• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Just out of curiosity which would y'all prefer for Sony to pick up?

1) Bluepoint, Supermasive, Remedy, RAD and Housemarque

or

2) Capcom

I'm quite certain Capcom would still be significantly more expensive than all of those combined, but I'm curious if people would view a Capcom purchase as being more valuable to PS than all of those other devs combined.

I also saw some people floating about the idea of a Bungie acquisition ever since Shawn Layden talked about being open to putting some MP games on other platforms. Bungie's a mammoth studio so they'd have to stay multiplat to make it worth it, but I'm wondering if there's any desire at all on Bungie's part to be acquired considering their history with MS and also with Activision. If Sony were to be hands off and let them do their own thing while still providing them with the financial and technical backing of WWS then I suppose I could see that being appealing, but I don't know if it'd be appealing enough to Bungie.
I don't see why Capcom would sell to anyone.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think buying IP powehouses (by anyone) like Capcom is not a good thing as there are IPs better suited for certain ecosystems.

Also the internet would be unbearable until the end of gaming.

True, I just view them as a one stop shop for Sony to pick up a buttload of valuable IP and talented devs. A lot of their games would also add more diversity to the WWS first party lineup.

I don't see why Capcom would sell to anyone.

I won't pretend to know what it'd take for Capcom to agree to this. I do wonder if there's risk though, because what if putting a bid on Capcom triggers a bidding war with other companies like MS or Google? Sony could either wind up paying way more than they initially wanted to, or drive Capcom into the arms of someone who's willing to pay more and lose out on the multi-plat titles they would've otherwise had.

Again, not gonna pretend to know the full ramifications of this proposition. I just think it'd be a great get if it could be pulled off.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Just out of curiosity which would y'all prefer for Sony to pick up?

1) Bluepoint, Supermasive, Remedy, RAD and Housemarque

or

2) Capcom

I'm quite certain Capcom would still be significantly more expensive than all of those combined, but I'm curious if people would view a Capcom purchase as being more valuable to PS than all of those other devs combined.

I also saw some people floating about the idea of a Bungie acquisition ever since Shawn Layden talked about being open to putting some MP games on other platforms. Bungie's a mammoth studio so they'd have to stay multiplat to make it worth it, but I'm wondering if there's any desire at all on Bungie's part to be acquired considering their history with MS and also with Activision. If Sony were to be hands off and let them do their own thing while still providing them with the financial and technical backing of WWS then I suppose I could see that being appealing, but I don't know if it'd be appealing enough to Bungie.
A bit to unpack here. First, I don't think it's in anyone's interest to have publishers like Capcom get eaten up. I think games like MHW, DMC5 and RE2 are getting green lit because they have 3 strong platforms to sell on. If there is to be more games like that, I think they need to stay on their current path. Not become an exclusive multi division developer.

Second, I don't think it's in anyone's interest to have those developers you list become exclusive unless certain conditions are met, such as:
1. They are about to be purchased by Google, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, or Nintendo and such purchase would end that developer's games coming to PlayStation.
2. Sony actually has a plan for that developer. Meaning that they have games in mind that fit the developer's goals and Sony's portfolio. It's in no ones interest for Sony to buy developers only to have them make games exclusive solely so someone else couldn't have those games.

With those conditions being pre cursors, I would say it's unlikely that many of those developers align with that. Sony has already shown that they have no idea what to do with Supermassive. They get a cult hit with Until Dawn which definitely sold well enough to warrant a sequel. Yet, they green light a bad spin-off of it for VR and a really bad FPS for VR, meanwhile Bandai Namco of all publishers sees the potential and swoops in to sign them. Man of Medan is exactly what we wanted after Until Dawn. I'm not confident in Sony's foresight with regards to Supermassive right now. They definitely would be one of the two that I would pick up if I were Sony though. Just make sure you know what you are doing with them.

Ready at Dawn is certainly capable of making the game that Sony wants, but The Order was just not wholesome enough. I don't know if they would add too much to Sony and I don't know if Sony adds anything to them. They might be better off elsewhere.

Remedy is a good match but they seem to be in good shape and not need Sony to accomplish their goals. However, it's hard to downplay how well they match up with what Sony does right now. A third person shooter with a strong narrative element is perfect for Sony. I can't deny that they would be stellar as an addition. But I don't desire to see their games be taken away from Xbox or PC unless they are going to shut down and need a corporate giant like Sony to save them.

Bluepoint is great, but we need to see an original game from them first. Probably keep the idea of purchasing them on stand by. Talented as hell though.

