• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I think that next-gen launch games will not be pushovers. 1 or 2 could even end up in GotY discussions. But yes, TLOU2 and Cyberpunk will probably be the biggest games of the year.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Here's Until Dawn's co-lead writer Graham Reznick for Rely on Horror in 2015. I'll just quote one excerpt:

- "In UNTIL DAWN we used elements of the genre tropes and the cheesy aspects of the genre to create a specific atmosphere that's then twisted and reshaped. It's all intentional and done with a lot of care. If you hear a line that makes you laugh or cringe and you're like "Oh my god, that's ridiculous," chances are high that we thought so too!"

And this is Until Dawn's director Will Byles, during the same period:

- "Above all we are trying to entertain. Horror is a great way to do that (if you like horror), because after every scare, there is laughter. In a group it makes for a very social experience."

These are, next to Larry Fessenden, the two most important people in the development of Until Dawn, both stating that humor and parody, were creative sources behind the project. In contrast, Keiichiro Toyama had the next to say when promoting the original Silent Hill: "The second (thing) we want is to inspire the fears from a player's innermost instincts... The town is covered in fog and players won't be able to see things in the distance. That creates an atmosphere of nameless uneasiness (...), that's exactly what we want the players to feel".

Toyama didn't envision Silent Hill or Siren to make people laugh. It's an impossible proposition, one where his works are compared to the likes of Until Dawn. It is not (never said such thing) an straight comedy (though it was a full-on parody at the start, both glib and cheesy, according to Byles himself), pivoting instead on a combination of humor and tension against an slasher homage backdrop.

That is the creators' vision, by their own words, regardless of your or my opinion. If you want to rebate this, please, elaborate your answer. Saying "ok" is nothing but a way to make your disagreement known, and adds nothing to the conversation.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
For sure. It'll probably be Sony's biggest first party game in terms of sales, launch records, and reviews.

Cyberpunk 2077, I think will be the biggest game of 2020, though.
Reviews is where it's always tricky, and I only say this because GoW scored a 94 which isn't easy to beat. But then again we are talking about ND, a studio that still managed a 93 for UC4 after they had to basically scrap much of the game and redo it in 2 years.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I wonder how much spidey has sold by now? But I think Part II lands around 20-25 mil lifetime. Considering how popular the first game was, it has the potential to be a huuuge in terms of sales.

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
if we just take the sales on the ps4 platform, then i think Tlou will be the best selling Ps4 Title in the first half year, followed by Cyberpunk and Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Oct 26, 2017
TLOU2 is gonna be huge. Y'all think it'll sell better than Spiderman? Think it has a chance to tbh.

TLOU 2 is going to get pushed on PS5 with an ENHANCED UBER 4K/60FPS EDITION so yes, i see TLOU 2 selling more than SpooderMan.

if we just take the sales on the ps4 platform, then i think Tlou will be the best selling Ps4 Title in the first half year, followed by Cyberpunk and Final Fantasy 7 Remake

WW or US only?
If US only i can see MW in 3rd place easily.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
I wonder if Sony wants to get TLOU2 out before they begin PS5 marketing. The two of those are their two biggest things in 2020, and they may not want the PS4 release of TLOU2 to clash with PS5 marketing. Maybe not though, because it didn't seem to be an issue in 2013 with TLOU and PS4.

In fact, I know people that pre-ordered PS4s just based on how good TLOU was (I think pre-orders opening for PS4 and TLOU release was right around the same time). They wanted to see what else Sony had to offer. So there definitely could be some S Y N E R G Y there with the two.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
D-rRS9DUIAAeVqO.png

D-rRS9EU0AA9iw8.png

Last of Us 2
Feb 2020
Standard Edition, Special Edition, Collectors Edition, Ellie Edition
Hmmm. I have Ellie Edition of the first game, so might get this EE for collectors sake, but depends on what the other versions have and for what price.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many people will buy Spider-Man on PS4 after watching Far From Home. From what I've heard the movie is pretty good.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I think Siren is dead fam.

Sony really screwed up letting Supermassive get away and sign a multigame deal with Bamco.

Sure, UD wasn't a huge seller but it had amazing potential. Triggerhappytel mentioned something really interesting about turning it into a anthology series.

One set during a zombie apocalypse, alien invasion, alien abduction, etc. The universe of UD had potential.

Supermassive is making PS4 games, we just don't know if it's UD, new IP, VR... https://gematsu.com/2018/11/supermassive-games-working-on-several-unannounced-playstation-exclusives

The Inpatient and Hidden Agenda weren't that successful tho.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
That guy talking about the whole Remedy/Sony rumors on his podcast.

Something is going on with Remedy and Sony, for sure. I don't know if they're talking about a second party relationship or if this is a studio that'll be acquired. I gonna keep a close eye on what's going on with this whole thing, because I'm a little nervous actually. I like Remedy but I don't think it would be a good buy for Sony because they already have studios that make better games than Remedy makes.

