• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Days Gone probably had the highest ROI this gen out of all Sony larger releases considering the minuscule team size.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
If Bend can clean up their writing a little bit, Sky's the limit for the studio.

There were a couple really odd moments in the story with DG. I know initially that there were plans to have story choices and that they were cut, so it could be because of that. But what was left was kinda jarring. The part where Rikki is really coming onto Deacon even though she's in a relationship with Addi. Deacon rejects her, but it's super odd that everything just goes back to "normal" after that. And then the ending where Boozer appears to die and then pops back up, the way the character react to it was strange. Like you'd expect a bit more shock and excitement, but there really wasn't any.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With two SIE EU folks in charge of SIE, it's gonna be interesting to watch if something will change with SIE WWS output in Europe.
Most of the big titles are coming from SIEA's WWS. With the exception of Guerrilla Games.
Quick overview:
Media Molecule - Their last game was Tearaway, made by a small internal team for the PS VITA in 2013 (Unfolded got ported/remade by Tarsier). Their last big game by their main team was LittleBigPlanet 2 in 2011. So 5 years went by since Tearaway released and their next game, Dreams, still didn't really fully launch. It's still in the early access phase.
London Studio - Mostly smaller-ish titles. SingStar in 2014, PSVR Worlds in 2016, another SingStar in 2017, Blood & Truth in 2019.
Manchester Studio - Set up in 2015. New studio. Still missing in action. VR-only studio. Rumored to be working together with London Studio on a new VR title.
That's about it. There is still XDev Studio, the external support group which does not make their own games.
The only european studio with the heavy hitters (AAA games) this gen was:
Guerrilla Games - Killzone: Shadow Fall in 2013, Horizon: Zero Dawn in 2017 and HZD: The Frozen Wilds in 2017.

So the EU output overall for this gen (internally developed games) is "okay" imho. And I would say without HZD it would be disappointing.

Will Jim & Hermen change something here? London Studio is hiring right now. Guerilla Games will soon be in their new office, so they can grow to the announced "400 people". But other than that? Are they fine with only GG releasing the heavy hitters?
The rest is making casual games, VR games and "create & share" games (Media Molcule with Dreams).

I still hope Sony acquires Bluepoint Games (Texas/USA). But let's see if they want to add another studio in Europe. There are Arrowhead (Sweden), Housemarque (Finland), or Remedy (Finland). Great and talented studios.
Then there are countries (governments) which are funding/supporting game studios. Canada (I know, not EU), UK, France, Poland and Germany. Kinda weird that Sony doesn't care. It's basically free money :P

Let's see if Jim and Hermen are going to upgrade SIE WWS in Europe. Or if they are fine with their output.

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda spectacular when you think about it.

EI-YC_uU0AATZhK

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
With two SIE EU folks in charge of SIE, it's gonna be interesting to watch if something will change with SIE WWS output in Europe.
Most of the big titles are coming from SIEA's WWS. With the exception of Guerrilla Games.
Quick overview:
Media Molecule - Their last game was Tearaway, made by a small internal team for the PS VITA in 2013 (Unfolded got ported/remade by Tarsier). Their last big game by their main team was LittleBigPlanet 2 in 2011. So 5 years went by since Tearaway released and their next game, Dreams, still didn't really fully launch. It's still in the early access phase.
London Studio - Mostly smaller-ish titles. SingStar in 2014, PSVR Worlds in 2016, another SingStar in 2017, Blood & Truth in 2019.
Manchester Studio - Set up in 2015. New studio. Still missing in action. VR-only studio. Rumored to be working together with London Studio on a new VR title.
That's about it. There is still XDev Studio, the external support group which does not make their own games.
Guerrilla Games - Killzone: Shadow Fall in 2013, Horizon: Zero Dawn in 2017 and HZD: The Frozen Wilds in 2017.

So the EU output overall for this gen (internally developed games) is "okay" imho. And I would say without HZD it would be disappointing.

Will Jim & Hermen change something here? London Studio is hiring right now. Guerilla Games will soon be in their new office, so they can grow to the announced "400 people". But other than that? Are they fine with only GG releasing the heavy hitters?
The rest is making casual games, VR games and "create & share" games (Media Molcule with Dreams).