Housemarque is too good for this world. They have a world class gameplay design team and animations are state of the art. I would kill to see their twin stick shooter elements in a AAA game. If Sony could provide them the resources to make the games they want, I would love to see them purchased. A AAA FPS or TPS by them are you kidding me? Fuck yes that would be awesome. This imo would be the other studio Sony should get if the opportunity arises.

As far as Bungie is concerned, just...no. They want to do GaaS with Destiny for a long time. They want cross play and cross save and no exclusive content. They also probably want to be on as many platforms as possible. Exclusivity would be bad for their situation.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
A bit to unpack here. First, I don't think it's in anyone's interest to have publishers like Capcom get eaten up. I think games like MHW, DMC5 and RE2 are getting green lit because they have 3 strong platforms to sell on. If there is to be more games like that, I think they need to stay on their current path. Not become an exclusive multi division developer.

Second, I don't think it's in anyone's interest to have those developers you list become exclusive unless certain conditions are met, such as:
1. They are about to be purchased by Google, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, or Nintendo and such purchase would end that developer's games coming to PlayStation.
2. Sony actually has a plan for that developer. Meaning that they have games in mind that fit the developer's goals and Sony's portfolio. It's in no ones interest for Sony to buy developers only to have them make games exclusive solely so someone else couldn't have those games.

With those conditions being pre cursors, I would say it's unlikely that many of those developers align with that. Sony has already shown that they have no idea what to do with Supermassive. They get a cult hit with Until Dawn which definitely sold well enough to warrant a sequel. Yet, they green light a bad spin-off of it for VR and a really bad FPS for VR, meanwhile Bandai Namco of all publishers sees the potential and swoops in to sign them. Man of Medan is exactly what we wanted after Until Dawn. I'm not confident in Sony's foresight with regards to Supermassive right now. They definitely would be one of the two that I would pick up if I were Sony though. Just make sure you know what you are doing with them.

Ready at Dawn is certainly capable of making the game that Sony wants, but The Order was just not wholesome enough. I don't know if they would add too much to Sony and I don't know if Sony adds anything to them. They might be better off elsewhere.

Remedy is a good match but they seem to be in good shape and not need Sony to accomplish their goals. However, it's hard to downplay how well they match up with what Sony does right now. A third person shooter with a strong narrative element is perfect for Sony. I can't deny that they would be stellar as an addition. But I don't desire to see their games be taken away from Xbox or PC unless they are going to shut down and need a corporate giant like Sony to save them.

Bluepoint is great, but we need to see an original game from them first. Probably keep the idea of purchasing them on stand by. Talented as hell though.

Housemarque is too good for this world. They have a world class gameplay design team and animations are state of the art. I would kill to see their twin stick shooter elements in a AAA game. If Sony could provide them the resources to make the games they want, I would love to see them purchased. A AAA FPS or TPS by them are you kidding me? Fuck yes that would be awesome. This imo would be the other studio Sony should get if the opportunity arises.

As far as Bungie is concerned, just...no. They want to do GaaS with Destiny for a long time. They want cross play and cross save and no exclusive content. They also probably want to be on as many platforms as possible. Exclusivity would be bad for their situation.

Thanks for the great reply!

Regarding Capcom, if Shawn Layden is serious about putting some multiplayer games on other platforms then that could leave the door open to having games like MHW be multi-plat while allowing Sony to keep some of the desirable single player titles to bolster their lineup. My thinking is that Sony needs to go from 2 large AAA titles a year to 4, so 1 every quarter. Insomniac will of course help there but they need more and with a single Capcom purchase that should give them all they would need.

Valid points on the other devs, and I think it would be great for Sony to give those devs the same sort of freedom they're giving their current studios to do what they want.

Regarding Bungie, yeah I 100% agree that making them exclusive would not work at all given their size and type of game they make. That's where Shawn Laydens talk about putting some MP games on other platforms comes into play. They could let Destiny (or whatever else Bungie makes) stay on other platforms and Bungie would get the benefit of having WWS's funding and support infrastructure behind them. I guess the only question there would be how much money does Destiny really make and would Sony see a good ROI given the amount of money they'd likely have to shell out (all assuming both parties are even interested, of course).

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Thanks for the great reply!

Regarding Capcom, if Shawn Layden is serious about putting some multiplayer games on other platforms then that could leave the door open to having games like MHW be multi-plat while allowing Sony to keep some of the desirable single player titles to bolster their lineup. My thinking is that Sony needs to go from 2 large AAA titles a year to 4, so 1 every quarter. Insomniac will of course help there but they need more and with a single Capcom purchase that should give them all they would need.

