• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
What is the reason for Sony to fund an exclusive FPS when they got all of them by default, and they usually get exclusive content through marketing deals or similar on top of that?
The JRPG argument was that there's nearly no high budget games in the genre anymore, there's an audience wanting that (and it's shown through sales numbers).

The reason for them to fund an exclusive FPS is that it'll push a tonne of console sales (provided it's not just an average game), more than an exclusive JRPG would.

And no that's not the only reason I want them to make an exclusive FPS - I just want more FPSs lol. Out of your list the only one that appealed to me was Titanfall 2, and even that didn't have much lasting power due to lack of depth.

Bingo. The FPS community is constantly being fed full-course meals, whereas JRPG fans looking for big-budget experiences have to subsist on scraps praying for Square Enix to actually finish a project every four years or so.

Poor JRPG fans.

The truth is a successful FPS exclusive will push more console sales for Sony than a AAA JRPG.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's realistic to expect a AAA jrpg from sony. I remember a couple years ago square enix admitting to struggling to find the talent to even get to that quality. So where would these people come from to make it. They could buy an already small studio and build it up to that point but that would take probably take a long time.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's realistic to expect a AAA jrpg from sony. I remember a couple years ago square enix admitting to struggling to find the talent to even get to that quality. So where would these people come from to make it. They could buy an already small studio and build it up to that point but that would take probably take a long time.
Buy Square Enix, problem solved!

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway... I don't remember if a thread was made about that weird "full BC for PS5" rumor, but:

Everyone obviously immediately thinks that when he says that he's heard the PS5 is about "history" that it's just referring to BC. But I hope it's more than that and really a general console philosophy for it. This generation more than any other they've seemed to start caring about their past more. They've gotten behind and heavily promoted remakes like Crash, Spyro, RE2 and FF7R, they've remastered Parappa and remade SotC and MediEvil. In previous generations they'd only really look back to the generation before that one. But they have so much nostalgia built up, both from first and third party titles, that it's amazing how little they tap into that overall. It's something that Nintendo has excelled at over the years and has allowed them to continually keep a number of IP's relevant.

They've been shown how nostalgic people are for old PS platformers this generation. Ape Escape is super obvious, and at launch would get a ton of exposure. You've got games like SOCOM, Warhawk and Twisted Metal that would all be great as F2P games as their popularity is largely driven by their multiplayer side. JRPG's like LoD and Wild ARMS. A remake of IQ would make for a great and small digital release. Even talking specifically about Japan they have something like Ore-no Ryouri. They've got a ton of stuff they can work with but it's been largely left in the past as of now.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You all asking for genres that PS4 has tons (exclusive or not) and here I am hoping for at least one AAA QD style of game next gen.
Other than Sony no other publisher wants to invest alot of money in that genre.

THANK U!

This is the only genre PlayStation needs more of. We already got a relationship with CoD. And JRPG..? That genre can piss off 🙃

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I wonder if Sony and Activision's controversial relationship will persist next-gen. Fairly confident that it would consider Xbox isn't in that sort of thing these days.
Sony would be insane to not at least try, being able to market Call of Duty along your console is huge especially when launching a new console. Continuing the deal means Sony could put Call of Duty in their PS5 launch ads.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god not this again. Maybe there are enough for you since you don't care much for the genre, but don't go around as if speaking for everyone.

Would you say to MS that Halo isn't needed because the genre is "saturated"?

It isn't about the total amount of FPSs available, it's about having an outstanding exclusive FPS to make players choose your console over the other, and given how huge of a genre FPS is that's important.

Apparently there aren't many people interested in another FPS but people are "clamouring" for a JRPG of all things. Lol
Some can clamour for both, the spice of life is variety. Add a racing game, an horror game. Don't forget to, from time to time revisit older IP such as Ape escape and others. I never got why some say that because third party are already doing stuff in certain genres Sony should not. That's complete bogus. Art has no limit and Sony as a Publisher should not have either.

Good thing I don't plan to die for the foreseeable future, and I don't think Sony neither. So why not do EXACTLY that, that's what Square do, they form their staff themselves. VanillaWare do the same for their 2D animator and so and so on...
Plus they might be able to use the GR engine, don't know, maybe, that would help.

Last edited:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The reason for them to fund an exclusive FPS is that it'll push a tonne of console sales (provided it's not just an average game), more than an exclusive JRPG would.

And no that's not the only reason I want them to make an exclusive FPS - I just want more FPSs lol. Out of your list the only one that appealed to me was Titanfall 2, and even that didn't have much lasting power due to lack of depth.

