• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Thanks to salromano for sharing.

PlayStation Asia posted its Tokyo Game Show 2019 interview with Shuhei:

I watched it all and there's nothing really of note in there, unfortunately.

The other TGS interviews published by Japanese media weren't so noteworthy either. Skimmed through most of them and the only standout bit to me was Shuhei saying there is a possibility Asian developers may joins Worldwide Studios in the future (GAME Watch interview). I'm not super familiar with enough Asian developers to make any really educated guesses, but I would think miHoYo, whose game Genshin Impact Shuhei seems to be very excited for, would be a potential candidate considering how technically proficient they seem to be.

Google translated article: https://translate.googleusercontent...700265&usg=ALkJrhjbkklfj18vgNX2OpYgIWBAXbyGSA

" SIE Worldwide Studios is also a studio that plays a role in creating and deploying games in earnest as a publisher, and I think it's rare in the world for developers from Japan, the US and Europe to participate. There is a possibility that Asian developers may join us in the future, and when that happens, we are starting to think that it would be interesting to think about creating games for the Asian market as well. " Mr. Yoshida said.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So does this mean South Korean or Chinese acquisitions? I know they've been making inroads to signalboost content from those territories with shows like ChinaJoy, but they don't actually own any of the teams, right?
Does it include devs from Japan?
Presumably not, since they mention already being made up of Japanese, American and European devs.

Oct 27, 2017
Define Asian. If this is about Chinese mmorpgs or something I'm out, but it would be cool to see them bring something different to the table

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I imagine that 1 man action rpg that Sony is helping. I forgot the name. That seens like the one where Sony is most involved, didn't that guy add more people and now have a team working on the game.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like he means China/Korea/SE Asia. There's a lot of great devs in those places that are stuck doing MMOs or just support roles so if they can prop up a studio to work on something standalone for those markets it would be smart.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine that 1 man action rpg that Sony is helping. I forgot the name. That seens like the one where Sony is most involved, didn't that guy add more people and now have a team working on the game.
That's Lost Soul Aside, and this is the last bit of info we got about it from August:
Lost Soul Aside: The team has grown since last year. Rather than make a demo for ChinaJoy 2019, they chose to completely focus on development of the main build. We fully respect creator Yangbing and the team. Development takes time. Just like Hardcore Mecha, the game will be completed.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
The devs they showed off at China Joy are logical picks.

I'm still gonna hold out hope for a Capcom acquisition 😃

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Was he talking about the devs who have done the game he played recently, the Breath of the Wild clone ?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Something like Virtuos is way too fucking big to consider, right? They've worked on a ton of Sony first party stuff though.

terric101

Jan 7, 2018
Makes sense. They're heavily expanding into China, South Korea, and Taiwan plus some of there outsourcing studios are in Malaysia.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
If we wanna use historical precursor as some sort of inference to potential areas Shu is looking at...

Malaysia: Shawn and Shu in the past year - has been seen visiting Malaysia, and Shu has been more outspoken and aware of the Malaysian dev scene in recent months compared to previous years -citing Passion Republic's Gigabash.
China: Specifically Mihoyo - but Shu has been pretty vocal about him being a huge fan of the recently announced Genshin Impact.

Kaveri

Oct 28, 2017
Would make sense given their expansion into the region, and it would make their first party offerings more diverse.

I know very embarrassingly little about Asian game developers outside Japan though. What studios would be a good fit?

Quick edit: Just saw Nightengale post some examples above.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
They should get Kingdom Under Fire 2 team, and then fund them to make another action game with 15 year dev cycle.

[btw, the game is not yet out, it's in beta test in several territories :D]

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
Sony never acquisitions any Japanese studios
and do you think they will do acquisitions for Asian studios LOL

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's cool, as long as their games are on the same level as other WWS. Third person cinematic adventures with that art vision from asian developers could be dope.

But if its anything else, nah.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Are there any Asian studios that excel at VR? I'd imagine they also want to bolster their ranks there for psvr 2

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how they will convince Chinese and Korean devs to working on consoles, since the vast majority of the devs in both countries are Online PC and mobile focused.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know how they will convince Chinese and Korean devs to working on consoles, since the vast majority of the devs in both countries are Online PC and mobile focused.
Didn't they confirm they will release more games on ps and pc (they said multiplayer games though )

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, as long as it makes sense.
I think Level 5 needs saving and coherent direction.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Get some Taiwanese devs; criminally underrated. Not that I'd like to see it as I don't use my PS4 much, but it'd be a smart move.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
probably the Korean (or was it Chinese?) studio behind Lost Soul Aside.

Although it sounds like no Japanese studios, I insist that Level5 belongs with Sony and their free fall is proof of that. They really do need a hit

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017

It adds up.

EEOf4iSUYAArU9d.jpg

No JRPGs?

Fine.

Make CRPGs with JRPG style then.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be so disappointed if they continue to refuse to develop any in-house JRPGs and then start buying Chinese or Korean studios instead. Woof.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm gonna be so disappointed if they continue to refuse to develop any in-house JRPGs and then start buying Chinese or Korean studios instead. Woof.
The diversity of thought and development is good. I don't see why we can't promote studios from China and Korea as well as Japan.

As far as studios from Japan for SIE Worldwide, Clap Hanz and Media.Vision seem like good candidates. Level-5 would be one of those "understandable shockers," but we'll see.

Oct 27, 2017
Shu is gonna convince the higher ups to by Mihoyo so he can play all the Geshin/Honkai Impact he can get his hands on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The diversity of thought and development is good. I don't see why we can't promote studios from China and Korea as well as Japan.

As far as studios from Japan for SIE Worldwide, Clap Hanz and Media.Vision seem like good candidates. Level-5 would be one of those "understandable shockers," but we'll see.

They can promote them, they just need to fill the gigantic RPG-shaped hole in their first party catalog before they start buying up a bunch of tiny little studios nobody's ever heard of.

It's pathetic that Sony is the only one of the three hardware makers right now to have no RPG teams. Even MICROSOFT has like three of them now and Sony is at 0.