• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
MCV: It's been ten years since MCV first interviewed Shuhei Yoshida in his then new role as president of PlayStation's Worldwide Studios. A decade on and he's cemented his position as a true industry legend, enabling and guiding the teams that have created some of the most memorable games of that period.We're honoured and delighted that Yoshida will be receiving the Develop Legend Award at this year's Develop Awards in Brighton on July 11th....

Q: What have been your career highlights?
Shu: There are so many memorable moments in my career working with enormously talented devs, but receiving Game of the Year awards for our titles and sharing the moment with dev teams as they accept awards at industry events has always been special. Among those moments, two occasions come to my mind as most significant personally. The first was receiving the Game of the Year Award for God of War at the 2006 D.I.C.E. Awards; the first Game of the Year Award ever for Sony Interactive Entertainment first-party titles at a major industry event. I was sitting with Allan Becker – then the studio head of Santa Monica Studio that he had founded (now studio head of Sony Japan Studio) – and we hugged each other when the announcement was made. Another occasion was when Journey received the Game of the Year Award at the 2013 D.I.C.E. Awards, sweeping most award categories it was nominated in – an amazing accomplishment for the small, young indie team of ten or so at Thatgamecompany to be able to compete and beat other triple-A titles nominated.

What are your feelings about the state of the industry right now from a development perspective?
Shu:
On one hand, in the triple-A space, the scale and the tech of game development has grown so much that I feel like we are making a huge bet every time we start a new project. The end results are, when successfully executed, an amazing fusion of art and tech, providing hours and hours of highly engaging interactive entertainment in a big, often open, world to explore with lifelike characters and imaginative creatures.Because of the size of the investment, each title feels too big to fail. It creates an enormous pressure to manage these triple-A projects. These games are the drivers of the industry to become more and more mainstream entertainment. We need to keep pushing the art of making triple-A games.On the other hand, it is a golden age of indie developers; tools like Unity and Unreal Engine offer talented individuals and small teams from around the world the opportunity to create great games that can be published to a global audience. With the number of triple-A titles becoming smaller and the type of these triple-A games becoming somewhat similar to avoid taking risks, there's a vast, open field of types of games for the indie devs to explore and succeed. I'm a huge fan of indie games as I always enjoy fresh game experiences and artistic expressions. Indie titles drive innovation and experimentation in the industry and it's important for the gaming landscape that we continue to support this flourishing market.

The industry seems to be very clearly delineated between incredibly strong narrative single-player experiences and ongoing live multiplayer games. What are your thoughts on this dichotomy?
Shu:
It is extremely challenging to create a successful single player game or a successful live multiplayer game these days. The art of making each type of game has progressed so much that devs tend to pick and choose where their strength lies and where they should put their focus. It does not help to attach a half-baked online mode to a single player game, or vice versa. I think it is a result of rational thinking on the side of devs and publishers.

Sony's E3 showing and recent releases have demonstrated a growth in maturity, minority representation and diversity. How important are these things to you personally when it comes to games as a medium?
Shu: I think it is extremely important as the games become more and more mass-market entertainment; we need to cater to all kinds of people, whatever the age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity or belief. As we provide an experience to game players to become a hero or heroine to do amazing things in our games, it is good to try to create protagonists that people of different backgrounds could associate with.It feels like the quality of PlayStation first-party games has steadily increased over recent years. What are your reactions to the critical success and why do you suppose that is?It is great to hear comments like this, thank you very much. I think what we are seeing today are the results of many years of our belief and our teams' efforts to create the highest quality titles possible. I'm super appreciative of SIE's management team for understanding the importance of quality and their support for the needs of our studios to achieve the level of polish that each title needs especially towards the end of development.

More here

Last edited:

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
he has done an amazing job leading the WWS to produce some amazing games in the past 10 years. award well deserved .

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Shuhei is adorable. He seems both genuinely passionate and good at his job, and also seems like a nice person.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They did make some impressive games in the last few years. I hope they will continue to provide these large single-player games.

OP
OP
John Bender

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
haha ,, i feel we have enough of Dark souls demon souls nioh type of games(and to be fair i dont like any of them lol). i rather them do something new.
4411176-2641557306-60iwsn5.gif

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Always a pleasure reading Shu's interviews. He's one of the few bigwigs in this industry I genuinely like.

Can't wait for Heavenly Sword 2 to fill out the gap GoW has left behind.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really like this answer.

Shu: I think it is extremely important as games become more and more mass-market entertainment; we need to cater to all kinds of people, whatever the age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity or belief. As we provide an experience to game players to become a hero or heroine to do amazing things in our games, it is good to try to create protagonists that people of different backgrounds could associate with.

OP
OP
John Bender

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Really like this answer.

Shu: I think it is extremely important as games become more and more mass-market entertainment; we need to cater to all kinds of people, whatever the age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity or belief. As we provide an experience to game players to become a hero or heroine to do amazing things in our games, it is good to try to create protagonists that people of different backgrounds could associate with.
True. Creating games for everybody is the way to go.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really like this answer.

Yes! Very good answer. Other Japanese companies such as Nintendo could definitely learn a thing or two from his attitude.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shu is amazing, super likeable and honest.

So honest that he told things like this to the media: https://kotaku.com/5884268/this-is-...lopment-said-after-first-playing-demons-souls

Fuck him!
/s

i love him even more after reading this cause DS is utterly average to me haha

He ended up loving the game once it was released. I believe he said it was one of his fave games ever lol.

