• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
They can promote them, they just need to fill the gigantic RPG-shaped hole in their first party catalog before they start buying up a bunch of tiny little studios nobody's ever heard of.

It's pathetic that Sony is the only one of the three hardware makers right now to have no RPG teams. Even MICROSOFT has like three of them now and Sony is at 0.
I agree on this.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I don't know how they will convince Chinese and Korean devs to working on consoles, since the vast majority of the devs in both countries are Online PC and mobile focused.

Well if Sony buys a studio they will developing for the worldwide market and won't have to worry about it.

They can promote them, they just need to fill the gigantic RPG-shaped hole in their first party catalog before they start buying up a bunch of tiny little studios nobody's ever heard of.

It's pathetic that Sony is the only one of the three hardware makers right now to have no RPG teams. Even MICROSOFT has like three of them now and Sony is at 0.

It is especially frustrating because Sony owns 3 JRPG ips and two of them were resurrected to be mobile gatcha games. Such a waste and a complete slap in the face of their customers who buy ps4 primarily Japanese games.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yet they have most rpg's on their platform. Maybe that's why they're in no rush? That so called hole is already being filled.

Western rpg's are different from JRPG's. Don't know why you listed MS.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yet they have most rpg's on their platform. Maybe that's why they're in no rush? That so called hole is already being filled.

Western rpg's are different from JRPG's. Don't know why you listed MS.

First party and third party are two different things. And Sony should know from last gen that expecting third party RPG developers to stick around just because they have them at the moment is a foolish assumption that can (and already HAS) bite them in the ass.

As for why I mentioned Microsoft, they have three RPG studios period. Sony has none, for JRPGs or otherwise. That's the problem.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Besides the Lost Souls Aside team, which seems obvious, hey should negotiate with the korean guys working on that expensive looking action game, Project EVE.

These guys also have potential:

Honestly seeing an rpg from a chinese or korean dev is much more interesting to me than any japanese dev. I'd like to see another perspective on the genre. I also completely forgot about Project EVE. It looks pretty good.

That last one reminds me of the mid budget action rpg's we used to see on ps3. Looks cool.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First party and third party are two different things. And Sony should know from last gen that expecting third party RPG developers to stick around just because they have them at the moment is a foolish assumption that can (and already HAS) bite them in the ass.

Sony has good relationships with 3rd party Japanese developers, and growing Asian ones. I see no reason why that wouldn't continue into next gen. Even if they lose a few exclusives I still don't think that matters. As long as they're still on their platform.

Point is, it isn't something Sony is lacking. So they probably don't see it as something they need to fix at the moment in the first party.

As for why I mentioned Microsoft, they have three RPG studios period. Sony has none, for JRPGs or otherwise. That's the problem.

Well this is a thread about Asian developers and your original post mentioned JRPG's. MS has 0 presence with any developers in the Asian region.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well this is a thread about Asian developers and your original post mentioned JRPG's. MS has 0 presence with any developers in the Asian region.

I'm aware. The reason I made a comparison with Microsoft was because Microsoft has a terrible first party stable and even they at least have SOME RPG developers, even if they aren't Asian. By comparison, Sony is a Japanese company and they have zero RPG studios, Japanese OR Western. That's the point of that comparison.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm aware. The reason I made a comparison with Microsoft was because Microsoft has a terrible first party stable and even they at least have SOME RPG developers, even if they aren't Asian. By comparison, Sony is a Japanese company and they have zero RPG studios, Japanese OR Western. That's the point of that comparison.

Great but Sony isn't lacking in output from either region in RPG's. Unlike MS. I would like an in house RPG studio too, but it isn't like the PS4 is starving for them.

I see this argument similar to people wanting FPS or GAAS games from Sony first party.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Save Konami's IPs please, Sony.

Kojima gets MGS back, Toyama gets Silent Hill back. Partner with FromSoft for a Castlevania reimagining.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Great but Sony isn't lacking in output from either region in RPG's. Unlike MS. I would like an in house RPG studio too, but it isn't like the PS4 is starving for them.

I see this argument similar to people wanting FPS or GAAS games from Sony first party.

I honestly disagree, though. There are almost NO AAA JRPGs on the PS4 right now. It's basically just Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. And if Square decides next-gen consoles are too expensive or too much of a headache to develop for next gen, PS4 suddenly has no RPGs, just like what happened for the entire first half of the PS3 generation.

They have to fill the gap in their own way, they CANNOT rely on an expectations that third parties will do the work for them. It's bitten them in the ass before and it will again.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Where else are the other AAA JRPGs?

Right now, Nintendo has multiple teams working on major JRPG projects AND getting third party games, including some WRPGs. And Microsoft has multiple teams working on major WRPGs while ALSO getting third party games and some JRPGs.

Meanwhile, Sony is serving NEITHER market. If y'all don't understand why this is a problem I don't know what to tell you. I've spelled it out multiple times.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Right now, Nintendo has multiple teams working on major JRPG projects AND getting third party games, including some WRPGs. And Microsoft has multiple teams working on major WRPGs while ALSO getting third party games and some JRPGs.

Meanwhile, Sony is serving NEITHER market. If y'all don't understand why this is a problem I don't know what to tell you. I've spelled it out multiple times.
What AAA JRPGs is Nintendo working on?

Jan 20, 2019

It is not, because does games dont really sell on the ps4.

Their best JRPG (Persona 5) sold like 3M copies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It is not, because does games dont really sell on the ps4.

Their best JRPG (Persona 5) sold like 3M copies.

FFXV and KH3 both absolutely demolished Persona 5 in terms of sales. Persona is not the perfect JRPG and it only selling 3 million copies does not mean there's no market for the genre.

Jan 20, 2019
FFXV and KH3 both absolutely demolished Persona 5 in terms of sales. Persona is not the perfect JRPG and it only selling 3 million copies does not mean there's no market for the genre.

True, but does 2 games are like big franchises, the same way FF7 and they are both multiplatform.

If Sony is going with a JRPG it needs to be a new ip and selling a new ip is kind hard, specially a JRPG.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
True, but does 2 games are like big franchises, the same way FF7 and they are both multiplatform.

If Sony is going with a JRPG it needs to be a new ip and selling a new ip is kind hard, specially a JRPG.

If Sony puts the right kind of marketing behind it and actually treats it like a marquee title, and it's actually a good game with a solid hook and a good visual design, it would do fine.

The issue comes down to if they just put out some mediocre anime nonsense like White Knight Chronicles, of course it won't do well. But that doesn't mean that Sony CAN'T nail it. Look at Bloodborne. Look at Horizon. You just need a hook.

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Holyyyyy. Wow. This looks amazing. Searched but couldn't find any release date or info on it's future. do u have leads ?
I wish haha. I'm as blind as you are. Apparently it was at E3 last year but no one talked about it? I know it's been in development for years.

EDIT: Some guy on reddit claims it's being reviewed by the bureau in China which handles this stuff. Not sure if it's still coming since that post was from last year:

Still, this is probably the kind of thing Sony needs and people are talking about in this thread.

Last edited: