• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
This thread has nothing to talk about but debating if MLB is AAA or not lol
Here's something...

I think an at-cost PS5 would do well and it's my personal choice for Sony's strategy next year. I'll list some reasons.

- PS4 is still producing games that look great is affordable already, and has an established library
- If next gen biggest innovation is better CPU and load times, it will take some development years to produce a title not possible on current hardware
-we live in a tech world, reviews are taking apart machines and doing quality test on them. Media will let consumers know if PS5 is worth the $$ by the design and components
-PS3 fiasco happened in part because the games DIDNOT look better than X360. Yes is was about the price, but the problem was there was no justification for it being $200 more expensive than Xbox at least not one that ppl cared for. It might have done better otherwise.
-PS brand is arguably as strong as PS2 days with a much stronger digital attachment ratio. It might be able to hold out for a least 2 holidays of being pricey for more casual gamers.

Thoughts?

Indominus

Jan 11, 2018
I loved Days Gone and i totally agree with people saying this game is very unpolished. I played on a base PS4 and i can't remember other $60 game performing this bad. Maybe Just Cause 3. It's like after Iron Mike's camp they just han out of time to polish, or they knew DF wouldn't cover the latter areas lol.

But yeah, i had severe frame drops for just driving around. Sometimes i'd leave the bike behind just to stop the slideshow. Oh, and the frequent loading hurted my experience too. I was forced to constantly see an ugly ass ring spinning before every single cut-scene lol. Ironically, this issue gets better when you reach those poor performance areas. It's a fun game but it definitely has some technical issues.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
That South Australia team sounds like it's going to be focused on hardware/engine development, probably a bit like the ICE (Initiative for a Common Engine) Team that's based at Naughty Dog if I recall correctly.

32 people is quite small for this day and age, but I suppose when you get started from scratch it makes sense.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation Japan posted this very cool lineup/music video.

That is an awesome montage/music video, those animations connecting are really cool.

Your weekly dose of wtf you can make that in dreams.

Great progress on that one seeing those great combo animations now with an enemy and having it look great.

Nice.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Because its budget is?

Yes. Others here have pointed out that sports licenses are ridiculously expensive. Take-Two paid $1.1 billion for the NBA license for 7 years, and it's not even an exclusive deal since NBA Live still exists. So that's $157 million per NBA2K game over those 7 years, just for licensing. The MLB license likely isn't quite as expensive as the NBA license, but even if it's 1/3 of that, we're still talking about $50+ million in licensing cost per game. The Show last year also added official licensed equipment to the game. So that's another license that they have to pay for.

Jul 15, 2019
Here's something...

I think an at-cost PS5 would do well and it's my personal choice for Sony's strategy next year. I'll list some reasons.

- PS4 is still producing games that look great is affordable already, and has an established library
- If next gen biggest innovation is better CPU and load times, it will take some development years to produce a title not possible on current hardware
-we live in a tech world, reviews are taking apart machines and doing quality test on them. Media will let consumers know if PS5 is worth the $$ by the design and components
-PS3 fiasco happened in part because the games DIDNOT look better than X360. Yes is was about the price, but the problem was there was no justification for it being $200 more expensive than Xbox at least not one that ppl cared for. It might have done better otherwise.
-PS brand is arguably as strong as PS2 days with a much stronger digital attachment ratio. It might be able to hold out for a least 2 holidays of being pricey for more casual gamers.
San Diego studio has a new logo

Thoughts?

i don't think it is worth the risk. i am also like 80% sure that the new xbox will be stronger than the ps5. so if the ps5 costs more than that is not a good move.

also is that logo for the new studio or the one that makes MLB games?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
i don't think it is worth the risk. i am also like 80% sure that the new xbox will be stronger than the ps5. so if the ps5 costs more than that is not a good move.

also is that logo for the new studio or the one that makes MLB games?
Current rumor is PS5 devkits we're more powerful and Xbox is backing away from the most powerful in the world mantra. and if PS5 does come out more expensive it would obviously be the more powerful machine.

They are launching in the same time frame, if price points are similar, then specs are very likely similar.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego studio has a new logo

Something seems to be brewing in San Diego.

NHvZufB.png

iwU4NSC.png

Last edited:

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
3 unannounced AAA projects at VASG. It's possible some (or all) of these can just be TLOU2/DS/GoT.

They sound huge in scope though. 70+ animators on a single game whilst this being the support studio... wow.

Also 10 separate outsourcing studios assisting with another project.

Screenshot_2019-07-17_at_22.46.41.png

Last edited:

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo the speculation that the new team may very well be part of a San Diego expansion.

It isn't ideal for those who only care about the quantity of studios Sony has but turning an existing dev house into a multi-team powerhouse is probably more feasible.

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
I'll echo the speculation that the new team may very well be part of a San Diego expansion.

It isn't ideal for those who only care about the quantity of studios Sony has but turning an existing dev house into a multi-team powerhouse is probably more feasible.
20 Studios with a total of 6000 developers or 15 Studios with 8000 developers I prefer the second option, the number of studios is not important. 👍🏻

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That South Australia team sounds like it's going to be focused on hardware/engine development, probably a bit like the ICE (Initiative for a Common Engine) Team that's based at Naughty Dog if I recall correctly.
32 people is quite small for this day and age, but I suppose when you get started from scratch it makes sense.
It's not a dev studio that will make games. But it's still nice that Australia is getting some Sony love.
New building really makes me think that the new San Diego team is a 2nd team within San Diego Studio, not a completely new studio.
That's why Sony always said "new team" and not "new studio". It's the reason why I always thought it's Naughty Dog's second team or office and not its own thing ;)
How is this even up for freaking debate?
I know right?

Yo JuanLatino, it's time to update the OT again ;D

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it'll be a backend/networking focused team.

Could be the first on the ground people for PSNow Aus maybe.

They should've sited the office in Brisbane tho ;)

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.