• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I spent more time losing to Black Knight at Joustus than platforming in my first hour or so, count me as also being naff at this meta game of achieving the perfect lockdown of arrows when you actually cover a gem.

Showdown seems like a well meaning addition but, shit me sideways, I thought some of Smash Bros WiiU's stages could be ridonk in regards to just relentlessly throwing stuff at the player. Did Propeller Knight's story mode and it was just passable, nothing I'm itching to return to though it's a well put together package in its own way.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
So far loving the new movement for King Knight and the card minigame, the level design continues to be top notch... I beat Black Knight my first attempt despite that cheating move that can destroy your cards on the table. It was an enjoyable game and I think I got a bit lucky at the end because I was able to get the three gems so I could steal him three of his best cards.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Time to boot up my Vita again! Can't believe the mileage I got out of my purchase of the original game.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
King Knight's campaign is pretty good but I definitely wasn't expecting to like Showdown as much as I do. The movesets aren't that deep but every character has a cool playstyle, and there are a ton of unlockables to go for.

Yeah I know but I've still got to go out and get some gold to buy them back. It's just a faff but maybe I'll come back to it once gold is more plentiful and I presumably have better cards.

Solid idea, just didn't want anybody skipping a decent part of the game for fear that poor plays early on would permanently handicap them.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The card game is really dampening my enjoyment on it. I was hoping it'd be either optional or a completely separate mode. Putting it into the main game is just not something that me (someone who is completely stupid at card games) wants in Shovel Knight. The action is absolutely fantastic, but its only half the game. Thankfully cheat cards exist and I guess once you get better cards its possible to get an amazing deck but this definitely is my least favourite of the bunch, Spectre Knight remains on top for me.
Any tips on a good deck? (or just tips in general).

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Different strokes I suppose, but after losing a bit to the first opponent, I've been able to beat the rest of characters in the first Joustus hall, including Black Knight in one shot. Was even able to get three cards off of BK. Couldn't understand it when I saw previews, but actually playing it seems fine.

Apr 24, 2018
It's about time for me to revisit Shovel Knight and play the Specter and King Knight campaigns...it still boggles my mind how much Yacht Club Games has added to the base game for free.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Different strokes I suppose, but after losing a bit to the first opponent, I've been able to beat the rest of characters in the first Joustus hall, including Black Knight in one shot. Was even able to get three cards off of BK. Couldn't understand it when I saw previews, but actually playing it seems fine.
Took me three tries to beat Black Knight. Not sure I've got my head wrapped around it yet. Is it intended that you buy the cheats since bosses get boss powers?

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone on this forum work at Yacht Club Games? Huge congrats to them. What a phenomenal achievement. The long labor's finally done today!

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying the update so far.

I breezed through the first area for Joustus. So I'm not hating it yet. Certainly much better then the pizza eating contest at the end of levels in Yo! Noid.

The new music tracks are phenomenal as expected.

I didn't even know about Showdown so that's a really nice surprise. Finished the story with Shovel Knight and had a great time with it. I could see it being a very fun local vs. mode.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Took me three tries to beat Black Knight. Not sure I've got my head wrapped around it yet. Is it intended that you buy the cheats since bosses get boss powers?

I don't think its intended that you buy the cheats. I suppose it helps, but I beat Black Knight without using cheats either. While that may have been a bit of a fluke on my part getting all gems, I've lost matches afterwards, and I think the best strategy is to know where to close out the game by filling up the whole board, which the cheat that lets you play all your cards can really help out and pretty much win a one gem game if you know the directions everything will move.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
The card game is really dampening my enjoyment on it. I was hoping it'd be either optional or a completely separate mode. Putting it into the main game is just not something that me (someone who is completely stupid at card games) wants in Shovel Knight. The action is absolutely fantastic, but its only half the game. Thankfully cheat cards exist and I guess once you get better cards its possible to get an amazing deck but this definitely is my least favourite of the bunch, Spectre Knight remains on top for me.
Any tips on a good deck? (or just tips in general).

It is optional though from what I've been reading?
I certainly hope so cos I'm not enjoying it either

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, card game is.....'meh' so far at the best of time, and dragging down the rest of the experience at many other times.

Some of it may be that the BK, for example, has better cards than the rest of the first hall (including a double push card which you might not have if you don't have the frog), and the boss ability out of nowhere is just...bleargh.

Definitely putting a damper on things for me, at least.

edit:

It is optional though from what I've been reading?
I certainly hope so cos I'm not enjoying it either

Seems like you need to beat the BK in the first Joustus house in order to proceed, so....not optional (at least in part)

Deleted member 59

Yeah i gave up with the card game after losing to the black Knight like 5 times in a row. Hope i can just concentrate on the platforming and not be forced to play this game.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, card game is.....'meh' so far at the best of time, and dragging down the rest of the experience at many other times.