I still hope Sony acquires Bluepoint Games (Texas/USA). But let's see if they want to add another studio in Europe. There are Arrowhead (Sweden), Housemarque (Finland), or Remedy (Finland). Great and talented studios.
Then there are countries (governments) which are funding/supporting game studios. Canada (I know, not EU), UK, France, Poland and Germany. Kinda weird that Sony doesn't care. It's basically free money :P

Let's see if Jim and Hermen are going to upgrade SIE WWS in Europe. Or if they are fine with their output.
There's no SIEE or SIEA's WWS. The WWS is a separate global subsidiary that doesn't report to the local branches but to Jim Ryan.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Arrowhead have not put out anything other than Helldiver support for like 4 years... I would honestly not be shocked if they beat Housemarque to their AAA debut.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Quick overview:

I would think the goal would be to have two AAA quality assured studios in each region.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Arrowhead have not put out anything other than Helldiver support for like 4 years... I would honestly not be shocked if they beat Housemarque to their AAA debut.
They are working on their first AAA game since Helldivers launched. It's a 3rd person co-op shooter. And if I had to guess, I would say it's another Sony IP. And yeah, imo they will launch their game first. Housemarque a year or two later.
I would think the goal would be to have two AAA quality assured studios in each region.
Would be nice. Let's see ;)

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding is freaking awesome. I'm just sitting here driving multiple trucks along a broken highway and repairing it and racking up likes like I'm the most popular son of a gun in the world.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
So a player has over 1 million likes already from other players

Oh man WTF, this player I've been obsessing over (guy with 1 million likes) LIKED some of my stuff.

This is so fucking weird LMAO. How the fuck did Kojima cultivate parasocial relationships in a fucking video game bro. I'm eagerly anticipating getting likes from certain players and that's so fucking weird. I actively look for their structures in the environment to give likes to aswell.

5pVhyng.png

uWLvOdK.jpg

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Preach brother! I would never let reviewers who have time and time again demonstrated that they don't know shit when it comes to how much I'm going to enjoy a game stop me from picking up a game I was interested in. If a game appeals to me then I'm going to pick it up. Period. I've ended up loving some fairly low scored games, especially this gen and I'm glad I don't care what they have to say anymore.
Sometimes people wrote about how in the old days of video games magazines the press was more serious. It always baffled me, the press is and always was just part of the marketing sadly, especially reviews.

Oct 1, 2019

I think they should bolster their internal EU output in a major way since it's their biggest market. Studio expansions and acquisitions should do the trick. We are already seeing the expansion side with Guerilla Games. In terms of acquisition, based on Jim Ryan's recent statements, acquisitions might happen but I don't think it would be on the Insomniac acquisition scale. With this, I could see Housemarque and Arrowhead getting acquired after a successful exclusive game launch but I don't see a Remedy acquisition.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
A little prediction game folks ?
We won't have numbers but we will probably have " # Best opening for a Sony published game"

I guess it will be the 7th best opening for Sony, between Days Gone and Uncharted 4

For reference :

Death Stranding will have 23 days tracked

Game (Days of tracking) : Sales
  1. Spiderman (23 days) : > 2.6 million (incl. digital)
  2. God of War (16 days) : ~1.9 million. (incl. digital + bundles)
  3. God of War 3 (19 days) : 1.15 million
  4. Horizon Zero Dawn (33 days) : > 1 million (incl. digital) more than U4 / 648k physical alone
  5. The Last of Us (24 days) : 985k physical (> 1 million incl. digital)
  6. Uncharted 4 (19 days) : 828k physical / 879k (incl. bundles) / > 1m (incl. digital)
  7. Days Gone (9 days)
  8. God of War 2 (26 days) : 833k
  9. Uncharted 3 (28 days) : 700k / 838k (incl. bundles)
More than God of War 3.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
We won't have numbers but we will probably have " # Best opening for a Sony published game"

I guess it will be the 7th best opening for Sony, between Days Gone and Uncharted 4

For reference :

4. Horizon Zero Dawn (33 days) : > 1 million (incl. digital) more than U4 / 648k physical alone
  6. Uncharted 4 (19 days) : 828k physical / 879k (incl. bundles) / > 1m (incl. digital)
  7. Days Gone (9 days)
A bit over a million.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

For reference :

7. Days Gone (9 days)
around on par with horizon is my guess.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys need your help .

Death stranding or control as my next game purchase?control is on sale on pan for 40$ normal version and 50 $ including the season pass . Death stranding is 60$ .

