• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
At least in Resistance it made sense, the world being devastated by war and Chimeran activity. Resistance 3 was intentionally drab, yet there are some colorful (whitish) levels toward the end. If it was updated to HDR, for example, or PS3 wasn't restricting its graphics so much, it could be a pleasing aesthetic to look at.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
You know what would make a nice antidote to all that green monotony?

45877.jpg

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
At least in Resistance it made sense, the world being devastated by war and Chimeran activity. Resistance 3 was intentionally drab, yet there are some colorful (whitish) levels toward the end. If it was updated to HDR, for example, or PS3 wasn't restricting its graphics so much, it could be a pleasing aesthetic to look at.
Plus people complained R2 was "too colorful" after complaining R1 had no color. Rofl

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Have you ever played Resistance 3 ?

It has a lot of different enemy types.

I did and it was a lot better than the first two games, but the series finally hit it's stride when the interest in the franchise was mostly gone. And even then, the series high was nothing game changing. Resistance 3 was very overlooked though, and that is because it was bogged down by being the third installment in a series that just didn't click with players and lacked long lasting appeal (even by 2011 those kinds of FPS games felt tired due to the amount made).

Resistance is an IP that belongs in the same barrel as Heavenly Sword and The Getaway, as in IPs that were never strong, have no real identity, and lack marketability.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, Resistance Burning Skies even sold more than Gravity Rush 1+2?
I see what you did. I completely forgot about that title as well as Retribution but maybe. Idk sales figures on those because I was speaking about console releases but you could be right.
Well, for one thing, I'd bet my life that the Gravity Rush games didn't cost as much to develop as Resistance, and two, Japan Studio doesn't have the hugely successful likes of Ratchet & Clank and Spider-Man taking up all their resources.
That's true but I think Insomniac has earned the right to work on whatever they want to just like other Sony studios, don't you agree? I think Sony would come to the same conclusion and so would Insomniac.

Karamina

Apr 10, 2018
for me, at this moment :

S Tier : Naughty God, Santa Monica, Insomniac

Top Tier : Guerrilla, Sucker Punch

Mid Tier : Japan Studio, Polyphony, Media Molecule

Low Tier : Sony Bend

Shakerovic

Apr 26, 2019
Keep dreaming people we all know it's mainly gonna be Spiderman for Insomniac with Ratchet on the side, atleast in the near future

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I've sort of changed my stance on the next Ratchet and Clank. I originally thought it was going to be a cross gen PS4/PS5 game (which may VERY likely be the case), but after Shawn calling it a "vital" franchise..... it may just very well be used as a tech showcase for PS5 and be fully exclusive.

I knew the series was still a focus for Sony even though their other recent series have been massive productions, but the vibe I got from the quote made it sound like the next Ratchet was going to be a prominent release and much more important to them than the 2016 game. And it being a launch exclusive for the PS5 is the only way that makes sense.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Yep.

Shimokawa-san works also now as director at Japan Studio 4:11

If Bluepoint Games was going to remake The Legend of Dragoon as long-term project like FFVII he would be the right person to re-write the story for The Legend of Dragoon.

Still, he is only a director which is below creative director (they lead projects at Japan Studio).
Just so you know... Shimokawa is a game director, not just a director. As there is no such things as a simple director. Also...

It is not exactly that (regarding the directors positions in a AAA game studio). All directors in a studio are more or less on the same level when it comes to decision making. You have all kind of directors usually on bit AAA games:

Creative Director (directs the narrative experience and context in which the player will encounter puzzles or enemies. In general, that person is in charge of the experience the player has with the game. Often works in tandem with GD and AD.)
Game Director (directs all the gameplay moments, from the mechanics to the levels design)
Animation Director (pretty obvious, also works with AD for coherence with the art direction. Works with GD when it comes to animating game mechanics)
Technical Director (directs the elements that may affect the performance or visuals of the game. Usually work with AD and GD to balance said things out)
Art Director (direct all artistic visual elements of the game, from the character design to the Visual effects)
And so on...

It's their collaboration that ensure the cohesiveness and quality across the whole project.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, I meant to say gameplay wise. No question it's a big franchise for Sony!

