• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
So a new IP by them.

I mean, that was the Demons Souls cycle.

"Why would FROM work on a new Demon Souls, they already had Dark Souls, why would they make a new first-party game, they have other publishers lining up for projects, doesn't have to be a first-party publisher and limit their audience" -> "Oh, they're making a kinda Demon Souls except that it's Victorian and called Bloodborne"

Replace Demons Souls with Bloodborne and it's basically the same cycle.

I think it's starkly clear at this point that - FROM has many publishers more than willing to fund projects made by them, and even if Sony wanted to publish a new FROM game and they're open to it, they gotta wait in line. And it's a long wait unless you all want Bloodborne 2 - developed by Deck13.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Do we have any SoP hints from any insider?
This silence from Sony is getting ridiculous.
Sony did say later in the year so most probably in or after September. Maybe they're replacing their TGS showcase with this and Japan version of the broadcast will have some more games which are not releasing globally?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
At least we are at the homestretch. 6 months from now (which will go by fast thanks to school, holydays and Q3/Q4 games) well get the PS5 reveal.
source.gif

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I'm wondering why everyone acts like Sony didn't do anything the entire year. We had a SoP 2 months ago and a huge Death Stranding trailer with release date announcement only 6 weeks ago.
Just try and chill ;)

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
So is the first MLB The Show game AAA but all subsequent ones aren't?
Maybe? Uncharted 4 is an AAA, Uncharted The Lost Legacy isn't. It could be the same for MLB The Show.

The Show is as deep and polished a baseball game as NBA2K, FIFA, and Madden are to their respective sports. None of them have GTA-sized budgets, but they are indisputably the highest quality sports games out on the market currently.
FIFA 18 sold more than 24M units. NBA 2K18 more than 10M units. Madden NFL 19 was the fourth best selling game in the US in 2018. MLB The Show 18 wasn't in the top 20 in 2018, so it sold less than 2M (see below).

It has an AAA budget. Over 100 people are working on it, outsourcing, Sony studios helping, MLB license, etc.
That I have to explain to you that this is an AAA games is hilarious.
And even with all of that, it hasn't the budget of an AAA (>50M).

With the AAA nonsense
Because?

a $60 game is AAA. Except for Sea of Thieves
So No Man's Sky is AAA? 1, 2 Switch is AAA? Valkyria Chronicles 4 is AAA?

Furthermore, the budget of Sea of Thieves is much bigger than the budget of MLB The Show, so if Sea of Thieves isn't AAA, MLB The Show isn't either.

There absolutely is correlation veterans a game looks and being AAA. It has AAA production values, content on par with other AAA sports IPs and a $60 retail price.
All of that have nothing to do with being AAA or not. This is the definition of AAA:
AAA (pronounced and sometimes written Triple-A) is an informal classification used for video games produced and distributed by a mid-sized or major publisher, typically having higher development and marketing budgets. AAA is analogous to the film industry term "blockbuster".

You can have an AAA with non realistic graphics, lack of content and a bad production value. You can also have an AA which looks great and has a huge content. It's just a matter of budget.

You have no idea how much it costs to make so the onus is on YOU to prove it isn't. Everything points to the fact that it is AAA other than your feelings.
I already did that:

Let's do the math. Each employee cost around 10 000$ per month. It isn't precise or ever true, but it's a good starting point. San Diego has around 130 employees, which work 12 months on each game, so they cost 130 * 10 000 * 12 = 15 600 000 to Sony. Ad the cost of licences and you're probably around 20M, which is exactly the cost of an AA, not an AAA:

But if you prefer, we can also talk about sales. Most AAA sells between 5M and 10M, sometimes more: this is the number of sales they need to be really profitable.

MLB The Show does the large majority of its sales in North America. The game isn't even released in physical in Europe or in Japan. But it wasn't in the top 20 best selling games of 2018. We know that Dragon Ball FighterZ, the seventeenth of this ranking, sold 3.5M worldwide as of October 31th and 4M worlwide at the end of March 2019. But unlike MLB: The Show, Dragon Ball FighterZ had great sales outside of the US. For example, it was the thirteenth best selling game of France in 2018. It also sold more than 200k units in Japan (in physical), according to Game Data Library. So at best, it did probably something like half of its sales in the US and the other half outside (in Europe and in Asia). So it did less than 2M in the US in 2018. So MLB: The Show 18 also did less than that and I doubt worlwide sales change that.