At the moment I m finishing up days gone (loved it 8.5/10). I dropped KH 3 to play days gone as it grabbed me more but will go back to it soon as it looked cool.

So again I ask , death stranding or control ?
modiz did you play control ? Which one you recommend if so ?

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Guys need your help .

Death stranding or control as my next game purchase?control is on sale on pan for 40$ normal version and 50 $ including the season pass . Death stranding is 60$ .

At the moment I m finishing up days gone (loved it 8.5/10). I dropped KH 3 to play days gone as it grabbed me more but will go back to it soon as it looked cool.

Wildly different games. These sort of comparisons come down to your mood.

You want a cool supernatural third perdpn shooter? Or something completely different and fresh, but not combat focused??

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Quick overview:

EU prodution: Drive, Wipeout, Rigs, Detroit...

but yeah they got closed or dont work anymore exclusively for Sony.
I also think that one more european AAA studio would be good.

or maybe Sony thinks that massively expanding is enough for the moment.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
Is it me or is this thread moving way faster than the previous one? Seems like a lot of things going on lately for Playstation.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Guys need your help .

i really, REALLY wanted to get control, but i have a base ps4 and what i saw of the performance was really bad so i am waiting for the PS5 for it.

the thing about death stranding, i cant tell you if you will like it, its a big bet for anyone to buy the game, i am personally in love and seems like most of the OT is too. control is also looking really cool but is much more traditional gameplay wise, so most people will definitely enjoy it.

its really your choice, do you want an atmospheric TPS with awesome super powers or a new take on open world game, much less combat and is a beautiful well designed game, but riskier.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I love Haruka as a character but by god they wrap some bullshit gameplay up with her. I hoped to have Yakuza Kiwami 2 platinumed before starting Death Stranding on Friday, but that didn't happen so I pushed DS back (I'm off work all next so it's not a major deal) but progress has been way slower than I hoped. I'm starting DS tomorrow no matter what, but I hope I can get YK2 done before Shenmue III.
Let me guess, its golf (bingo) isn't it? Or is it Poker? As the whole Poker requirement was annoying as the cheat item only makes the AI more likely to fold and bet less, making actually getting the gambling requirement for Haruka harder, not easier!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I want to start off by saying that i'm really not trying to be combative to anyone here, but I just want to give a piece of advice to people that doesn't just apply to video games (even though i'm bringing it up specifically for video game reasons here).

In general, if you're attacking "the media", you're losing. If you're angry with an outlet, then name that outlet or the specific media member you're upset with, and present evidence as to why that outlet/media member is unethical and should be criticized. Blasting "the media" as a whole is a very wide net defense often employed by people who've done something wrong or have something to hide.

In this instance, i'm specifically talking about video game reviewers. This isn't specific to this thread by any stretch but this is the 2nd time this year i've seen people ripping all reviewers simply for voicing their opinion about a game. Alot of reviewers genuinely don't like Death Stranding and Days Gone (along with alot of other prominent games like Anthem and Breakpoint). This doesn't make them stupid, wrong, or a fanboy of another system, it just means that they didn't like the game, and that's ok.

If you find out that a reviewer has admitted to hating Playstation or is angry that a company didn't bribe them for a good review score and you have receipts for these types of things, absolutely produce them and put that reviewer on blast, but that's not what happens 99.99% of the time.

There's a reason why publishers/developers are moving away from traditional game reviewers and moving towards influencers, because the game reviewers as a whole have alot more integrity than influencers and are much less likely to become part of the marketing strategy, influencers literally have a dollar value they assign to themselves for their services.

I also see the criticism that low review scores can affect bonuses for developers, but that's not the reviewers problem, that's an issue with developers signing terrible contracts and publishers exploiting them. We shouldn't care about review scores anyways because its so hard to assign a number to your enjoyment of a video game in the first place, and it causes 99% of people to not read the review.

The truth is that alot of the times you can love a game that alot of reviewers don't like. I think the best example of this for me personally is the first Nier, i LOVE that game, but it has terrible visuals, a tiny world, uninteresting quest design, shallow combat, a really bad farming mini game, horrible amount so grinding required to unlock the final endings, and is only 15 hours long despite being an RPG. It deserves the 6s it got, i disagree that it's a 6, and thats ok.

