• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Akroma, Angel of Wrath

Image.ashx

Akroma, Angel of Fury

Image.ashx

There are more cool Magic the Gathering angels, but Akroma is the most badass of them all
YES!!!

I prefer her as the OG white land Akroma Angel of Wrath but anything Akroma is a thumbs up from me.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
angels1.png

'6 Juggernaut Star Scours The Universe' and '82 White Chain Born In Emptiness Returns To Subdue Evil' from Kill Six Billion Demons.

angels2b.png
angels3b.png

It is actually impossible to be more badass then these two.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Whis, from Dragon Ball.

Wildly different take on an angel, and leagues above a god that Goku has yet to match.

Also, he loves him some cup noodles.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mercy from Overwatch should count since the inspiration is clearly Angelic despite her just being a fun flying shooty girl

jilIuZE.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Michael from the movie Legion always struck me as one of the better angels in fiction.

And if we're talking 40k, we can't forget the greatest son of Sanguinius.

Commander Dante

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dante#/media/File:Dante-Warlords.png

The oldest living loyalist Space Marine (not interred in a dreadnought) - he has led the Blood Angels for over 1100 years. He is the Warden of Imperium Nihilus, bane of the orks, destroyer of hive fleets, and the only one the Sanguinor has ever spoken to. Guilliman compared him to a primarch, his own brother.

Even Gabriel Seth of the Flesh Tearers respects this man.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I do love Lucifer from Sandman, properly my favourite angel in fiction. Castiel and most of the other angels from Supernatural were great until they became disappointments.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OaGXVeM.png

the angels in the Shin Megami Tensei games are terrifying hardasses that will disintegrate you in light for even the slightest infraction lol

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
man, i was all excited to post about all the cool angels i knew, and then... yeah, man, what a dearth of cool angels in fiction!

i do think, at least in recent years, the angels from Darksiders are really fuckin' cool and i kind of hope that the franchise gets a fourth entry and - more importantly - some spin-offs where we get to play as an angel.

most of the suggestions here are also pretty rad but i do want to give another shout-out to SMT. a really good example of making angels weird and horrifying again. also, of course, you can play El-Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, which is not necessarily a good game, but certainly a pretty one and the angels are really great.

also, while i wont say its necessarily objectively good, id be remiss if i didnt mention one of my childhood favorite pieces of angelic media - Kaori Yuki's Angel Sanctuary. a shoujo manga with a whole host of angelic and demonic characters that im still kind of in love with.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
All in Shin Megami Tensei.

They have some really great designs and are generally pretty creepy/terrifying.

Oct 27, 2017
The only one I can think of right now is Tyrael from DIABLO

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Tyrael

The one true rival/archnemeis of Diablo himself and ostensibly the guardian of Sanctuary, and mentor for the Nephelim.

So who are some others like this guy below? And what makes them so cool/badass?

tyrael_by_carrieli-d4p6wqj.png

Too bad Tyrael isn't an angel anymore...

My pick is also technically not an angel but hes badass nonetheless:

8ac51af28e1128d1d6322ae6534d9d1a.jpg

Its Credo Angelo from DMC4. Too bad hes one of the few bosses that appear only once.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
Don't you dare read manga in front of Merkabah.

Personally I love the weird papercraft Gaga thing Mastema's got going on:
afct6.jpg

he's the first one that popped to mind. i love the original four (Gabriel, Michael, Uriel, Raphael) but among the more recent entries in the franchise, Mastema stands out for me. really dig him.
Too bad Tyrael isn't an angel anymore...

My pick is also technically not an angel but hes badass nonetheless:

8ac51af28e1128d1d6322ae6534d9d1a.jpg

Its Credo Angelo from DMC4. Too bad hes one of the few bosses that appear only once.

god, what a fantastic design.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I was gonna post Walken as the Archangel 'Fucking Monkeys' Gabriel, and Michael and Gabriel from Legion, but beaten to it.

The Nephilim from Noah sort of count too, since they're half-angel, half-human.

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of angels depicted as eldritch abominations or non-euclidean shapes. Ramiel is so cool. I just love the whole concept. Angels can look so much cooler than how they're usually depicted. The original religious art depicted angels as something really otherworldly. I really like the depiction of Ophanim as wheels within wheels of fire, lined with eyes.

10253910_1054284154644078_3871479107546240559_n.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I just remembered theres a whole game full of unusual angels and I have favorite there:

latest

Fortitudo, the Virtue of Fortitude from Bayonetta. It's a two headed dragon with a fucking upside down head as a torso. What's not to like here?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Bayonetta has some cool angels.

Fortitudo:

latest

Inspired:

latest

Also one of the best final bosses:

giphy.gif

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Seconding the angels from Kill Six Billion Demons. They are exactly what this thread is about.

I will also throw out one I haven't heard, which is Uriel from the Dresden Files. Not visually intimidating (he first shows up as... a hospital janitor), but he makes subtle shows of his ridiculous strength throughout the series. Spoilers from later in the books:

He is bound pretty heavily by the rules that apply to angels, so when he gets the chance to act on his own (even if it is just to deliver seven words of advice) he can really make it count. He offhand mentions that he can destroy galaxies, should this be required in the course of his job.

Also from the same series (very late spoiler):

Uriel implies that Dresden's dog Mouse is angelic in nature, calling him "little brother.". Mouse is much more hands (well, teeth-and-paws) on in his badassery; he can tank bullets and is apparently scary to the troop of fallen angels that Dresden and his friends tangle with throughout the series. He is also a Very Good Boy. Everyone says so.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a big fan of angels depicted as eldritch abominations or non-euclidean shapes. Ramiel is so cool. I just love the whole concept. Angels can look so much cooler than how they're usually depicted. The original religious art depicted angels as something really otherworldly. I really like the depiction of Ophanim as wheels within wheels of fire, lined with eyes.

10253910_1054284154644078_3871479107546240559_n.jpg

Yeah, if you actually read the descriptions for the various angels mentioned in the bible you soon realize there's a reason most of them opened with "Be NOT Afraid".
Bayonetta is one of the only pieces of media I can think of that sticks to the text for inspiration.

Oct 26, 2017
I read these books as a kid. Akroma's story is so stupid.

At one point she gets swallowed by a wurm and parts of her body/ wings melt so Ixidor summons a giant magical jaguar and cuts its head off and grafts her upper body onto it making her a cat-taur. For good measure he made its feet into metal spikes though I forget why this is.

Serra was a much more important angel than Akroma. She was a one of the original Planeswalkers.

Serra made angels but wasn't actually one herself.

avacyn-angel-of-hope.jpg

Avacyn, Angel of Hope.

Lyra-Dawnbringer.jpg

Lyra, Dawnbringer.

Badass.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
Yeah, if you actually read the descriptions for the various angels mentioned in the bible you soon realize there's a reason most of them opened with "Be NOT Afraid".
Bayonetta is one of the only pieces of media I can think of that sticks to the text for inspiration.

It reminds me of a movie in which the angels were described as having three faces, one of a male, one of a female and one of a lion. Or something like that.

But there's a lot of angels in Magic the Gathering, like Iona, Shield of Emeria (she is gigantic btw):
Iona_Vault.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I love angels depicted as they are in the Bible. Unknowable. Alien. Too different for us to truly comprehend. Badass shit.

It's the main thing I love about Bayonetta. Shit, they even speak Enochian!