• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 20941

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess we're just going to have to wait and see how the systems actually stacks up. If The Last of Us 2 gets delayed I really want to play it on the PS5. However, Cernys quote regarding the clock has me worried that it won't be that close power wise compared to the Series X.

"...and we expect the GPU to spend most of its time at or close to that frequency...

Could mean anything really.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that frustrates me is people that push how xsx will have better graphics because of more TF, yet simultaneously dismiss the faster SSD in PS5 saying devs will just develop on the lower common denominator of xsx.

So devs will make adjustments for increasing resolution etc but won't make any adjustments for being able to access gigabytes more data per second?

Multiplayer devs won't design their gameplay, at a fundamental level, around having access to Sony's SSD speeds, because a large portion of their playerbase won't have SSDs that fast.

Graphics, on the other hand, are a more variable part of development and can more easily be tuned up or down depending on the hardware.

Its sony's first party that will really get an opportunity to show what their SSD can do. I'm really curious to see how they change the game - because XSX storage and memory solution is no slouch and will be the baseline for developers newfound freedom.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of fascinating details, thanks P40L0. Comments about Sony still trying to figure out heating and build is a bit concerning. Wonder if they launch this year.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting comments from someone in the Dev industry in comments section in the latest TheVerge article on PS5 v Xbox XS Link to the article:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/18/...ries-x-comparison-specs-features-release-date

He says Xbox XSX is more powerful and easier to develop for, and Microsoft caught Sony off guard with their initial announcement and they have been scrambling ever since.

Link to the user so you don't have to trawl though hundreds of comments:

https://www.theverge.com/users/JR78#activity

Some extracts:

Did you see my post? :p

OK which ERA user is JR78?

www.theverge.com

PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: a complicated battle of SSD and GPU speeds

Game developers will demonstrate the real power of both consoles

See comments

Thanks for actually pulling the quotes though

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Did you see my post? :p

Thanks for actually pulling the quotes though
Nope, someone reported this on Reddit, and I reported this here adding the quotes in chronological order (just in case).

Of course this may not be the absolute truth, but it's really interesting to read and give another perspective compared to 1st party devs reactions only.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Do we know what the typical random read speed will be of the XSX and PS5 SSDs? I realise the numbers given for each will be best case scenario for sequential read.

In particular I'm intrigued to know how they compare to the Sabrent Rocket PCIe 4.0 SSD which has 5GB/s sequential read speed. That's the cheapest Gen4 SSD available (£130 for 1tb). Or the Intel Optane which has slower sequential read, but very high random read compared to all other current SSDs.

Aug 26, 2018
Looking back at the PS5 reveal, I definitely get the feeling that SSD was a design focus from very early on when they thought of next gen and having RDNA2, latest GDDR6 RAM.

In terms of CU & higher clocks, I definitely don't think they meant to push it that far (2.23 Ghz) but had to react to the XSX Specs when they found out in late 2019. While the CPU side seems well balanced, they need a very good cooling solution which Cerny did not speak about. All we know is it will be at peak running clocks but some devs might have to focus on throttling CPU/GPU by about 10% in very certain cases when its needed.

Wonder how they are going to do it with cooling, maybe slight design modification could be on the table.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Do we know what the typical random read speed will be of the XSX and PS5 SSDs? I realise the numbers given for each will be best case scenario for sequential read.

In particular I'm intrigued to know how they compare to the Sabrent Rocket PCIe 4.0 SSD which has 5GB/s sequential read speed. That's the cheapest Gen4 SSD available (£130 for 1tb). Or the Intel Optane which has slower sequential read, but very high random read compared to all other current SSDs.
I don't think so, but there is a new line of PCIE 4.0 NVME's coming Q2/3 this year with new controllers, they can reach up to 7gb's & won't be ridiculously expensive, Sony is more in line with these ones coupled with their compression tech, while SX seems a bit slow honestly, is it even a PCIE4.0 NVME? im not sure if we know that either.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I don't think so, but there is a new line of PCIE 4.0 NVME's coming Q2/3 this year with new controllers, they can reach up to 7gb's & won't be ridiculously expensive, Sony is more in line with these ones coupled with their compression tech, while SX seems a bit slow honestly, is it even a PCIE4.0 NVME? im not sure if we know that either.
Interesting as PCIE4.0 will be my next PC upgrade along with the 3080Ti. Do we know if there will be Intel motherboards that will support PCIE4.0 or am I going to have no choice but to replace my i9-9900k to get PCIE4.0?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Interesting as PCIE4.0 will be my next PC upgrade along with the 3080Ti. Do we know if there will be Intel motherboards that will support PCIE4.0 or am I going to have no choice but to replace my i9-9900k to get PCIE4.0?
Intel have been quiet about comet lake-s supporting pcie 4.0 & the leaks say it won't, it might be a better idea to wait for Ryzen 3, the 4700x will likely be 12 cores too.

