• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
They're effectively banned because we can't have a discussion on their actual videos without conversation about everything else taking over.

I would hope that moderators would decide to ban them or stop letting the threads be derailed with this crap. One or the other

You meant to quote me, but everything that has been criticized of them have been directly from their videos, so there is no de-railing at all.

I would agree the focus isnt on the meat and potatoes of the video though, but thats how putting out a YouTube video works. You (as a content creator) dont get to dictate what a watcher focuses on if its in the video with the rest of your stuff.

So give them their own OT so non-fans can ignore it, and Fans can discuss and support

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
You can treat content creators as nothing but that but you also can't whine and complain when people call you out for plainly ignoring problematic stuff these people say. I enjoy Dunkey's content, it doesn't mean Dunkey hasn't done or said problematic shit. It doesn't mean because I enjoy it he should be free from dragging. And to that extent, I should not be free from dragging (to a degree) for supporting problematic people.

Everyone has a threshold. You can plainly state what it is. But what you did with your post which was bait (and yes it is bait, you knew exactly how that would be perceived and did it anyone. We aren't dumb) was victimize yourself because people questioned stuff you like. But no one has said dont like it or you cant watch it. They have just said it is in some ways problematic.

If you cant handle having to think about the content you consume, you probably do think there is somethjng wrong with it on some level. I'm totally secure watching Girlfriend reviews and still thinking they are signaling some politics I personally dont fuck with. But at this point no, I'm not going to stop watching based on the dude listening to Joe Rogan or shouting out whoever the fuck Nakey Jakey is.

I'm comfortable with that stance. I have no issues stating it. You seem to be defensive of yours however.

Yep.

I still watch Dunkey and NakeyJakey, but I'm aware of their problematic shit. But, they've yet to hit my threshold that results in an absolute drop. I'm just looking for some wholesome laughs. If they can keep from screaming "Niggers!" or rather problematic shit, then I'll just groan at a single JonTron hug and keep enjoying their content. Still, I'd completely understand others immediately dropping them.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What you're asking is, why should you care that they support someone who says the n word on stream and then bashes publications for calling him out for it? Shouldn't that be evident?
Pewdiepie said the n word on stream and then bashed journalists for reporting on it.
These are all people that they have supported in one shape or another.

Can you show where they actually supported Pewdiepie? I just remember them making a joke about Pewdiepie.

No. Dude was acting like people are punishing themselves by not watching GF reviews because they haven't done anything egregious (yet). My point was choosing not to watch a youtube channel because you disagree with who the content creators promote is not punishing yourself. It's literally just a stupid entertainment channel, not watching it is not subjecting yourself to punishment. That's an incredibly silly take. There is millions of other forms of entertainment to watch that have agreeable politics should one not fit your criteria.

Don't start none if you don't want none. No one made you jump in.

Ok, I understand.

But, what's with the "don't start none" phrase? Please don't say oddly aggressive things like that. It brings the conversation to places it shouldn't be.

They're effectively banned because we can't have a discussion on their actual videos without conversation about everything else taking over.

I would hope that moderators would decide to ban them or stop letting the threads be derailed with this crap. One or the other

I do think it's time for an OT.

But, stop categorizing people's concern about their affiliations with "crap", especially as this video was the most blatant example yet.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I was really surprised when this channel got big all of a sudden because I found all the jokes in it extremely predictable, generally stereotypical sitcom version of male female partner dynamics, and the parts that aren't jokes extremely basic takes that weren't saying anything new or interesting

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sure, I suppose.

I don't want to drag this on to be honest because it could be discussed for ages. I understand where you're coming from and i'm not trying to change your mind, I guess i'm just trying to say what's the problem with just watching these content creators just for their content?
But what happens when their content includes caping for shitbirds?

It's not derailing when the criticism is for the actual content, not something off topic.

Last edited:

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Glad to see the discourse on this channel has evolved from "why girl do video" to "why girl mention YouTuber who said 'pewdiepie' is good" or whatever.

Nuke all these YouTube people from orbit, imo. I actually enjoy the videos from this channel to an extent, but none of these freaks are making anything special. Streaming/Let's Plays/longform videogame-related content is degeneracy and should be outlawed. This time we'll call them Youlags and we will not apologize for doing what needs to be done.

SiX

Aug 13, 2018
Glad to see the discourse on this channel has evolved from "why girl do video" to "why girl mention YouTuber who said 'pewdiepie' is good" or whatever.

