• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I've tried rewatching Kenan and Kel and I can't do it, that type of humor is just not funny anymore (and it has Kenan, so yea). I had the same issue with All That, for me, they definitely did not age well.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How I Met Your Mother
as a pre-teen i thought it was the best thing ever, nowadays ehhh?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I've been rewatching old Disney Channel/Nickelodeon stuff lately too. Lizzie McGuire/Phil of the Future/Zoey 101 are actually fucking terrible and I remember enjoying all three of those.

That's So Raven and Drake & Josh haven't aged a day. They're still pretty hilarious.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man Animated Series.

I never noticed how it wouldn't stop making noise. I powered through the show in a week or so and had a headache for half that time.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
There are shows I watched as a kid (before 16) that I still love watching today
Doctor Who, The Goodies, Monkey, The Muppet Show, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica, Six Million Dollar Man, Wonder Woman, Thunderbirds, Blake's 7.

and stuff I remember loving that I wouldn't go near with a barge pole today - like Diff'rent Strokes, Knight Rider, Gilligan's Island, Gomer Pyle, Starsky and Hutch, Benson, Happy Days, MASH, Laverne and Shirley, all and every cartoon series (very few weren't garbage but even the good ones just aren't things I want to watch anymore)

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Bucky O Hare

I remember watching that show and loving it as a kid but when we decided to give it a watch with some bears we learned we didn't watch the show but only one VHS tape a bunch of times and while that first VHS tape had actual good episodes everything but everything after that was some nonsense, seemed like they cut out some things making some scenes have no sense at all, they stopped with the narrative they started in the first 4 episodes.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Animaniacs.

Used to love it until I actually got the jokes. Now I can only see it as a bunch of smug irritants making life miserable for hardworking people around them. Constant, baffling pop culture references too. And an obnoxious, intrusive soundtrack.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Seinfeld. Enjoyed it as a teen but now I am annoyed by almost all of the characters. The same goes for Friends as well. Matt (Joey) and Matthew (Chandler) really carried that show.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I use to love watching anime, but I now find the way shows are structured tedious as fuck. Endless character reaction shots, monologues, flashbacks, and time wasters. Oddly enough I think filler is structured better than "the real" arcs .

megashock5

Oct 27, 2017
Powell, Ohio
There are shows I watched as a kid (before 16) that I still love watching today
Doctor Who, The Goodies, Monkey, The Muppet Show, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica, Six Million Dollar Man, Wonder Woman, Thunderbirds, Blake's 7.

and stuff I remember loving that I wouldn't go near with a barge pole today - like Diff'rent Strokes, Knight Rider, Gilligan's Island, Gomer Pyle, Starsky and Hutch, Benson, Happy Days, MASH, Laverne and Shirley, all and every cartoon series (very few weren't garbage but even the good ones just aren't things I want to watch anymore)
Laverne & Shirley and Happy Days actually hold up pretty well. Stuff like Knight Rider, CHiPs and Dukes of Hazzard are hard to watch. Painfully hard.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Family Matters comes to mind. Pretty sure that Urkel would annoy the living hell out of me now, even though he made me crack up as a kid.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
701.jpg

Thundercats

I can't say I hated it but it really wasn't very good. Snarf annoyance became real even though I always said he wasn't that bad. He was.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I use to love watching anime, but I now find the way shows are structured tedious as fuck. Endless character reaction shots, monologues, flashbacks, and time wasters. Oddly enough I think filler is structured better than "the real" arcs .
Well it's still an issue for long runing shounens, the genre is troupey as hell. If you want quality anime usually it's 12 to 24 eps. There are exceptions like hunter x hunter, gintama but those are few and far between.

Unspoken90

Oct 28, 2017
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Although I would say hate is a strong word.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Animaniacs.

Used to love it until I actually got the jokes. Now I can only see it as a bunch of smug irritants making life miserable for hardworking people around them. Constant, baffling pop culture references too. And an obnoxious, intrusive soundtrack.
I revisited Animaniacs recently and agree totally. I appreciate Slappy Squirrel way more these days, tho.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Animaniacs.

Now you know why they were locked up in that WB water tower for 80 years.

I recall rewatching the early episodes of TMNT '89 and being put off my the terrible writing.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I used to be obsessed with Freakazoid but I don't think a lot of it probably holds up

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
South Park.

I loved it as a kid but when I look back at it I realised just how insensitive and offensive it was to minorities and LGBT people. Things like gay jokes constantly made about Mr. Garrison, dick size jokes about Japanese people or Ethiopian children clamoring to eat a fat American are so gross. How about the constant jokes about Jewish people directed at Kyle? Oh look, Cartman is dressed like Hitler for Halloween for a joke.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Three's Company. Recently saw some reruns and couldn't believe what a garbage show it is. There's probably a few shows from the 70s and 80s that wouldn't be "politically correct" now.

Another form of media that has really changed for me is music. I was into hair band rock back then but I hear it now and cringe. There are some groups that remain timeless, but you may be surprised at how many artists that you thought you would love forever as a teen but when you get older you just realize that the style of music is just no longer appealing.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't think I could re-watch Friends again. I saw every episode (several times) as a kid/teen
Even though i havent actually attempted to re-watch it, i know that Friends is on my list of shows that i hate these days.

