• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Can you buy unique cards from Chester through the mystery purchases or can those only be gotten from winning matches?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Finished it with 100%.

I don't want to try and rate the campaigns separately but what an amazing game. Probably one of the best value single player titles of the generation.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
This game seems pretty tough due to the new movement scheme and its reliance on chaining bounce jumps. I can tell it will be a great speedrun game.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
So is the card stuff more or less optional? I have zero interest in card games, but I love this series.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
The card stuff is optional if you don't want to do it, and I think you're still able to unlock all the relics without touching it.
Fantastic. That is all I needed to hear. Purchasing it now.
And honestly thinking about it a little bit more, if it is optional and or just a lite version of a card game, I will at least see what it is all about I am sure. Just wanted to verify it was not integral to the experience.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You miss one hidden bonus if you skip the card battles (and looking ahead at vids, its something very cool) but the main plot/campaign doesn't require any card playing.
That said, playing more tonight and between using some cheat items early on (which makes the matches trivial) and getting better cards from victory, the matches definitely get better. Whoever said its more like a block shifting puzzle (either in this thread or another) was absolutely right.

Deleted member 59

Yeah I'm getting better at the card game, but still not entirely sure of any real strategy ha.

Is this place the unofficial OT then? Maybe the title needs updating to reflect that?

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, how do you unlock King Knight's swag walk?

kingknightwalk5ujz6.gif

I just started the game, but I'm not asking for it later. I'm asking for it NOW!

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying King Knight more than any of the other characters. It's just so much fun to play.

Oct 26, 2017
I might have played the card game more than the platformer so far, but I'm finding the theme with the rocks and bombs tough to win.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I have been reading the thread and some of the reviews, just want to confirm as it made it seem like it was possibly different, Showdown is a separate $10 purchase (talking on the Switch) and it is like a Smash Bros type game? If so, yeah I can skip that.

And my other bigger question is did I read the Destructoid review correctly that somehow all of this stuff would be free for owners of the original game? If so, looks like I need to power up my Vita. Or do they mean owners of Treasure Trove? (which not even sure what that is tbh)

TIA to anyone that can answer. I already picked up King of Cards on my Switch, but if I can somehow get them all for free on my Vita as an OG owner, yeah, that is also a no brainer.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
If you owned Shovel Knight before they changed it to "Treasure Trove" earlier this year, you get everything. Showdown is also included for all owners of the original.

TechMetalRules

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 11, 2019
United States
I'm not very far yet...

Just beat Black Knight in Joustus

...but I'm really enjoying it! It just feels good to be playing the game again (haven't picked it up since beating Spectre). The new platforming mechanic is really fun and I'm digging the card game.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Just played the first levels and already loving it. These guys are pure masters at level design. Seriously, this game and celeste might be some of the best platformers ever. If they would've been released in the 16 bit era I bet they would've blown everyone's minds either way. Timeless games.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The core gameplay with King Knight feels weird. Sometimes you dash into a wall and the timing to jump is not very consistent, meaning i died a lot on holes because of that. Collision with bigger enemies when you spin above them also feels wrong, looks kind of random if you deal or take damage sometimes.

The level design is pretty great anyway, and i'm enjoying it a lot so far despite the problems. The sensation of having an entire campaign for free day one is so great, YCG devs are the real mvps.

Specter Knight still the best campaign by far. Tho King Knight has probably the best overword due to the secret exits.

Also, still didn't get how to not suck on the card game.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I hate Showdown, I know I'm bad but medium difficulty being this hard should not be happening, guess I'll just do all story mode on easy and move on.
Those CPU block everything and can land 2 hit on you before you recover when you can't do the same.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a fantastic expansion, and thankfully Yacht Club figured out how to make King Knight his usual egotistical self without being absolutely insufferable. He's got a pretty interesting moveset, and also a really good set of subweapons.

I'm kinda mixed on Joustus, but that's mainly because I'm not that good at card games. My main deckbuilding strategy is mostly trying to balance out the directions in my deck as well as max out the number of double arrows and also accomodate triples where possible (though triples also expire after a few turns, which makes using them inherently risky). But doing all the card battles is worth it for the event you unlock for defeating the four Joustus House champions, which is incredible.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know where to post this, but has anyone done the story mode in Showdown? I was playing on Medium (Normal?) and I was having no problems until I got to the "Percy's Targets" mini-game level. Holy shit, I had no idea I was so bad at this game. You're supposed to get combos to get to 25000 points, and I have only ever gotten like 17000. I have no idea how to beat this. It seems like the difficulty is completely misbalanced with respect to the actual fights. Weird!

