• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone was way bigger than anyone thought it would be too. Era is a bubble. 'People' aren't sick of open worlds at all.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
But let's talk about Ghost of Tsushima, which has been a critical delight and certainly a commercial delight to an extent that we didn't think it would be. That speaks volumes to the work that Sucker Punch has done to build on their previous canon of work.
www.gamesindustry.biz

PlayStation CEO Jim Ryan on making PS5 more successful than PS4

Over the past few weeks, PlayStation head Jim Ryan has received more than his usual share of emails.From the moment PS5…

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Not just them. A lot of people didn't think it'd be as good or do as well as it did.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, I think the general sentiment was that it'd perform fine sales-wise, but no one expected it to go beyond that. I have my issues with the game, but can't deny its success.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Its quite comfortably my game of the year so far, really happy to hear its doing well - Sucker Punch have deserved a lot more success commercially than they were getting. They're games are just straight up fun.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
i'm excited to pick it up this winter at some point. I'm glad I played TLoU P2 at launch, but I decided I'd rather wait on any other big games on playstation until I have something that doesn't sound like a jet.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I mean some people thought the same about Spider-Man too. It's the same with every first party game from PS and MS.

Sure, but we're talking a Samurai game set in Japan by Sucker Punch who aren't as prestige as Naughty Dog, releasing just after TLOU2. A lot of people were overlooking GoT.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
It's always nice to see when a new IP turns out to be a commercial and a critical success, especially after rather long development cycle.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Looking forward to giving this game a try as soon as they release a PS5 patch for it. 60 fps would be nice.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
well i am mostly tired of open world,
but they nailed the core combat down for this one. setting was a bliss to traverse too.
so all the repetition didn't feel like chore.
kind of similar to spiderman in a sense.
now that they have core mechanics in place, i expect much more varied gameplay from both sequels.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
"A lot of this comes down to the stickiness and tribal nature of the community that we create"
"And it's an engaged, tribal, networked community, who will be deeply and profoundly engaged with their PlayStation 5, we hope, from a very early moment. "

jim is basically calling us all out as fanboys lol

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
well i am mostly tired of open world,
but they nailed the core combat down for this one. setting was a bliss to traverse too.
so all the repetition didn't feel like chore.
kind of similar to spiderman in a sense.
now that they have core mechanics in place, i expect much more varied gameplay from both sequels.
I agree with this completely. It's like they took the Ubisoft format and made it actually fun and not make it feel like a job.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
You would think people would have learned by now not to underestimate Sony first party.

Jim Ryan to his doubters:

tenor.gif

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
the only people who are sick of open worlds are those who don't like them in the first place
Pretty much this. Open worlds are better than ever and with the introduction of and adoption of meaningful content as opposed to checkpoint/blips/etc., I can't imagine anyone who liked them in the first place saying, "This trend needs to end."

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I still can't believe Sony managed to release TLOU2 and this one less than a month apart.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I still think it's insane to think about Sony's output this year. Beginning with Dreams and Final Fantasy VII Remake, which are both amazing games received very well. (And technically Persona 5 Royal too, which launched WW this year) followed by a summer with Last of Us Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima...

And we're still getting Spider-Man Miles Morales, Demon's Souls and Sackboy A Big Adventure.

It's an absolutely amazing year, and honestly, they (COULD) have the majority of the nominations in the GOTY category this year which is crazy to think about.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Good game selling well. You love to see it.

the only people who are sick of open worlds are those who don't like them in the first place

I don't know that that's true. I've liked open world games going back to like GTA3, but there are too many these days. I find I can play maybe 1-2 of them a year.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony first party have reached a status where people just give them the benefit of the doubt. The AAA games they put out have essentially reached blind buy status for me, and I'm sure many others, this generation in a way they never were before.

Really curious to see how this gen goes for them. The big sequels are much more frontloaded than I expected, so 2022 and beyond are huge mysteries to me.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Probably my game of the year. I wasn't a fan of the copy and paste villages and the lack of a lock-on system, but man, the sheer level of combat options were incredible and the story was extremely well-done. It doesn't hurt that the game was extremely gorgeous, character models weren't great but the backgrounds and scenery were *pizza chef*.

It's between this and Hades tbh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Nah. I own a ton of open world games and I'm so bored of checklisty open world design. Everything feels like a variant of Ubisoft Game nowadays. Some games handle it better than others, but for the most part I'm burned out on spending dozens of hours by myself in an oversized world riding a horse around looking for actual stuff to do.

I miss when we had gameplay-first open world games like Crackdown and Just Cause 2 in ADDITION to the "scale scale scale look at our hardware power look how much CONTENT we can fit on a disc" open world games.

Nov 21, 2019
With me playing Legends nonstop as well, it's insane how much fun content you get from the game. If not GOTY, I would say this is my best purchase for price-to-content ratio this year. Legends alone have so much potential and I hope they'll keep expanding it.

Oct 27, 2017
Really great IMO especially for a new IP in a historical setting with an Asian lead character. Loved it and still need to get the platinum.

hoping for a sequel on ps5.