• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I think it would be beneficial to actually let the player build their character around a playstyle they enjoy. Half the reason I quit Horizon was because none of the combat options were fun to me in the slightest. I hate traps, I don't like ranged weapons, and anything larger than small enemies couldn't be stealth killed, so there was really no entertainment in the combat system whatsoever for me.

That way, people who just wanna shoot shit can still do that but people who find guns boring don't have to.

I understand that, what I'm saying is that from what I felt on the game I don't think they'll want you to take the bigger machines with the spear.
Maybe they could add some new tech to the spear (or a new melee weapon) like elemental damage or something that's effective against them but at the same time, fighting lesser machines and humans will be extremely trivial.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
Ascension is in no way comparable to Order 1886. On any metric. That's an absurd comparison.

RAD got a shot at a console game and botched it hard.
Its not absurd. The Order is (only) good game, they botched it BUT still game made profit. And this situation is still much better that cancelled game by Santa Monica which made loss :)

Another case - Supermassive Games. They made worse games than The Order and, what we know, they make exclusives for Sony.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
What's more interesting is the price. Sony will price Dreams in the same range as their AA/small AAA offering ($40)

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
Huge difference in critical acclaim between those games. Also forgetting one key difference. Sony actually OWNS one of those studios, and has stock in them doing well, so they have a reason to stick with them. The other studio is fully independent, and shat the bed in a big way the last time Sony threw cash at them.
Reason? Where was reason when they shut down Evolution Games or Guerilla Cambridge?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could you link source? :)
You guys and your sources.... ;)
I didn't post the source on purpose because people here love to make threads for every small BS update/rumor etc. See the "Cory Barlog tweet" thread.

Source:
loinkn6jpg.jpg

So before anyone gets a conniption after reading the "APIs for PC". That's normal. Everything "runs on PC" while being in development for PC. And as you can see once again, Decima will be used by a small group of studios. Guerrilla, KojiPro and maybe Wild Sheep Studio. So no, it won't be an open engine for everybody, as some here have hoped. It's a Sony engine for Sony games. Next: Horizon 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Its not absurd. The Order is (only) good game, they botched it BUT still game made profit. And this situation is still much better that cancelled game by Santa Monica which made loss :)

Another case - Supermassive Games. They made worse games than The Order and, what we know, they make exclusives for Sony.

It is an absurd comparison. There is a 17 point difference on Metacritic between the two games and sales also favored Ascension.

Further, Santa Monica already had a proven track record with making console developed games. While RAD botched their first big attempt, which by the way had massive marketing and still sold an insignificant amount compared to actual big games.

If your cinematic third-person shooter is selling less copies than Ueda's delayed 8 year old game about a creature that doesn't listen to you or From Softwares niche focused hardcore title while having significantly more marketing, then yes, you botched that shit hard.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reason? Where was reason when they shut down Evolution Games or Guerilla Cambridge?
Guerilla Cambridge... I understand. Those guys exuded potential, and I soo wanted them working on a new Killzone.
Evo though.. made a massive, huge, PR blunder right out the gate of PS4. Driveclub was to be a launch title and a massive PR boon to them charging for PS+, to soften the blow, we were going to get the game for free at launch.. which Evo delayed.
Then the game released and it was utterly frustrating it couldn't stay online for more than 5 seconds, and the studio embarrassly said they never anticipated so many people connecting to it at the same time...
Top of the fact.. UK studios cost alot to run, more so than most places in the world. Not to mention Brexit fears and how that would affect a big studio like Evo.
All in all... maybe Sony did it because they didn't want to have a tainted name associated with PS5 launch, like all these problems to be associated with them again.
All in all.. I will miss them. I loved what Driveclub wanted to do, the graphics were and are insane, the best storm graphics I've ever seen.
But Im sure the above contributed to why they were shut down.

However, I think it was just foolish to close Guerilla Cambridge...
Unless Brexit jitters etc forced their hand.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
👍

Should be a big seller worldwide I reckon. Despite concerns over the numbers in the UK.
Little update with a few more titles:

Launch in Japan:
Death Stranding: ~185k
Bloodborne: ~153k
Uncharted 4: ~129k
Spider-Man: ~125k
Horizon Zero Dawn: ~117k
Days Gone: ~115k
The Last Guardian: ~82k
God of War: ~46k

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
So do we think Horizon 2 will use Death Stranding's traversal? It's great and realistic and not superhero like as in AC.
I really hope not. DS is my GotY, but it's a different beast. I don't want a stamina bar, encumbrance, or balancing in Horizon. As far as traversal goes, the next Horizon should have improved animation, more mountable machines, Assassin's Creed-like climb anything traversal, and improved swimming (including underwater). DS traversal would be a negative for Horizon.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So currently MGSV sold more than Death Stranding in both of the markets we got data for, how did it only sell +6 million? It wasn't that big rest of the world?