And again, i really hope i'm not coming off as combative and i'm certainly not criticizing anyone in particular, it's just a subject that rubs me the wrong way in the...uhh.. lets call it "Fake news" timeline we currently live in.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they should bolster their internal EU output in a major way since it's their biggest market. Studio expansions and acquisitions should do the trick. We are already seeing the expansion side with Guerilla Games. In terms of acquisition, based on Jim Ryan's recent statements, acquisitions might happen but I don't think it would be on the Insomniac acquisition scale. With this, I could see Housemarque and Arrowhead getting acquired after a successful exclusive game launch but I don't see a Remedy acquisition.
Yep. Either Arrowhead, Housemarque or Supermassive Games. If they want to go big then Remedy.
Guys need your help .
Death Stranding. Join the hype!
EU prodution: Drive, Wipeout, Rigs, Detroit...
but yeah they got closed or dont work anymore exclusively for Sony.
I also think that one more european AAA studio would be good.
or maybe Sony thinks that massively expanding is enough for the moment.
Jim Ryan said they are ready for more acquisitions. So one more studio in Europe and Japan would be great (together with Bluepoint Games) ;)
  7. Days Gone (9 days)
You can update your chart with ~850k (incl. digital) for Days Gone as mentioned in the NPD thread back then ;)

Oct 25, 2017
Let me guess, its golf (bingo) isn't it? Or is it Poker? As the whole Poker requirement was annoying as the cheat item only makes the AI more likely to fold and bet less, making actually getting the gambling requirement for Haruka harder, not easier!

I needed one more restaurant item to complete her requests, but she kept wanting either Poker or Koi-Koi, no matter how many times I changed city. This was in NG+ so it had reset whatever internal tracker the game used to decide what she wanted next, without resetting the awards list so I had to redo almost everyone of her requests again just to clear the 10 I hadn't done the first time around. I decided to go for Koi-Koi, since the Poker one was such a PITA the first time around. Still took me 5 tries to meet her requirements, but fortunately she wanted the final item next.

Still a long and grindy road to the Yakuza Kiwami 2 platinum (NG+ resets all the Bouncer missions, ugh) but it's Death Stranding time. Maybe I'll return to it later in the week, should still give me enough time before Shenmue, unless my KS copy comes early.

Hendrixx

Nov 1, 2017
Small-ish award but Days Gone won Best Score for a Videogame at the Jerry Goldsmith Awards.

Also nominated was Blood & Truth (the music in that is awesome!)

Full list was:
XIV Jerry Goldsmith Awards Nominations.

Best Score for a Videogame

* 'Days Gone' - Nathan Whitehead (USA)
* 'Remnat from the Ashes' - Rob Westwood (UK)
* 'Battle Tech: Urban Warfare' - Jon Everist (USA)
* 'Darksiders 3' - Cris Velasco (USA)
* 'Frostpunk' - Piotr Musiał (Poland)
* 'Control' - Petri Alanko and Martin Stig Andersen (Finland/Denmark)
* 'State of Decay 2' - Jesper Kyd (USA)
* 'Blood and Truth' - Jim Fowler and Joe Thwaites (UK)
* 'Outer Wilds' - Andrew Prahlow (USA)
* 'Fallout 76' - Inon Zur (Israel)

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
comment_NqQ4VEJVHss07L2URfCiyfft6X7TsPG1.gif

Supermassive Games? Hell to the no. They've made only ONE decent game. Rest are just mediocre or straight up trash. Sony, please stay away from Supermassive games.
Agreed, but for another reason... They don't seem to know how to manage their output AT ALL. After Until Dawn: Two UD spinoffs, that one detective game no one bought, and the first installment in a anthology series that they have claimed will contain at least 8 games (two releasing each year). It's like they want to end up like TT games.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Unt

Until Dawn had years and years of iteration, Sony's premier engine and a cast containing future Oscar winners. Sony gave them carte Blanche.

It started life as a PS3 move game and was being worked on before move was even shown at E3
They have put out 4 games since Until Dawn, yet it seems like they have failed evolve the studio in any meaningful way :(

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They have put out 4 games since Until Dawn, yet it seems like they have failed evolve the studio in any meaningful way :(

Indeed. They work on a lot of projects and I think they spread too thin. They are almost mercenaries. Fewer teams with more focus is the way to go.
Insomniac work on a lot of projects, but the quality is always high. I think Supermassive try too much

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Man of Medan shows that they still have what it takes to make something like UD. It's "problem" was really down to how short it was so you never really could get connected to the characters in the same way that you did in UD.

Status
Not open for further replies.