• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
every time I see stuff on the recent Spyro and Crash stuff and then sales on it on how people mostly buy said titles on the PS platform
I also feel that Sony screwed up BIG TIME by not buying the rights to the Spyro and Crash franchises

nostalgia was with the original games but even now the remakes tossed away Sony having that advantage (as people can play the remakes instead of the originals... of course the originals still have some merit/use though for big fans)

I know that "buying" said IPs would've been ridiculously costly and is just a pipe dream since even before the revival of Crash and its current success I remember hearing that trying to add crash into PSABR was too costly due to Activision asking for a large sum of money just for him to be in said game.

But nevertheless one could dream. People still associate the two brands with PS. Other titles don't have that extreme connection as much as those two. Sony really doesn't need to buy studios beyond trying to protect their interest if said studio was going to be bought anyway by a competitor. They can even hire certain game devs to try and make genres that they lack in and build up from there but the spot is always empty in their massive rooster or feel incomplete without Spyro and Crash being there.

rant over... lol I hope they give more budget to the next AstroBot

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
every time I see stuff on the recent Spyro and Crash stuff and then sales on it on how people mostly buy said titles on the PS platform
I also feel that Sony screwed up BIG TIME by not buying the rights to the Spyro and Crash franchises

nostalgia was with the original games but even now the remakes tossed away Sony having that advantage (as people can play the remakes instead of the originals... of course the originals still have some merit/use though for big fans)

I know that "buying" said IPs would've been ridiculously costly and is just a pipe dream since even before the revival of Crash and its current success I remember hearing that trying to add crash into PSABR was too costly due to Activision asking for a large sum of money just for him to be in said game.

But nevertheless one could dream. People still associate the two brands with PS. Other titles don't have that extreme connection as much as those two. Sony really doesn't need to buy studios beyond trying to protect their interest if said studio was going to be bought anyway by a competitor. They can even hire certain game devs to try and make genres that they lack in and build up from there but the spot is always empty in their massive rooster or feel incomplete without Spyro and Crash being there.

rant over... lol I hope they give more budget to the next AstroBot
I mostly agree. But this is the remake of these beloved games released 20 years ago. Who's to say a brand new Crash game will sell this well? More importantly the one after that when the nostalgia factor is worn out?Fact is, unless Sony or Activision is committed to making Crash a true Mario platforming contender sales will like fizzle once again after the remakes. If Sony does want to do that, they have franchises to do so outside of Crash.

Er'body just scared to go head-to-head with Mario for some reason.

I d made Sony needs more Evergreen titles in the past, so I'm with ya %1000. I'm not sure why Sony didn't believe in Crash enough to secure rights or if they tried and failed (I believe they did) even so they had the rebirth of all those franchises on PS2 Jak/Sly/ratchet replaced Crash/Spyro etc...Why they are just sitting on these IP I dunno? Outside of Ratchet at least

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly agree. But this is the remake of these beloved games released 20 years ago. Who's to say a brand new Crash game will sell this well? More importantly the one after that when the nostalgia factor is worn out?Fact is, unless Sony or Activision is committed to making Crash a true Mario platforming contender sales will like fizzle once again after the remakes. If Sony does want to do that, they have franchises to do so outside of Crash.

Er'body just scared to go head-to-head with Mario for some reason.

I d made Sony needs more Evergreen titles in the past, so I'm with ya %1000. I'm not sure why Sony didn't believe in Crash enough to secure rights or if they tried and failed (I believe they did) even so they had the rebirth of all those franchises on PS2 Jak/Sly/ratchet replaced Crash/Spyro etc...Why they are just sitting on these IP I dunno? Outside of Ratchet at least

I agree but I feel if Crash had a committed future that would carry the nostalgia it would be under a Sony banner (if Sony cared)

unless of course Activision takes it seriously and gives us amazing Crash games post these remakes

sure Sony has Jak and Ratchet among others but they aren't really replacements for Crash like how Yoshi and Kirby among others aren't for Mario

it feels that Sony regardless of what characters they make, acquire and have in the future isn't complete image wise unless they have those two franchises and if they did have those two franchises they don't really need other franchises to have this "complete" image (like for example if FF was under them or Tekken among others).

not saying Sony should stop new IPs or support their other mascots I am just saying they could continuing doing that but the Crash and Spyro spot is still stuck into people's brains as a vacant seat only able to be filled by them alone (brand and image wise)

a complete family image

but it is too late now so I hope they just push new IPs mascots like Astrobot more as well as revive and push old mascots like Ape Escape, etc... and eventually after years of just that people will fade Crash and Spyro away from associating them with PlayStation (like how FF shifted away from Nintendo)

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, playing God of War on NG+ with the default gear and no upgrades is absolutely crazy. I've been stuck on the first fight for an hour now.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting article about the choices Santa Monica Studio did on the latest God of War.

Santa Monica Studio thought to go for a new protagonist in the same mythology (Greek). To be honest I am glad that they did not ended Kratos story.