Valid points on the other devs, and I think it would be great for Sony to give those devs the same sort of freedom they're giving their current studios to do what they want.

Regarding Bungie, yeah I 100% agree that making them exclusive would not work at all given their size and type of game they make. That's where Shawn Laydens talk about putting some MP games on other platforms comes into play. They could let Destiny (or whatever else Bungie makes) stay on other platforms and Bungie would get the benefit of having WWS's funding and support infrastructure behind them. I guess the only question there would be how much money does Destiny really make and would Sony see a good ROI given the amount of money they'd likely have to shell out (all assuming both parties are even interested, of course).
I just don't see the point in buying giant publishers/developers like that if they are just going to keep making multiplatform titles though. And I'm not saying that I want Capcom or Destiny to become exclusive. It just seems kinda pointless. You just add overhead cost and don't really gain anything tangible. You were getting those games anyway. And Capcom doesn't exactly seem like they are struggling for resources to build better games. There is no need for anyone to purchase them.

Same thing with Bungie. Just let them make their wide audience shooter with constant content updates for all platforms. No need for Sony to take that headache on.

And as for AAA count, Sony doesn't need a quota but they are already close to that on a yearly basis. I know people don't consider MLB The Show a core game because it doesn't appeal to core gamer sensibilities. But they have that, Days Gone, and Death Stranding for this year. That's 3 for the year. Last year they had MLB, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, Detroit, and Spider-Man. 2017 had Horizon, MLB, Uncharted: TLL, Knack 2, and GT Sport. 2016 had Ratchet & Clank, MLB, Uncharted 4, and The Last Guardian. 2015 had MLB, The Order, Bloodborne, and Until Dawn. So as you can see, they've been at this quantity of output for some time now.

And as far as Sony's goals go for output, they've already stated that they want "fewer, larger games." But I think close to 4 AAA a year is still possible, especially if another acquisition or two is in the works. Assuming Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 come out next year, they are already at 4 with MLB and Predator. And there's no doubt going to be another exclusive or 2 at PS5 launch.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, hopefully that wont have any negative consequences on Sony and Marvel's deal regarding Spider-Man games https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-...nter-soldier-tom-rothman-bob-iger-1202672545/

this may why Sony bought insomniac
because maybe Disney will try work with them + give them the licenses and try publish the game in many platforms
because they were independent and did great game
and there is no reason to back to Sony after the partnership end in movie division between Sony and Disney
so they make ensure to not release a sequel to other platform from the same developer
so Sony then bought insomniac
Just guesses
We will see if that thing will effect this in future

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Welp, hopefully that wont have any negative consequences on Sony and Marvel's deal regarding Spider-Man games https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-...nter-soldier-tom-rothman-bob-iger-1202672545/
No matter what happens in the future, Spider-Man 2, the direct sequel, is safe. The contract for that game is certain to have already been made and signed months ago, and probably a big reason why the Insomniac acquisition happened. After that game, it becomes a little more unclear. If Marvel really wanted to, they could probably find a loophole or clause to void the rest of their contract for the Spider-Man games but that is highly highly unlikely, since Marvel Studios and Marvel Games, along with Sony Pictures and SIE operate mostly independently

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
that doesn't make sense. the deal for spiderman playstation wasn't ever made public was it? we don't know what is in it or not. disney owns marvel games. they could easily be petty and throw sony off of the spiderman games after all this.

The deal for the games is with Marvel GAMES and SIE.

The movie stuff is Disney & Sony Pictures.

The movie rights and game rights are separate.

SIE & Marvel Games have a deal separate from the movie deal.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Damn shame if that Awaekning info is fake, it sounds pretty damn great. The thing that's throwing me off is the three real time days, how to track that without making the game online only?

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
New job listings from Sony:

UX Designer
Software Engineer II (1)
Software Engineer II (2)
Software Development Engineer in Test, Contract
Senior Manager Global Brand Marketing (1)
Senior Manager Global Brand Marketing (2)
Senior Director, Business Operations- Consumer Experience
Security Analyst
Manager, Payment Operations Americas
Group Manager, Global Services Product Marketing
Group Manager: Global PlayStation Store Product Marketing
Director, Global Payments
Business Analyst / Product Owner (Contract Position)

Producer (Bend studio)
Pipeline Technical Artist (Bend studio)
Senior Build and Tools Engineer (Bend studio)
Senior Staff FX Artist (Bend studio)
Senior Staff Engine Programmer (Bend studio)
Senior Sound Designer (Bend studio)
Following the success of Days Gone, we are seeking a Senior Sound Designer to join our in-house sound team as we raise the bar even higher and create world-class audio content for 1st party product development projects.
Rigging Technical Artist
We are seeking a Technical Artist who will contribute to the artistic vision and development of a AAA product with a specialized focus on creating character articulation assets, art tools, techniques, and processes for game development.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, will we see a new Ratchet & Clank game in 2020, or did Spider-Man and VR projects take too much resources away for that? I haven't played any other games from the series, but the 2016 "reboot" was the most fun I've had on PS4.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Following the success of Days Gone

That's great, but how many exactly... >_<

At least they ought to have their own motion capture studio.

