• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
IGN: https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/12/09/shovel-knight-king-of-cards-review (8.5/10)
Shovel Knight: King of Cards, like previous entries in the Shovel Knight series, is a blast. This is hands down the most ambitious and largest Shovel Knight game yet, with more levels, more dialogue, branching paths, and a completely new and cleverly used style of play centered around King Knight's unique abilities.

Destructoid: https://www.destructoid.com/review-shovel-knight-king-of-cards-573146.phtml (10/10)
Once you start to pick up a few upgrades and get in the natural swing of things, you really get a sense for how Yacht Club has truly mastered the genre at this point. Although speedrunning is a viable option due to the relatively fair level design and pitfall placement, it's a special feeling to stand in front of a potential platforming puzzle and take it all in; mathing out exactly how to approach each gap.

NintendoLife: http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/shovel_knight_king_of_cards (9/10)
Either way, it's impossible to go wrong with King of Cards, and whether standalone or as part of Treasure Trove, we'd recommend you make a point to play it as soon as possible. This is likely the last we'll see of the 'core' Shovel Knight series for some time, and King of Cards acts as a worthy swansong for a now-legendary platformer. Bravo.

AOTF: https://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/shovel-knight-king-of-cards-review/ (4/5)
While it can take a little getting used to the closer than ever combat style, the controls for King Knight are as tight as you have come to expect from Yacht Club Games and that makes the gameplay feel very smooth in action. The implementation of the Joustus card game will likely be mixed among players depending on their feelings about such mini-games, but the core experience as King Knight makes the King of Cards expansion another must play addition to the Shovel Knight family.

Kotaku: https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/12/09...ything-that-already-makes-shovel-knight-great
I'm only a few hours into what Yacht Club says is the biggest Shovel Knight expansion yet, and already all I don't want to play anything else until it's finished.

USGamer: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/shovel-knight-king-of-cards-review (3.5/5)
It's ambitious, but it's also the least essential of the major Shovel Knight episodes. If you own Treasure Trove, play Shovel of Hope and Specter of Torment first, then circle back to King of Cards if you still want more.
Bonus USGamer Showdown review: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/shovel-knight-showdown-review (4.5/5)
With a large amount of unlockable content, in-game challenges, and solo modes, it's a deceptively robust package that has the potential to be a long-term party staple. Shovel Knight Showdown is great even if you've never played the original games.

Last edited:

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
Damn, it's been a long time coming but looks like Yacht Club knocked it out of the park again. Excited! Just have to decide, as I'm sure many others will, whether to jump right in or keep it for flights coming up for the end of year break...

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
They made the card battle mini game mandatory?

Ooh...yeah, thats probably gonna divide some people. I fucking love that stuff tho.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Run, Yacht Club games! You're free now!

..But come back and make Shovel Knight 2 eventually.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
They made the card battle mini game mandatory?

Ooh...yeah, thats probably gonna divide some people. I fucking love that stuff tho.

I think it pushes you into doing it, but not sure it's mandatory as Destructoid do mention this:

If you still hate card games for whatever reason: the minigame doesn't gate you from traversing each map as you can take alternate platforming routes.

Jun 23, 2019
Hmmm. After Shovel Knight, Plague of Shadows, and Specter of Torment, I'm going to pass on this. Love the games, but kinda burnt out at this point.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't finished it yet, but can confirm that King of Cards is excellent. Maybe the best Shovel Knight game yet.

Deleted member 59

Looking forward to this. Plenty of time to play switch handheld mode over Christmas break, so I'm aiming to get things like this done over the holidays!

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Time for me to dive back into this. Does Showdown have online multi or is it just local?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't finished it yet, but can confirm that King of Cards is excellent. Maybe the best Shovel Knight game yet.
Goddamn right.

pgNTIYI.gif

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait, Plague of Shadow was OK but Specter of Torment was so so good.
Crazy it's been almost 3 years since Specter.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Theres no online in Showdown, is there?

Thats a shame. Gonna drop it after I'm done with the story modes then. :(

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Finally double dipped on the switch version in preparation for kingly majesty

In regards to Showdown reviews, USGamer gave it a separate review (and their reviewer actually preferred it to King of Cards)

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Own both the 3DS and Wii U releases and I'm damn tempted to get the Switch retail release as well.

Fuck, that's $40 I could spend on something I don't own instead...

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can't wait

Hope this comes out for the EU on time, I remember the last DLC being delayed a day or so (on Wii U anyway)

God it's so weird I'm gonna have a new Wii U game to play tomorrow

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
God it's so weird I'm gonna have a new Wii U game to play tomorrow

Actually you're not I'm afraid...

https://yachtclubgames.com/2019/12/update-forecast-info/

3DS – North America – Fri, December 13th
3DS – Europe – Approved, but needs slightly more time to prepare for release.
Wii U – Europe – Approved, but needs slightly more time to prepare for release.
PS3 – North America –
In final steps of submission.
PS3 – Europe –
In final steps of submission.
PS4 – Physical:
Due to unforeseen manufacturing issues, the PS4 physical version of Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove has been pushed to early 2020. Note that the update patch for both the digital and physical release of Shovel Knight on PS4 is still on schedule.
Amazon FireTV : In final phases of development.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to it.

I backed the original Kickstarter for Wii U and double-dipped on Switch.

Crazy that Yacht Club has completely over-delivered every step of the way despite it being a 6 1/2 year+ development.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to it.

I backed the original Kickstarter for Wii U and double-dipped on Switch.

Crazy that Yacht Club has completely over-delivered every step of the way despite it being a 6 1/2 year+ development.
Makes me wonder whats coming next.

Shovel Knight spinoff by that other studio looks great, guessing Yacht Club themselves will be taking a break from the IP to explore something different.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
This is coming out tomorrow? Hyped! Now it makes sense why my Amiibo set that I preordered years ago is finally arriving tomorrow. :D

I might need to do a play through of all the campaigns just for good measure. Shovel Knight is probably my favourite IP of the decade.

Magnemania

Jan 25, 2018
It is so annoying that outlets are treating Showdown as a side mode when YCG has clearly put a ridiculous amount of effort on it.

I imagine there are a few of us that are a bit disappointed that Showdown probably delayed the King of Cards release so that they could be released together in the full package. Can't get that upset about free content (I didn't even know about the incoming campaigns back when I bought the original Shovel Knight on sale for $10), but I was hoping to play King of Cards in 2018.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Does the Vita get a simultaneous release? We had to wait a lot for Specter of Torment (although on the flip side, that gave me an excuse to play through it twice :D).

Edit: The schedule page doesn't mention the Vita at all, and according to it:
If you don't see your platform/region below then assume the release is on time for the above!
I would be quite surprised that the European Vita version of all things is going to be among the first ones to be released, so it's probably safer to assume they forgot the Vita exists instead. :D

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait. Was replaying Specter Knight this weekend. There's so much attention to detail in these updates it's crazy. Like in Specter Knight where the tower keeps on getting more and more minions as you progress. Really looking forward what they do with King Knight.