jordancondi

Mar 16, 2020
As a 3d artist, both systems are extremely fast and very capable. But I am especially interested in PS5's 5.5gb/s NVMe m.2 drive. Nothing like it. It is simply revolutionary.

Xbox was also a surprise with the 3.8ghz CPU, 550gb/s bandwidth of which 10gb dedicated to RDNA 2.0 GPU and the GPU itself.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting comments from someone in the Dev industry in comments section in the latest TheVerge article on PS5 v Xbox XS Link to the article:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/18/...ries-x-comparison-specs-features-release-date

He says Xbox XSX is more powerful and easier to develop for, and Microsoft caught Sony off guard with their initial announcement and they have been scrambling ever since.

Some extracts:

Now this is interesting, I wonder if anyone can refute this claim?

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

Some extracts:

That's really interesting!! MS killed it with the engineering of XSX

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
This is just so easy.
Xbox at launch for me.
I will keep using my gamepass sub and have a better experience on the multi platform games because of the Xbox superior hardware.
Later down the line I can get a ps5 cheap and used just for those 5 or 6 good exclusives.
The rest of the hundreds of games I'll play during the gen will play better on the Xbox.

and to everyone that says Ps5 is day one because of exclusives...
Ps4 launched in 2013.
For me the best exclusives are Uncharted 4, lost legacy, horizon, god of war, spider man and days gone.
The first one launched in 2016...

Osaragi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There is a difference between these two machines - no doubt. But it is very modest in comparison to last gen. Also this time is a little different, because last gen we had very underwheling systems. This time around we actually have systems that are quite capable. Just the jump fron X1 to PS5 is very big. Yes the XSX has the edge in more areas over PS5 than PS5 has over XSX, but both systems are very strong. Last time around even the PS4 - the stronger of the two - was somewhat underwhelming so the gap between both systems was much more worse than it will be next gen.

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
This is just so easy.
Xbox at launch for me.
I will keep using my gamepass sub and have a better experience on the multi platform games because of the Xbox superior hardware.
Later down the line I can get a ps5 cheap and used just for those 5 or 6 good exclusives.
The rest of the hundreds of games I'll play during the gen will play better on the Xbox.

Ps4 launched in 2013.
For me the best exclusives are Uncharted 4, lost legacy, horizon, god of war, spider man and days gone.
GG and Japan studio had a launch title on PS4 and SP a launch window title. Granted all three games were mediocre to bad (imo), but somehow Sony studios all learned how to polish their games and are now making mostly good to great games. So it's very likely you'll have your 86+ MC action adventure game within the first three months instead of the first three years.

For me, after getting back to PC gaming, I am completely unexcited by playing anything with a crosshair using joysticks. Sony, support KB+Mouse or use gyro aim which was so great on Vita. At least, on VR we will have proper controls and that's what I'm looking forward to.

If XSX supports KB+Mouse I'll also consider that instead of upgrading my PC in 2-3 years.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Will Sony be adopting virtualistion for PS5? Because if they don't then surely multi-suspend/resume isn't possible?

Suspend on PS4 and Xbox One simply works by keeping the RAM state 'alive' of the entire console by keeping low power running to it.

But multi-suspend/resume doesn't work like that. It needs to cache only the game state (ie not the entire console state) to the SSD. To do this, each game instance needs to be running in its own virtualised container.

But currently only Xbox runs games in virtualised containers - hence why BC is so easy for MS, and multi-suspend/resume is possible. So I wonder whether Sony will finally be moving towards virtualisation for PS5 in order to also provide this functionality, which would be a major shift for them.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
From Cerny's presentation and those tweets by Jason Schrier, I get the feeling that while the Series X will be the more powerful machine, the PS5 will be the bigger generational leap so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony first parties are able to show off how much the raw specs really do not matter as much as people around here think.

