• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Ueda's next game screams "multiplatform". I don't think it will be a Sony 1st party game.
Yeah... it screams Unreal Engine 4 to me. Maybe 505 Games or Private Division picked it up... Maybe it will be PS4/PC at best. LOL :/
Yeah, but after reading some of Ueda's interviews since then I doubt it. They received $$$ elsewhere, too. So it looks like their next game might be multiplat.
Need quotes for that... lol. Don't remember reading about this. 🤔😅
giphy.gif

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Kowloon Nights isn't a publisher, they're a game-fund. It's highly likely Ueda will still need a publisher/development team to move his project past prototype into a full game.

Doesn't have to be SIE per say.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'd honestly love to see them return to The Order at some point. Gothic Victorian monster hunting is entirely my jam. Maybe they could figure out how to apply their open world formula to it or something.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kowloon Nights isn't a publisher, they're a game-fund. It's highly likely Ueda will still need a publisher/development team to move his project past prototype into a full game.

Well he will need a dev team, because he basically doesn't have one. But with external funding and after reading the latest interviews... yeah, pretty sure it's gonna be multiplat.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I assume Ueda's next game will be relatively indie in scale. To my knowledge GenDesign is like Comcept and Mistwalker in that they're more a small team of creative leads that works with outside dev studios than a traditional one themselves. Last Guardian was overwhelmingly developed by Studio Japan so I wouldn't expect anything on that scale if it's exclusively GenDesign working on the new project.

On the topic of Erica, I'm a little bummed PlayLink didn't seem to pan out. I thought they were perfectly fine for what they were. Especially since they were pretty much always on sale for $5-10.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home

What he said ^^^. Read a bit more about Kowloon Nights and it is a global-fund that can help smaller independant company to kickstart their project (or at least prototype it) until they are ready to go full-production on it. Kowloon Nights is a not publisher, so like Nightengale said, GenDesign would still need to find and convince a publisher if they want additional funding for their current game.
Kotaku said:
After The Last Guardian shipped in 2016, director Fumito Ueda found himself in a fortunate position. Despite the game lingering in development for more than a decade, and despite its reception not reaching the acclaim of Ueda's earlier work, players loved the vision. And the game industry was ready to sign him to a new publishing deal. [...]
So GenDesign paused its publisher discussions. It looked at alternative funding options, in an effort to buy time to work through an extensive prototyping period before putting a game back on the market.

And it landed on a new investment fund called Kowloon Nights.
I assume Ueda's next game will be relatively indie in scale. To my knowledge GenDesign is like Comcept and Mistwalker in that they're more a small team of creative leads that works with outside dev studios than a traditional one themselves. Last Guardian was overwhelmingly developed by Studio Japan so I wouldn't expect anything on that scale if it's exclusively GenDesign working on the new project.
Only when it started to transition to be a PS4 game. Even a few SSM people helped with it.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyped for Erica. More choice-based games are always good. Until Dawn might be dead, but at least we got Erica :)
I get the first hashtag, but... Really? Do you seriously want Wilds more, than BG&E2?
I know I do. The "teaser" trailer for BG&E2 was cringy as hell. Zero interest after that.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Only when it started to transition to be a PS4 game. Even a few SSM people helped with it.
Come to think of it, I remember that now. At PSX 2015 I talked to someone from Santa Monica who mentioned that. Apparently they help out with a lot of WWS games to varying degrees (not including the old indie division).

