• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Kind of crazy to think it's been like 397 days since Sony/Naughty Dog has given us any official news about TLOU2. Hoping we won't have to wait until December (PSX/VGA's) for anything further. At the very least I hope it's been helpful for development not having to make any trailers or gameplay demos for the public.
Once big news or a big event gets announced finally. It's gonna be crazy here I bet. It's definitely been a bit of a ghost town for a while now though.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

ezgif-4-527b7c577128.gif

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
For those who are participating in Dreams EA:
Skyrim inspired Slayer Scrolls 2 is out. IMO one of the most ambitious and impressive games until now.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want someone to post a tweet of digging through Naughty Dog's dumpster and be like,"Visiting Naughty Dog. Great time. This TLoU2 art is crazy... or maybe its coffee stains.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
So, I was trying to play Parappa the Rapper and what the fuck lol. I thought it was an relaxing game but it's impossible.

On the other hand, can't stop playing Horizon: Chase Turbo.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, anyone else convinced that Sony is looking to make an all-in-one online media service that incorporates games, movies, tv and music? I can't shake the feeling. I have my suspicions that they're looking to utilize the Azure infrastructure to host this service worldwide and that PS Now will just be one part of their larger goal in streaming.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching this new thriller on Netflix called Point Blank and Anthrony Mackey and Frank Grillo are having a conversation about Metal Gear Solid.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Hmm, anyone else convinced that Sony is looking to make an all-in-one online media service that incorporates games, movies, tv and music? I can't shake the feeling. I have my suspicions that they're looking to utilize the Azure infrastructure to host this service worldwide and that PS Now will just be one part of their larger goal in streaming.
I don't know about that, but one thing I've been wondering since they announced PlayStation Productions is how they will distribute those movies and TV series. I'm sure all movies will debut in cinemas like all movies. But how will they distribute the TV series? What happens to the movies after the cinema release? I'm kinda hoping they'll just become part of the PlayStation Now subscription.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know about that, but one thing I've been wondering since they announced PlayStation Productions is how they will distribute those movies and TV series. I'm sure all movies will debut in cinemas like all movies. But how will they distribute the TV series? What happens to the movies after the cinema release? I'm kinda hoping they'll just become part of the PlayStation Now subscription.

Yup, between original content created by PlayStation Productions, original content created by Sony Pictures (not to mention their back catalog) there's quite a bit of content right there to toss onto a streaming platform. Other media powerhouses are doing their own thing, but Sony is the one who can incorporate so many types of media into a singular service if they decide to go that route. Even if it's just a games/tv/movies deal that'd still be a great package and they could probably work out a discount towards Spotify if they wanted to add a more complete music solution.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, between original content created by PlayStation Productions, original content created by Sony Pictures (not to mention their back catalog) there's quite a bit of content right there to toss onto a streaming platform. Other media powerhouses are doing their own thing, but Sony is the one who can incorporate so many types of media into a singular service if they decide to go that route. Even if it's just a games/tv/movies deal that'd still be a great package and they could probably work out a discount towards Spotify if they wanted to add a more complete music solution.

But they need to wrap it all in Playstation Home 2.0 VR edition to work.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

More is not always better. All-in-one packages sounds like a good idea on paper, but they'd be limiting their potential pool of customers because not everyone is going to want to pay for a package of games/movies/TV if they only want one or two of those things. I love Sony games, but I have no interest in their movies and TV shows. So if the only package they offer is the all in one variety, then I will simply not subscribe. I'm fine with that as an option if I can still just sub to those things individually a la carte.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
More is not always better. All-in-one packages sounds like a good idea on paper, but they'd be limiting their potential pool of customers because not everyone is going to want to pay for a package of games/movies/TV if they only want one or two of those things. I love Sony games, but I have no interest in their movies and TV shows. So if the only package they offer is the all in one variety, then I will simply not subscribe. I'm fine with that as an option if I can still just sub to those things individually a la carte.
That's fine 😃
Allowing people to choose services with discounts for the full bundle would work.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018

I'm not sure there is even close to a profitable way to combine all that together that people would bite on.

The key to services is being cheap enough people don't notice it each month. No way they could make that service cheap enough to make you not notice it.

Edit:

I don't think they have the movie or the tv series to really do anything with a subscription in any real way And that's where the big money is. They've already farmed out their music licenses to others.

It could just be smaller stuff movie/tv stuff that's included with PS+ like that detective show that had low production value. Discounts on music subs like Spotify has now with PS+.

But they can't launch any kind of service with efforts they've thrown out in the past for PS subs.

