• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
All i want from ND after TLoU2 is a cyberpunk detective sim.

giphy.gif

tumblr_me7ykg1Nvl1qavwd8.gif

k04mp8td0fu11.gif

My man.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Lol they'll prolly get old man Drake back for one last ride XD. Knowing this industry

Anything is possible. But it's not too often that big AAA studios get to make new IP's when they're already sitting on two big ones. Sony has no reason to not trust ND when it comes to new IP's since everything they've ever made since they began working together has been big.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Not going to lie, part of the amusement of talking about 2020 is that much of 2019 hasn't exactly been impressive or wildly different on the new games side of things for me.

Can someone explain why you all think The Last of Us has an amazing story/writing? You can spoil the full story if it helps to expain, I will never play it.

a fully realized world with fully realized characters that show growth through trial and tribulation. It's the basis of every great story executed with deep acting performances that lend credence to the little details such as Ellie's love of comic books or Joel's facial ticks he can't help when noticing her.

It's an excellent work of fiction in video games where the story itself is treated equally as important as the gameplay.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
We are talking about the future because we are all disappointed this gen. You know it, Sony knows it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i also agree the first party games of Sony on this gen have gone under a massive leap in quality specially their western output. You could said on the japanese side things could have been better even if they were also some really great games (Astro Bot, Bloodborne).
As far as Japanese games I thought Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Persona 5, Gran Turismo Sport, Resident Evil 7, The Last Guardian, and Nier Automata were all fantastic. Gravity Rush 2 was also really good and Death Stranding is on the way.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
We are talking about the future because we are all disappointed this gen. You know it, Sony knows it.
This is definitely not true for me. I have a had a shit load of fun this generation. Some of the most memorable games I've ever played have been this gen. I've never cried at a game like The Last Guardian, I've never been so awed by the scope of a game like God of War. Never been so enthralled to relive some of my favorite games as a teenager, but fully realized in a way I never could have imagined like Resident Evil 2 or Shadow of the Colossus.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
This gen has been incredible overall.

We got a new mainline Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry and a new Ueda game which were missing in home consoles since PS2. Bless japanese devs 🙏

Indies were also amazing.

And 2020 is stacked, probably more than any other year this gen.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
This gen is much better than last gen. Eastern and Western devs are producing great games unlike last gen where Japan was struggling. You gotta be pretty jaded to think that this gen has been bad.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018

No? I'm just not as interested in the rest of this year. Though I will be getting Control, Concrete Genie, & Death Stranding, I don't really have much interest in speculating on them just experiencing them.

Conversation will change once I see more of them with playing until then, the only other first party/exclusive titles we know about are either in beta, without a release date, or set for 2020

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
This gen was awesome. Literally all sorts of devs doing well and putting out great games.The West, The East, Indie, AAA, you name it.

The only thing last gen does better were racing and sports games.

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've played great games in this gen with some masterpieces like TLG, Bloodborne, Yakuza Zero, MGSV etc but I still largely prefer last gen, on the western side of things I think that Sony's output on PS3 was way more compelling while japanese side is as amazing as on PS3

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
On the context of disappointment, even if it's probably not what Henrik or PlanetSmasher wants to see more of -

Sony has its share of failings this gen, both in terms of initiatives they failed to deliver - or opportunities they chose not to invest in, when in hindsight, they should've:

1. San Diego F2P initiative, can more or less be considered a total failure at this point.
2. Gan Turismo Sport's pivot to a more e-sport focused pitch that wasn't received well at launch. ( same situation with SFV )
3. In pursuing more globally appealing games, did not invest in genres or IPs that was costly and niche ( JRPGs, etc ), and only in recent years, made comments that imply that they are finally looking into those areas.
4. A failure in building their 1-studio-2-project initiative which was supposed to have the biggest Sony teams work on 2 major projects concurrently, even if only one in full production at any time.
5. No MP-style big successes or investments this gen to diversify their portfolio further. ( which they have acknowledged and has said they want to address )
6. Failure in nurturing or building success of their "indie-brand" of games ( Journey, Rapture, etc ) - which ironically has spawned a lot of 3rd-party alternatives in Private Division or Annapurna. ( Annapurna is basically ex-SSM Ex Dev anyway )
7. YoY portfolio of releases and games are still not the most stable or consistent. One AAA delay can more or less turn an amazing year into a mediocre one, and shows how tight of a rope the annual portfolio is.
8. IP or franchise management in general - both in terms of knowing how to extend a franchise life through smart utility of remasters/spin-offs/alternate media are basically just poorly handled across all Sony properties today.
9. Not-first-party related, but ForwardWorks has had a lolworthy year as a mobile publisher/developer.
10. Not first-party related, but basically all the BC-related initiatives, be it PS Classic or PS2onPS4.

They've got plenty to improve or work on. We know they are looking at a few areas on-the-record, like multiplayer projects and better alternative media management.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Wanna read an hot take:

However, all the hardware in the world won't fix Sony's biggest problem with the PS4 line right now: a distinct lack of exclusives.[...]This glaring lack of exclusives becomes made more apparent when you compare it to the competition. The Xbox One has seen Sunset Overdrive, D4, Halo 5, and Quantum Break, while others including Sea of Thieves, Gears of War 4, and Scalebound are on the horizon. The Wii U got Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl to name a few.

