• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Do we actually have data of this or did Phil say something for PR purposes that you cant quantify without a parallel universe? Do we even know what methodology he used?
It didn't come from just Phil. The NPD guy that used to be here mentioned it (Benji mentioned it as well, but I'm not sure if it was his conclusion or he was just sourcing him as well)
20 bucks for a single game.
With 20 bucks a few days ago you could get how many GP months ? Giving you access to how many games ?
With 20 bucks today you can have access to how many games, including lots of MS 1P games ? I know that at PSN you can grab Horizon Zero Dawn a 2017 game with it DLC.
I don't get it why are comparing one single game being on sale with a subscription that gives you access to over 200 games.
Obviously if you are paying to "have" a backlog of 200 games games you are inclined to not spent on new ones.
I agree with what you said that they started this before, and it was not with Now instead it was with Plus, and as I said I don't think they shouldn't try new ways to engage players. The thing is : they don't have follow MS route. And that's what you are asking.
You ask me what route I think they should go : follow EA Access route but not with the same time spam.
Create a new service or an upgraded version of their owns, give players a discount on their games day one, create a vault with both 3P and their 1P older games and add their games games without a fixed schedule or pattern so people can't jump into the "not buying this because I know it will hit PS++/PS Now+ soon" mentality.
Also if you are a FIFA player you should know why people still buy it even if it's going to hit Access at some point. I am one, last year I missed the day one bought for the first time since FIFA10. I had the opportunity to jump into it for US15 earlier this year, ask me if I did? No I didn't because it was not worth it anymore. If you are a FIFA player, if you are an UT player or you go day one or it's not even worth it, unless you are willing to spend lots on FIFA coins. And EA knows that.
I'm not comparing the value between one game or few months of GP. I mentioned it just to show most people don't wait 6-12 months to play the game they want even if it meant spending 30-40 bucks more. The same goes for PS Now if 1st party games were offered there 6-12 months after release.

I don't believe it's proven that a service offering 200 games reduce the number of games bought by people. PS is not just competing with MS. They're competing with other forms of entertainment as well for the time of the consumers. Phil mentioned that people with GP tend to spend more not less on games.

I changed the Fifa example to FH because I felt it was better since it's not a yearly franchise. But to answer your question your example is anecdotal. Fifa in general is growing which is what I'm talking about (same for Horizon which is not yearly and you can jump in anytime).

It doesn't have to be fixed, I agree. Surprise people with the game with different period for each game. The point is Sony needs to offer their 1st party games and putting them 3-4 years after release isn't gonna cut it.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Do we actually have data of this or did Phil say something for PR purposes that you cant quantify without a parallel universe? Do we even know what methodology he used?

The thing about this statement is that it was a really smart one dropped with a perfect timing with the perfect title.
Spencer did it referring to FH4 when FH is probably their only growing IP this gen. So yeah I think it's reasonable to say that FH had better sales than it's previous game...but it really was because of GP or it was because of FH already a growing IP?
The truth is that anyone trying to put numbers on GP impact over sales at this point is just jumping to conclusions. Doesn't matter if positive or negative ones.
There is simply no way to measure the impact of subscription services based in one title and more importantly there is no way to measure the impact of subscription services with such a small life spam and userbase as it's with GamePass.
I mean if giving access to games trough subscription services help sales how on earth is not everyone on earth begging to Sony to put their games on Plus ? Or how on earth is Sony missing this opportunity? PS Plus is the biggest subscription service on the market by a large, LARGE, margin.
People have to understand one thing : games goes to subscription services when they can't sell themselves alone.

Alpha_ulquiorra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It didn't come from just Phil. The NPD guy that used to be here mentioned it (Benji mentioned it as well, but I'm not sure if it was his conclusion or he was just sourcing him as well)
It came from Phil. If he was just using FH3 as a base then used FH4 like the user above me stated then that's disingenuous AF

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is really coming to! Played some great levels and even mini games!
Can't wait to see the bigger games. A lot of people/fans are already "working" very hard. There is some nice stuff coming :)
The only real difference is their place of origin. Microsoft wanted to create TV shows based upon games that weren't established, while it seems like Sony wants to create games based upon movie properties and maybe vice versa that have been established already. It's a situation that mirrors how DC and Marvel had different executions of establishing their cinematic universes and how they were opposites. That's how I look at it, maybe that perception is wrong.
The real difference is that Microsoft's Quantum Break TV idea impacted the game and Remedy. The TV show and the game were ONE big project. There is a reason why Remedy isn't super friendly with Microsoft anymore. Sony's "PlayStation Productions" unit is its own thing. No game "in active development" is tied to it. They just wanna use some PlayStation IPs to create TV series and movies, without hindering a game/project in active development. Without forcing a studio to create a game alongside the movie/series. For example one of the first projects will be a Twisted Metal TV series, if the rumors are true. The only project comparable with the Quantum Break project was the last Ratchet & Clank game/movie thingy. And that wasn't even really a Sony movie.