MLB: The Show is a great franchise, which is a huge success for its budget. Each game has a good amount of content and is well polished. It isn't an AAA, because it hasn't the budget of an AAA, because baseball isn't as popular to make a profitable AAA baseball game, unlike soccer, american football or basketball. But it doesn't mean it isn't a success or it isn't a good game.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I'm wondering why everyone acts like Sony didn't do anything the entire year. We had a SoP 2 months ago and a huge Death Stranding trailer with release date announcement only 6 weeks ago.
Just try and chill ;)
Let's be honest here. Is the lack of TLoU news, and the fact that been over a year that we have not seen any significant news about it.
That is why everyone is anxious.

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, no one considers Blood and Wine to be AAA, It's an expansion.

The term is really meaningless to be honest. I don't understand why people are so willing to argue over it.

It's still AAA, made by a massive dev team and state of the art technology.

But sure, it's become a pretty meaningless term because there is no clear definition or budget for it.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's still AAA, made by a massive dev team and state of the art technology.

But sure, it's become a pretty meaningless term because there is no clear definition or budget for it.

The team wasn't massive and they specifically wanted to tell a shorter story because most of the studio was focused on TLOU2. It was a smaller side project.

Oct 25, 2017

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The team wasn't massive and they specifically wanted to tell a shorter story because most of the studio was focused on TLOU2. It was a smaller side project.

You are wrong .
Most of ND worked on it , how do you think they got out it so fast .
In fact more people work on it than UC 1 , 2 or 3 since ND has gotten much bigger since then.
https://www.thegamer.com/uncharted-5-new-characters/
There is interview with the director saying most of the team was on it (couple hundred ) and they still had to outsourced stuff.
There is a reason why people say what ND did with TLL was crazy a full length UC game with set pieces and everything in a year plus .

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe? Uncharted 4 is an AAA, Uncharted The Lost Legacy isn't. It could be the same for MLB The Show.

FIFA 18 sold more than 24M units. NBA 2K18 more than 10M units. Madden NFL 19 was the fourth best selling game in the US in 2018. MLB The Show 18 wasn't in the top 20 in 2018, so it sold less than 2M (see below).

And even with all of that, it hasn't the budget of an AAA (>50M).

Because?

So No Man's Sky is AAA? 1, 2 Switch is AAA? Valkyria Chronicles 4 is AAA?

Furthermore, the budget of Sea of Thieves is much bigger than the budget of MLB The Show, so if Sea of Thieves isn't AAA, MLB The Show isn't either.

All of that have nothing to do with being AAA or not. This is the definition of AAA:

You can have an AAA with non realistic graphics, lack of content and a bad production value. You can also have an AA which looks great and has a huge content. It's just a matter of budget.

I already did that:

But if you prefer, we can also talk about sales. Most AAA sells between 5M and 10M, sometimes more: this is the number of sales they need to be really profitable.

MLB The Show does the large majority of its sales in North America. The game isn't even released in physical in Europe or in Japan. But it wasn't in the top 20 best selling games of 2018. We know that Dragon Ball FighterZ, the seventeenth of this ranking, sold 3.5M worldwide as of October 31th and 4M worlwide at the end of March 2019. But unlike MLB: The Show, Dragon Ball FighterZ had great sales outside of the US. For example, it was the thirteenth best selling game of France in 2018. It also sold more than 200k units in Japan (in physical), according to Game Data Library. So at best, it did probably something like half of its sales in the US and the other half outside (in Europe and in Asia). So it did less than 2M in the US in 2018. So MLB: The Show 18 also did less than that and I doubt worlwide sales change that.

MLB: The Show is a great franchise, which is a huge success for its budget. Each game has a good amount of content and is well polished. It isn't an AAA, because it hasn't the budget of an AAA, because baseball isn't as popular to make a profitable AAA baseball game, unlike soccer, american football or basketball. But it doesn't mean it isn't a success or it isn't a good game.