I really hope not. DS is my GotY, but it's a different beast. I don't want a stamina bar, encumbrance, or balancing in Horizon. As far as traversal goes, the next Horizon should have improved animation, more mountable machines, Assassin's Creed-like climb anything traversal, and improved swimming (including underwater). DS traversal would be a negative for Horizon.
As I've said, I was only talking about the way climbing is handled, there are no yellow markings in Death Stranding, if something looks claimable then you'll be able to climb it, I'm personally not much of a fan of AC climbing or BOTW anymore, it just looks ridiculous.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure it's good, but compared to other big Sony games? That's at least 4 million less.
Well Metal Gear Solid isn't a Sony game ;) And we don't know how Death Stranding is selling / will sell worldwide. It's a new IP. So the chances are high it will sell around 5 - 8 million. Kinda like Days Gone.

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Underground
As I've said, I was only talking about the way climbing is handled, there are no yellow markings in Death Stranding, if something looks claimable then you'll be able to climb it, I'm personally not much of a fan of AC climbing or BOTW anymore, it just looks ridiculous.
Well yeah, Horizon should definitely ditch the obvious, yellow climbing points and such.

Thinking about it more, I want traversal to be fast & fluid, with the ability to climb nearly anything that makes sense. Still no stamina bar, but have tools like player placed anchor points and using the ropecaster to make your own tightropes. Also for smoother surfaces, have a pick like in Uncharted 4/Tomb Raider.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah, Horizon should definitely ditch the obvious, yellow climbing points and such.

Thinking about it more, I want traversal to be fast & fluid, with the ability to climb nearly anything that makes sense. Still no stamina bar, but have tools like player placed anchor points and using the ropecaster to make your own tightropes. Also for smoother surfaces, have a pick like in Uncharted 4/Tomb Raider.
Grappling gun that fires an anchor that embeds itself in the cliff face and secures itself in the there with a hardening foam. Aloy takes wire | rope and attaches it to an ascension winch on her person and zips right up. She can fire another anchoring point as needed.

There should also be manual climbing of craggy cliff faces. You'd use the grappling tool for smooth 90° surfaces or fast ascension.

That would be my solution to climbing in Horizon.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Grappling gun that fires an anchor that embeds itself in the cliff face and secures itself in the there with a hardening foam. Aloy takes wire | rope and attaches it to an ascension winch on her person and zips right up. She can fire another anchoring point as needed.

There should also be manual climbing of craggy cliff faces. You'd use the grappling tool for smooth 90° surfaces or fast ascension.

Yeah, this sounds good as well.

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
Just catching up with the Jim Ryan interview. He explains the restructuring well enough and states again that Sony are hoping to a transition gamers to the next console at a pace faster than before. Makes me wonder what they have to announce to speed that process along.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Sony's Jim Ryan: We had to make changes to deliver our PlayStation 5 dream

Jim Ryan wants to have a word.PlayStation's boss wanted to address some of the points that were raised in an article we…

xeroyear

Nov 8, 2018
Does anyone know why the PlayStation Now OT was moved to the Hangout side of Era when Game Pass and Xbox Backward Compatibility OTs are found in the main Gaming side? Same with Virtual Reality. PSVR was moved to Hangouts and PCVR is on the main gaming side.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Looks like Death Stranding was the best new IP launch in Japan this gen?

Yep

(Didn't find the link in english tho)

This makes Death Stranding the best launch for a new intellectual property in Japan since the release of Dark Souls in September 2011. The game from FromSoftware has sold 279,567 units in Japanese physical stores.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

Sounds really good...tweet to GG?
also, not sure it was posted, but Kojima's tweet again taken out of context. Honeymoon phase is over and I can official say Death Stranding is the most engaging and fun I've had playing games this year only second to MHW...I wouldn't be surprised if it's nominated for GOTY. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/12/heres-what-kojima-said-about-mixed-death-stranding-reviews?amp=1

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Nice to see Death Stranding do well in Japan,I'm 15hrs in now and the online components are really fantastic.....having bridges pop up over wide rivers that I had to navigate around before is incredible,really feels like a community rebuilding the landscape.
A lot of talk about if it's a new genre or not but while I'm playing it all I can think is I've never played anything like it before....so I really think the claims of a new genre should not be dismissed so readily.
Kojima knew what he was trying to do with the game and I think he's pulled it off 100%....people will scoff at the new genre talk but how often does anyone even attempt anything like that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.