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I don't know where to post this, but has anyone done the story mode in Showdown? I was playing on Medium (Normal?) and I was having no problems until I got to the "Percy's Targets" mini-game level. Holy shit, I had no idea I was so bad at this game. You're supposed to get combos to get to 25000 points, and I have only ever gotten like 17000. I have no idea how to beat this. It seems like the difficulty is completely misbalanced with respect to the actual fights. Weird!
Yeah, it felt like Showdown was tuned really harsh. I did manage to beat Percy after struggling a bit on Medium, but between that and the final fight I just started doing easy for everyone else.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Did someone do all 4 Joustus houses? I assume the 4th one is your own airship but I have done everyone in there. All the old bosses too.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
All the other campaigns only took about 5 hours.

I finished King of Cards at just under 16 hours. Goddamn, that card game kept me occupied.

Good shit, Yacht Club.

Did someone do all 4 Joustus houses? I assume the 4th one is your own airship but I have done everyone in there. All the old bosses too.
Fourth one is on the final map. You beat the first level there by taking the red route and it opens up.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the main game yesterday, wrapped up left over stages today, so next it's onto smashing my head against joustus and nabbing the three or so remaining exits I didn't take yet since they lead to places I can already reach.

From a level design standpoint I kinda feel like King of Cards has some of the best while simultaneously approaching some of the weakest. When the difficulty spiked it was a lot more noticeable, not that there's anything to truly grind any gears but there were some moments usually involving long bottomless pits, autoscroll (or both combined) and a few iffy interactions that stood out to me as things I was surprised made it through.
Notably I got to tackle the airship stage today with the ladders and this one part where you dash off a ladder into a breakaway wall to finish the screen only for an immediate surprise fan knight to be behind said wall and just blow me straight into oblivion and maaaaan, that was pretty damn wank!
And while not a major gripe, a few stages felt like they could've used another checkpoint where the shorter stages approaches seemed to be trying to stretch just how far "shorter" could reach while relishing in pits.

Conversely on the flip side of design, the way stages can be meticulously set up to fully engage with King Knight's unorthodox method of movement is just so damn tight at times you've gotta marvel at it. There's plenty of new stage gimmick ideas to compliment the royal spin on older ones, it's also nice seeing some new stage theming at points.
Some of the returning ideas I'm still not fond of, I've never quite liked SK's approach to dark sections for instance. King Knight can feel a bit unwieldy against certain bosses, especially those that like to hang around above the player (probably should've kept the armour that let you upwards dash but there was no going back from SWAG WALK armour)
I like how some subweapons tend to experiment with more ways to add movement options to King's inherently horizontal start up, I actually only picked up the flame sword one in the post game sweep and dang I wish I had this sooner. It's a great combat tool and movement option to go alongside the bubble and sceptre dash in these departments.

It's another strong game on the whole, just with the feeling of diminishing returns as the fourth trip across mostly similar environments, like a much more adventurous take on the NSMBU 4 and a half entries of progress but ultimately still running into the issue of being like "It's great but I'm also kinda glad we're moving on now".

Spectre and Shovel lead the charge still, but King is close behind, Plague sorta lingers in fourth place feeling like the Knuckles playthrough to Shovel Knight's Sonic.
I dipped back into showdown with the cheat code input but despite the fun novelty of being able to play as all sorts from this instant classic cast of characters (heck yeah Mona and Mr Hat), I just don't see it catching on if I broke this out with friends, I'm still impressed how much they put into it though, there's like towerfall levels of customisation tucked away in here.

Treasure Trove is a killer collection and I might just be missing those that are highlighting it, but I swear it's getting almost glossed over by some "of the decade" lists.
Can't wait to see what's next, new genre and series entirely? the jump to 3D in N64 era stylings for Shovel Knight? in any case I'm on board the yacht.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I was a little hesitant at first, but once you get a feel for the new movement system, it sure is enjoyable.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

It's not really too hard once you learn the trick - you get a score bonus if you break every target in a group, so make sure you're doing that and not just trying to hit random targets all over the place because they're not worth much on their own. Also, don't hit the bombs because they take away a lot of points, but try to break the targets around the bombs because you'll still get that group bonus.

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
So if I've only played the original campaign so far, which of the others should I prioritize? Is King of Cards the best of the rest?