Man you are a really big nuissance, even having you on ignore doesn't help because people keep answering your preposterous posts.

You spent months shitting on Days Gone with absurd premises and even more absurd conclusions that didn't come to pass and you're doing it again right now.

If you can see it don't know what to tell you.

I will start ignoring people that engage with you also so I can at least have a cleaner thread

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
iirc most of the studio was on TLL.
The game was as big as the first UC though, if not bigger. As for the team-size, go watch the credits again.
Of course they outsourced stuff as well.
https://gamermatters.com/two-malays...d-in-the-making-of-uncharted-the-lost-legacy/

It's by no means a small project.
You are wrong .
Most of ND worked on it , how do you think they got out it so fast .
In fact more people work on it than UC 1 , 2 or 3 since ND has gotten much bigger since then.
https://www.thegamer.com/uncharted-5-new-characters/
There is interview with the director saying most of the team was on it and they still had to outsourced stuff.
There is a reason why people say what ND did with TLL was crazy a full length UC game with set pieces and everything in a year plus .

When the Naughty Dog team shot around ideas early on, creating a stand-alone experience wasn't an obvious approach from the start. At first, the team contemplated an Uncharted 5, but with much of the team focused on The Last of Us Part II's development, the idea was scrapped in favor of something more condensed that could release in a year's time. The team also wanted to start something fresh; with Nathan Drake's story cleanly reaching its conclusion in Uncharted 4, Naughty Dog knew this new entry would need a fresh start.

Game Informer

Oct 25, 2017
Seems GI is not correct there. You just have to look at the credits. You don't make a game like TLL in 15 months with a small crew. It's similar to what CDPR did with TW3 expansions, I bet. Cyberpunk also went into full development after Blood and Wine, I bet TLoU2 went into full development after TLL was out the door.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seems GI is not correct there. You just have to look at the credits. You don't make a game like TLL in 15 months with a small crew. It's similar to what CDPR did with TW3 expansions, I bet. Cyberpunk also went into full development after Blood and Wine, I bet TLoU2 went into full development after TLL was out the door.

It's coming from their exclusive coverage when Lost Legacy was the game of the month. So unless you're saying that the leads are wrong I don't see how they made a mistake.

Look at the dateds of the interview i showed you .
Your is may and the one i have is in June.

At best that means that they needed the whole studio to ship the game at the intended date at end of development. Doesn't really change anything from the GI interview. Notice the "right now" at the start of his response.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the director in the EG interview says hunderds of people worked on it, they have a beelding edge motion capture studio, Henry Jackman composed the music... TLL is as AAA as it gets.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It's coming from their exclusive coverage when Lost Legacy was the game of the month. So unless you're saying that the leads are wrong I don't see how they made a mistake.

At best that means that they needed the whole studio to ship the game at the intended date at end of development. Doesn't really change anything from the GI interview.

It goes against your first post you made about it .
Saying that it was a smaller team when for months the whole of ND was on it instead of TLOUII.
Also it was not a smaller size project for them in the same interview .

"Do you guys consider this a fully-fledged Uncharted game? It's a brand which brings with it a huge amount of expectation and weight - and obviously this does not have a number in the title.

Escayg:
It doesn't have a number because we're over with the Nathan Drake story. It started as a smaller project with a much slimmer storyline but the thing Naughty Dog does great is our stories about the human condition - tests of the human condition. We needed space to develop Chloe Frazer - we hadn't seen her in depth, seen where she came from, what made her tick. All the things which make Chloe the self-preservationist we know and love. And then as soon as we started filling in those holes it started expanding into a full game"

I mean, the director in the EG interview says hunderds of people worked on it, they have a beelding edge motion capture studio, Henry Jackman composed the music... TLL is as AAA as it gets.

yep.
It being cheaper is because it had no new MP and because UC4 was much longer compare to other UC games.

Last edited:

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It goes against your first post you made about it .
Saying that it was a smaller team when for months the whole of ND was on it instead of TLOUII.
Also it was not a smaller size project for them in the same interview .

"Do you guys consider this a fully-fledged Uncharted game? It's a brand which brings with it a huge amount of expectation and weight - and obviously this does not have a number in the title.

Escayg:
It doesn't have a number because we're over with the Nathan Drake story. It started as a smaller project with a much slimmer storyline but the thing Naughty Dog does great is our stories about the human condition - tests of the human condition. We needed space to develop Chloe Frazer - we hadn't seen her in depth, seen where she came from, what made her tick. All the things which make Chloe the self-preservationist we know and love. And then as soon as we started filling in those holes it started expanding into a full game"

And the game director said the opposite in GI. Anyways, believe what you want, there's no point arguing about that.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
You spent months shitting on Days Gone with absurd premises and even more absurd conclusions that didn't come to pass and you're doing it again right now.
If by "spent months" you mean "posted some messages in September and some messages in January", you're right.

But thank you, it was interesting to search my older posts and to find some things like that.

If you can see it don't know what to tell you.
We're on a forum. You have perfectly the right to disagree with me or even to think that everything I say is just stupid. And it's even more interesting like that, because if we disagree, we can discuss it, with arguments. This is the purpose of a forum.

For MLB The Show, for example, I think it's an AA, you think it's an AAA. Perfect. I explained earlier why I don't think it has the budget of an AAA. I also quoted the definition of AAA. You can argue that this definition is wrong and explain why it is. You can also explain what budget a game should have to be called "AAA", prove that MLB The Show has a comparable budget and how it could be profitable with that budget.

I'm always open to discussion and I admit when I was wrong. But yeah, if you just want to say that I'm wrong, without any argument, you probably should ignore me, because we don't see forums the same way.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
And the game director said the opposite in GI. Anyways, believe what you want, there's no point arguing about that.

It's not a matter of believe .
It's a matter of facts .
It started out small and then turn bigger and had most of ND working on it .
In the same interview you using they said as much .

"We tried to keep it small," game director Kurt Margenau says. "As we started coming up with story ideas, it just became clear that with new characters and in this genre of Uncharted, it has to be big. With the gameplay stuff we wanted to explore, it felt like it needed more room to breathe."

Also if you read the interview you notice they were saying at the start of the DLC most of the team was on TLOUII.
Of course we know from other interviews later on that things change .

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a matter of believe .
It's a matter of facts .
It started out small and then turn bigger and had most of ND working on it .
In the same interview you using they said as much .

"We tried to keep it small," game director Kurt Margenau says. "As we started coming up with story ideas, it just became clear that with new characters and in this genre of Uncharted, it has to be big. With the gameplay stuff we wanted to explore, it felt like it needed more room to breathe."

Also if you read the interview you notice they were saying at the start of the DLC most of the team was on TLOUII .
Of course we know from other interviews later on that things change .

Yes because the game was more Left Behind than TLL. Doesn't change this sentence at all

At first, the team contemplated an Uncharted 5, but with much of the team focused on The Last of Us Part II's development, the idea was scrapped in favor of something more condensed that could release in a year's time

Meaning that they didn't want to make a full fledged game and opted to do a smaller scale game, which was what happened. The only difference was that they went from a small DLC to a stand alone expansion. In either cases, the game was not AAA.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yes because the game was more Left Behind than TLL. Doesn't change this sentence at all

Meaning that they didn't want to make a full fledged game and opted to do a smaller scale game, which was what happened. The only difference was that they went from a small DLC to a stand alone expansion. In either cases, the game was not AAA.

Then they end up making a full length game .

Escayg:

You are acting like things can not change when we know that is what happen .
In fact it took them more than 1 year any way .
UC4 dated may 10 2016 and TLL came out Aug 22 2017

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Then they end up making a full length game .

Escayg:

You are acting like things can not change when we know that is what happen .
In fact it took them more than 1 year any way .
UC4 dated may 10 2016 and TLL came out Aug 22 2017

I mean if you actually believe that UC4 and TLL are on the same scale, then there's not much reason to continue discussing this.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if you actually believe that UC4 and TLL are on the same scale, then there's not much reason to continue discussing this.

