• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Some reactions :

Lead Animator @ Sucker Punch responding to Insomniac dev

Community Manager @ Media Molecule

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
👀

What is Sony's approach to acquiring studios?

We look at this from a Worldwide Studios perspective which has the encouragement and support of Sony Interactive Entertainment, my leadership, and Sony Corp. has been fully backing on this. Looking at something like Insomniac, an acquisition of a studio of that caliber and size was really a way for us to continue our strength in innovation and quality with a heavy leaning towards the power of narrative, the power of storytelling. These are things that, if you look across our catalogue, we do a lot in this genre. We want to tell stories. We want to create a place where game developers can bring their vision to life and tell stories that impact the emotions and interests of our gamers. Insomniac fits perfectly into the division that we created at Worldwide Studios here, leaning into first and best.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
People acting like Shawn's interview means Spider-Man 2 is coming to PC via Epic Game Store lol
Single-player games exclusive to Playstation, multiplayer games on PC IMO
I knew Jim Ryan was a power play kind of guy. Ever since he orchestrated the downfall of Kodera, PlayStation has been making all the right moves.
544687623369916416.png

574022182758514749.png

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
The Insomniac purchase really hits that Two Birds with One Stone for Sony. I fully expect Insomniac to deliver more Spider-Man & PSVR games next gen.

And if Sony still buying, I'm thinking Ready At Dawn might be next since they fit in the same portfolio of AAA development & Well versed VR team as well.
I can see Sony purchasing Remedy before they purchase RAD, that studios proven nothing.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I would like to see them take a punt on Ready at Dawn over Housemarque, but I'm probably in the minority with that.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
What is this quote from?
Here :
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Why Sony Interactive Bought ‘Spider-Man’ Maker Insomniac Games

Shawn Layden, chairman of SIE Worldwide Studios, caught up with The Hollywood Reporter to discuss the acquisition of Insomniac Games, what it means for development on the studio's titles and the company's approach to acquiring studios and talent.

When I read this kind of thing :
We're in a place now where all of our teams are trading technology and techniques and innovation across studios to get better and stronger.

It makes me realize how bad were the relations between the different BioWare (or how chill the studios Sony-owned are)

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Here :
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Why Sony Interactive Bought ‘Spider-Man’ Maker Insomniac Games

Shawn Layden, chairman of SIE Worldwide Studios, caught up with The Hollywood Reporter to discuss the acquisition of Insomniac Games, what it means for development on the studio's titles and the company's approach to acquiring studios and talent.
Thanks. I would kiss Shawn Layden on the mouth for that quote.

100% where Sony needs to be planting their flag. It is by far the thing they do best and they are doing it in such a way that almost no one else is.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Great news, Kenichiro Yoshida the actual CEO of Sony (who replaced the great Kaz) knows the importance of Gaming

The way he said makes me think that Sony (corp.) is fully backing SIE on their next acquisitions.

I'm curious to see if they'll receive something like this to spend out there:
www.theguardian.com

Sony buys EMI Music Publishing for $2.3bn

Deal will create world’s biggest music publisher with a catalogue of more than 4m songs

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
He is marketing guy, he knows everything about the markets in Europe, Africa and Middle East.

He is the right personto be the CEO of a company.

The marketing have been on point ever since Jim became the marketing boss at playstation this generation.
Add to that a sucessufull chokehold over European market for many many years and dude have cleary the makings of a great CEO.

Oct 27, 2017
What's MS' role in SO?

Are they able to prevent a port on PS4?
Publishing rights, so yeah Sony would need Microsoft's cooperation to make that happen.

Did I dream it or did Insomniac get the full rights to Sunset Overdrive back a few months ago? I feel like the publishing rights expired or they specifically bought them from MS or something like that.

Personally I would like to see them take a punt on Ready at Dawn over Housemarque, but I'm probably in the minority with that.

I'd like to see Sony invest in a couple of smaller devs they could grow, and Housemarque/Arrowhead are good candidates in my opinion.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are looking at the wrong studios and need to think outside the box and find studios that fit the First, Best, Must criteria.

Hello Games will be one of them.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
The way he said makes me think that Sony (corp.) is fully backing SIE on their next acquisitions.
Yeah, the way I read it is that Sony won't be reluctant to invest to strengthen their position (like they did last year with the purchase of EMI for $2.3B not including their debts, and not counting the stakes left that Michael Jackson's estate owned)

Edit : lol we were thinking the same

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I hope this means that discussions in this topic will be more positive now, considering things have been stagnant if not outright negative for months. I also hope that Insomniac will develop an FPS again as it's definitely a genre in which Sony lacks and they have solid experience.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if that would be up to MS. There's been a clear difference in the money Sony is willing to use to fund an acquisition vs MS.

I'm not sure I follow. We'll never really know how much they are paying for the studios, but both are throwing out the big bucks.

I do think Sony spent more on Insomniac than MS did the likes of Ninja Theory or Double Fine. (Although we do know MS spent millions buying the Psychonauts IP back).

Insomniac feels like a Playground Games level acquisition. Sony's next might be Obsidian level if it's RaD or HouseMarque or even Remedy.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Also, I hope this means that discussions in this topic will be more positive now, considering things have been stagnant if not outright negative for months. I also hope that Insomniac will develop an FPS again as it's definitely a genre in which Sony lacks and they have solid experience.
You're drunk if you don't think that a new Resistance is in the works.

It's happening dammit. It's got to.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
Quite frankly I don't see Microsoft letting that happen. Acquisitions imo require prior history.
Remedy doesn't seem to have ended their relation with MS very well, if the GI 100 quick fire questions are to be believed. Plus Sony has had people visit Remedy recently (like Shu Yoshida), and Sam Lake has said previously they appreciate Sony's efforts to keep narrative games alive.

Not to mention Control has PS4 time-exclusive content.

I don't like the consolidation that seems to be happening in the industry, but Remedy's a good fit for Sony.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insomniac putting out those AAA and VR games. Huge get.

Status
Not open for further replies.