All just my interpretation obviously. Sony could end up having to release a PS5 Pro in 2023 for all I know.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
GG and Japan studio had a launch title on PS4 and SP a launch window title. Granted all three games were mediocre to bad (imo), but somehow Sony studios all learned how to polish their games and are now making mostly good to great games. So it's very likely you'll have your 86+ MC action adventure game within the first three months instead of the first three years.

For me, after getting back to PC gaming, I am completely unexcited by playing anything with a crosshair using joysticks. Sony, support KB+Mouse or use gyro aim which was so great on Vita. At least, on VR we will have proper controls and that's what I'm looking forward to.

If XSX supports KB+Mouse I'll also consider that instead of upgrading my PC in 2-3 years.

If the box gets support from Strategy devs via KB + Mouse that would be amazing. The console can certainly keep up with the demands of these games now.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Will Sony be adopting virtualistion for PS5? Because if they don't then surely multi-suspend/resume isn't possible?

Suspend on PS4 and Xbox One simply works by keeping the RAM state 'alive' of the entire console by keeping low power running to it.

But multi-suspend/resume doesn't work like that. It needs to cache only the game state (ie not the entire console state) to the SSD. To do this, each game instance needs to be running in its own virtualised container.

It's a good question - but OS and game memory is sandboxed from each other with or without using a VM, is already sandboxed on PS4 for example. So I'm not sure isolating the game RAM data would be impossible without a VM. They could well introduce a VM though.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017

Some extracts:
Interesting comments.
Will know for sure if his conjectures are right once XSEX and PS5 will launch later this year (or early next year).
From the looks of it this time around Microsoft has the most powerful console.

Deto

Banned
Feb 13, 2018

Some extracts:

That's really interesting!! MS killed it with the engineering of XSX

=========

Decide to read all:

Sony is not that great at cooling.

narrative of an average xbox fanboy

We also don't know how well cooled the SSD is on the PS5. MS explained their cooling and how their SSD solution can basically run a constant storage bandwidth. "

"did they do it so they could just get storage to match what the we will see in the XSX because they did not or could not engineer a solution for cooling?

So it is not only TF with fake clock, the SSD is also fake?

The RAM that matters in the Xbox is far superior and will allow for faster throughput and less wasted cycles

unified poll <<< split pool?

336 > 448?

answer: 560 > 448 > 336

The one advantage the PS5 has, the I/O, may not be one if they can't cool the drive

anoter fake clock?

PS5 is fake box hahahaah

It seems that Microsoft engineering came to the conclusion that a PC m.2 drive may not be optimal for predictable sustained performance. They also may have concluded the PCIe 4.0 will run too hot. m.2 SSDs in high performance laptops and desktops cannot sustain transfer due to heat without some massive mod.

m.2 and PCIe 4.0 sucks.

I know from devs that have the kits that they feel the Xbox is easier to optimize and they feel games will look and feel much better on the Xbox upon release because it will take time to optimize for PS5 and figure it out.

I've been told it is not as bad as what happened with the PS3, but somewhat similar. The Xbox 360 was much more straightforward while the architecture for the PS3 was not.

almost as difficult to program as the PS3 LOL

LOL

I read everything, and it looked like I was reading a text from misterxmedia in 2013:

- All the advantages of PS5 are bad and fake

- Absolutely everything on the PS5 is bad, even what nobody compared or talk

Last edited:

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017

Some extracts:
Sounds very bad for the PS5, it paints a very bad picture for the console when it comes to third party development. Wonder if this is legit.

Edit:
Oh yeah and I almost forgot: Interesting.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I think they both used their price goals in very different ways. Similiar to how the power of the series x will be expensive, the SSD in the ps5 will also be extremely expensive
Lol no. The two boxes both have super high-end hardware and likely will cost the same. The TF count alone doesn't tell the whole story.
I can't imagine all of ps4s customizations will come cheap. I bet they target a similar price and just used their budgets a bit differently.

