• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I follow. We'll never really know how much they are paying for the studios, but both are throwing out the big bucks.

I do think Sony spent more on Insomniac than MS did the likes of Ninja Theory or Double Fine. (Although we do know MS spent millions buying the Psychonauts IP back).

Insomniac feels like a Playground Games level acquisition. Sony's next might be Obsidian level if it's RaD or HouseMarque or even Remedy.

Insomniac is coming off a game that sold 13 plus million in a year. They are in a decidedly different league than any purchase MS has made. Playground is the closest, and I use the term loosely.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Remedy doesn't seem to have ended their relation with MS very well, if the GI 100 quick fire questions are to be believed. Plus Sony has had people visit Remedy recently (like Shu Yoshida), and Sam Lake has said previously they appreciate Sony's efforts to keep narrative games alive.

Not to mention Control has PS4 time-exclusive content.

I don't like the consolidation that seems to be happening in the industry, but Remedy's a good fit for Sony.

I think people read too much into that GI thing. Didn't Sam Lake come out afterwards and say they had a good relationship with MS?

Don't read too much into the timed exclusive content. Lots of games have had timed exclusive content on PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
Again with the acquisition talk. It's not happening folks. Sony is all talk no walk, just to satisfy their investors who were looking at what MS and Google are doing before Next-Gen rolls around.

Like I mentioned before, they haven't acquired a game development studio since 2011.

Hey man, I just wondered if you had enough salt to go with your crow?

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
I think people read too much into that GI thing. Didn't Sam Lake come out afterwards and say they had a good relationship with MS?

Don't read too much into the timed exclusive content. Lots of games have had timed exclusive content on PS4.
I totally agree, specially on the exclusive content. But I do believe the visit by Shu could've been an initial flirtation for purchasing the studio. Could have been, though. What do I know.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac is coming off a game that sold 13 plus million in a year. They are in a decidedly different league than any purchase MS has made. Playground is the closest, and I use the term loosely.

For sure, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Insomniac doesn't own that 13+ million selling IP, which would significantly increase their worth.

It's important to keep that in mind. I imagine a major part of their value is be based on owned IP with their work on Spidey factoring in as well.

With that in mind, I'm sure Sony spent a lot, but I don't think it's in a different league to what MS has spent on some of their acquired studios.

Either way, we'll never really know unless something leaks.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Shawn Layden was reading this thread and got triggered by i-hate-u posts and decided to make a call to Jim Ryan so they could buy Insomniac just to show him.

Everyone should be praising i-hate-u.

Oct 25, 2017
For sure, but we should lose sight of the fact that Insomniac doesn't own that 13+ million selling IP, which would significantly increase their worth.

It's important to keep that in mind. I imagine a major part of their value is be based on owned IP with their work on Spidey factoring in as well.

With that in mind, I'm sure Sony spent a lot, but I don't think it's in a different league to what MS has spent on some of their acquired studios.

Either way, we'll never really know unless something leaks.

In that context, Playground didn't own any of their IPs either prior to purchase and it's simply a sales to sales comparison.

And Playground is the only viable comparison. Some (or most) of the studios MS has bought have been in financial trouble (which is great that MS came in and scooped them up).

But the point stands, MS just can't get Remedy because they have a limited Xbox budget as well. In a bidding war, my bets on Sony, who is focusing on very specific studio acquisition goals (SP, narrative driven titles), rather than MS' goal, which is to ensure they have constant GP content via smaller games flanked by a few key high budget titles.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Shawn Layden was reading this thread and got triggered by i-hate-u posts and decided to make a call to Jim Ryan so they could buy Insomniac just to show him.

Everyone should be praising i-hate-u.
He probably really believes that. He was a legit sickness on this thread, him and orochi singlehandedly derail every discussion.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Any idea what engine Insomniac uses on their games? I wonder if it's one that scales to games like R&C and Spider-Man to their VR titles or do they work with multiple?

Anyway here is how Ratchet and Clank looked when it was targeting base PS4 (did R&C even get a Pro update?):
y0RdQSL.gif

ShnO0LA.gif

ratchet1.0.gif

SIYgnVk.gif

mvrfKRk.gif

zTnyuGv.gif

ThOzt65.gif

I wish I could find better GIFs or a screenshot thread (although I don't think this game had a photomode). Imagine how it's going to look on PS5.

yes R&C is one of my all time favorite series along with Smash

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
A generation really is a long time in gaming it seems......Ted Price starts the gen stood on a Microsoft stage announcing his new Xbox exclusive IP..........and the gen ends with Sony owning said IP......crazy stuff,lol.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac released 7 games since 2014 (excluding their mobile efforts). They're an extraordinary asset in terms of both quality and quantity.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up MVP of the PS5.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
If Sony were to get the publishing rights to the original game, then having a remastered version of it available at or near launch could be a good strategy for it. That's give it a second chance and an immediately hungry audience.
Would they need publishing rights if they added content and changed the title to Sunset Overdrive .5 or some subtitle? Essentially making it a different game?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So when will Death Stranding marketing start? We are a little over 2 months away now.

Also Sony needs to stop Kojima from showing the game more otherwise he'll reveal everything, TGS will have another showing according to him.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see Sony invest in a couple of smaller devs they could grow, and Housemarque/Arrowhead are good candidates in my opinion.
Yeah Bluepoint would fit that well too. Like others have mentioned they would probably be a good smaller one given all their great work on their various PS remasters and built trust for an undertaking on the scale of the truly current-gen looking SOTC remake. Basically aside from their first game I think all their stuff has collaborations with Playstation so it's been years now of successful projects together and they seem near the cusp of being ready to grow and try an original IP if they actually want to. Plus there's tons of old Playstation IPs they could mine as well if they were to have both a new game and also a remaster team.

Would definitely love a Resogun 2 near PS5 launch too.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insomniac are about 300 staff? Do they operate on a two team, or 1.5 team basis?
Insomniac Games has two studios, with multiple teams. This acquisition is huge! I was at my best friends house watching ONL when Geoff dropped the bomb. Megaton! Dang I'm happy that Naughty Dog and Insomniac Games are right there where they should be :)
Ratchet & Clank next, baby!

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Some in the other thread are wondered about the surprised users but in my case it's more a relief.

Before the last E3 MS conferences I was always worried...

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
It was clear that Insomniac enjoyed it's independence which is why I like many others was a bit surprised this finally happened. I have to think that Sony tried to acquire them in the past. So I'm curious as to how Sony got them to change their minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.