• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pramod

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hear all these people say that they hate Trump because he has made racism or racists more "acceptable" or "encouraged" them. But I don't believe that Trump has created racists or more racism, he simply exposed what already exists.

But isn't it a good thing to know the real truth? So we can no longer deny the fact that almost 40% of the electorate is racist and sexist enough to vote someone like Trump into office? Isn't it better to have everything out in the open, rather than living in denial? (Which we seemed to be for 8 years under Obama, thinking that "racism" was over). If you don't believe that a serious problem exists, how can you deal with it or try to fight it?

So now that we know how racist this country still is...the question is, what do we do about it? Will simply defeating Trump and making all these people slink back into the shadows, solve the problem?

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Everybody that voted for Trump is a racist? I think that's an unfair statement.

Clinton ran an extremely poor campaign, poor enough to get millions to actively switch sides to fight her and stay home on voting day. I'd say that it's very likely that Obama would have a third term if he could run again.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would if it somehow resulted in anything. Instead people see the terrifying underbelly of this country and simply shrug and go about their business.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
No. As a black person in this country I was already well aware. Flashing a light on it did me no favours.

Trained Rage

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
One of the good things to come out of the administration. I have an extremely hard time believing any of this would have come out under Hillary.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I already knew there were a ton of them. Didn't realize there were quite so many as to win an election, though.

Raein

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes. Bringing American Hegemony to the brink of collapse was totally worth figuring out that some people are shitty people.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Yeah, there are easier ways to expose them than to put them in power.
I think its cynical to argue that its a good thing that we "know now".

Like, did anyone argue after WW2 and the holocaust "At least we know now that Nazis are bad?"

nemoral

Oct 25, 2017
Fiddler's Green
Isn't it better to have everything out in the open, rather than living in denial?
No.

It's not a question of denial, it's a question of public behavior. No one thinks people are going to stop being racist. But that doesn't mean we're interested in hearing their racist bullshit. And the election of Trump has convinced them it's okay to convert their feelings to behavior, and that's the problem. I want racists fearful to speak, lest they lose their jobs and families. I want them to know that most of the country is repulsed by them.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, why would anyone be thankful for any of this?

I know there is a psychological desire to find the silver lining, but sometimes there is no silver lining. It's just liquid dog shit that must be purged with the cleansing fire of applied righteousness.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't "thank" him for it. However, he certainly did bring racists out into the open. Many people already knew, but there was a large segment of the population that was living in blissful ignorance (whether willful or not) of that fact.

The only way I'd even begin to "thank" him (for accidentally doing something he didn't intend to do) is if he truly ends up being the downfall of the GOP. However, the Alabama senate race tells me I'm probably not going to have to buy a Thank You card.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone knew racism existed. It's not something that can magically go away at the snap of a finger. Sadly, it will always be around.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure there are pragmatists on the right. They may not agree with his racism and may not be racist, but they'll tolerate it if it means putting anti-abortion people in power, for example.
viewing the humanity of people who aren't white as an acceptable sacrifice to achieve some goal is pretty damn racist.

being a non-racist trump voter pretty much requires that you ingested no news for a couple straight years and then wandered into the voting booth and selected at random. i'd argue that essentially zero people of that description exist.

ig55

Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't we thank Harvey Weinstein for exposing Hollywood as having power structures that allow for rampant sexual abuse and predatory behavior??

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody that voted for Trump is a racist? I think that's an unfair statement
I'm sure the Trump voters will survive being called racist, unlike the countless minority groups that their votes endangered.

Trump only "exposed" this to people who were ignorant and didn't listen to women or minorities. We should definitely not thank him even if this was true. That man is a monster. We don't show gratitude to monsters.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
He has brought a voice to such people, and has put positive light on bad behavior. This is going to encourage more people to act like him.

tino

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You also expose to the world your electorial system is broken. Congratulation I guess.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there are pragmatists on the right. They may not agree with his racism and may not be racist, but they'll tolerate it if it means putting anti-abortion people in power, for example.

So you're saying that some Trump voters weren't racist but were sexist instead? Like that's suppose to be a better look for them?

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017

Clinton ran an extremely poor campaign, poor enough to get millions to actively switch sides to fight her and stay home on voting day. I'd say that it's very likely that Obama would have a third term if he could run again.
Is being ok with racism any better?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Knock it off with this crap.

Acerac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one positive I have taken from the last few years is that at least the dirt and corruption throughout the US is no longer hidden.

Granted, I am not sure that letting the country rot is the wisest way to fix such problems.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Either candidate winning would continue the status quo of systemic racism, though with Trump winning he emboldened racists to be more open and in some way shows his active support of their efforts as long as they idolize him.

though i could see an argument that that kind of open racism, dogwhistling, etc became much more apparent with the beginnings of BLM. Every movement has a counter movement.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
This. I really fail to understand how people are still defending Trump voters, as if they had no idea what they were doing.

It's irritating. They all had no problem voting for a racist degenerate. I ain't ever gonna forget that, and I will judge all Trump voters for their decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.