I'll elaborate, the impression I got from XSX is that Microsoft were kinda "relaxed" with the specs they put, and their message always was a "powerful" device in the time after the XB1. But regarding PS5 I got the impression that Sony tried to squeeze every bit of performance from as low as they can, otherwise if they didn't target a reasonably cheaper device, they could hv gone with more relaxed specs.

And for that custom SSD i don't think it will be highly expensive than the one based on. I mean the tech is done by themselves not a third party

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I'll elaborate, the impression I got from XSX is that Microsoft were kinda "relaxed" with the specs they put, and their message always was a "powerful" device in the time after the XB1. But regarding PS5 I got the impression that Sony tried to squeeze every bit of performance from as low as they can, otherwise if they didn't target a reasonably cheaper device, they could hv gone with more relaxed specs.

And for that custom SSD i don't think it will be highly expensive than the one based on. I mean the tech is done by themselves not a third party

They came up with the solution themselves, but that doesn't mean that the parts and components to source that solution won't come from outside. Without a doubt, the reason the PS5 SSD is so small is because of how much it costs to get the performance they want.

I don't think either party is "relaxed". They've both done some pretty interesting things to make these systems punch up.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
twitter.com

Richard Geldreich on Twitter

“@JamesStanard Can you talk about BCPack more in public yet? Sony is getting a ton of good response from the gaming public about putting Kraken in hardware. You guys need to talk more about BCPack! https://t.co/o2BhtKZ81C”

twitter.com

“Gamers comparing Xbox Series X vs. PS5 aren't factoring in Microsoft's dark horse: BCPack. We don't have any real details yet, but it's possible that BCPack will be stronger than RDO BCx encoding+Kraken compression.”

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
twitter.com

“@JamesStanard Can you talk about BCPack more in public yet? Sony is getting a ton of good response from the gaming public about putting Kraken in hardware. You guys need to talk more about BCPack! https://t.co/o2BhtKZ81C”

twitter.com

“Gamers comparing Xbox Series X vs. PS5 aren't factoring in Microsoft's dark horse: BCPack. We don't have any real details yet, but it's possible that BCPack will be stronger than RDO BCx encoding+Kraken compression.”
While awaiting MS' communications about it, can someone tell me what BCPack brings to the table?

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
They came up with the solution themselves, but that doesn't mean that the parts and components to source that solution won't come from outside. Without a doubt, the reason the PS5 SSD is so small is because of how much it costs to get the performance they want.

I don't think either party is "relaxed". They've both done some pretty interesting things to make these systems punch up.

Do you think Microsoft should have gone with more numbers? I didn't read any comment wanted that.
Do you think Sony should too? Yea like a lot questions Ned their small number choices.
Moreover, the whole idea that CPU and GPU are both locked on XBX and capped on PS5 makes everyone wonders how hot the PS5 will run

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I was almost worried the baseless speculation would stop once Sony revealed the specs.

It just scattered into several minithreads.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Do you think Microsoft should have gone with more numbers? I didn't read any comment wanted that.
Do you think Sony should too? Yea like a lot questions Ned their small number choices.
Moreover, the whole idea that CPU and GPU are both locked on XBX and capped on PS5 makes everyone wonders how hot the PS5 will run

I mean...Sony took an approach where they cool the system based on the "worst" scenario being the normal power draw and it only decreases power consumption by marginal amounts rather than boosting speeds and potentially overheating. That doesn't mean Sony's cooling solution will be perfect, but based on the design paradigm they went with I think it's reasonable to be confident in their cooling.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019

Some extracts:
tomwarren was right. They did catch them off guard. Good stuff Tom.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017

Some extracts:
Goodness, it sounds like Microsoft absolutely demolished Sony. Guess they finally woke up the sleeping giant.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
I Love it how several people are suddenly experts again after reading some specs in 5 mins, while it took thousands of people and engineers for a few years to make these machines. Both consoles will be awesome and both will have great games and services. Mmmkay? :)

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Right now it's tough to judge because we haven't seen any software.

I think both parties are doing some really interesting things with the hardware. I think MS has done a better job explaining all the systems at play within the XSX, but i think Sony will deliver as well.

That said NONE of this sounded cheap. I think Sony cut costs on the APU and RAM because they feel they can make it up with their novel, but surely expensive take on the SSD. Who knows how they'll cool the thing? Maybe that's why they have not shown what it looks like...