I enjoyed it when i was younger (mainly since it was after Simpsons on channel 4 after school here in the UK) but thinking back now and the show is just so white and privileged (I say that as a white man). Its also bigoted and just has a bunch of smug arseholes who you are meant to empathizse with.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Almost every show aimed at kids (or anyone for that matter) is worthless, you're better off getting them into books and things like Planet Earth. I remember my dad basically forcing us to watch the Discovery Channel back when it was all "animal shows" and the History Channel back when it was actually historical documentaries. I would rather have been watching Ren and Stimpy for the 100th time but it was definitely the right thing, and I'm thankful for it.

There is value in kids keeping up with the pop culture zeitgeist of course, so that when all of their classmates are playing Power Rangers (or whatever) at recess, they aren't sitting in the corner friendless quoting Sartre at them.

The shows that I remember being involved in "breaking the ice" and helping kickstart lifelong friendships were Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers... maybe DBZ... and not much else. I can look back on pretty much every show other than those and judge that I gained almost zero benefit from watching them at all. Multiplayer video games had a lot more impact in this regard.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Handful of sitcoms I watched as a tween/pre-teen that I wouldn't be able to take today:
  • Friends
  • Wings
  • Basically most sitcoms with 'studio audiences' other than Seinfeld
  • I never really liked South Park, but did watch it for the first 4-5 seasons
There's only a handful that have aged well for me:
  • Seinfeld
  • Frasier
  • Cheers
When I was a kid, it was peak "Let's turn consumer products into kids TV shows." So, like, on Saturday morning I watched a show made by the Raisin Trade Advocacy Group of America, and genuinely liked it. My parents were probably like "Wtf why are they trying to sell you raisins?" Thankfully those days are mostly gone.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Even though i havent actually attempted to re-watch it, i know that Friends is on my list of shows that i hate these days.

I enjoyed it when i was younger (mainly since it was after Simpsons on channel 4 after school here in the UK) but thinking back now and the show is just so white and privileged (I say that as a white man). Its also bigoted and just has a bunch of smug arseholes who you are meant to empathizse with.
Funny, Friends was also on before (?) the Simpsons every day here in Germany that's why everybody watched it.
But I can definitely watch those old Simpsons Episodes over and over again. They aged like good wine tbh.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
YuGiOh, Pokemon, Zoids, Code Lyoko, ReBoot, Mucha Lucha, Time Squad, Chalk Zone, Johnny Bravo.

A6502

Jan 22, 2018
Going back to the 1970s, The Six Million Dollar Man doesn't quite hold up, it's a little on the dull side. However, The Bionic Woman holds up much better mostly because of the actress also some better stories. The Night Stalker is really great to this day.

Most of the early 1980s shows are painful to watch now. A-team, chips. I still enjoy Dukes of hazzard at times, but the hour long format is a chore to sit through.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Power Rangers, I actually tried watching through the entire series again and my goodness there are soooo many flaws and inconsistencies. It was still fun if you don't really pay attention and there was some cool moments but damn nowhere near as good as I remember.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Going back to the 1970s, The Six Million Dollar Man doesn't quite hold up, it's a little on the dull side. However, The Bionic Woman holds up much better mostly because of the actress also some better stories. The Night Stalker is really great to this day.

Most of the early 1980s shows are painful to watch now. A-team, chips. I still enjoy Dukes of hazzard at times, but the hour long format is a chore to sit through.
Those are good picks. Most action shows were not big budget and just didn't have the tech and resources to be anywhere near as impressive as modern shows. If they don't have the acting and storyline to carry the show, the effects are just going to make the whole thing look cheesy and cheap.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I'm probably biased because I watched the ever loving crap out of Dukes of Hazzard reruns on The Nashville Network as a kid but I still enjoy watching the show, at least until the Coy and Vance episodes. The first season is a little tough because the tone changes drastically in season 2. And obviously the show can be tough to watch for one great big obvious bright orange reason...

but I'm still a fan

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a show but Scott Pilgrim film, despite I never liked Michael Cera as Scott I remember liking it overall.
I did a rewatch recently, well I wish I didn't do it...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Although I would say hate is a strong word.
Power Rangers, I actually tried watching through the entire series again and my goodness there are soooo many flaws and inconsistencies. It was still fun if you don't really pay attention and there was some cool moments but damn nowhere near as good as I remember.
Power Rangers?
Power Rangers.
May I recommend Jetman? It's a mix of soap opera and Sci-Fi, lots of well executed drama! It's fun :D Please give it a try
jetman-dvd.jpg

It should be available at ShoutFactoryTV if your are in the US:
http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/super...-e1-seek-the-warrior/5c4fadbc72289b10ec003a32
It might not rekindle your PR appreciation, but maybe some new liking to Sentai?

Or there is also Tokusatsu GaGaGa, a comedy/toku/drama :D

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Throws stone on me but another exemple for me would be the Star Trek Original Series. Loved it as a kid. I can still respect it for what it was, but I tried to watch it again recently anc could endure just s couple of episodes. The themes may still hold, but the pacing? Argh. I can give a pass to low budget fx, some bad acting, but the pacing kills it for me.