Last edited:

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice of Naughty Dog to give us new screenshots of the game. This would keep us a little fed waiting for Outbreak Day or PSX if they have one this year. Hell, I'll take one screenshot.

Nah, I want more than a screenshot. Gimme a glorious 5min gameplay demo, just drop that shit on YT and a random Tuesday and sit back and watch as the servers burn.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Nah, I want more than a screenshot. Gimme a glorious 5min gameplay demo, just drop that shit on YT and a random Tuesday and sit back and watch as the servers burn.
we really dont need another gameplay demo tbh, we already can clearly see the evolution of the gameplay loop in E3 2018 trailer, we just need a new story trailer teasing some stuff, joel reveal etc. but i dont really need to see more gameplay.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Ya know, as I lay here thinking about how TLoU 2 can end, which I don't really do/theorize that often, a thought has continually came to mind.

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I'm hopeful that Ellie dies. Yes, as I write this with a confused look on my face re-reading that, I am. On the other hand, Im hopeful she pulls through. I am very fond of her, as I know you are as well.

You see, if you ask anyone with knowledge of the original game, and now what we know of the second, you'd get a split decision regarding Joel's fate. Most likely 50/50 Joel dies, would be the consensus.

But let's take a step back here, and evaluate what we DO know about the themes of the game, and how this relates to Ellie. Hate, Violence, Revenge. What happens when we lose our humanity? When we lose control of it to the point where there's no coming back?

We can come full circle, where Ellie begins on her revenge-filled crusade, narrowly escapes death multiple times, is either successful or unsuccessful in her ultimate goal, and survives the trek. The themes of violence, hate, they can all be explored to great effect here still.

But they can also be explored to great effect with an unfortunate outcome, Ellie's death. When this hate consumes us, eats away at us till the point we no longer recognize our own selves. Despite Joel's many efforts, even he can't get through to Ellie in the most crucial of period. It wins, and now Joel is left in a state of shock, as is the player. Hopelessness, a second daughter lost, and for what?

This isn't an outcome any fan wants to entertain. If would have to be done right. The ending and its inevitable twists, will hopefully be done right regardless, and I have faith it will be. This also barring a part 3, where the narrative team would be more conservative.

I'm a proponent of a story, and an ending that could be the most impactful in gaming, ever. This doesn't have to include Ellie's demise. But it could, and maybe it should. Can you imagine, that sinking feeling in your stomach? That feeling of hopelessness you're feeling, right there with Joel? Humanity won, the lacking of it in which Ellie was unable to escape.

Night.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
400 days and we still haven't seen anything new about TLoU PII :0

and neil has said the game is about 60 percent complete over 2 years ago

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
If the rumor is true, finally we will have EA games on PS+ (probably because EA Access is finally accepted by Sony on PS4)

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Wouldn't mind a TLOU2 trailer a la the GoW one from E3 2017. They show a bunch of gameplay snippets, they blow out the story more a bit. In a meaty 5 min trailer. Would be nice if we get something like that. Thinking about it now, in regards to story, we really don't know much.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
The wait for TLoU PII wouldn't be this painful if the game wasn't announced so goddamn early. 38 months from the announcement to the release (if it comes out in february next year), that's crazy. Announcement with gameplay demo should be done at E3 2018.

Last edited:

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
They have been sending mixed signals regarding this but I agree they are planning on more synergy between the different divisions.

"Surprise. When Mr. Yoshida takes the stage on Monday at the CES trade show in Las Vegas, he plans to use the high-profile platform to showcase Sony movies, television shows and music. He plans to telegraph that not only will his Sony not exit any of these businesses, it will make them a priority as his predecessors have not. In particular, Mr. Yoshida wants to make better use of the company's online PlayStation Network as a way to bring Sony movies, shows and music directly to consumers. PlayStation Network, introduced in 2006, now has more than 80 million monthly active users."
"
He added that Sony's three separately run entertainment businesses — music, gaming and motion pictures — have been told from on high that it is time to collaborate more consistently. In the past, analysts say, PlayStation Network managers have been hesitant to team up with their movie and music counterparts, worrying that the service's core gamers would balk if they felt that Sony was pushing, say, family films at them.

Mr. Yoshida seemed less concerned. He called PlayStation Network "a very strong entertainment platform for all of Sony — very suitable for video and music content.""

More recently they have indicated they like being in a position to sell to all the different streaming services so not sure

"
After presentations by the respective heads of the games and music divisions, Vinciquerra went on to outline SPE's strategy against a background of "unprecedented changes taking place in our industry." The exec said that "every studio has had to rethink its strategy" before expanding on the themes set out by Yoshida.