Some of it may be that the BK, for example, has better cards than the rest of the first hall (including a double push card which you might not have if you don't have the frog), and the boss ability out of nowhere is just...bleargh.

Definitely putting a damper on things for me, at least.

edit:

Seems like you need to beat the BK in the first Joustus house in order to proceed, so....not optional (at least in part)

Shit you do?
I left that stage without beating anyone and got to the next stage?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York

Oh, so that's why he was able to push my cards like that. I didn't know double push was a thing so it made no sense to me.

I beat him after like three tries but it was probably more of a fluke than anything.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Shit you do?
I left that stage without beating anyone and got to the next stage?

Hmmm...maybe?

It's possible you may unlock the next stage after losing, but I lost a couple times to the black knight, and never seemed to get the 'prompt' until after I beat him.

Could be you just can move on if you try to leave the Joustus house?

riq

Feb 21, 2019
Played a couple hours, I'm fighting the first Judge next. My impressions (spoilered because huge post):
King Knight has great mobility but he feels a little bit unintuitive to control. It's like YCG combined Specter's verticality and how much better he was mantaining height with Plague's deep, complex controls.
I had particular trouble with the Bash -> Spin (can't bash again yet) -> hit something -> Spin (now bash has refreshed) loop. And outside of a specific challenge room, I haven't seem much use for the Bash-cancelling Roll, but that will probably involve more advanced play than the required to complete the game.

Enjoyed the byte sized levels and how King Knight slowly recruits more followers as more special items are obtained.

Joustus is... I'm a fan of card games but a terrible player myself. Joustus has the potential to be very fun whenever I completely grasp it. But damn it's been tough.
I can't remember the last time I felt so frustrated by not knowing or understanding a concept in a game as Joustus has made me. I felt like I was being blidesided by the AI the whole time.
I think my biggest issue is that I'm having trouble forming a "game plan".

I feel like someone playing Chess and thinking "look at all these Pawns I've taken! Meanwhile my opponent only got my Queen, so I must be winning!"
Definitely gonna need a guide for that.

Shoutouts to Showdown! Man, I love how they kept the feel of each character, even if their movesets had to be tweaked. They feel like platforming players in a fighting game, which is something not even Smash manages IMO.
Love how Shield Knight controls, and the overall movesets seem pretty simple and intuitive. Couldn't ask for more.
Later when I have some friends over gonna try different rulesets. Gem collecting is fun but I think folks are gonna prefer pure combat.

Deleted member 59

Hmmm...maybe?

It's possible you may unlock the next stage after losing, but I lost a couple times to the black knight, and never seemed to get the 'prompt' until after I beat him.

Could be you just can move on if you try to leave the Joustus house?

Yeah If you go back to the start you get a little scene where you go to the airship with others and can just carry on.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Is the physical complete edition (Switch) ready to come out at dlc release or did they f'd that up and it's coming "later after release somewhere".

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
interesting that the card game may be optional. I assumed it was forced as it seemed like the story revolved around it. Would please me if I can just ignore it all and just do the platforming stuff. Really wish they'd make that more clear though in the first place.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
interesting that the card game may be optional. I assumed it was forced as it seemed like the story revolved around it. Would please me if I can just ignore it all and just do the platforming stuff. Really wish they'd make that more clear though in the first place.

Yeah I think that's why so many here have been asking if it's optional as it's certainly presented from a story point of view as essential.
The indications so far seems to be pointing to it being optional though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think that's why so many here have been asking if it's optional as it's certainly presented from a story point of view as essential.
The indications so far seems to be pointing to it being optional though.
Good stuff. I don't mind it in that case. Even if its required at the end game, I should have the case to use a cheat item (or have better cards) to make it easier. Which is handy.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How much of the movement feels like Wario Land?

The first trailer back then seemed like this would be inspired by it at least.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... looking to see if the card stuff is optional... if you want to see everything in the game, it isn't technically since (post game spoilers)
you have a secret boss that is only fightable after beating all other card players. And her first phase is a card battle...

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
6/10 from gamecentral

In Short: A disappointing way to end an otherwise epic series (especially if you take into account Showdown) but the retro visuals and excellent 2D platforming can still delight.
Pros: The 2D level design is great as always and the old school graphics are gorgeous. Amusing script and characters, with plenty of content and secrets.
Cons: Joustus isn't really that enjoyable. King Knight's combat frequently feels fiddly and unsatisfying. Fragmented action and lots of reused assets.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
How much of the movement feels like Wario Land?

The first trailer back then seemed like this would be inspired by it at least.

