• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
They leave too... ?
1571152389-screenshot-20191015-171254-com-android-chrome.jpg

1571152864-screenshot-20191015-172040-com-android-chrome.jpg

Or I did not understand ...

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Linkedin changed how it works so it's entirely possible that Jonathan is still working there, but his work on PII is finished and he's moved over to something else. There's nothing in his Twitter timeline that suggested that he'd left in September.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Honestly, looking at Cooper's profile, he's either going back to EA/Bioware (he worked there before) with a great opportunity, or he's taking a break from game studios to focus on sharing knowledge (book, courses, university, etc).
The latter has been a focus for him since a long time, and the former has a way better work/life balance than Naughty Dog (and likely a better salary too if he's leaving). He'd probably work on a Star Wars title, which is always a good temptation.

edit: anyway, it's a good time to leave when you're done with a project.
And the two people at the top of the page haven't left at all. There's "today/aujourd'hui" written, which just says they're still in this position.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Honestly, looking at Cooper's profile, he's either going back to EA/Bioware (he worked there before) with a great opportunity, or he's taking a break from game studios to focus on sharing knowledge (book, courses, university, etc).
The latter has been a focus for him since a long time, and the former has a way better work/life balance than Naughty Dog (and likely a better salary too if he's leaving). He'd probably work on a Star Wars title, which is always a good temptation.

edit: anyway, it's a good time to leave when you're done with a project.
And the two people at the top of the page haven't left at all. There's "today/aujourd'hui" written, which just says they're still in this position.
I think it's still not clear if he really left Naughty Dog. As someone else mentioned, his Twitter only says that he stopped working on TLOU2 last month. Either he quit at ND, which would be weird since we are mid October and no one posted a goodbye, or he just changed project within ND. ND is surely already in preproduction of their next game.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you guys even focusing on him so much? He was just one, of the many animators that works there.

Last edited:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I think it's still not clear if he really left Naughty Dog. As someone else mentioned, his Twitter only says that he stopped working on TLOU2 last month. Either he quit at ND, which would be weird since we are mid October and no one posted a goodbye, or he just changed project within ND. ND is surely already in preproduction of their next game.
Colleagues usually don't acknowledge this kind of thing if the person doesn't post a message about it, which he likely will when he's officially in his new role.
You don't update your Linkedin profile without adding a new position if it's in the same company, even for undisclosed projects.
Why are you guys even focusing on him so much? He was just one of the many animators that works there.
He's high profile and a good get for any studio.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'd much rather play Horizon 2 in early 2021 so the game isn't rushed to meet the PS5 launch. Even if they will have been working on the game for more than 3.5 years by the PS5 release, those extra months could go a long way if it releases in the following year.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'd much rather play Horizon 2 in early 2021 so the game isn't rushed to meet the PS5 launch. Even if they will have been working on the game for more than 3.5 years by the PS5 release, those extra months could go a long way if it releases in the following year.

I doubt they'll rush it out if it's not ready. I remember back during the PS4 launch when there was a Sucker Punch employee that had Second Son listed as a launch title, but that never was something announced publicly. It seemed like an internal goal and ultimately SS came out four months after the launch.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I doubt they'll rush it out if it's not ready. I remember back during the PS4 launch when there was a Sucker Punch employee that had Second Son listed as a launch title, but that never was something announced publicly. It seemed like an internal goal and ultimately SS came out four months after the launch.

Well Sony had Killzone: Shadow Fall, and to a lesser extent, Knack to be the first party muscle at launch then. If Horizon 2 is meant to be a launch title and there is no other big first party title ready then there won't be any room to delay it.

I mean I hope Ratchet and Clank PS5, Demon's Souls, and potentially Gran Turismo are the first party launch games and Horizon 2 is left to release when ready.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
A Fall 2020 release would give HZD2 a three year development. Considering it's a sequel made by a very competent team that has vastly increased in size, using tools and an engine that are among some of the best in the business, I doubt it will be "rushed".

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
A Fall 2020 release would give HZD2 a three year development. Considering it's a sequel made by a very competent team that has vastly increased in size, using tools and an engine that are among some of the best in the business, I doubt it will be "rushed".

I've taken all that into consideration, but this is a massive new franchise for PlayStation and when it launches it needs to amaze. The more development time it gets, the better. And the fact that the PS5 needing a big title at launch gives the feeling that it HAS to release at that date if Sony is banking on it being the launch showcase game.

