• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Third time's a charm, right?

Hasebe-san came from Super Mario RPG at Squaresoft to make an RPG for PS1 at Sony. Scored 70+/100 on Metacritic and was a failure in PAL region because it was localized too late.

That was Sony's first attempt. But there was a second attempt, not on PS2 or PS3, it was surprisingly on PSP. Sony Japan moved the AAA games to portable.

Tenkawa-san had worked on a colourful 2D platformer for PS1 before he created this magnitude of an action RPG. Your typical AAA on PSP with graphics between PS1 and PS2. Hermie Hopperhead looks to be a knock-off of Yoshi's Island.

Hermie Hopperhead (2D platformer)

It was released in 1995 on PS1 and only in Japan. It was nothing original. We got something original like a 3D game with Jumping Flash instead.

Anyway, he created the next big Sony RPG after The Legend of Dragoon. Since Sony had no development team they approached Climax to develop it. Tenchi no Mon was the title and Key of Heaven in PAL region. Jumping Flash creator was ironically one of the producers. It succeeded in Japan and in PAL region (based on Sony's Essentials series needs to sell over 450k in the region). Despite it sold well in the PAL region it failed in the NA market as Kingdom of Paradise. Review scores resulted in 70+/100 on Metacritic.

Another big Sony RPG that missed the mark.

They made a second game which was a prequel and it was never localized.

Can Kouno-san break the 70+/100 curse for SIEJ? His track record is solid with 83 for LocoRoco and 85 for LocoRoco 2. I don't think Hermie Hopperhead did score well or was anything original. There was nothing like it on the market when LocoRoco came out.
Wow Key of Heaven looks good! I'm surprised I've never heard of it...

Jul 15, 2019
If The Lost Legacy truly was a full scaled game (which i DONT think it was at all compared to uncharted 4), in which most of the studio was making it, then that's kinda sad. And it kinda shows what happens to naughty dog when Bruce Straley isn't working on game. So hearing Lost Legacy was full fledged makes me kinda worried for TLOU2.

Anyways, besides that, Sony will be at the Tokyo game show which is great news and there's even a chance of a death stranding being playable for a demo

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
If The Lost Legacy truly was a full scaled game (which i DONT think it was at all compared to uncharted 4), in which most of the studio was making it, then that's kinda sad. And it kinda shows what happens to naughty dog when Bruce Straley isn't working on game. So hearing Lost Legacy was full fledged makes me kinda worried for TLOU2.

Anyways, besides that, Sony will be at the Tokyo game show which is great news and there's even a chance of a death stranding being playable for a demo

Lost legacy was a full-scaled game, developed in 15 months. Uncharted 4 was a full-scaled game, developed in 3 years. That's why they are so different

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
D_rIc95XkAAlUf-.jpg:large

here is your sony press conference.
2 hour chinajoy conference on august 1st. hopefully lost soul aside footage...
Iirc I recently read an interview with Shu where he stated that Lost soul aside was still early in development and the devs need a lot more time until they can/want to present more footage...

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lost soul aside is looking really awesome, it has the potential to be one of the best action games ever made😁. Hope it will release soon.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Who's talking about sales here? AAA games don't all sell tens of millions of copies. We're talking about quality and polish here.
An "AAA" isn't defined by its quality or its polish. For example, Mafia III is an AAA. It's just a matter of budget: if its budget is bigger than [...]*, it's an AAA. If it's under, it's an AA. So if it has an AAA budget, it needs to sell enough to be profitable.

* : nobody has ever defined what should be the budget of a game to be called "AAA". It must be one of the most expensive game made by the publisher, but it's unclear if the budget should be 50M, 75M or 100M$. Let's say 50M, but it can be discuss.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Lmaoo people actually think Uncharted TLL is not AAA? you guys do know that that game has more polish and more money was spent on making it, than probably your favorite AAA games out here right?
LOL

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
AA = 10-25/30M$ budget (Hellblade,Kingdom come deliverance,Plague tale,The outer world,Nier automata)

AAA= 30-100M$ budget (Horizon zero dawn,Days Gone,U4,God of war,The witcher3 etc...)

AAAA= +100M$ budget (GTAV,RDR2,Destiny2 etc...)

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Glad to see someone else still has faith on Killzone. This place had too many infidels. ;)

Now, if Guerrilla would think the same...

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
An "AAA" isn't defined by its quality or its polish. For example, Mafia III is an AAA. It's just a matter of budget: if its budget is bigger than [...]*, it's an AAA. If it's under, it's an AA. So if it has an AAA budget, it needs to sell enough to be profitable.

* : nobody has ever defined what should be the budget of a game to be called "AAA". It must be one of the most expensive game made by the publisher, but it's unclear if the budget should be 50M, 75M or 100M$. Let's say 50M, but it can be discuss.

If your sole criteria is budget, then fine, we all can agree that The Show is a AAA game then.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I think it will be a Killzone Esport focus or New IP Esport fucus.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/simon-larouche-0342132/?originalSubdomain=nl Game director
https://www.linkedin.com/in/designerchrislee/ Principal designer

He have great online/multiplayer experience.
Yeah, we've discussed here about what could be for quite some time. I'd really like it to be related with KZ, though I'd understand it, if it's something new. There are those who only embrace the latter, very mean people. ;)

We'll see what it is, eventually (fingers crossed for 2021 or sooner).

Status
Not open for further replies.