This was recorded before Push Square posted that info/rumor.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
There's been a pattern in this thread for as far as I can remember, where games which disappointed either critically or commercially are wished to make a comeback, while others that did much better are ripped to shreds on a daily basis.

It must be the underdog syndrome. But there's usually a very good reason why those games didn't catch on.

I like Remedy but I don't think it would be a good buy for Sony because they already have studios that make better games than Remedy makes.
He didn't think that through, I guess. Sony has studios that make better games than anybody. It also has other teams that could learn more than a few tricks from Remedy.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
There's been a pattern in this thread for as far as I can remember, where games which disappointed either critically or commercially are wished to make a comeback, while others that did much better are ripped to shreds on a daily basis.

It must be the underdog syndrome. But there's usually a very good reason why those games didn't catch on.
folks have different tastes in games, there's not much there to examine. The Order 1886, for whatever reason, was a game a lot of folks really liked, or liked the potential that franchise could have, for example.

Unlike what the general thinking is, Sony doesn't make the same games over and over again. Even though HZD and Days Gone are both open world games, HZD ended up being my favorite game Sony has published this gen while I haven't even touched Days Gone. I'm sure there's someone that feels the opposite of me. SIE actually has a wide range of different experiences that different folks attach to.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
That guy talking about the whole Remedy/Sony rumors on his podcast.

This was recorded before Push Square posted that info/rumor.

The whole "Sony's first party makes better games than Remedy, why take them in?" argument is such nonsense. As if a gaming studio never evolved when paired with the correct publisher.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "Sony's first party makes better games than Remedy, why take them in?" argument is such nonsense. As if a gaming studio never evolved when paired with the correct publisher.

Yeah, look no further than Guerrilla. At the time that Sony purchased them these were their two games

ShellShock: Nam '67 - 58
Killzone - 70

And as it stands Remedy is a great developer. Their games tend to have great stories and their gunplay mechanics are some of the best in the industry.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Something to consider about Remedy: even though they're quite big in size (200+), those people are spread over 3 projects: Control, the single player campaign for CrossFire X and an unannounced 3rd project. Just imagine how much bigger and better their games could be if all those people worked on the same game.

Oct 25, 2017

He didn't think that through, I guess. Sony has studios that make better games than anybody. It also has other teams that could learn more than a few tricks from Remedy.
On a semi related to note to what you was saying
Nobody NOBODY! was asking for no damn syphon filter all gen until days gone was announced

Oct 31, 2017

Yeah, what the hell is he smoking? Bend's now a developer I'm paying attention to. I've paid close attention to ND since Uncharted 2. I'm now a huge Guerrilla fan. Santa Monica was just there for me with Kinetica but became a developer I really respected after God of War.

Like, what if Remedy joined and made REALLY good AA games with a budget? They'd likely be great since WWS developers get a ton of creative freedom.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
Something to consider about Remedy: even though they're quite big in size (200+), those people are spread over 3 projects: Control, the single player campaign for CrossFire X and an unannounced 3rd project. Just imagine how much bigger and better their games could be if all those people worked on the same game.
+ SIE resources like the ICE team.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the February release timeframe has been sort of an open secret for a while. My gut says Valentine's Day, and then Atlus will announce the global release of Persona 5 Royale to be on the same day, for maximum self-sabotage.

Yeah that would be terrible. Overall I'm scared for P5 Royal performance, it's a big AA release I don't wan to see it fail but Q1 is really bad for it outside of maybe January. If TLOU is really in February than launching a PS4 exclusive near it would be suicide than after that in March there is FFVII Remake which is even bigger competition for P5 and April Cyberpunk with lot of other games in between. Maybe they should look at May or June while I know that's late maybe it's better for the game? I think Atlus have some tough decision to make. Too bad the game won't make it to 2019 I think it would have better chance to sell then than in early 2020.

I genuinely think that WW if talking only PS4 sales FFVIIR will be above Cyberpunk. VIIR is a long awaited game, deeply rooted in PS brand with SE surprisingly nailing the marketing if E3 is anything to go by and also Sony may also help with that $$$. I'm thinking it will be like Crash Trilogy but on a bigger scale. Cyberpunk while huge will also be on other platforms and personally if I'm going to play it it will be on PC. TLOU part II should be number 1 though.

TLoU and FF7 potentially being so close together makes me sad.

This. I hope TLOU is early February.

Last edited:

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, look no further than Guerrilla. At the time that Sony purchased them these were their two games

ShellShock: Nam '67 - 58
Killzone - 70

And as it stands Remedy is a great developer. Their games tend to have great stories and their gunplay mechanics are some of the best in the industry.
Hell Bend Studio made Bubsy 3D!

Status
Not open for further replies.