The charging ability is very similar to Wario Land series buth that is just a first impression, since the charging usually is used as a setup to a second ability that is more similar to a double jump with the ability to gain height and attack the enemies from the top. I mean, if you just jump over an enemy you will take damage, but if you jump after performing a charge over other enemy or some places in the level (like walls), you will start spinning and you will make falling damage over the enemies. So, the levels are set up for the charging-spinning move in a way that you will be bouncing over enemies and some level's parts in some kind of combo move after you set up youself with a charge. It's pretty rewarding when you pull off a move like that even if the game, for the moment, don't necessarily push you to achieve that.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Played a few hours tonight. The platforming remains top notch and the world/characters are dripping with charm as always.

Joustus is interesting but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I'm hoping I click with it more as it goes on - I can see how this is a really well-designed little two player game, but I don't know if it's one my brain works well with.

I... don't think I like Showdown so far. Maybe I just need time to get used to it, but it seems way too chaotic, and the first story run I did (Specter Knight) had a terrible final boss where I would go from a massive lead to defeated in the course of a few seconds because of how much was flying around the screen.

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the campaign so far and the card game seems alright, I didn't find it too hard early on at least. Showdown, though... I've only played as Shovel Knight and got to the final boss (but died)... it's pretty lame at best. Maybe other characters are better.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Played a few hours last night, cleared the first map.

Unfortunately my mind hasn't changed that the original Shovel Knight is still the best iteration of the game. Basically everything in the game is designed around Shovel Knight (obviously) and not these other characters. At least controlling King Knight isn't as bad as Plague Knight. In King of Cards' case, I especially don't care about the bite-sized levels. This might make this the "biggest" game in the collection according to YCG, but it all just feels like padding and like I'm just going through the same scenery over and over again and listening to the same music multiple times. I'm sorry but this doesn't work for me. "Shovel of Hope" was the best. Long, unique, proper-ass levels, with small bonus levels intermixed between. In this DLC it feels like it's all just made of small bonus levels.

And the card game blows. YCG really screwed up by further punishing you if you lose.

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
for me those updates got progressively worse, i mean nice that they add stuff but i still think the OG Shovel Knight is the best of all the SK games available

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Spectre Knight is still a highlight for me. His mobility rocked, loved the redesigned levels as well, felt like a brand new game. I'm enjoying King Knights mobility as well, feels different to the main game. Honestly this'd be another home run for me if a boss wasn't tied behind the card game.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Played a few hours last night, cleared the first map.

Unfortunately my mind hasn't changed that the original Shovel Knight is still the best iteration of the game. Basically everything in the game is designed around Shovel Knight (obviously) and not these other characters. At least controlling King Knight isn't as bad as Plague Knight. In King of Cards' case, I especially don't care about the bite-sized levels. This might make this the "biggest" game in the collection according to YCG, but it all just feels like padding and like I'm just going through the same scenery over and over again and listening to the same music multiple times. I'm sorry but this doesn't work for me. "Shovel of Hope" was the best. Long, unique, proper-ass levels, with small bonus levels intermixed between. In this DLC it feels like it's all just made of small bonus levels.

And the card game blows. YCG really screwed up by further punishing you if you lose.

I haven't played much of King of Cards yet, but I feel the other expansions clearly built on the original Shovel Knight design, and their levels /enemy placement etc, while similar on a superficial level were clearly actually built all around the new characters and their abilities.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
Hmm, yeah putting a few hours into the game and while I think Joustus is clever and a pretty good variation on Triple Triad-esque games, I'm not a huge fan of actually playing it. It takes a little bit of time to get grips on controlling King himself, but the platforming is pretty good. I sort of wish it was more Wario-esque.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Have they given any updates on when the versions not yet out will be released?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Have they given any updates on when the versions not yet out will be released?

The page they posted on before seems to keep updating, and now has:

3DS – North America – Fri, December 13th
3DS – Europe – December 10th, Out now!
Wii U – Europe – December 10th, Out now!
PS3 – North America –
In final steps of submission.
PS3 – Europe –
In final steps of submission.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The page they posted on before seems to keep updating, and now has:

3DS – North America – Fri, December 13th
3DS – Europe – December 10th, Out now!
Wii U – Europe – December 10th, Out now!
PS3 – North America – In final steps of submission.
PS3 – Europe – In final steps of submission.

It's out now after all in the EU on Wii U???

What a time to be alive!

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game/series is extremely hit and miss to me. I love the Shovel and Specter games but loathe Plague and I am sad to say, King Knight as well, I just don't find their method of movement through the world or combat enjoyable at all and adding to that I also despise card games so it made me sad to see it so prevalent in this one. Going into this one blind was a mistake, I guess.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played much of King of Cards yet, but I feel the other expansions clearly built on the original Shovel Knight design, and their levels /enemy placement etc, while similar on a superficial level were clearly actually built all around the new characters and their abilities.
I can understand feeling their way about Plague Knight - the levels are very similar to Shovel Knight's campaign but just tweaked for his movement. Specter Knight on the other hand is a completely different beast with vastly different (better) levels and is far and away YCG's best work imo. I haven't played this yet though but I'm hoping it's closer to the latter in how much it changes things up.