• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
We now have the specs for both flagships from Eurogamer, so I thought those of us who buy both and want a sense of how they'll compare for games coming to both can take a look. I checked with the mods and they said they will monitor because this discussion is not for a war over who you like and voicing your lack of interest in one ecosystem.

edit: more legible tables lol
comparison.png

I'm not an expert so I won't say much other than it seems Xbox is clearly overall more poweful, but may be priced as such. That said PS5 is strong and has some great pluses here too. As a layman, this makes me think so far that Xbox may be my third party system again.

Sources
www.eurogamer.net

Inside Xbox Series X: the full specs

This is it. After months of teaser trailers, blog posts and even the occasional leak, we can finally reveal firm, hard …

www.eurogamer.net

Inside PlayStation 5: the specs and the tech that deliver Sony's next-gen vision

Sony has broken its silence. PlayStation 5 specifications are now out in the open with system architect Mark Cerny deli…

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Series X wins in most respects, but the PS5 seems to have the better SSD.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
That CU deficit is going to be a bitch for resolution/RT. Pushing the clocks up and praying doesn't work well for AMD to date.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Seems kind of disingenious to mention max clock speed when its variable. there is no way its running at 2.23GHZ all the time. In reality its probably a 9tf machine. They just got caught with their pants down by MS. quite the reversal from 2013.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to know which will be the price of both consoles

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The PS5's SSD destroys XSX's one.
But also PS5's clocks are basically "peak performance" which is a bit ehhhh.

So basically we actually need to see both in action. DF must be salivating.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Both consoles looking great. Going to be interesting to see where Microsoft prices this in comparison to Sony.

Bigfellahull

Prophet of Truth
Mar 6, 2018
Will be interesting to see how developers make the most of each platform. Xbox with the more powerful overall machine with faster memory, CPU and GPU and PS5 with faster reads from the SSD.

Nov 11, 2017
I'm interested if the ps4 gets to 399, the ssd and heat of the console probably puts it closer to the xbox series x

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
PS5 SSD-speed seems revolutionary, honestly. Hearing Cerny explain it makes it sound mindblowing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
while the lower spec implies cheaper system, all the custom hardware tells me that this will be expensive

FlamingChibi

Jan 10, 2018
I think people are underplaying how massive of a deal the I/O speeds actually are. You will get a bigger generational jump from that than from the 1.5 flops it is lacking in the gpu

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Really eager to see game performance comparisons. The experience on Series X will likely be much nicer overall with set clocks.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
can smarter people than me that are not console warriors explain how they are going to keep the GPU cooled?

d2kx

Oct 3, 2019
Germany
The IO throughput is the one part I'm baffled by. It's so much better than the Xbox One. How did Sony manage that?

For PS5, it's just a target. You will be able to use random PCI-Express 4.0 NVMe SSDs that just happen to be this fast by the end of the year. There is absolutely nothing stopping Microsoft from shipping faster SSDs with their custom slot, but they would obviously be more expensive.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Prob go with Xbox next gen, with game pass and me spending less time playing seems like the best one and done choice.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That excitement for next gen is kicking in. Got to consolidate the funds accordingly.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty happy with both specs. They both have their strengths compared to the other, but they're not terribly far off either, so I don't think we'll see a repeat of the Xbox One vs PS4.