• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Uncharted could go on without Drake, if the new characters/story/gameplay, etc are good.

Rather than whoever replacing Drake & team, I more worried about gameplay & contents.

While shooting already great with U4 & TLL, I'm tired with slow sections from A to B & banters in between + looking clues or treasures something like that.

Create something new to it, innovate, evolve, don't let it be like Ascension where it's same old-same old.

EDIT:

CAPCOM did great with every Resident Evils keeping the traditions while evolving in terms of gameplay & contents, in my opinion.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The way it works in Japan Studio is that there are many creative-teams, but only a small pool of resources to take those projects into production.

Ueda and Toyama had to wait for resources that was delegated for Knack/Puppeteer to be released first before their project could go ahead into full production.

Oct 25, 2017
The way it works in Japan Studio is that there are many creative-teams, but only a small pool of resources to take those projects into production.

Ueda and Toyama had to wait for resources that was delegated for Knack/Puppeteer to be released first before their project could go ahead into full production.

That sucks. Sony clearly doesn't care much about their oldest studio. I thought the guy from Santa Monica was supposed to turj it around, but this generation was a mixed bag.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
That sucks. Sony clearly doesn't care much about their oldest studio. I thought the guy from Santa Monica was supposed to turj it around, but this generation was a mixed bag.

As far as I know - this is the compromise/middle-ground that they established as their turnaround. The studio keeps a similar structure to the old days where there are a fair amount of creative ideas being explored/etc in pre-production, but there are still only room for 3-4 projects concurrently at a time.

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know - this is the compromise/middle-ground that they established as their turnaround. The studio keeps a similar structure to the old days where there are a fair amount of creative ideas being explored/etc in pre-production, but there are still only room for 3-4 projects concurrently at a time.

So they will never make an AAA game? Do they not want to make them?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Uncharted game set in the 70s with young Sully let's go.
Obligatory Young Sully post.
tumblr_ouzrduqtDY1vgl7i5o2_500.jpg

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
I was watching the opening of Control last night. I think if Sony wants to buy Remedy, they should consider upgrading this studio big time! I mean beside Sam Lake and the lighting team, they need EVERYTHING! They have to hire some really good talents to shape their games. From gameplay, to writing and directing. They need huge upgrades if they want to make great first party games for Sony.

Control is made with a really small budget, i think someone said on Era that the budget of Control was 12M so obviously Remedy has to make some concessions. If i remember correctly even Quantum Break needed more budget, one of the employe of Remedy said their numbers of animators on Quantum Break were ridculiously small in comparison with a game like Uncharted 4.

Trn25

Banned
May 23, 2019
I am thinking Lost Legacy sales weren't that great, being affected by the mixed marketing message with the whole $40 thing. Personally I loved it but I wonder if Nathan was the protagonist you could probably add a couple of million sales to the existing number

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted without Drake just does not fee right.

I got the Platinum for Lost Legacy. I thought it more than held it's own.

That's my point tho, Sony may see UC as a game they need to keep making until ppl quit buying it. Which basically means they milked it till it became irrelevant.

As long as they innovate it can't be milked. Picture Uncharted "Next" where each weapon has deep customization that isn't just cosmetic but affects gameplay, Add to that Max Payne Esq Bullet time and the entire campaign is playable as a SP or couch / online co-op. Instead of fighting a rival treasure hunter your fighting terrorism and have the option to use a sword /switch blade for that up close and personal wet work.

Obviously that's just me adding gameplay mechanics and changing the narrative slightly. But if they managed to do something like that while still keeping the essence of what makes UC UC, then that's a different proposition entirely to "just" UC5.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I got the Platinum for Lost Legacy. I thought it more than held it's own.
I'm not hating on Chloe, I like her and I liked TLL. And I'm happy really liked the game, I know DriftingSpirit likes TLL way more than UC4.
I'm just saying that for me not having Nathan on an UC game does not feel the same. Is just something about is small quips, his humor and charisma that I felt missing.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Control is made with a really small budget, i think someone said on Era that the budget of Control was 12M so obviously Remedy has to make some concessions. If i remember correctly even Quantum Break needed more budget, one of the employe of Remedy said their numbers of animators on Quantum Break were ridculiously small in comparison with a game like Uncharted 4.
Problems that I saw in the first 13 mins of Control are not completely budget related. It had poor writing and dialogues. The pacing was really not great for an opening. The environment looks so generic. Aiming site is always on the screen, even when you are just walking! Gameplay is not exciting at all. There are unfixed issues from Quantum Break in this game. Budget isn't going to fix all of Remedy's flaws.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I am thinking Lost Legacy sales weren't that great, being affected by the mixed marketing message with the whole $40 thing. Personally I loved it but I wonder if Nathan was the protagonist you could probably add a couple of million sales to the existing number

It was also free for anyone who bought the digital deluxe or season pass for Uncharted 4.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Problems that I saw in the first 13 mins of Control are not completely budget related. It had poor writing and dialogues. The pacing was really not great for an opening. The environment looks so generic. Aiming site is always on the screen, even when you are just walking! Gameplay is not exciting at all. There are unfixed issues from Quantum Break in this game. Budget isn't going to fix all of Remedy's flaws.
I noticed this on a Gameinformer video. Can't say that I'm a fan.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
So they will never make an AAA game? Do they not want to make them?
Things have changed since 2017. They will never make many games at the same time again as sales have shown they failed. Shawn Layden noticed this failure and applies now to all studios to make few and larger games. It doesn't applies to only studios who have already done that since PS3.

