• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
The Super Sentai seasons they selected have direct representation in Power Rangers. Dairanger and Kakuranger don't have the counterparts that Ohranger and onwards have.

And nothing pre-Zyuranger for the same reason.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
fyi, Shout actually already streams all of these shows + Jetman, Dairanger, and Kakuranger on their website.

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting stuff there lmao From Super Sentai I only have watched Jetman halfway, it was nice. Raita and Gai are fantastic.

From what I understand, it was a one-two punch of Turboranger and Fiveman doing poorly that almost killed it. Jetman saved it.

I only know a couple things about Fiveman. It's the first "family Sentai' where the members are all related (later repeated by GoGoFive, Magiranger, and (to a lesser extent) Ninninger), and there were these Fiveman puppets that were really unpopular

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Ohranger is an underappreciated series.
Yup. Dark as fuck, until the subway attack forced writers to go lighter and more humorous; and the shift in tone caused one of the biggest rating dips in Sentai history.

It was still pretty dark though, which makes me want to have seen the original vision. Could've been some Tomino kill-em-all shit. :P

The Cogs are a lot cooler in the Sentai, too.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Yup. Dark as fuck, until the subway attack forced writers to go lighter and more humorous, and the shift in town caused one of the biggest rating dips in Sentai history.

It was still pretty dark though, which makes me want to have seen the original vision. Could've been some Tomino kill-em-all shit. :P

The Cogs are a lot cooler in the Sentai, too.

That would explain the introduction of Riki and Dorin. Riki was okay but Dorin was absolutely annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
Did someone say CARRANGER

vlcsnap-2017-04-28-22h00m01s345.png

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
The Super Sentai seasons they selected have direct representation in Power Rangers. Dairanger and Kakuranger don't have the counterparts that Ohranger and onwards have.
The Thunderzords, the white ranger, the ninja zords, shogun zords, alien rangers and Rito are all from Dairanger and Kakuranger and arguably more well known to the general public than some later PR seasons.

Streaming entire seasons also targets an audience already aware of sentai so I don't think many people would be confused about seeing the Dairanger suits which are really the only major element of those seasons not carrying over to MMPR.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Carranger and Timeranger are unmissable. Same for the first two episodes of Ohranger.

Zyuranger will also be interesting for those who grew up with MMPR.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I can't believe the incredible production on one of these shows I saw a bit of on shoutfactory. It was weirdly 80s looking, but apparently mid 90s. Just so many practical effects mixed with good computer effects. The weirdest shit too, they were turning people into gold, then this robot guy exploded or something, I don't remember, it just got nuts and I thought, I need this, I want this on dvd for my children to cherish, this is what tv should be.

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the incredible production on one of these shows I saw a bit of on shoutfactory. It was weirdly 80s looking, but apparently mid 90s. Just so many practical effects mixed with good computer effects. The weirdest shit too, they were turning people into gold, then this robot guy exploded or something, I don't remember, it just got nuts and I thought, I need this, I want this on dvd for my children to cherish, this is what tv should be.

Good news, they have multiple seasons on DVD.
Jetman, Zyuranger, Dairanger, Kakuranger, Ohranger, Carranger, Megaranger, Gingaman, GoGoFive, Timeranger, and Gaoranger.
Hurricanger is coming later this month, and Fiveman is coming too.

I recommend Jetman, Kakuranger, Megaranger, GoGoFive, and Timeranger. Carranger too but that's only best after you see a couple seasons. Not continuity, but it's a parody and it's a lot better when you're familiar with Sentai tropes.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Good news, they have multiple seasons on DVD.
Jetman, Zyuranger, Dairanger, Kakuranger, Ohranger, Carranger, Megaranger, Gingaman, GoGoFive, Timeranger, and Gaoranger.
Hurricanger is coming later this month, and Fiveman is coming too.

I recommend Jetman, Kakuranger, Megaranger, GoGoFive, and Timeranger. Carranger too but that's only best after you see a couple seasons. Not continuity, but it's a parody and it's a lot better when you're familiar with Sentai tropes.

Yeah this original Japanese stuff looks a million times better than the Power Rangers shows I remember growing up. Ohranger was the one I saw I think. I'll check out those others though too.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
I saw them stream Time Ranger Monday, but I guess this is a long marathon of multiple shows.

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this original Japanese stuff looks a million times better than the Power Rangers shows I remember growing up. Ohranger was the one I saw I think. I'll check out those others though too.

Interesting thing about Ohranger. It started out really dark, and was likely going to be the darkest season of Sentai yet. However, an insane cult launched a sarin gas attack on the Toyko subway, killing 12 people. In response, Toei made the season a lot lighter and goofier. It still had dark moments but there weren't as frequent.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Apart from Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, and RPM, Power Rangers has had really bad production. Disney and Neo-Saban took it to a whole new level with excessive slow-mo, wuxia, and gratuitous explosions (and the combination of all three).

One could sing Timeranger's praises till the end of time.
Possibly the best gattai theme ever. When this theme hits, you know shit's about to go down;

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
AWWWW YEAAAAAH!

xC3pXLi.gif

Interesting thing about Ohranger. It started out really dark, and was likely going to be the darkest season of Sentai yet. However, an insane cult launched a sarin gas attack on the Toyko subway, killing 12 people. In response, Toei made the season a lot lighter and goofier. It still had dark moments but there weren't as frequent.
5oxeZQp.gif

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That short video breaking down the Baranoia just now...Ohranger is a little fucked up :lol

tzmshizm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for this. A couple friends of mine were the writers behind the scenes on this and I can't wait to see how they turned out.

Junior

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Check this page for the schedule:
https://www.shoutfactorytvlive.com/?gclid=CKeXi-vfrdACFUdYDQodkcUD_A

Seems like they only have the first 6 episodes of Zyuranger, Ohranger, Megaranger and Carranger on rotation for the first day of the "marathon". Next day will probably have Gingaman, GoGoV, Timeranger and Gaoranger (this is just an assumption on my part, it may be incorrect). Odd I know, but if you're serious about viewing an entire series I recommend you go watch it on their site which is available for free.

Last edited: