• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
At the TCA summer press tour, Showtime made six casting announcements for its upcoming live-action Halo TV series based on the iconic video game franchise. These newcomers will join actor Pablo Schreiber, who was cast as Master Chief back in April. The series will premiere in the first quarter of 2021.

"[Natascha] McElhone will star as two characters -- Dr. Catherine Halsey, the brilliant, conflicted and inscrutable creator of the Spartan supersoldiers and Cortana, the most advanced AI in human history, and potentially the key to the survival of the human race," according to a press release from Showtime.

McElhone and Schreiber will be joined by veteran actors Bokeem Woodbine and Shabana Azmi. "Woodbine will play Soren-066, a morally complex privateer at the fringes of human civilization whose fate will bring him into conflict with his former military masters and his old friend, the Master Chief. Azim will portray Admiral Margaret Parangosky, the head of the Office of Naval Intelligence."

Per Showtime, "the series will also introduce three all-new characters to the Halo universe. Bentley Kalu will play Spartan Vannak-134, a cybernetically augmented supersoldier conscripted at childhood who serves as the defacto deputy to the Master Chief. Natasha Culzac will star in the role of Spartan Riz-028 – a focused, professional and deadly, cybernetically enhanced killing machine. Kate Kennedy stars as Spartan Kai-125, an all-new courageous, curious and deadly Spartan supersoldier."

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realize she was 49, I thought she was way too young to play Halsey.. but I can see it.

I liked her on Designated Survivor.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Is this show still canon to the games?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Soren? Pretty sure he was a Spartan featured in a short story... ten years ago? Damn.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Parangosky is a solid "lore" pull for the show, it'll still be weird not hear Jen Taylor's voice for Cortana though.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
No, and it never was.
It's not! It's inspired by the game, obviously, but it won't follow the book/games storylines closely.
Huh. I was thinking it was but couldn't remember why, but I just came across this IGN article:

When asked if the show would tell an original story or draw from the existing source material, Levine said, "It is a new story but we are being incredibly respectful of the canon and working with the Microsoft/343 people to be sure we don't violate any of that."
I guess the quote could read either way, but it sounds to me like they're trying to fit it into the rest of the Halo canon? Or am I interpreting it incorrectly / did I miss something more recent?

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
If Halo Infinite gets high popularity/critical aclaim, the show might get more eyeballs on it.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hype increasing after seeing Bokeem Woodbine is going to be in it. He was fantastic in Fargo S2.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Will be odd to hear someone else as Cortana and Halsey but I'm happy to hear they're moving forward with casting.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I just realized that this means Desus and Mero X Halo
220px-DesusvsMero.jpg

Red vs Blue

Hmmmm

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Huh. I was thinking it was but couldn't remember why, but I just came across this IGN article:

I guess the quote could read either way, but it sounds to me like they're trying to fit it into the rest of the Halo canon? Or am I interpreting it incorrectly / did I miss something more recent?

I was mainly going on by this news : https://www.vg247.com/2019/04/11/halo-tv-series-may-shift-dates-locations-ethnicity-characters/

What I'm gathering from this is that they might just switch things around depending on the actors they find. E.G. : a character that was much older might suddenly be much younger.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression taht it would air before Halo: Infinite for marketing reasons. Guess that's not the case, then.

Either way, hoping for an actual good show. I liked Forward Unto Dawn, but wasn't really a fan of Nightfall.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Solid picks all around. Having Parangosky is a great pull. Complex, interesting character to have.

As far as questions of canon, I imagine it'll be minor. Nothing that drastically changes things but also not completely beholden.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
That's actually a really great casting pick. She was really good in Designated Survivor and she looks a lot like Cortana. I am keeping my fingers crossed this will be good. I have been looking forward to it since Spielberg gave that blurb about it at the Xbox reveal in 2013.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Like I didn't expect Jen Taylor, but when you then find someone who looks SO CLOSE to her it will be a little weird

Not mad, just... odd.

Also, Jen Taylor is the best person in the whole world.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's some very good casting. She could be Jen Taylor's sister lol.

Oct 25, 2017
She's a damn good pick. Not only is she a good actor but she could be Jen Taylor's sister.

Hopefully this is good. The Expanse was damn good and was basically a Halo tv show in a lot of ways.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
She's a damn good pick. Not only is she a good actor but she could be Jen Taylor's sister.

Hopefully this is good. The Expanse was damn good and was basically a Halo tv show in a lot of ways.

The Expanse is not unlike what I imagine the Interplanetary War era of the Halo universe was like.