Sony's Western titles have caught up in Japan and made Japan Studio's small games irrelevant this gen. Kouno's project they are excited about had to wait very long for full production until TLG was done in development. The producer teased at the end of 2016 to 4Gamer they had begun production on an ambitious title. Gravity Rush 2 went gold in Nov 2016. Only title they were waiting for to wrap up was Knack II did Allan Becker told IGN in June 2017. They will start up new titles for the future to use new technology. He didn't gave a precise number which is very interesting.

Mark Cerny said at E3 2017 that Japan Studio had now 250 people despite the hiring spree from 2016 and onwards. Sony is hiring every year now to fix this issue.

If you want results and new side of Sony's Japanese studios you have to wait until next gen. This gen was experimental and more about to cover up bases than deliver goods. Allan Becker started in April 2011 so he doesn't fix a mess over a night. He had Vita, PS3 and then came PS4 into account which showed him what did worked and what didn't worked.

First week in Japan
Freedom Wars 188,888
Bloodborne 152,567

As for current franchises
Gran Turismo Sport around 180k
Everybody's Golf around 99k

Everything else were below 90k and underwhelming performance. Never even made it to user's choice awards at PlayStation Awards. Japanese audience don't care enough about Sony's small Japanese games anymore. Ueda is done. Cellshading is done. Doll style is done. If WWS released a game like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 the audience wouldn't buy it and it would fail.

It's important to find the perfect balance for their Japanese games. It was easier to make Bloodborne with a Souls audience in mind, but for new titles it's very challenging to take risks towards Capcom, Square Enix, Tango Gameworks budgets.

krimsoncharge

Nov 4, 2017
The problem with uncharted without drake is going to be the marketing especially if the uncharted movie is happening. At best we might get an uncharted with young pre uc1 era drake.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not hating on Chloe, I like her and I liked TLL. And I'm happy really liked the game, I know DriftingSpirit likes TLL way more than UC4.
I'm just saying that for me not having Nathan on an UC game does not feel the same. Is just something about is small quips, his humor and charisma that I felt missing.

I understand that there are preferences but for me, when I played through TLL what was most apparent is that the Uncharted universe was bigger than "Drake." I know he is the main character but I had a blast playing through a game set in the UC Universe where he wasn't a factor. I think the success of that dlc probably buoyed the idea of keeping the UCU alive.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
why are people fixated on the gap in between games? If the quality remains high I'm all for it, I just don't want them to make these games for the sake of making them. It'd suck if they decided to stop at UC9 when the quality dictates the drop in sales.
Because when you have a 4 year wait between instalments, complaining of milking is rendered pointless.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

While I do agree that is hard to match Drake's charisma and humor in my opinion they can recover it by bringing another partner to Chloe or changing the MC.
Not shitting on Nadine or Chloe here, I loved them on TLL, but both characters have a much more serious tone than Drake.
If we had a Chloe and Sully or Cutter game I think a lot of humor would be back. But again "oh crap" it's hard to compete with Drake.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
Even though U4 is my favourite entry, TLL was a really great entry too!

I'm perfectly fine with Nathan not starring any longer. My wish is really to play as a young adult Cassie, who grows up to be, personality wise, a mix between Nate and Elena. Who sometimes interacts with her parents. But Nate doesn't have to be on screen a lot of the time for me to enjoy it.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I hope we get to know some day how many people played The Lost Legacy. This myth of the game no doing great must be put to bed. Besides, it's all budget-oriented. With a shorter production and the smaller team, it didn't need to sell as much as A Thief's End, in order to be regarded as a success.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I'm perfectly fine with Nathan not starring any longer. My wish is really to play as a young adult Cassie, who grows up to be, personality wise, a mix between Nate and Elena. Who sometimes interacts with her parents. But Nate doesn't have to be on screen a lot of the time for me to enjoy it.

Most definitely the direction I hope they go in.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
the real question is who will be the main protag for the next uncharted game. It's def not nathan and there def will be another uncharted. Probably be either sully or chloe or someone new entirely.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017

For some reason I think it would be weird to play as Cassie and then go around murdering people willy-nilly like Nathan did.

Status
Not open for further replies.