Vinciquerra pointed to the growth in the number of drama series that SPE was producing for streaming platforms and insisted that the studio's lack of its own streaming service would be an asset as new services, including Disney's upcoming Disney+, come online. He added that creators also see this position as an advantage because the studio is "not locked-in to a single streaming platform."

At last year's event, Vinciquerra had said SPE would be exploring partnerships, but in response to a question about that strategy on Tuesday, he indicated the company had altered course.

"Our view has changed. There is a need for an independent studio," said the exec. "Alliances may happen in the future, but for the next few years, there is a very clear path for us.""

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
They have been sending mixed signals regarding this but I agree they are planning on more synergy between the different divisions.

"Surprise. When Mr. Yoshida takes the stage on Monday at the CES trade show in Las Vegas, he plans to use the high-profile platform to showcase Sony movies, television shows and music. He plans to telegraph that not only will his Sony not exit any of these businesses, it will make them a priority as his predecessors have not. In particular, Mr. Yoshida wants to make better use of the company's online PlayStation Network as a way to bring Sony movies, shows and music directly to consumers. PlayStation Network, introduced in 2006, now has more than 80 million monthly active users."
"
He added that Sony's three separately run entertainment businesses — music, gaming and motion pictures — have been told from on high that it is time to collaborate more consistently. In the past, analysts say, PlayStation Network managers have been hesitant to team up with their movie and music counterparts, worrying that the service's core gamers would balk if they felt that Sony was pushing, say, family films at them.

Mr. Yoshida seemed less concerned. He called PlayStation Network "a very strong entertainment platform for all of Sony — very suitable for video and music content.""

More recently they have indicated they like being in a position to sell to all the different streaming services so not sure

"
After presentations by the respective heads of the games and music divisions, Vinciquerra went on to outline SPE's strategy against a background of "unprecedented changes taking place in our industry." The exec said that "every studio has had to rethink its strategy" before expanding on the themes set out by Yoshida.

Vinciquerra pointed to the growth in the number of drama series that SPE was producing for streaming platforms and insisted that the studio's lack of its own streaming service would be an asset as new services, including Disney's upcoming Disney+, come online. He added that creators also see this position as an advantage because the studio is "not locked-in to a single streaming platform."

At last year's event, Vinciquerra had said SPE would be exploring partnerships, but in response to a question about that strategy on Tuesday, he indicated the company had altered course.

"Our view has changed. There is a need for an independent studio," said the exec. "Alliances may happen in the future, but for the next few years, there is a very clear path for us.""

Nifty, thanks for the reply :)

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Ya know, as I lay here thinking about how TLoU 2 can end, which I don't really do/theorize that often, a thought has continually came to mind.

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I'm hopeful that Ellie dies. Yes, as I write this with a confused look on my face re-reading that, I am. On the other hand, Im hopeful she pulls through. I am very fond of her, as I know you are as well.

You see, if you ask anyone with knowledge of the original game, and now what we know of the second, you'd get a split decision regarding Joel's fate. Most likely 50/50 Joel dies, would be the consensus.

But let's take a step back here, and evaluate what we DO know about the themes of the game, and how this relates to Ellie. Hate, Violence, Revenge. What happens when we lose our humanity? When we lose control of it to the point where there's no coming back?

We can come full circle, where Ellie begins on her revenge-filled crusade, narrowly escapes death multiple times, is either successful or unsuccessful in her ultimate goal, and survives the trek. The themes of violence, hate, they can all be explored to great effect here still.

But they can also be explored to great effect with an unfortunate outcome, Ellie's death. When this hate consumes us, eats away at us till the point we no longer recognize our own selves. Despite Joel's many efforts, even he can't get through to Ellie in the most crucial of period. It wins, and now Joel is left in a state of shock, as is the player. Hopelessness, a second daughter lost, and for what?

This isn't an outcome any fan wants to entertain. If would have to be done right. The ending and its inevitable twists, will hopefully be done right regardless, and I have faith it will be. This also barring a part 3, where the narrative team would be more conservative.

I'm a proponent of a story, and an ending that could be the most impactful in gaming, ever. This doesn't have to include Ellie's demise. But it could, and maybe it should. Can you imagine, that sinking feeling in your stomach? That feeling of hopelessness you're feeling, right there with Joel? Humanity won, the lacking of it in which Ellie was unable to escape.

Night.

To be honest, usually stories that go down this route are way too theoretical and presumptive of the illustrations they show to work. Or they go the opposite direction and the art of subtlety is often lost on them.

We can only hope the creative team doesn't try to be so grandiose and important and let's the story speak for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.