It could very well still be amazing with the amount of dev time, but it would bother me knowing the game had to be ready at launch when the game should release when GG feels it is fully done.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Well Sony had Killzone: Shadow Fall, and to a lesser extent, Knack to be the first party muscle at launch then. If Horizon 2 is meant to be a launch title and there is no other big first party title ready then there won't be any room to delay it.

I mean I hope Ratchet and Clank PS5, Demon's Souls, and potentially Gran Turismo are the first party launch games and Horizon 2 is left to release when ready.

Something Yoshida has noted this generation is that they've learned that it's best, not just for the games but also financially overall, to just let games come together without rushing them to completion. Look at how they handled DS, Part II and possibly GoT as an example of this. Those developers were allowed to work on their games without announcing even a timeframe until they were specifically ready to announce a date. With Horizon they have a big new franchise, and I think the potential downsides outweigh any upsides there may be in pushing it out at launch.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Y'all take this too seriously. These devs gonna do what's best for them and if they get offered more money somewhere else they are gonna take it.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Something Yoshida has noted this generation is that they've learned that it's best, not just for the games but also financially overall, to just let games come together without rushing them to completion. Look at how they handled DS, Part II and possibly GoT as an example of this. Those developers were allowed to work on their games without announcing even a timeframe until they were specifically ready to announce a date. With Horizon they have a big new franchise, and I think the potential downsides outweigh any upsides there may be in pushing it out at launch.

Well there is only partial truth to that. The PS4 was a runaway success and practically sells itself so I can understand that mentality when there is much less pressure at that point of the PS4's life cycle for that wave of exclusives.

Launching what I believe will be a pricey ($499) new major platform means that they have to have a couple of enticing first party games no matter what. There isn't an option for them in this case to allow more dev time if that means a barren launch for first party games, so I just hope Horizon 2 isn't meant to carry the line-up.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Don't kill me guys, but I want a casual mode for Demon's Souls. And by that I mean a slight challenge as if it were a regular action combat game.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Potential +5 million seller games don't make sense when not enough install base, being launch games is a mistake imo.
1-2 million sellers that cater to specific 'hardcore' gamers, usually early adopters, seems more reasonable to me.
So for me Demon's souls remake or Bloodborne sequel would make much more sense (even if those don't interest me at all) than horizon for example.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I see it as a launch window release like Infamous Second Son, so Feb/March the year after. That would mean around 4 years in production which is a healthy cycle for what I'm guessing is an iterative sequel. Then again if they are properly leveraging the PS5 they may need more time.

HZD2 I'm sure is going to be anywhere from November 2021 to April 2022.

Oct 25, 2017
Is a developer or what?
what games did she made?
You miss e3 she was developing ghost wire tokyo
helped on Okami
Concept art for bayo
And lead concept for evil within
She's made fuck all, but for some reason so many people on this forum are obsessed with her.
and for some reason some ppl on this forum get so mad about it lol. Yet y'all get excited in here for y'all corys, neils etc. what's wrong now all of a sudden. Ppl latch on to a personality nothing new

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
You miss e3 she was developing ghost wire tokyo
helped on Okami
Concept art for bayo
And lead concept for evil within

and for some reason some ppl on this forum get so mad about it lol. Yet y'all get excited in here for y'all corys, neils etc. what's wrong now all of a sudden. Ppl latch on to a personality nothing new
Surely you can understand why people get excited about talent like Cory/Druckmann/Kojima and etc.

She simply hasn't done anything remotely comparable to be mentioned alongside these directors.

Oct 25, 2017
Was she even known before last E3? I'm not sure why people are saying to hire her.

Whether you believe she is worth hiring or not you cannot deny there is a LOT of smoke. She has been in the industry for a long time and learned under Mikami. You talk like she is someone that has never worked on a game before. I'm not saying she deserves her own studio right, but Hell yes hire her. The fact that she wants to make horror games bringing something different to WWS as well.

Surely you can understand why people get excited about talent like Cory/Druckmann/Kojima and etc.

She simply hasn't done anything remotely comparable to be mentioned alongside these directors.

Who said she was? She is a rising talent though. Who was Druckmman 10 years ago?

Oct 25, 2017

She doesn't have to you saying she did fuck all is some bullshit
The way this thread act toward anything not made by them devs is honestly off putting as hell

Status
Not open for further replies.