• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Shower after strenuous activity or if you got dirty.
Shower off your night sweats in the morning.

Oh gee, another era hygiene thread.

going to sleep clean and refreshed after a shower is my vibe. Makes my morning routine faster too.

I can't imagine coming home from the gym and going to sleep like that. that's marinating in filth right there
You're marinating all day in the filth you generated during sleep, seems worse to me.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I shower twice a day like a sensible and clean human being. Before bed and after waking up.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How the hell is someone marinating in their own filth while sleeping if they take a shower right beforehand? OP, were you enjoying the weekend a little too much before making this thread?

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
Morning crew for me, I couldn't deal with waking up after 8 hours of sleep and starting the day off dirty. I feel like it's probably dependant on how much you sweat though.

Feb 10, 2018
My roommate showers at 9:00-11:00 PM instead of in the morning like a normal person. I tell him I'd feel like I was marinating in my own filth overnight if I showered then, but he also says that about NOT showering before bed.

How do you feel about this

That does not make sense, you would be marinating in more filth if you didn't shower before bed. However I don't think showering before bed is necessary.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I am a zookeeper so I take a shower when I get home. Taking a shower in the morning is pointless since I am usually sweating within an hour of starting my work day.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Yeah, if you're a manual laborer or a food service worker, it totally makes sense to take a shower at night. Had forgotten about that stretch of my life probably being the reason why I was taking showers at night even after changing my job to an office job.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Unless there's something wrong (sick -i.e. chills from the flu/achy) where I need a good soak to feel better, I take pretty quick showers (like maybe ~ 5 mins, enough to get wet and quickly scrub myself) so I typically do two: once before bed to wash off the day's filth and once in the morning (as much as a way to wake up than getting clean). I will do more if needed (i.e. get really sweaty or mowing the lawn).

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
It's all about genetics, man. Some people magically don't get dirty, even for a couple of days. Me, I need to shower in the morning. If I showered at night instead, I'd be wasting precious clean hours. My shower would be partially used up before I even started the next day.

Obviously I'd never go to bed without showing post-gym, but I'm happy to run down the clock on my cleanliness level while I sleep. Morning reset; I'm at my best for the day.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
People only shower once a day???
giphy.gif

Oct 28, 2017
Yup, I try and shower twice a day if i can.

I have friends who admit to showering once every other day. They fucking repulse me

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I know exactly one person that showers before bed. Is this an american thing??

No, I think Americans differ on the subject. I know my family all take showers at night, and usually a quick one in the am. I know many people who don't do this and I secretly judge them.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Shower at night, quick rinse in the morning. Doesn't need to be complicated yo. I used to go to sleep without showering but after marriage I started showering before bed and, looking back, I'm grossed out by how I used to live.

Same here. My room used to feel like it needed to be aired out when I'd go to bed without showering.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Unless I'm doing strenuous activity, it has to be morning for me or my hair feels horrible and greasy.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I do both. Can't go to bed in filth, but I wake up with greasy hair and face, that's a no-no. Shower before or work or getting out is a must.

OP
OP
Orayn

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I was being kind of hyperbolic with the "marinating in filth" part of the OP, I just feel like I get kind of sweaty/greasy overnight and would rather shower immediately before heading to work.

The ironic part is that I don't really mind being sweaty/dirty as much if I'm just doing nothing at home (I usually shower late morning or early afternoon on the weekends if I don't have anything planned) but if I'm leaving the house at all I want to be as clean as possible when I leave. In that regard maybe I am the true filth marinator.

WeaseL-

Oct 27, 2017
UK
You should shower once every other day according to experts and it would also be better for the environment and cut co2 if people really cared.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017

Hmm, shower habits of other cultures is interesting.

I've talked to people in the past who've told me I shouldn't shower every day unless you are doing strenuous activities. I have oily skin and hair , and that I am making it worse stripping it all away and having my body replenish it to often.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I shower in the morning, after I use my exercise machine. The rest of the day I am inside working with AC or heat. I don't see the point of showering at night and then in the morning. I also have long hair and I hate sleeping with wet hair.

If I go out during the day and it is very hot and I am outside all day I will shower when I get home but normally, one shower a day is fine.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
I live in a tropical country (Brasil) and exercise somewhat regularly...

The only answer is to shower twice minimum.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
None of them seem to particularly encourage anything wrong with daily showers if you're not experiencing dryness or skin issues.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The fuck are you doing while you sleep?
The same as you and every other human on the planet: sweating which will allow bacteria to build up which can cause smells.

Not showering in the morning is really no more gross than not showing at night, either is fine. Your original comment applies to both, though, you should know that.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, shower habits of other cultures is interesting.

I've talked to people in the past who've told me I shouldn't shower every day unless you are doing strenuous activities. I have oily skin and hair , and that I am making it worse stripping it all away and having my body replenish it to often.

Yup. I've always showered once a day, and it's such a natural part of my daily routine that anything else would feel unnatural. But I've heard more than once that it's actually even somewhat bad for your skin to do it that often, never mind twice a day. If you're doing manual labour or working out I get it, but two showers a day if not seems absolutely excessive.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The same as you and every other human on the planet: sweating which will allow bacteria to build up which can cause smells.

Not showering in the morning is really no more gross than not showing at night, either is fine. Your original comment applies to both, though, you should know that.

Do you live in a warmer climate? Because I'm definitely not sweating while I sleep every night. In fact it's pretty rare.

DeepBlueDay

Jan 10, 2020
I shower every second day. Each day during summer when it gets really hot. Guess I'm an unnormal person then? So be it.

It's not because I'm lazy or a dirty person, it's because I want to save some water for the environment/money for my pocket.

By the way my girlfriend who has a VERY sensitive nose tells me in all honesty that I don't stink. And if I would stink, she would tell me immediately.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
What the fuck are you doing during sleep that makes you sweat like crazy? It can't be worse than a whole days worth of activities.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Please provide receipts
Your body sweats during the day and night. Some more than others but that is how it works. You also will be used to your own smells so you won't necessarily be able to tell if you do smell strong enough that you need a wash.

You sweat during the day, and at night.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
None of them seem to particularly encourage anything wrong with daily showers if you're not experiencing dryness or skin issues.

Two of those links does mention that too frequent showering might distrupt beneficial bacteria on the skin that plays a part in our immune system, not to mention that it can result in skin issues where there was previously none.

As I mentioned above, I shower once a day, and have no intention of stopping. But I also have no issues acknowledging that I do so for cultural reasons rather than hygienic or health related ones. And the rampant germaphobia in this thread teeters on the pathological. We as biological organisms are not designed to be sterile. That is not our natural state. A little dirt won't kill us (unless we're at the operating table).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Two of those links does mention that too frequent showering might distrupt beneficial bacteria on the skin that plays a part in our immune system, not to mention that it can result in skin issues where there was previously none.

As I mentioned above, I shower once a day, and have no intention of stopping. But I also have no issues acknowledging that I do so for cultural reasons rather than hygienic or health related ones. And the rampant germaphobia in this thread teeters on the pathological. We as biological organisms are not designed to be sterile. That is not our natural state. A little dirt won't kill us (unless we're at the operating table).
People are offended by body oders. They don't personally bother me unless they're super beefy.

It's less about the germs and more about the smells.

killuglypop

Jan 9, 2020
Both to a certain extent. I cannot fathom just getting out of bed and going straight to work without showering though. Especially when working with the general public. Or with food.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your body sweats during the day and night. Some more than others but that is how it works. You also will be used to your own smells so you won't necessarily be able to tell if you do smell strong enough that you need a wash.

You sweat during the day, and at night.

Again I have to ask if you live in a warmer climate