• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Sorry to quote something just because someone else did.

I just wanted to chime in to say, I think everyone has a different perspective on it. And to you, looking at it as a DLC it's fantastic, but as a sequel it would have been poor. But what about if we didn't have Uncharted 4 at all, and then had TLL alone this generation?

I can tell you unequivocally that I feel the tone and writing was so much better in The Lost Legacy. Uncharted 4 was the product of a messy development, it came out brilliantly for what it was, but never felt coherent to me. It didn't feel like Uncharted either, it was too serious, too bogged down in trying to say something.

The Lost Legacy didn't introduce or have any baggage, it did what all the great Uncharted games have done which is play with characters we love and didn't try to decipher the psyche of said characters or introduce redundant characters. The characters fit clear pulpy archetypes and it was so much truer to the subject matter than 4 was in my eyes.

I like to think that when people gush about TLL, it's because of this. Not because it plays any differently or because it broke the mold in some way. It was just a true Uncharted in a way Uncharted 4 couldn't be.
I felt the exact opposite tbh the gameplay sequences were way more fun in TLL but everything else isn't nearly as interesting as UC4 for me. I remember Chloes whole thing with her Dad which was pretty generic but fine but Nadine was just bland as all hell

Oct 25, 2017
The silence is more of a course correction because they've been attending every major events available for years to a point where they've shown too much stuff. Sony likes showmanship, they invite people to theaters to watch their E3 presentations for free. They don't really care about Direct style presentations. They can have a year of reset and return to the norm starting next year.

E3 also isn't really a public event, and they've said it doesn't really fit with what they're doing so they didn't attend. Gamescom and TGS both have public event and Sony is attending so I see it as consistent with their message.

PS5 is a main focus but PS4 is still going to be the main source of revenue for years to come. What's announced for PS5 is going to be playable for PS4. We've already heard rumors that will be the case for Scarlett.I don't see how you can deduce anything about the bigger gaming landscape from Sony not having any live conference.

Are you claiming PS5 won't have any exclusives at launch? I'll take that bet.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I love Claire but if I had to take a bullet for any of them it would be Carla.

She's great as well. BA in general is a pretty special channel at Youtube in that it's one place where you can escape the general toxicity that's all over the place there. The comment section is even wholesome. It really shows that if you don't act like an asshole on your channel then you won't attract people like that.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Didn't know you were a fan of Bon Appétit! youtube channel? XD

Claire is the greatest! I was so happy when she came back to the channel after briefly leaving it.

I love Claire but if I had to take a bullet for any of them it would be Carla.

There are several of us! :D Claire having a delirious, hysterical mental breakdown (when the cake falls in the last Baking School episode and she just cracks, perfection) is a big mood.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Also, do we expect anything from Sony's announcement at EVO 2019? Could it just be a new console bundle or maybe an update on some game? Are they going to do anything at Gamescom...I need neeeeeeewwwsss....

EVO is a fighting game tournament, so I really wouldn't expect any type of game announcement unless you're expecting them to get back into fighting games. Looking at their history, they've never really had success when it comes to fighting games. Going all the way back to the PSone days when they released Cardinal Syn. I don't think it's fair to count Battle Arena Toshinden since they only picked up the western publishing rights for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, do we expect anything from Sony's announcement at EVO 2019? Could it just be a new console bundle or maybe an update on some game? Are they going to do anything at Gamescom...I need neeeeeeewwwsss....

I don't see it being an announcement of anything game related, as I don't think Sony would make a big move for a fighting game this late in the generation (either first party or a third party partnership) and it's too early for next-gen stuff. My guess is some sort of multi-year Evo sponsorship deal and maybe something that expands Evo, ie. Evo Europe or Evo South America.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza Kiwami 2 was announced at the Yakuza event and not during Sony's TGS 2 years ago. Not having Yakuza 7 announced at TGS doesn't mean they don't have Yakuza 7 at TGS.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
God, I tell ya one thing, I really need a PS5 because copying files after small updates that take 2 minutes to download can take 10-15 minutes to copy over before it can be installed.

It's curious, but the part I bolded from your message already crossed my mind when I was writing. I guess the moral is that even the most brutal acts of violence might be framed in a way, that makes them feel justified, proportional. It's the context that's going to determine what feels natural or overdramatic. There's actually a similar scene in the original TLOU, involving Ellie, a knife, and some unfriendly host.

I don't think our difference here derives from the meaning, but our interpretation of what's in tone for the world and its characters. I see death and violence as a constant in TLOU, the story starts with it and ends shrouded in the same pattern. To me it's not unnecessary, but I understand it, if you or anybody see it differently. It's hard, after all, to do something and say "this, is the right kind of violence". There's always going to be a part that is too much for someone.

EDIT: I see from something you've written before, that perhaps (correct me if I'm wrong) your point is that violence shall never be perceived as normal, and so, what the game shows is gratuitous for that very reason? That would be an interesting take, though I wouldn't necessarily agree with it. I think violence is a strong component of the human condition, it predates any civilization, democracy or rule, and is still here, despite all our best efforts. Anyway, I don't know if that's your angle, so I leave it there for now.

Philosophically, I think all instances of violence are a breakdown of societal functions of communication whether that is between family, merchants, groupings, etc. it is not a normal encounter for it to end up in brutalized violence. That's all I'm saying.

Violence and subjugation is ceaseless in human history, sure, but so is compromise, cooperation, and other forms of collaboration.

I think The Last of Us explores all of this in a great manner to show why you might get into these brutal encounters. I just don't think that creating a setting of brutality doesn't mean that it's not showing something in an overt, brutal fashion that is meant to be viewed as excessive.