In terms of length no since UC4 is the longest UC game , TLL would be like 1-3 minus the MP.
In term of everything else set pieces , motion capture ,story etc etc when it come to SP yes , in fact TLL has the biggest level in any UC game.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TLL is on the same scale of U1~3
those games are AAA

In terms of length no since UC4 is the longest UC game , TLL would be like 1-3 minus the MP.
In term of everything else set pieces , motion capture ,story etc etc when it come to SP yes , in fact TLL has the biggest level in any UC game.

Those games are AAA from the previous generation. Development costs, expectation and scale are not comparable between generations.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
So Konami buying the rights to Juventus FC seems like a strike at EA. Do you guys think EA asked Sony to exclude from PS plus free games? With EA Access coming to PlayStation and Sony focusing on cooperations with major publishers, they also might be partnering on next gen games.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Third time's a charm, right?

Hasebe-san came from Super Mario RPG at Squaresoft to make an RPG for PS1 at Sony. Scored 70+/100 on Metacritic and was a failure in PAL region because it was localized too late.

That was Sony's first attempt. But there was a second attempt, not on PS2 or PS3, it was surprisingly on PSP. Sony Japan moved the AAA games to portable.

Tenkawa-san had worked on a colourful 2D platformer for PS1 before he created this magnitude of an action RPG. Your typical AAA on PSP with graphics between PS1 and PS2. Hermie Hopperhead looks to be a knock-off of Yoshi's Island.

Hermie Hopperhead (2D platformer)

It was released in 1995 on PS1 and only in Japan. It was nothing original. We got something original like a 3D game with Jumping Flash instead.

Anyway, he created the next big Sony RPG after The Legend of Dragoon. Since Sony had no development team they approached Climax to develop it. Tenchi no Mon was the title and Key of Heaven in PAL region. Jumping Flash creator was ironically one of the producers. It succeeded in Japan and in PAL region (based on Sony's Essentials series needs to sell over 450k in the region). Despite it sold well in the PAL region it failed in the NA market as Kingdom of Paradise. Review scores resulted in 70+/100 on Metacritic.

Another big Sony RPG that missed the mark.

They made a second game which was a prequel and it was never localized.

Can Kouno-san break the 70+/100 curse for SIEJ? His track record is solid with 83 for LocoRoco and 85 for LocoRoco 2. I don't think Hermie Hopperhead did score well or was anything original. There was nothing like it on the market when LocoRoco came out.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bloodborne is by far my favorite PS exclusive followed by God of War, but i think Bloodborne 2 is not gonna happen without a big push from Sony, a very big push.

From Software is one of the best publisher in the business, they have money, talent and valuable IPs, they co-own Dark Souls, they own Sekiro and iirc Elden Ring.
From a financial point of view, working on your own IPs wil earn you way more money than working on a Sony's IP like Bloodborne, why work for Sony and get an X amount of royalities when you can work on your own games and get an even bigger share and more sales by releasing the games on more platforms? I would love to see and play Bloodborne 2 but i can understand Miyazaki doing and working on his own creations, he can litterally pitch any game to any publisher and he will get the support he needs (publishing, QA, localization, marketing etc...), even Activision agreed to publish a From title and it turned out to be FS fastest selling game ever. Elden Ring will most likely do even big number by being an Action-RPG with MP and more "souls-like" than Sekiro.

I don't know, why are big pubs like koei or Namco working for Nintendo or Pubs like Sega for Microsoft. It may be worth it if they offer enough.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
So Konami buying the rights to Juventus FC seems like a strike at EA. Do you guys think EA asked Sony to exclude from PS plus free games? With EA Access coming to PlayStation and Sony focusing on cooperations with major publishers, they also might be partnering on next gen games.
Ha ha ha, no. I think they just wanted to include Detroit this month.

I don't know what is the deal between Sony and Quantic Dream, but the game was heavily discount (it was available for 20$ during Black Friday 2018), so they seem to want to sell as many units as possible in a short time.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
D_rIc95XkAAlUf-.jpg:large

here is your sony press conference.
2 hour chinajoy conference on august 1st. hopefully lost soul aside footage...

Status
Not open for further replies.