But let's get back on topic.
Again: Remedy is a great studio. Very talented and they have a great tech team. All they need is more time, a bigger budget and SIE's resources/support to create a really great singleplayer game again. Control looks nice. Really nice for such a "small" budget. But hey, let's see what happens. So far, nothing happened and they are "just" a multiplatform dev now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Slow news days lately so I was just pondering, we know Naughty Dog are considered Sony's "crown jewel" studio, but where would y'all fit Insomniac into their family? Would you consider them on the same level of a Naughty Dog? SSM? GG? Could Insomniac become the new prestige studio if they were added?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Slow news days lately so I was just pondering, we know Naughty Dog are considered Sony's "crown jewel" studio, but where would y'all fit Insomniac into their family? Would you consider them on the same level of a Naughty Dog? SSM? GG? Could Insomniac become the new prestige studio if they were added?

Realistically, no one in the industry is really Naughty Dog level. Over the past 10 years they've had three GotY winners. No one else has more than one.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. There is Naughty Dog, then Sony Santa Monica, then Guerrilla Games and after that I would take Sucker Punch together with Insomniac Games. But hey, they aren't a Sony studio.... yet.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
ND>SSM>GG=Insomniac
Sucker Punch at first

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

To me it would be SSM = ND > Insomniac = GG

But Insomniac released 3 console games this gen, and a VR game. That's a big advantage.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Sony 1st party games price drop pretty quick in a year. I think it's reasonable to add older games to PSNow. Sony need to decide whether PS Now want to be a steaming service, or game subscription service like gamepass. I know it's both. but right now, people are dismissing PS Now streaming as outdated nowhere as good as MS and Google solution. and many people still don't know that you can download ps4 games now and are not stuck with streaming.

so Sony really need to either greatly improve their streaming tech and get the word out. or Sony could focus on the download games subscription aspect like Gamepass. focus on getting more ps4 games whether it's indie games or older ps4 titles, including 1st party games on PS Now download list.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
D-rRS9DUIAAeVqO.png

D-rRS9EU0AA9iw8.png

Last of Us 2
Feb 2020
Standard Edition, Special Edition, Collectors Edition, Ellie Edition

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
D-rRS9DUIAAeVqO.png

D-rRS9EU0AA9iw8.png

Last of Us 2
Feb 2020
Holy shit, I've been waiting for this for so long!! (As others have). But I know these will go incredibly quick, and I'll have to be right on the trigger. I wonder if Ellie edition will contain everything the other editions have. I don't want to feel pressed to buy more than 1 edition. Which I would never ever contemplate, but this is TLoU 2!!

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
D-rRS9DUIAAeVqO.png

D-rRS9EU0AA9iw8.png

Last of Us 2
Feb 2020
Zhuge is there any other info you can see or have been told, as to when we could hear an announcement? Usually these things come with a trailer, but it would give me an advanced notice when to be ready. I mean I'll have to put money in the bank!

Oct 25, 2017
D-rRS9DUIAAeVqO.png

D-rRS9EU0AA9iw8.png

Last of Us 2
Feb 2020

I wonder if 2020 was a release date based on dev time or just death stranding releasing in November.

Having said that, GOTY 2020 will be a literal bloodbath. If TLOU 2 released this year, it would have taken literally all the GOTYs lol.

Man, this gen going out with a fucking bang next year.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I wonder if 2020 was a release date based on dev time or just death stranding releasing in November.

Having said that, GOTY 2020 will be a literal bloodbath. If TLOU 2 released this year, it would have taken literally all the GOTYs lol.
It was based on that interview with Ashley Johnson where she slipped "Feb..." until she realized she was leaking stuff about TLOU pt 2.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Daaaaaaaaahhh, I missed all the fun with Zhuge & Part II!

At least, now all I need is confirmation, new gameplay trailers & maybe next State of Play.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
D-rRS9DUIAAeVqO.png

D-rRS9EU0AA9iw8.png

Last of Us 2
Feb 2020

Good to have more confirmation of that release date, seems pretty set on February by now. I just want to see more of it already. When is the next SoP Sony?? Ffs.

Wonder if TLoU will come out before or after the PS5 announcement...

Yeah I am wondering the same thing. Usually Sony does the PS Meeting thing for hardware reveals in January right? Or if they reveal the PS5 in this years PSX, it would be in December. In both cases it would be before the release of TLOU2. Interested to see how they handle all this. Maybe they will treat it like a straight up cross gen title.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Wonder if TLoU will come out before or after the PS5 announcement...

I think one or two weeks after. The launch trailer (or maybe a PS5 trailer) may appear on stage at the PS5 reveal event. Sony might start the event focusing on the PS4, talking about sales, games that still have to come out and etc, like they did on the PS4 event.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
What if the game's launch trailer is simultaneously also the game's PS5 reveal trailer?
I see you took care of the PS4 subreddit, I got the TLoU sub lol. Not even about anything for me besides informing the TLoU sub to "be prepared" because these will go quick. Not that I expect these to be announced tomorrow or anything though

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Like what the hell? TLoU2 releasing literally weeks before FFVIIR? Too close together, one needs to be moved up to Q2 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.