I nearly fell of my chair reading this.

Oct 25, 2017

It's an amazing gen, not in the least for Sony who saw tons of succes and critical acclaim, from launching succesful new IP like Horizon to a reimaging of God of War, and their fastest selling game ever with Spider-Man to brilliant Japanese games like Astro Bot, The Last Guardian and Bloodborne.

And it's far from over yet. Some of its heaviest hitters (Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, Cyberpunk) have yet to come out.

This gen has so many bonafide masterpieces, big and small.

And don't forget that this gen turned Sony from the verge of bankrupcy to a profitable juggernaut again.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Wanna read an hot take:

I nearly fell of my chair reading this.

Why you posting three year old articles, fam?

Anyway, I really do think Sony needs a GAAS like Sea of Thieves in their library. I hope whatever MP centric game GG is working is on good and sees a lot of post release support. Gimme that Killzone GAAS!!!

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Why you posting three year old articles, fam?

Anyway, I really do think Sony needs a GAAS like Sea of Thieves in their library. I hope whatever MP centric game GG is working is on good and sees a lot of post release support. Gimme that Killzone GAAS!!!

No shit it is old it say's the "Pro won't solve Sony's problems" lol.

I stumbled upon it and though it was funny.

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On the context of disappointment, even if it's probably not what Henrik or PlanetSmasher wants to see more of -

Sony has its share of failings this gen, both in terms of initiatives they failed to deliver - or opportunities they chose not to invest in, when in hindsight, they should've:

1. San Diego F2P initiative, can more or less be considered a total failure at this point.
2. Gan Turismo Sport's pivot to a more e-sport focused pitch that wasn't received well at launch. ( same situation with SFV )
3. In pursuing more globally appealing games, did not invest in genres or IPs that was costly and niche ( JRPGs, etc ), and only in recent years, made comments that imply that they are finally looking into those areas.
4. A failure in building their 1-studio-2-project initiative which was supposed to have the biggest Sony teams work on 2 major projects concurrently, even if only one in full production at any time.
5. No MP-style big successes or investments this gen to diversify their portfolio further. ( which they have acknowledged and has said they want to address )
6. Failure in nurturing or building success of their "indie-brand" of games ( Journey, Rapture, etc ) - which ironically has spawned a lot of 3rd-party alternatives in Private Division or Annapurna. ( Annapurna is basically ex-SSM Ex Dev anyway )
7. YoY portfolio of releases and games are still not the most stable or consistent. One AAA delay can more or less turn an amazing year into a mediocre one, and shows how tight of a rope the annual portfolio is.
8. IP or franchise management in general - both in terms of knowing how to extend a franchise life through smart utility of remasters/spin-offs/alternate media are basically just poorly handled across all Sony properties today.
9. Not-first-party related, but ForwardWorks has had a lolworthy year as a mobile publisher/developer.
10. Not first-party related, but basically all the BC-related initiatives, be it PS Classic or PS2onPS4.

They've got plenty to improve or work on. We know they are looking at a few areas on-the-record, like multiplayer projects and better alternative media management.

Finally someone who addresses real problems and not usual "Who cares about multiplayer, 3rd party games cover that" or "IPs like Killzone have no future"

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017

Lol, I agree.

Sony Music division & DELiGHTWORKS laughing all their way to the bank compared to them.

It's sad to see new Arc the Lad, Wild Arms, Toro & Kuro "only just that" these days...

We still don't know what Japan Studio, Toyama, or others at SIEJA doing right now for the future, but if somehow the supposedly new 'Ape Escape' ended up mobile...

tumblr_lf52dw3hC51qdezf9o1_400.gif

Last edited:

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
From doubting ND and claims of people getting tired of them to calling 10m+ sellers a disappointment..now the whole gen has become a disappointment :D Give us some news Sony else who knows what else will become disappointing in the next few pages.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Finally someone who addresses real problems and not usual "Who cares about multiplayer, 3rd party games cover that" or "IPs like Killzone have no future"

In regards to the bolded, even now - I don't see much effort from the coordinated PlayStation unit to push the Gran Turismo events as a must-watch event. It still feels very much like a Polyphony/Gran Turismo self-managed initiative - as opposed to how Sony used to have Capcom Cup at PSX during the height of the SFV effort push.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Some people need to stop their denial and accept that TLOU is the best game Sony has ever made.

In regards to the bolded, even now - I don't see much effort from the coordinated PlayStation unit to push the Gran Turismo events as a must-watch event. It still feels very much like a Polyphony/Gran Turismo self-managed initiative - as opposed to how Sony used to have Capcom Cup at PSX during the height of the SFV effort push.

Shows that Sony as a whole still doesn't really have a clue how to push GaaS/MP titles in the modern day.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Last night I unlocked Days Gone's platinum trophy. Great game, Bend did a good job and they can only improve for the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.