

There's a severe lack of respect for older games in Era to be honest. People just wanting the games to play the same as other games for no reason.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
That poll result.

tenor.gif

As to OP, I feel like The Witcher 1 story is super detached than the rest of the series (also I read that it's apparently a retread of the book's story ? It even have Ciri's expy/stand-in).

Last edited:

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want a remake because I don't like remakes, but I also think the original Witcher is a very bad game. Combat, graphics, writing, sex card minigame, etc. It's just not very good.

There are worse candidates for a remake, but I don't really want to revisit old stories.
I heard the English version was bad, but... that bad? Wow.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
I would like to see it remade as that's the only way I'd ever play it and its a series I'm curious about
But I have no issue if they'd rather use those resources elsewhere

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I played the 1st Witcher and i like how janky it was. It actually didnt looked bad either.
A remake would always be wecome, but i rather see CDPR focusing in new games and building new worlds.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
The Witcher 3 is great, but that doesn't mean I want to play a remake of The Witcher 1, which is... not a good game. Let it rest.

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
I will always miss Chapter 4. The greatest take on Polish romantic literature in pop culture. I liked the cards as well, even though I know they are widely considered sexist.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
It's one of my favourite games of all time, and probably one I"ve replayed the most. Basically a love letter to the books, full of glorious jank.

Can it be remade without losing that charm? I dunno.

Would make a lot of ppl probably have a less favourable view of Triss though, so that's a worthy cause? lol.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I would rather we just see an entirely new game. Because if you remake the first game, then you have to remake the second game too, and then where does it stop? A decade of just remakes? More than a decade?

I need new stories.

I would like to see Witcher 1 remade but don't think 2 needs a remake. Same with MGS, only 1 really needs a good remake, from 2 onwards remasters are enough.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
It's a bad game. It's better to make a new good game than to remake a bad old one.

Sarevok

Jul 13, 2020
First Witcher was a great introduction but isn't that great of a game even by 2007. standards.
Combat is atrocious (you have 3 stances, strong, fast and group) and you just click when you see a flaming sword to extend the combo.
Models and animations are stiff, same character models are largely overused (every dwarf except Zoltan looks and sounds the same)
Don't get me wrong I adore the game and played it multiple times but that's just me.