• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
saw this comparison and my view on it has been damaged ever since lol
A5dZZ7mh.jpg

Oh fuck lmao

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
I personally think that the design is really cool and recognizable.

I'd definetly prefer that over another slighly different black box.

Aug 4, 2019
I feel like the Decima engine is a big anchor keeping Kojima Productions tied to Sony for the foreseeable future. Kojima Pro has done a lot of working and tweaking on engine to get it working just how they want, collaboration has been so significant they even renamed the engine to reflect the Dutch-Japanese link.

Can't imagine Kojima Productions wanting to disregard all that after just 1 game and start from scratch again especially given how much Kojima disliked when it happened the last time.

Kojima said:
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201910/09184726.html
The game engine is basically a tool, so it has its own game design and it corresponds to it.
In that sense, the DECIMA engine is intended to create Horizon Zero Dawn, and we have improved the lighting and cutscene tools so that our work does not have the same worldview.
I think they(Guerrilla) will be able to advance DECIMA, and by integrating functions at a certain time, DECIMA can go up two or three steps in the near future.

Aug 26, 2019
I realize that it's actually really efficient for more than one studio to work on the same engine (in this case, DECIMA). Guerrilla might spend less time enhancing the lighting system for example, because of Kojima's work. IDK if things actually work like that, but it's just a thought.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
New job posting @ Sucker Punch

Are you a quick learning, self-starter looking for a fun challenge and a great team to collaborate with? Sucker Punch is searching for a Sound Implementer to assist our team in hooking up sounds in game.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I mean GG has been expanding, they plan to grow to 400 devs, releasing games even faster.

Yes, but they are still one studio. Another AAA European studio is still really lacking with considering how much PlayStation has grown this gen. I really think that is why they were rumored to be eyeing Remedy.

Well the headquarter of SIE in in the USA. So it makes sense that SIEA is taking control. And the most successful PlayStation exclusive is still The Last of Us (PS3/PS4) :P
But yeah, SIEE has not enough "core" studios. Studios that are developing those "core" titles like Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted, The Last of Us, God of War, Spider-Man, etc. It was mostly family/party titles like SingStar, Buzz, etc. Or they are VR-only studios (London Studio, Manchester Studio). It's basically just Guerrilla Games and maybe Media Molecue. So one or two more studios in europe would be nice. I'm all for Arrowhead Game Studio, Housemarque or Remedy Entertainment :)

I mean it could do with the location of the headquarters, but I think it also has to do with the perceived value of the American side of SIE. It just says to me that SIEA is in the position to gain ground because of the explosive success the company has had in NA with the PS4. The people in that segment of the business must feel that the US focus and marketing deals is what has driven PlayStation into being so profitable. It is really the very opposite of the PS3 era where SCEA made the PlayStation brand seem lethargic and unable to top the Xbox 360's popularity when the console was doing very well basically everywhere else.

And I really do think Spider-Man is going to end up topping The Last of Us, especially with it's numbers getting respectably close in a single year of sales. Hence the "arguably" part, Insomniac really made a monster hit.

Yeah, I think SIEE has some good studios under them (I love Media Molecule's work and their creative energy) but they just need another AAA studio to bolster the output of heavy hitters and also make a big budget game that sets itself further apart from the more expected flagship games. I'm eager to see what Arrowhead and Housemarque are making for PS5 though, they should be able to dazzle people with the tech jump and a bigger budget.

But a "Remedy x PlayStation" project could be damn amazing

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
So how are you guys enjoying Concrete Genie? A friend of mine praised the game a lot, tempted to jump in.

The game is really impressive, everything about it is well done and captivates you with the charm. I really love how Ash controls and jumps too, it makes me want the studio to make an action platformer on the PS5.

I think the artsy aspects of the game are great, but Sony has a very competent team there that I'd lke to see take on an even bigger project next time.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but they are still one studio. Another AAA European studio is still really lacking with considering how much PlayStation has grown this gen. I really think that is why they were rumored to be eyeing Remedy.

I mean it could do with the location of the headquarters, but I think it also has to do with the perceived value of the American side of SIE. It just says to me that SIEA is in the position to gain ground because of the explosive success the company has had in NA with the PS4. The people in that segment of the business must feel that the US focus and marketing deals is what has driven PlayStation into being so profitable. It is really the very opposite of the PS3 era where SCEA made the PlayStation brand seem lethargic and unable to top the Xbox 360's popularity when the console was doing very well basically everywhere else.

And I really do think Spider-Man is going to end up topping The Last of Us, especially with it's numbers getting respectably close in a single year of sales. Hence the "arguably" part, Insomniac really made a monster hit.

Yeah, I think SIEE has some good studios under them (I love Media Molecule's work and their creative energy) but they just need another AAA studio to bolster the output of heavy hitters and also make a big budget game that sets itself further apart from the more expected flagship games. I'm eager to see what Arrowhead and Housemarque are making for PS5 though, they should be able to dazzle people with the tech jump and a bigger budget.

But a "Remedy x PlayStation" project could be damn amazing.
Yeah let's wait and see. I hope the next SIE studio acquisition is for a european or japanese studio :)
So how are you guys enjoying Concrete Genie? A friend of mine praised the game a lot, tempted to jump in.
Started playing it yesterday. Lovely. So beautiful. So let's guy AA guys, go get it ;)

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've still not even downloaded Concrete Genie yet, I'll probably give it a try this weekend once I've got the last of Evil Within's DLC polished off, it looks like a really nice game so here's hoping I enjoy it.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Watched a few Concrete Genie videos last night and the game looks unique and surprisingly calming.
Of course visually, it looks amazing as well and I love the stop motion approach used for faces.

Considering there's a DOOM Eternal shaped hole in my wallet, think I'll pick this up before DS is out.
Its a game where I think you know what you're signing up for and if you're down with that it'll be a good time.

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018

I don't know if it has already been posted yet, but interesting nonetheless.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I realize that it's actually really efficient for more than one studio to work on the same engine (in this case, DECIMA). Guerrilla might spend less time enhancing the lighting system for example, because of Kojima's work. IDK if things actually work like that, but it's just a thought.
In general, not necessarily. Shared development can have significant frictional costs around communication, integration, problems with alignment of purpose, abstraction costs, etc. It can also help teams leg up through technology transfer, of course, share best practices, etc. But there's no way to know, and it can change over time.

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
I have a question for those subscribed to PSNow. It says you need a credit car and/or paypal, but that's just to purchase the subscritption right?
Once buy it, i can just remove the credit card information for my account and still use the service correct?

That's what I do when I subscibe the PS+ and I'm guessing it works the same way with PSNow.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I feel special if you're watching a movie because of me.

Joker was huge right? That seems pretty big, I still think this will do +10 million.
Yeah, Its good to see it in front of a big movie like Joker. I'd imagine TV ads will start up closer to release as well, I definitely think its going to be a fairly big game personally sales wise.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
That perhaps leaked slogan reminds me a lot of the PlayStation 2 slogan due to its design and inclusion of the symbols. In short, I really like it. Also, did anybody notice that the official PlayStation website has a Sony banner on the top that directs you to Sony's website? Looks like they are consolidating by making PlayStation integrated with the Sony brand name. I mean obviously people should know Sony makes them, but it seems now that the company really wants to embrace or absorb the PlayStation brand with the conglomerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.