• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
Sia has been under fire this morning, after being called out for casting a neurotypical actor to play an autistic girl in her new movie "Music".

When someone explained that due to the pandemic, Sia had to do everything last minute (hence why she couldn't hire an autistic actor), an autistic actor said she, and others, would have been happy to step in last minute, to which Sia replied:

She has since been defending her decisions and the film, while people have continued to call her out on her bad decisions, as well her working with Autism Speaks, a very controversial group among people on the spectrum.

An article about all this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro....e-ziegler-cast-as-autistic-teen-13628258/amp/

Last edited:

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I saw that #actuallyautistic was trending and knew that it just had to be some kind of bad news. That tweet is just dumb even from a practical standpoint, way to triple down.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well that is unfortunate. Sia does a lot of work with charity organizations, especially animal ones.

Sucks when people can be so helpful and at the same time so ridiculous.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What a stupid, stupid response. I can't legitimately fathom would would possess someone to respond to a tweet in that way.

Oct 28, 2017
Terrible response. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. She could have ignored this and it would have no doubt blown over quickly. Now everyone can see her acting like an asshole.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And then posts this after

ffs

edit-was before it, but still bad.

RPrBcFq.gif

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I always loved that "We couldn't find a good 'blank' actor so we just hired a white person to be 'blank'".

Maybe the reason those people aren't 'good actors' is because they are never getting a chance.

And of course an abled person playing a disabled person would seem like a better actor in that role because you go "wow I didn't know they were disabled" and are paying zero attention to anything else in that role.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Sia, read the room.

This abelist response is cold and her follow-up response just goes to show her feature film is self-centred in its intent.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's just a terrible response, regardless of anything else. You only act like that if you want it to be clear you're a total asshole.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Are there examples of media that did cast autistic actors for such roles?

There are lots of other neuro-atypical people, like RJ Mitte, who phenomenally played Walter White Jr. in Breaking Bad (he has cerebral palsy). Tal Anderson is autistic and plays in the series "Atypical" as well. There's lots. With less-visible neuro-atypical actors, you may never actually know! I think I read somewhere once that Sir Anthony Hopkins has Asperger's, and there are more I'm sure!

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That is a terrible response.

Here is the trailer for the film:

Sia cast Maddie Ziegler, the dancer who has starred in almost everyone of her music videos.

element

Oct 27, 2017
Ha. Helen is the former community manager on Minecraft. Not really an actor unless you are talking about community theater or something.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I will still watch the movie one day but Jesus, that's a horrible response. Expected more from her and hopefully she will realise that this isn't the way.

Coal Arcane

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure what you mean. Have you seen her videos where she has a girl who (whether she is one or not) looks like a child and is dancing around in nude colored ballerina tights? I mean, it's not exactly hard to see what I mean.