MS hardware is more straightforward, but it seems like they've done a lot of work behind the scenes help dev's squeeze the most out of it.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
There is a difference between these two machines - no doubt. But it is very modest in comparison to last gen. Also this time is a little different, because last gen we had very underwheling systems. This time around we actually have systems that are quite capable. Just the jump fron X1 to PS5 is very big. Yes the XSX has the edge in more areas over PS5 than PS5 has over XSX, but both systems are very strong. Last time around even the PS4 - the stronger of the two - was somewhat underwhelming so the gap between both systems was much more worse than it will be next gen.

I'm waiting to hear what developers who have their hands on both have to say.

PS5 is in an interesting place with the faster SSD.

I'm interested in specifically the throttles. They're pushing the PS5 hard. Developers are gonna need to choose GPU or CPU and throttle accordingly. How big of an issue will this be for game development when making games that are on XSX also?

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
With both PS5 and XSX having dedicated audio chips, and espiecially with excellent presentation on Sony part, what do you think about this early John Carmack take ?

I think it shows that some developers neglect audio (Cenry also said that he met very few audio engineers while touring game studios) and even people with ridiculous levels of tech know how like John Carmack are ignorant in this regard

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
tomwarren was right. They did catch them off guard. Good stuff Tom.
Goodness, it sounds like Microsoft absolutely demolished Sony. Guess they finally woke up the sleeping giant.

Is this like a satire on the other comments that are taking what this person says as gospel or basically choosing to believe an anonymous commenter who talks about speculations as fact?
But he said he was a tech guy so he must be legit, right?

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
Is this like a satire on the other comments that are taking what this person says as gospel or basically choosing to believe an anonymous commenter who talks about speculations as fact?
But he said he was a tech guy so he must be legit, right?
Not sure why you're so upset. tomwarren either posted here or tweeted out that MS is looking to catch Sony off guard. Seems like by that JR post, they just might of done that. Don't need to be upset about it. I was just giving Tom props for being right.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
Would it have been better is Sony released PS5 one year ago with 9.2TF no BC and no variable clocks etc normal cooling?

And they said Ps4 BC is underway?

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure why you're so upset. tomwarren either posted here or tweeted out that MS is looking to catch Sony off guard. Seems like by that JR post, they just might of done that. Don't need to be upset about it. I was just giving Tom props for being right.
I think he is just surprised you are taking the post seriously, given it's taken from a comment section of an article and is completely unverified.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
i honest cant believe some of you all are really taking that comment as gospel. you all are getting specfished lol. its ridiculous how bad confirmation bias has gotten where if someone gives you what you want to hear its gospel with no face to the claims.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This is just so easy.
Xbox at launch for me.

Ps4 launched in 2013.
Yeah, I got the PS4 last time around to start. It felt lie forever before I got an exclusive I cared about.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017

My issue isn't with what Tom said, it's by taking a commenter with no accountability seriously that also downplays everything one side does and bigs up the other side. It's as bad as that image where the dude said 20% of a GPU is taken up by audio and so the PS5 will clearly be superior because of their audio chip, while conveniently leaving out that the Xbox has one too.

I think he is just surprised you are taking the post seriously, given it's taken from a comment section of an article and is completely unverified.
Basically.

Well I'm just one random person. I don't matter much. Didn't know it would irk anyone what I thought. Lol. I was just trying to give a shoutout to Tom.

My aggravation isn't at you it's at anonymous commenters who spin stuff, so apologies that I directed it at you. Political Tory spin online has hit me hard and now I'm just suspicious of what anyone says, even more so if they can't be traced to a person.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Microsoft surprised Sony, but I do think that Sony was stuck in a less than ideal situation. They needed 36CUs for BC, but they wanted to get the highest TF number possible. So now the PS5 has variable clocks on both the gpu and cpu, which is undoubtedly less preferable to what Microsoft has.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yeah, I got the PS4 last time around to start. It felt lie forever before I got an exclusive I cared about.

Yep, and we may get a repeat since Sony is releasing some heavy hitters for the end of this generation so who knows when the exclusives for PS5 will come. The 15 studios MS acquired may finally be ready to begin rolling out their work over the next couple of years giving Game Pass even more of a ridiculous offering. But first, we get Halo, and I hope it's great!