Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022
www.gamesindustry.biz

PlayStation full-year revenues rise to $27.5 billion but narrowly misses PS5 sales target

Sony has released its full-year financial results, showing a solid twelve months for its PlayStation business ahead of …

The numbers

Full-year (12 months ended March 31, 2024)
  • Game & Network Services net sales: ¥4.3 trillion ($27.5 billion, up 17%)
  • Game & Network Services operating income: ¥290.2 billion ($1.9 billion, up 16%)

Q4 (3 months ended March 31, 2024)
  • Game & Network Services net sales: ¥1.1 trillion ($7.03 billion, up 2.2%)
  • Game & Network Services operating income: ¥135.8 billion ($868 million, up 172.5%)

The highlights

Breaking down the full-year results for its G&NS division, Sony reported software sales of ¥2.2 trillion ($14.1 billion, up 24% year-on-year), of which digital software and add-ons accounted for ¥1.9 trillion ($12.1 billion, up 27%).

The platform holder said 286.4 million games were sold for PS5 during the course of the year, of which 39.7 million were first-party titles. By comparison, the previous fiscal year saw 264.2 million games sold, of which 43.5 million were first-party.
Hardware revenues saw a 9% boost at ¥1.7 trillion ($10.9 billion), which there was decent growth in revenue from network services — including PlayStation Plus — at ¥545.5 billion ($3.5 million, up 17%).

There were 118 million active PSN users at the end of Q4 (three months ended March 31, 2024) — down from the 123 million reported at the end of Q3 but up from 108 million marked at the same time last year.
PlayStation's forecast for the new financial year reaffirmed the company's previously stated expectation of a decrease in hardware sales, but this will also deliver a decrease in hardware losses.

The platform holder expects an increase in non-first-party sales and a decrease in first-party, due in no small part to the fact there will be no new entries from PlayStation's blockbuster franchises until the following fiscal year.

The forecast also predicts an increase in sales from network services, mainly PlayStation Plus as Sony grows its subscription service.

The forecast

FY24 (12 months ended March 31, 2025)
  • Game & Network Services net sales: ¥4.2 trillion ($26.8 billion, down 1.5%)
  • Game & Network Services operating income: ¥310 billion ($2 billion, up 6.8%)
EDIT:

View: https://twitter.com/DomsPlaying/status/1790328335886651693

View: https://twitter.com/DomsPlaying/status/1790333470587191769

Last edited:

Granjinhaa

Dec 28, 2023
i thought they would have an increase in HW sales (and their outlook) thanks to the PS5 Pro. Anyway, fantastic results all around.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Yeah people focus on the Q4 comparison year on year decline but the whole FY shows hardware being up 8.9%. A strong year for Sony but they will have challenges with the price this FY I feel.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah people focus on the Q4 comparison year on year decline but the whole FY shows hardware being up 8.9%. A strong year for Sony but they will have challenges with the price this FY I feel.

Yeah they really need a price cut .
The fact that the console doing this well still without one ( after they raise price lol ) is impressive .

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
A ton of those gains are 4X driven, says it right in the report. Sony are in the fortuitous position of being a Japanese company that does it's business primarily in exports, and the yen being in the shitter actually helps their earnings a lot.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah prob will see a holiday discount maybe or they keep prices the same. If they are forecasting 14% less than this years results might say they are okay with that since Hardware revenue can stay at their prices atm.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised Sony managed to stay ahead of the combined Acti-Blizzard and Xbox in terms of revenue. I thought they would knock PlayStation down a bit. PlayStation still ahead at least for now.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So why did they fire people again?
If I said I was gonna give you 25 million dollars, then I pivoted to say "uhh actually only 21 million", and then I gave you 20.8 million, you'd probably be pretty annoyed. 20.8 million is still a lot of money, but if you planned your year based upon getting 25 million, your gonna have to make some cuts. It's not about making money, it's about making ALL of the money.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
What about the MARGINS?
michael-clarke-duncan-dont-you-put-that-evil-on-me.png

But yeah, some good results all around.

Celestial Descend

Corrupted by Vengeance
Aug 15, 2022
Am I drunk or this is all pretty good numbers? When the layoff news and the leak was going on, I was under the impression that SIE's finance was in some sort of crisis.

Copilot

Jun 27, 2023
Almost half of Playstation FY profit was made on 4th quarter. Should be mainly driven by Helldivers 2.

gamewhoopr

Dec 10, 2018
Am I drunk or this is all pretty good numbers? When the layoff news and the leak was going on, I was under the impression that SIE's finance was in some sort of crisis.

PS5 numbers have never been anywhere near dire, but they're trending behind PS4 and profit margins haven't been great. Sony originally expected to sell 25 million PS5s in the last year. That was then revised down to 21 million, which they still missed. Numbers on the whole are good, but people may have to look at other factors to paint the whole picture.

For example, the sales numbers are great considering there's been no official price drop across the board. But then we have to look at… why hasn't there been a price drop? That's largely due to thin profit margins, which is due to ballooning licensing, development costs, etc.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
So why did they fire people again?

Short-sighted cost cutting measures to increase overall profitability in the short term.

It's stupid.

SIE needs more devs, not less. Everytime they have a down Quarter, it's usually because of the lack of major first party releases. So they actually need to increase the development capacity and not do the opposite for short-term gains.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
Are there any Ps Plus extra/premium sub numbers?

Last update was 47.4M for all of PS+ subscribers at end of March 2023. They stated they're not reporting numbers since then but given the numbers have hovered around 45-48M since 2020 they're probably still around that figure. Extra (6.1M) and Premium (8M) subs were around 30% of that 47.4M back in early 2023.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Short-sighted cost cutting measures to increase overall profitability in the short term.

It's stupid.

SIE needs more devs, not less. Everytime they have a down Quarter, it's usually because of the lack of major first party releases. So they actually need to increase the development capacity and not do the opposite for short-term gains.
that's the main reason for having 300+ studios though. there is also a truth to games being way too overambitious, especially at Sony.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
... Sony reported software sales of ¥2.2 trillion ($14.1 billion, up 24% year-on-year), of which digital software and add-ons accounted for ¥1.9 trillion ($12.1 billion, up 27%).
The platform holder said 286.4 million games were sold for PS5 during the course of the year, of which 39.7 million were first-party titles. ...

I don't see day and date SIE blockbuster releases on Steam or other consoles looking at the importance of their digital store ecosystem.
Of course the strategy for GAAS day and date multiplatform releases is set.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It would be great if they could achieve these results without firing a bunch of people.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Great numbers overall, pretty crazy to see PS5 selling almost 21 million in the FY while the price is still that high (not only there hasn't been a pricecut, but the actual price remains even higher than launch lol)

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021