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
And many indies too, like Edith Finch.
That was different. They had a different branch (within the studio) for that. It was called Sony Santa Monica Studios - External. They used to incubate smaller indie-scale games (like the Unfinished Swan or Journey) and also helped with some other 2nd-party type projects like The Order 1886 (I think?). Eventually, after the cancelled new IP and the disappointment of God of War Ascension, that branch was "seperated?". Some of the people who helped with that initiative left and joined what was later known as Annapurna Interactive if I remember correctly. It was not a surprised that games like Wattam and What Remains of Edith Finch were eventually published by them. :P
Will the TLOU2 be at Gamescom? I was thinking the spotlight will be on Death Stranding instead.
If we don't have a PGW conference, why not? lol XD

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Quite strange that Sony didn't say anything about Death Stranding at Gamescom on Social Medias. They retweeted Geoff's post talking about Predator's gameplay, but absolutely nothing about Death Stranding.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
You think they will announce a PC version?
Man, Sony really sucks in retaining talent for exclusive games. they blew it with FromSoft Demon Souls and lost Dark Souls to Bamco, it's a miracle they got Bloodborne and that seems like the last time we'll get games of that scale from Fromsoft, low budget VR game is all Sony can get after that.

then there's also Supermassive jumping ship after Until Dawn success, Sly 4 is profitable and they do nothing to continue it. TGC also out after Journey, now Quantic Dreams, Ueda, and probably Kojima too is out from being exclusive Sony games.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Man, Sony really sucks in retaining talent for exclusive games. they blew it with FromSoft Demon Souls and lost Dark Souls to Bamco, it's a miracle they got Bloodborne and that seems like the last time we'll get games of that scale from Fromsoft, low budget VR game is all Sony can get after that.

then there's also Supermassive jumping ship after Until Dawn success, Sly 4 is profitable and they do nothing to continue it. TGC also out after Journey, now Quantic Dreams, Ueda, and probably Kojima too is out from being exclusive Sony games.
There are more than enough first-party exclusive to compensate in addition to third-party games. PlayStation owners aren't thirsty for content.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017

Supermassive already said they were working on several games for Sony so atleast is not over with them.

Regarding today's debacle about Death Stranding exclusivity status (maybe an error? maybe they are redoing the website?) seen in the thread created by Vestan, I should have more info sometime next week regarding DS status, maybe the week after... fingers crossed.

By the way F4ro did you have any new info about Death Stranding ?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Supermassive already said they were working on several games for Sony so atleast is not over with them.

By the way F4ro did you have any new info about Death Stranding ?
I know, but just like FromSoft, who know if it's another AAA game like Until Dawn or smaller scale games like Deracine. I imagine if Man of Medan is a success, (which looks like it will) Supermassive will stay mainly multiplaform after that point on.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I know, but just like FromSoft, who know if it's another AAA game like Until Dawn or smaller scale games like Deracine. I imagine if Man of Medan is a success, (which looks like it will) Supermassive will stay mainly multiplaform after that point on.
Knowing Sony, it's some VR game that isn't nearly as good as the thing we actually want.

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
Weird place to ask but I don't know where else to.

Is there a general random thoughts thread or a back log thread? Just a thread for posting about random games you're playing with no set topic?

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Weird place to ask but I don't know where else to.

Is there a general random thoughts thread or a back log thread? Just a thread for posting about random games you're playing with no set topic?
I think there's a thread for games you've beaten (or tried to) during the last month. This is July's edition, though there isn't much conversation aside of quoting what you've spent time with.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Hopefully we get some more Iron Man VR footage! Would be cool to see one of those unannounced games but I suppose they saving those for the State of Play.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Is Erica digital only? I'd like a stealth release too but if it has a disc version it wouldn't be very likely.

Oct 27, 2017
I will hold my judgment till E2020 but yeah Sony deserves their reputation of their 1st party being only 3rd person action adventure games. If there was no Psvr their output would probably only be that. But can you blame them? This forum is full of people who think multiplayer = mtx trash and 3rd party have them covered anyway and people who have to be transported to a hospital after playing a 1st person game for 30 minutes due to "motion sickness".

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I remember MGS V having long demo walkthroughs done by the studio, similar for the previous ones too (who didn't play the Tanker demo back in the day). I guess I'm just surprised there are those who really expect Death Stranding to release in November with no similar content.

The problem with Kojima in my opinion is showing up too much of his games, not the opposite. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.