Poor JRPG fans.

The truth is a successful FPS exclusive will push more console sales for Sony than a AAA JRPG.
Did Killzone push console sales? Did Resistance push console sales?
We're not in an era where exclusive FPS push console sales anymore since you get all the great FPS on all consoles anyway. It's not like when Goldeneye and Halo were system sellers.
JRPGs diversify the userbase and bring other players in at least, you can't say the same for FPS.

You say you just want more FPS, and you say only Titanfall 2 was appealing to you, in a list with Doom, Dusk, Devil Daggers, and Metro Exodus, all very highly rated titles. I'm not sure what to say to you outside of diversifying your horizons and trying other games in the same genre. For someone supposedly liking the genre, you don't seem to like much, and really seem to want an exclusive FPS just to say you got another exclusive.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Sony doesn't need to invest in JRPG's, unless they have teams willing to make one. JRPG's come to PlayStation as a default nowadays anyway, so why invest further beyond in an area they already have covered? Cinematic action adventures are synonymous with Sony first party studios and they are practically the main publisher of those. Assassin's Creed has become a pseudo-RPG, Rockstar take a long time releasing their main games and the rest are titles here and there. That's their core specialty and they should continue to build on their strengths and make it so if you want these type of games, you have to have a PlayStation, (Remedy and Bluepoint come to mind).

Where Sony needs to invest are in areas where the PS4 was clearly lacking in, for example racing games. PlayStation used to be the home of racing games on PS1 and PS2 but since the PS3, the Xbox took the crown and have held onto it. Driveclub was a tragedy but the way they are handling GT needs to be improved. I'm all for letting Kazunori take his time and let PD grow GT Sport into a decent game since launch. Heck, they apparently sold 8m copies, but they could do so much more and better with that legendary IP.

That being said, I'd love to see Resistance return. Less focused on pushing competitive multiplayer as its main draw but like Resistance 3, make a fantastic FPS single player, or with a robust campaign co-op. It would make it so they don't just make third person games either.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Sony doesn't need to invest in JRPG's, unless they have teams willing to make one. JRPG's come to PlayStation as a default nowadays anyway, so why invest further beyond in an area they already have covered?
The reason why has been said in multiple posts already.

For racing games, they had the studios and closed some, they have the brands, and messed up the focus of those games (or didn't even make some). It's not an investment issue there, it's a strategy and design one.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Concrete Genie download code for whoever grabs it first- EH6M-NHN4-C3EJ. Neat game, check it out.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
I really want Horizon to go all out for more RPGish. Add companions, more armor slots, expanded skill tree, more unique loot, branching choices, etc...

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't imagine the visuals of a Horizon 2 on next gen hardware..

zwgobo9a5eqcvx4fkyib.jpg

pacywhfxxibfnqdqmsuz.jpg

ce1dtiymnw4gabcf5gyh.png

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Wat

PS5 reveal this year then? CONFIRMED?
Sooooo, about this. That guy who leaked TLoU release date back in June is saying something for November.

Of course, take all of this with a grain of salt. Also, I saw some people who shouldn't be mentioned here talking about that big backward compatibility plan, as something that they heard from sources too but can't confirm. Again, a grain of salt. I personally believe that this can be true.

TiG

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sooooo, about this. That guy who leaked TLoU release date back in June is saying something for November.

Of course, take all of this with a grain of salt. Also, I saw some people who shouldn't be mentioned here talking about that big backward compatibility plan, as something that they heard from sources too but can't confirm. Again, a grain of salt. I personally believe that this can be true.

That's not what they are saying.

They mean they are taking a one month break. As in not leaking anything till November.

This was posted on September 30th.

They will apparently resume talking in November.

Doesn't mean that PSX is in November.

Here's an older tweet:

So let's see if they are right.

Last edited:

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It would be pretty dumb to announce it right before Black Friday and Holidays tho

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
So Horizon 2, New Capcom game, Rocksteady's new game, Bluepoint's remake/remaster.. should be a great PS5 reveal.
And I'd expect Square-Enix will be there with something too since they are a regular at these reveal events for Sony.

I couldn't imagine the visuals of a Horizon 2 on next gen hardware..
Yeah, it's hard to imagine what Guerrilla will be able to do with another great hardware jump given how gorgeous the first game already was. Can't wait to see whenever the time comes.

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
Makes absolutely no sense to reveal the PS5 before Christmas but who knows. They have already started talking about it anyway and we know it's out next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.