___

In a recent episode of the PlayStation Blogcast, Sony's official brand mascot – and Worldwide Studios president – Shuhei Yoshida revealed his top ten games of the generation. The list, unsurprisingly, is exclusively populated with the platform holder's titles:

1. Journey
2. Demon's Souls/Dark Souls (tie for #2 and #3)
3. Demon's Souls/Dark Souls (tie for #2 and #3)
4. The Last of Us
5. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
6. Sound Shapes
7. Persona 4: Golden
8. LittleBigPlanet
9. Grand Theft Auto V
10. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/11/shuhei_yoshida_reveals_his_top_ten_games_of_the_generation

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
Shu is a treasure, such a genuine and nice guy for a man in his position.

After the Dark Souls Remaster flop, I think idea of a Demon's Souls Remaster is 6 feet under.

Though I do think exclusivity would make it fare better.

I wouldn't take Dark Souls Remaster reception as a sign that a Demon's Souls Remaster or Remake isn't sought after. The DaS remaster was more like a port with little to no improvements and was already avaialble on lots of platforms and playable with better res/fps on PC. Demon's Souls on the other hand is not only older but also only on PS3 and have been missed out by many souls fans and would benefit a lot from having an improved re-release on PS4. It's pretty much the most asked for remaster/remake currently that hasn't already been greenlit.

takriel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah coming to understand and love the brilliance of Souls is definitely a process.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I think it is extremely important as the games become more and more mass-market entertainment; we need to cater to all kinds of people, whatever the age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity or belief. As we provide an experience to game players to become a hero or heroine to do amazing things in our games, it is good to try to create protagonists that people of different backgrounds could associate with.It feels like the quality of PlayStation first-party games has steadily increased over recent years
it's good to see that they get it

and their success with this approach has convincingly proved opponents of diversity wrong

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I am always glad to read anything by Shu Yoshida, he is so awesome, and it seems like it's been quite awhile since last hearing from him.

Back in 2016, around GDC, and before the PS4 Pro came out, he was asked about PlayStation 5.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/20/shuhei-yoshida-reportedly-unsure-if-there-will-be-a-ps5
Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning has said that PlayStation boss Shuhei Yoshida has expressed uncertainty as to whether there will be a PlayStation 5.
Lanning made the comments on the Game Informer Show where he said he asked a question about the possible future console ahead of an on-stage interview between the two:

"I said, 'well, what does the PlayStation 5 look like?' and he said 'you mean if'. [...] I said 'are you willing to say that on a stage?' and he said 'yeah, it's an if'."
It's been well over 2 years since he gave that comment, I wonder how he would tackle that same question now.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
They did make some impressive games in the last few years. I hope they will continue to provide these large single-player games.

Same here. There aren't that many left to do it and especially not with an unknown IP, which Sony often allows. Not many developers making games like God of War or Detroit and creators would probably be laughed out of the building for suggesting something like Death Stranding or The Last Guardian to most other publishers.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Just think, right now he's greenlighting PS5 titles and preparing Sony's software strategy for next-gen. Probably also working with PSVR 2.

Must be exciting - but also difficult to see projects so early - not being able to utter a word. Bloodborne 2, a new Sony Japan JRPG and an Ueda game incoming......

OP
OP
John Bender

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Just think, right now he's greenlighting PS5 titles and preparing Sony's software strategy for next-gen. Probably also working with PSVR 2.

Must be exciting - but also difficult to see projects so early - not being able to utter a word. Bloodborne 2, a new Sony Japan JRPG and an Ueda game incoming......
Looks like they are funding Housemarque's first big AAA game. Can't wait to see what they can do AAA-wise =D

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
It's really depressing that they have pulled guyslike Shu out of the spotlight. I don't personally hate Layden but he just comes off as a corporate CEO trying to make everyone believe he is a "gamer", he feels fake most of the time. He's not as bad as Jim Ryan, but also not as good as Shu and Boyes were.

Guys like Shu, Drake, Boyes(when he was still there) showed a visibly positive side of Sony that I feel they lacked for a long time, and have been lacking again since the restructuring.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
What?

I don't understand what you're trying to tell me...last I checked I entered a thread about Shuhei Yoshida's last 10 years at Sony.

Yep, and Bloodborne too!

Maybe I'm just being dumb, but I don't understand what you mean. What would your post be in a non sarcastic manner?

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I really like him. The games he's overseen this generation have turned out great and he is very good at managing PR.

He also partly watched my friend and I play a pvp match in Pyre at PSX2016 while he was passing through some of the booths, and seemed like a friendly and enthused man. I didn't talk to him or anything but it was awesome seeing him interact with people.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
So even the head of WWS realizes that AAA are quite samey these days. "To avoid taking risks" lol.

Mhm. It'd be nice if somebody could shake things up a bit. Like I dunno, get SIEJ to make a damn JRPG again.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
A bit deflating to read given I bought GR2 recently only to discover servers are shuttering and content is being removed from player access after like 18mo on the market.

But barring that fumble, there has been real quality out of the Sony teams for sure.

chasingclouds

Jan 5, 2018
England, U.K.
The guy always seems genuinely lovely! I follow him on Twitter and he is always taking the time to congratulate studios on their various successes in a way that sounds very genuine and personal, and not just a PR brag.

I also love that he actually plays games! He posts a lot of PS4share screens and he recently showed off his God of War platinum trophy. He always seems like a gamer who happens to hold a corporate position, not just a corporate PR guy who is just trying to drive sales.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
He needs to manage the japan studios better, but beside that i think he is doing a really great job at managing the western studios

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Shu is good people, but I'm still waiting for him to correct his biggest mistake: closing Studio Liverpool. Redeem yourself and make Colony Wars VR! You know the time is right, Shu.

OP
OP
John Bender

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
A bit deflating to read given I bought GR2 recently only to discover servers are shuttering and content is being removed from player access after like 18mo on the market.

But barring that fumble, there has been real quality out of the Sony teams for sure.
Happens when only two guys (you and me) bought the game ¯\_(ツ)_/¯