Most GOTY's for 2016 really isn't that impressive, competition that year wasn't what it was for 2015, 2017 for example.

top-games-2016-image.jpg

dims
They've pretty much perfected it by 4, not a whole lot to evolve the gameplay.
Also I like more in that 2016 pic than the 2017 one (though it doesn't have one of 2017's best games, Yakuza 0), that's a poor way to try and make a point about a weak year. It was much better than 2015 too, lower peaks, sure, but 2015 was carried hard by Bloodborne and TW3.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
They've pretty much perfected it by 4, not a whole lot to evolve the gameplay.
Also I like more in that 2016 pic than the 2017 one (though it doesn't have one of 2017's best games, Yakuza 0), that's a poor way to try and make a point about a weak year. It was much better than 2015 too, lower peaks, sure, but 2015 was carried hard by Bloodborne and TW3.
4 had superb gameplay, just not enough of it. No game since for me has been able to replicate that feeling of being on an adventure. The way they told the story of Henry Avery and his pirates was sublime.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
4 had superb gameplay, just not enough of it. No game since for me has been able to replicate that feeling of being on an adventure. The way they told the story of Henry Avery and his pirates was sublime.
Oh, I agree, they perfected the playing a action movie loop with 4 and it just felt great.
Loved Avery's story too. His descent into madness has some of the best environmental story telling you'll find imo.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Plus people complained R2 was "too colorful" after complaining R1 had no color. Rofl
Yeah, Killzone went through something similar from 2 to 3 and afterwards. It seems every time there's a significant change in a series, part of your fan base is going to take it badly. And it's okay to disagree or dislike it, but some people feel so irate, like they're holding a grudge for years against developers, etc. Most threads about Death Stranding, for example, are essentially about that, which is quite sad.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Oh, I agree, they perfected the playing a action movie loop with 4 and it just felt great.
Loved Avery's story too. His descent into madness has some of the best environmental story telling you'll find imo.
Yep. ND might be the best at environmental storytelling. I get goosebumps every time during the dinner table scene and also when you find libertalia as well as the treasury building. God I wanna replay UC4 now lol

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. ND might be the best at environmental storytelling. I get goosebumps every time during the dinner table scene and also when you find libertalia as well as the treasury building. God I wanna replay UC4 now lol
I'm planning on doing a big Naughty Dog games playthrough leading up to TLoU 2 release, but have been thinking of speeding it up, still only playthrough U4 once.
Has anyone tried calling Dreams, Concrete Genie or Ironman VR "cinematic GotY/award bait" yet?
I've seen someone try and dumb down Concrete Genie to just a single player action/adventure game. He unsurprisingly didn't list the other 2.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
I've sort of changed my stance on the next Ratchet and Clank. I originally thought it was going to be a cross gen PS4/PS5 game (which may VERY likely be the case), but after Shawn calling it a "vital" franchise..... it may just very well be used as a tech showcase for PS5 and be fully exclusive.

I knew the series was still a focus for Sony even though their other recent series have been massive productions, but the vibe I got from the quote made it sound like the next Ratchet was going to be a prominent release and much more important to them than the 2016 game. And it being a launch exclusive for the PS5 is the only way that makes sense.

Now that you said this, you are right. Rachet and Clank might end up being a launch game for the ps5

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Oh, I meant to say gameplay wise. No question it's a big franchise for Sony!

Most GOTY's for 2016 really isn't that impressive, competition that year wasn't what it was for 2015, 2017 for example.

top-games-2016-image.jpg

dims

For me, the holy trinity of Overwatch, Uncharted 4 and The Last Guardian rendered 2017 an inferior year in comparison.

But then I never played Dream Daddy, so what do I know.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
for me, at this moment :

S Tier : Naughty God, Santa Monica, Insomniac

Top Tier : Guerrilla, Sucker Punch

Mid Tier : Japan Studio, Polyphony, Media Molecule

Low Tier : Sony Bend
Saw Insomniac in that list and my first thought was correcting you that it isn't a Sony studio, it's so weird to think it is now lol.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine how realistic the fur on Ratchet will look on PS5... All the furries will have to buy the Playstation 5 then.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Sooooo.....

9ccdbf23eb72dd0491a60c6d5d5df6442eacdc46_hq.gif

EqualSpiritedDegu-size_restricted.gif

db9446069cf7f7501bbea313186133982016bcd0_hq.gif

Man, R3 was such a great game and what a comeback after R2. Does anyone remember that hilarious still from R2 (I think it was R2) where it looked like a Google Maps capture with a huge tower slap bang the middle? Shit was hilarious at the time.

Anyway, can we please have another?
Remember when Ted Price actually made that video statement to tell us that they were done with Resistance.....that was a bit weird,why make it so final like that.I hope they revive it one day,they were really onto something with the third game.

DeathyG

Oct 27, 2017
NW Indiana
Dreams won best game of the show? That's awesome, MM already racking up the hardware!

Can't wait for the full release, the VR stuff alone should be mind-blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.