It's weird to think that for those in this convo that we are basically arguing the game wants you to think it's "normal" but the entire game is showcasing humanity at its breaking point and what people are far more willing to do in that circumstance.

If you look at the dictionary, the word states that it's uncalled for, lacking good reason, etc. All of it is both called for and has good reason for being as violent as it is. It's not violence for the sake of violence or added to get some edgy points.

It is uncalled for as you see multiple instances in the game where humans communicate and cooperate to get things done vs version taking a shotgun to someone's face to get something done.

And even if it did take violence, a point blank range double tap to the dome is the definition of excessive and the game lets you do it.

Pretty fucking much. RDR2 also has some seriously fucked up themes in certain side missions and still it gets a 98 and will eventually sell tens of millions....

Lol at the 'concern' in this thread about tlou2 and violence, protip: apart from some posters online, the mass general public gives zero fucks about violence. The fact some people can say this with a straight face when the likes of the walking dead, GoT and even BB has broken records and tens of millions all around the world have watched it. TWD has some straight up nasty gore, and no one gave a single fuck.

It will not factor into sales at all, reviews even. I can't even remember when the last time violence was a deterrent to the public. The usual suspects might decry some shit, but of anything that Weill get EVEN more people to buy the game.

I mean, if you live in bumfuck southern US I can see some old timers moaning about the violence shit, but anywhere else? Nah.

If anything, it's the LGBTQ themes that might deter a few sales, as sad as that is. But the violence? Nah.

Ah yes, I remember when those bumfucks in the southern US were responsible for attempting to pass legislation to say that excessive exposure to violent video games can lead to violent behavior... oh wait... that was out of California...

I live in the South fam. Folks love violence here, too. I don't think violence factors much into sales, but I think the conversation about violence on display in the game is interesting given we all consume media differently.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
God, I tell ya one thing, I really need a PS5 because copying files after small updates that take 2 minutes to download can take 10-15 minutes to copy over before it can be installed.

THIS X100. What's going on lately ? It takes ages to install updates. I don't recall a similar situation the previous years. Sometimes, it takes up to 30-40min for an update to install (while it takes 5min to download), like WTF??

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
So it seems like Erica's release date is next month (August) and the game will utilise a technology they call "TouchVideo". You don't use the buttons of the DualShock to play the game, but it's played entirely with the TouchPad.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
So it seems like Erica's release date is next month (August) and the game will utilise a technology they call "TouchVideo". You don't use the buttons of the DualShock to play the game, but it's played entirely with the TouchPad.

Good move on their part figuring out how to get it to work on a DS4. While PlayLink is commendable, I think people just seeing that turned them off of games even though pretty much everyone has cellphones can could play the game anyway.

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Fresh job posting?

Sony PlayStation is hiring a Head of Global Portfolio and Acquisitions

The Head of Global Portfolio and Acquisitions will oversee the entire content pipeline from content creators both existing and potential. This person will lead a team of people based across the globe who source, track, evaluate and build partnerships with the best 3rd party Publishers and Developers on the planet

As part of the Global Publisher and Developer Relations teams, reporting directly into the VP, Global Third Party Relations this role will:

Lead the Global Content roadmap
Supervise the Content Intelligence program
Communicate portfolio, schedules and priorities to key internal business stakeholders
Interpret platform strategies and content needs and set content priorities
Negotiate and secure content through partnerships
Administrate and manage a global content fund
Secure internal support for partnership titles, in particular with Executive teams
Primary point of contact with Legal teams on any partnership or acquisition deals

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news...Head_of_Global_Portfolio_and_Acquisitions.php

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Next Tuesday is Sony's earnings report, so if you want news then at the very least there will be a sales update

It'll probably just be an update on the hardware side, but they do sometimes slip in software sales.

I expect it to be the weakest 1st quarter for PS4 yet in term of HW sales. Wonder if they will talk more about there FY goal. At the moment I don't see them reaching it without a price drop (super slim?). 100M announcement will probably come in September or October with Q2 results.

Has SIE ever had someone with that kind of job before?

Might not exactly like it, but it sounds like a Kevin Feige for PlayStation.

I think it was John Drake and he left Sony not long ago.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I expect it to be the weakest 1st quarter for PS4 yet in term of HW sales. Wonder if they will talk more about there FY goal. At the moment I don't see them reaching it without a price drop (super slim?). 100M announcement will probably come in September or October with Q2 results.
I think Sony can reach their FY target without a price cut or super Slim. 2018 showed that huge exclusives still move a lot of Hardware. FY18 had those exclusives in Q1 and Q2, FY19 will have them in Q3 (DS) and Q4 (TLOU2, FF7R).

Anyway, before considering a permanent price drop, Sony might start with providing enough stock in November. Last year PS4 was sold out before actual Black Friday.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
There's nothing more boring than discussing what's AAA and what isn't
That's what happens when people lack things to talk about. No leak from Sony doesn't help. Also, a game being AAA doesn't mean anything nowadays (see A Plague Tale, Anthem or MK11). In one instance, you have a game that looks AAA but isn't. In another, you have a AAA broken since before launch and lacking content left and right. In the last one, you have a AAA game that has super grindy mechanics for its unlockables to the point of tricking players into wanting to buy them. If a game is awesome, it shouldn't matter what kind of budget went behind it.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
I have 3 invites for Ghost Recon Breakpoint beta. First 3 people to PM me their PSN Name/ID and or Ubisoft Club Name/ID gets it.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
what about us xbox players? smh
wrongthreadjekcr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.