Also there was a point in the development that they thought to remove Atreus from the game for resources and budget reasons.

Choices, choices. Potentially we could had a totally different God of War game.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Ghost has actually had a gameplay demonstration while Death Stranding hasn't, so I'm not surprised. I'm more surprised that they think FF7 Remake is PS4 exclusive lol. What year is it?
Play it first on PS4 is all we really got officially so we can't say what the deal in place is. What if the remake isn't coming to anything outside of PC the first year? Something like the Crash remake deal? Or it won't be released on other platforms until all parts are released? Dunno what Sony and SE worked out but there has been more PS4 only discussion since the state of play and E3.

I'm convinced it'll eventually get shipped everywhere but if the time gap is significant, the bulk of sales and overall association of the game will remain with PS.

Oct 25, 2017
Why you torture yourself like that?
tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this was somehow interesting to share, that's how SIEA describes its business to the US Administration in the joint letter about Trump's tariffs that could impact badly the price of consoles made in China.

Notably Sony talk about "six development studios" from the USA. Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, San Diego Studio, Bend Studio and Sucker Punch makes 5, the last one would be San Mateo/Pixelopus. So no reference to the upcoming new San Diego team here.

SIE is a leading innovator of interactive digital entertainment and the company responsible globally for the PlayStation brand and family of products and services, including the PlayStation video game console and the immensely popular PlayStation Network, a community of online digital entertainment consumers numbering nearly a hundred million active users worldwide, and the PlayStation Store, where SIE sells all forms of digital entertainment to consumers. Among SIE's most visionary offerings in the last five years are its virtual reality headset, PlayStation VR, and its first-to-market over-the-top (internet-based) live streaming television service, PlayStation Vue.

In 2016, Sony Corporation moved the global headquarters of Sony Interactive Entertainment from Tokyo to San Mateo, California, due to a deep commitment to invest in the United States. All aspects of the business are represented in California, including engineering, research and development, operations, sales and marketing and corporate support functions. The company has six game development studios in Washington, Oregon and California, which are focused on developing world-class games for the PlayStation consoles and which employ designers, artists, developers, producers and support staff.

Last edited:

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Thought this was somehow interesting to share, that's how SIEA describes its business to the US Administration in the joint letter about Trump's tariffs that could impact badly the price of consoles made in China.

Notably Sony talk about "six development studios" from the USA. Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, San Diego Studio, Bend Studio and Sucker Punch mades 5, the last one would be San Mateo/Pixelopus. So no reference to the upcoming new San Diego team here.
Maybe because that new San Diego team is in the same campus/area than San Diego Studio ?
The only explanation I see

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I bet many who voted for Part 2 would have Death Stranding as their second choice.Part 2 will be a juggernaut,hold yourselves.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Some positions at VASG studio, based in San Diego
Thanks for the heads up ArmGunar.

I just checked for new job listings from Sony and the result is a bit surprising to be honest.

In the last few hours Sony has 184 new job listings.

And this is for every possible position. A few examples:

Visual Arts Service Group
Senior R&D Engineer, Facial / Human Performance Capture tech
Senior Lighting Artist
Senior Materials Artist

R&D
Senior/Lead Software Engineer (Audio Researcher)
Sr. Software Engineer (C++)
Senior Staff Software Engineer

Cloud
Senior AWS Software Engineer/ Java
Sr. Cloud Security Engineer
Sr. Software Engineer (CDN)

Services
Senior Software Engineer, Backend Services
Service Reliability Engineering Manager
Principal Operations Solutions Architect – PlayStation™ Vue

Managers
Senior Account Manager (Global Third Party Relations)
Regional Manager, Global Partner Operations
Manager, Digital at Retail, Americas

eSports
Sr. Manager, Competitive Gaming (North America)
Global Content Manager (eSports)

VR
Sr Graphics & VR Software Engineer

Advertising
Senior Advertising Operations Manager - Gaming and Entertainment

Some interesting bits from the job listings:

Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC seeks a Senior Staff Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA to execute R&D for video game technologies to improve UI (user interface) and UX for next-generation game consoles and products.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer to join our growing team to augment our bandwidth at this important stage of our AWS Cloud Migration process.
SIE is looking for a talented engineer interested in pushing the limits of streaming technology. As the leaders of game streaming, the Core team is responsible for developing the protocol and technology that powers PlayStation Now.
The team behind the award-winning Gran Turismo® franchise are seeking a Social Media Manager with great communication skills, a passion for product development, an interest in automotive racing and a strong background in community management to oversee aspects of day-to-day community life.

I don't think that VASG helped on Battlefront so I assume the inclusion of Star Wars Battlefront in this description is a mistake:
If you're ready to be part of a world class team to work on AAA games titles like Uncharted, God of War, Spider-Man, Star Wars Battlefront, and push the next gen quality in games, we want to talk to you!