Nuke all these YouTube people from orbit, imo. I actually enjoy the videos from this channel to an extent, but none of these freaks are making anything special. Streaming/Let's Plays/longform videogame-related content is degeneracy and should be outlawed. This time we'll call them Youlags and we will not apologize for doing what needs to be done.

Uh, what?

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
User banned (5 days): Inflammatory content.

A "Youlag" is a Gulag except we put all the YouTubers there instead of pretending that some of us are good consumers because our favorite YouTube guy Steve the Wizard or whatever hasn't said "PewDiePie" yet.

I'm just saying people should have the courage of their convictions and really do something about the problem, which is systemic and can't be cured by delusions of ethical consumption. The scolding is flaccid when you still support the platform, imo.

Oct 26, 2017
Desert Land
I love their videos, I don't buy just because you said somebody's name once it means you support everything they do.

Felt like they were mocking more than anything, I haven't seen the latest video though.

I don't buy them as alt right, they come across as genuine with no evidence to support otherwise.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Doug Doug is by far my favorite YouTuber right now. Dude makes very entertaining and original content, he also has fun Twitch streams. https://www.youtube.com/user/Gloudas

Scott The Woz is a quirky Nintendo guy https://www.youtube.com/user/scottthewoz

Spawn Wave is another great channel with general gaming news, very down to earth guy. Https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoIXnB865l9Ex9zs4OIXTdQ
Thanks a million, I've seen some vids by Doug Doug and he did seem entertaining, but the other two i have never heard of - will check them out!
Heads up about Spawn Wave

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Can you show where they actually supported Pewdiepie? I just remember them making a joke about Pewdiepie.
They never showed any support for him. They used him as a joke. Until they themselves do something egregious, I have zero issues watching them. Their content has been consistently great from the start and their reviews are far more interesting than any of the big VG sites.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's really fucking disappointing that on the rare occasion I find something "new" from Youtube I like, they try to do their best to push me away. That PDP shit is the worst, I didn't remember the Nakey Jakey thing at first. I wasn't familiar with him until the popular Red Dead thread here and his own OT, so I thought he would be a cool guy. But now I remember the OT got bit of a turn with that JonTron thing. I don't know what kind of people are behind the Girlfriend reviews channel, but I would atleast hope that they keep any PDP, Dunkey and JonTron shit out of it. It really pisses me off.

Last edited:

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I mean there was a poster who initially thought "Hol' up a minute' had racist connotations.

I took the L on that; and I just said it made me a bit uncomfortable. Hearing her do it reminded me of people who use similar voices when doing caricatures of Hispanic accents, but I went back and listened again, and it's clearly more an issue of my association than her choice with the voice. Mea culpa.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
These threads are exhausting, for real.

Just close the thread and ban the channel on Era, because if every single time a video gets posted the thread gets derailed and people are jumped over for saying they still enjoy the videos, then what's the point? It just becomes a bunch of users pointing fingers at one another. Don't pretend it fosters discussion of any kind, just say "these people are shitty" and lock the thread. There's nothing gained from keeping it open. People have made their argument about the shittiness of the shoutouts ad nauseam.
If you're finding it exhausting, then take a step back.

Personally, I find it interesting that there are issues with some material I consume.
I love Dunkey's content and had no idea he had said/done some problematic stuff. Now I'm curious/cautious about what of his I'm sharing.
I occasionally enjoy GF reviews, but had no idea who JonTron or Nakey-fucking-Jakey were. Now I'm careful about GF, and still have zero interest in expanding my consumption sphere to those other two personalities (because after some research, they seem at best not worth my time and at worst, total shits).

These threads help me, because it's healthy to be wary of what you expose yourself (and others) to. It's important to be mindful of what you can't say.
You can think whatever you like, but when you start saying/doing stuff in front of thousands of people, your actions are open to criticism. You can't just hide behind "entertainment".

Of course, as others have said, you're still free to enjoy the content. But if the thread is locked immediately then it sends a bad message about what sort of discussion should be curbed. If you are that fond of them, start up an OT and steer the conversation, but don't expect all detractors to stay away or stay quiet. That's simply the nature of online forums. Just gotta keep yourself focused on what you believe and maintain a comfortable distance/discourse with others.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy watching GFReviews, Dunkey and NakeyJakey

I bet you think i'm terrible for separating their views from their content.
It's just that you know the world isn't just black and white.

A lot of the forum has a "Us vs Them" mentality which is terribly unprogressive.