Right?

EDIT:

we are seeking a Senior Sound Designer to join our in-house sound team as we raise the bar even higher and create world-class audio content for 1st party product development projects.

That's awesome.

The sound effects in Days Gone are on par with The Last of Us in my opinion; gun shots, grenades, explosions, reloading, etc.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, will we see a new Ratchet & Clank game in 2020, or did Spider-Man and VR projects take too much resources away for that? I haven't played any other games from the series, but the 2016 "reboot" was the most fun I've had on PS4.

It depends how involved Insomniac North Carolina were with Spider-Man. I'd imagine the Burbank studio did the vast majority of the work, so NC have probably been chipping away at a new Ratchet for a while.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
because maybe Disney will try work with them + give them the licenses and try publish the game in many platforms
and there is no reason to back to Sony after the partnership end in movie division between Sony and Disney
so they make ensure to not release a sequel to other platform from the same developer
Just guesses

So Sony bought them because they were about to make a MP Spider-Man sequel? Lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Just guesses
They bought them primarily because MS and Google are hungry for talent and losing Insomniac would be a pretty big blow at this point.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I'm pretty confident neither Shawn Layden nor Jim Ryan are aware that negotiations about the film rights for Spidey were breaking down lol.

These companies are far, far more disconnected than you'd think.

I think it's more likely they wouldn't even care to ask because it doesn't truly matter to them. Much the same way most regular people should think about Marvel properties.

kingkenny76

Oct 31, 2017
Resistance reboot, with a solid mp at 60fps.

All over my face.
giphy.gif

I'd love to see it rebooted like a proper Borderlands style co-op looter shooter RPG with skill tree etc but more of a serious Resistance tone.
They already had the crazy weapons (R3 had the best IMO) and nobody else seems to be able to copy the formula correctly yet.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac is great with their weapons/gadgets in their games. Resistance, Ratchet and Spidey are all excellent in that respect and I hear Sunset Overdrive is similar in that regard. I'd totally get a remaster/remake/sequel to Resistance for sure.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
I'm more interested in how the purchase of AudioKinetic is going to affect future games on PS5. I know they mentioned it in their PS5 post about wanting to have better audio but I don't know how some games can get better(if that makes sense)?

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My list of Studio Acquisitions that could be possible:

Ready at Dawn
I'm surprised that people don't don't think RAD is a good fit for Sony or don't fit the mold of FIRST, MUST, BEST.
They're the first studio to show us how good in the graphics department this generation can get, they are a must have studio for VR and a can be argued they are best in graphics. They have a history with Sony with a similar history to Bluepoint by bringing Sony franchises to handheld instead of remaking them.

Bluepoint Games
They have made 2 non-PS games since they've founded in 2006 which was the Titanfall port to XB360 and MGS HD Collection on XB360. They are the best at remaking/remasters and have a great engine they have built which can be seen with the Nathan Drake Collection and Shadow of the Colossus. The studio's first original IP is a must have.

Housemarque
Housemarque are the best at what they do and with Stormdivers being a multiplayer game, it's something which Sony want.

Kojima Productions
I think Sony will buy them if Death Stranding sells well.

From Software
Probably want to purchase them before Microsoft/Google does

Supermassive
They have made so many different games for Sony from VR to Playlink to regular games.

Capcom
In my eyes this could be a purchase that is very beneficial not just for PlayStation but for Sony as well with Movie rights. Capcom are the best in what they do with RE engine being a very good looking engine in 3D and VR. A very expensive buy as they have a market cap over 3.5 billion USD. If streaming is the future, Capcom is probably one of the best publishers to purchase because of their rich history and multiple development studios.

I don't think Remedy is being looked at yet as they don't have much history with Sony yet but this could change in the next generation. Bungie relationship was only there because of Activision and probably don't want to be controlled by anyone.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I'm more interested in how the purchase of AudioKinetic is going to affect future games on PS5. I know they mentioned it in their PS5 post about wanting to have better audio but I don't know how some games can get better(if that makes sense)?
They want 3D audio and available for all devices you already owned

Status
Not open for further replies.