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

That's great to know, thanks

They seem to want MP games, imo they should go all in TLOU II MP. It can be huge

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I don't think that VASG helped on Battlefront so I assume the inclusion of Star Wars Battlefront in this description is a mistake:
I don't think it was...
Senior R&D Engineer, Facial / Human Performance Capture tech
It is not the first time either such games were referenced in job description with VASG. I don't remember where or when I read it (Twitter maybe?), but it happens sometimes that certain 3rd party companies and projects will use Sony's motion capture studio for their games.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just had a look at when PSX usually gets announced and it's usually from the end of August or end of September. We have 3 months till the hype dies.... or it explodes.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I just had a look at when PSX usually gets announced and it's usually from the end of August or end of September. We have 3 months till the hype dies.... or it explodes.

I'm starting to think that they'll skip PSX again this year. It's too close to a possible PS5 reveal event in February or March. Unless they make this year's PSX a fan-event only, without any type of media showcase and big announcements or that the PSX itself will be the PS5 reveal event (Which I very much doubt that they'll do).

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think that they'll skip PSX again this year. It's too close to a possible PS5 reveal event in February or March. Unless they make this year's PSX a fan-event only, without any type of media showcase and big announcements or that the PSX itself will be the PS5 reveal event (Which I very much doubt that they'll do).
If they skip e3 they will not have a big event in USA since e3 2018 until the reveal of the ps5/e3.
Edit: I meant ^ PSX

Last edited:

Ozorov

Oct 26, 2017
I think so too. But if they announce PSX for this year they should be very clear in their message what we can expect. No way they will announce/show the PS5 at PSX.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
PSX might get replaced with the new State of Play.

I don't mind it as long it has lots of new stuffs to show; release dates, new trailers, new games, etc.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
They will definitely be a PSX this year imo

They got TLOU Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Predator, Iron Man VR, some unannounced PS4 exclusives left + third party games like FF7 Remake and Avengers

And the most of them could be playable on booth

Without mentioning the 25 year anniversary of PlayStation, the 100m+ consoles sold through (and they may offer a game like they did during PSX 2014 for 20 year anniversary of PS1)

And they may tease a PS5 reveal for a next event or just tease the PS5 with the controller

But I could see this event as the last major PS4 event

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Regarding how PSX will work, i can see sony replacing their usual PSX stage with a big episode of state of play but still hold the playable event.

If there is one, when they usually announced it, 1-2 months prior?
there is no pattern to the announcement of PSX, happened right after E3, happened in august, happened in september etc.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Where are the new horde challenges in days gone? First time I booted it up in a while and I remember a trailer ages ago saying they were coming in June or am I remembering wrong?

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Regarding how PSX will work, i can see sony replacing their usual PSX stage with a big episode of state of play but still hold the playable event.

there is no pattern to the announcement of PSX, happened right after E3, happened in august, happened in september etc.
So fucking boring

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How did Ghost of Tsushima get more votes than Death Stranding? Colour me surprised.

Don't get me wrong, I'm personally way way more excited for GoT, but DS is a lot closer to release and is a game spearheaded by Kojima himself. I would have thought it'd get a lot more votes than that.

It's just one poll, we already have impressions that pre-orders are very high for DS compared to even past Kojima games.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How did Ghost of Tsushima get more votes than Death Stranding? Colour me surprised.

Don't get me wrong, I'm personally way way more excited for GoT, but DS is a lot closer to release and is a game spearheaded by Kojima himself. I would have thought it'd get a lot more votes than that.
DS will end up selling more than Ghost unless it reviews poorly.

Jesus Christ at that list though. 4 incredible looking games, very likely 2/4 end up being GOTG contenders

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
One thing I think Kojima has done masterfully is not shed too much light on what DS is about and also how it plays, he knows the hype is there for it simply due to his pedigree. So once the game comes out I think it's going to surprise a lot of folks on how it plays and the story itself, in this era where too much is revealed in trailers, I can respect when a creator wants to keep their work close to the chest.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the premise of Death Stranding and the concept of uniting people rather than severing ties between them but I'd love to see Kojima do a conventional story again like Zone of the Enders. Shit, I just want a spiritual successor to ZoE. Something along the lines of Left Alive but actually realized. The idea of a person fighting a guerilla war against mecha is an under utilized one.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
One thing I think Kojima has done masterfully is not shed too much light on what DS is about and also how it plays, he knows the hype is there for it simply due to his pedigree. So once the game comes out I think it's going to surprise a lot of folks on how it plays and the story itself, in this era where too much is revealed in trailers, I can respect when a creator wants to keep their work close to the chest.
Yeah as long as the gameplay is amazing and you have play testers and internal reviews saying you have something special. Keep it close to your chest. If this was someone other than Kojima I would say it's not a good idea, but he usually kills it in the gameplay department. My goodness, the amount of mechanics Snake has by MGSV is just ridiculous, I hope Sam has at least half of those, even if he isn't a soldier.

Status
Not open for further replies.