• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
For sure. 2020 will bring the blowout. Not too much longer.
I hope so. First two years of PS3, and PS4 first party software lineup were so dry. Wish we had something like this again
w9nwwhq82rk21.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
For sure. 2020 will bring the blowout. Not too much longer.

Or maybe the improvements are dependent upon using PS5s. Who knows. They've already been doing things here and there with services, so it could be a matter of timing.

I don't think you need a PS5 to differentiate the streaming component of PS Now from the download component, nor a price reduction.

Anything major might but waiting for the PS5 to implement changes for a subscription service when you can implement those changes and build up a user base prior to your next-gen (backwards compatible) console is slow and bizzare.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. First two years of PS3, and PS4 first party software lineup were so dry. Wish we had something like this again
w9nwwhq82rk21.jpg
I mean that would be nearly impossible to replicate unless you pay a bunch of third parties to also make exclusives for you

Sony doesn't have so many studios to release so many things within the same year in a healthy manner (were the following year isn't barren because of it)

of the list above 3 are from Sony Studios while the others are from third party developers

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Well honest depends on you. I personally don't think so and the game does not look or feel "old". So if you have never played before not at all it's more than worth it.

I guess, I'm just thinking about how much of an update it is in terms on content. I remember buying FFXII and I think it was $50 as well. I've played NNK tho, might get it in the future for sure.

Kyle Barrett

Banned
Mar 5, 2018

I think that'll be more possible this coming gen, thanks to diminishing returns and b/c. But it's still just way more difficult to release that many AAA games in one quarter, exclusively on any platform. Sony won't manage it, not enough first party studios available.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I mean, things take time. There have been several things that Sony has done this gen that folk thought wouldn't happen, or Sony wasn't interested in doing it.

It is sensible to wait until PS5 launches (and a few years beyond that) to see where they take PS Now. It is rather clear it is of priority to them anyway.

It's also pretty easy to see it's a much easier transition in a new generation to start a new service Since you'll be expecting lower sales to start off with anyway.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I don't think you need a PS5 to differentiate the streaming component of PS Now from the download component, nor a price reduction.

Anything major might but waiting for the PS5 to implement changes for a subscription service when you can implement those changes and build up a user base prior to your next-gen (backwards compatible) console is slow and bizzare.

You're completely ignoring the point previously brought up that they did not build PS Now to be this streaming/download service for millions and millions of people. It has a capacity of 5 million the way it is built today.

They already addressed this when they did their Financial Results and announcements back in Spring

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think another issue for a ps now download only optin is the current price tiers. At $20 per month there is plenty of room to add a cheaper option for only downloads, but what about the yearly price? At $99.99 power year that's $8.33/month, how much cheaper can you make that for a download only option?

That's assuming of course they want to break up the service like that instead of waiting for the streaming option to grow on Azure.

Oct 25, 2017
You're completely ignoring the point previously brought up that they did not build PS Now to be this streaming/download service for millions and millions of people. It has a capacity of 5 million the way it is built today.

They already addressed this when they did their Financial Results and announcements back in Spring

I don't quite understand.

Sony managed to build a service that only allows 5 million subscribers max to download PS4 games?

Holy fuck, the sheer incompetence lmao.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I think another issue for a ps now download only optin is the current price tiers. At $20 per month there is plenty of room to add a cheaper option for only downloads, but what about the yearly price? At $99.99 power year that's $8.33/month, how much cheaper can you make that for a download only option?

That's assuming of course they want to break up the service like that instead of waiting for the streaming option to grow on Azure.

I expect they'll adjust pricing and tiering options when PS5 launches. To do it now would make so little difference. Ride out the rest of PS4's business plan as it's successful. I fully expect far more than just pricing to change by end of next year.

I don't quite understand.

Sony managed to build a service that only allows 5 million subscribers max to download PS4 games?

Holy fuck, the sheer incompetence lmao.

Two things:

1. Misquote from me. Their target is to get to 5 million subscribers after deploying PS5

2. It's also about scaleability. It was never supposed to be a PS4 service when they announced it. They added PS4 streaming, then downloads, and now to scale it they're leveraging a larger cloud network in Azure versus just what they have in what they built and leveraged with Gaikai/OnLive. Remember, PS Now isn't even in every territory where PS4 is sold today

Last edited:

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I also hope the ps5 continues the ps4 OS instead of starting over again. Needs to be feature rich from the get go

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is smart keep there current prices for PSnow and can adjust when the time comes.
Plus there not going to lose loads of money just to build up a service fast like what MS is doing .

Jan 20, 2019
Yea and what I've suggested is split the streaming and download apart (because the PS3 is meh tbh), so the 5m limit is a non factor.

There is no point in doing that right now as they will try to sell 2 different services before the ps5 launches.

It is better, from a bussiness perspective, present the service with different levels soo you can sell everything with one makert campaign instead of 2, for example.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I guess, I'm just thinking about how much of an update it is in terms on content. I remember buying FFXII and I think it was $50 as well. I've played NNK tho, might get it in the future for sure.

Yeah I guess if you have played than there really is probably no need. But I guess the game is more for either big fans or new people to enjoy, hence why it's also on Switch.

And really the game is beautiful. Seriously does not look like it's from 2011 at all and feels like a new release. Whatever touch ups they did are superb plus I have been playing in 1440p at glorious 60fps and it's so good. Have not even tried the 4K mode as I want that frame rate goodness. It's not a quick and dirty port.

If you do buy in the future though it will drop in price and the value will be more there for you.

Indominus

Jan 11, 2018
After watching this trailer over ~ 20 times, I didn't notice her fingers move like that. Like, you can see that she struggles to keep that guy silent.
Finger animations are really something else in this game.
Look how restless her fingers are in this, indicating how nervous she is. Impressive stuff.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

PSNow has been lagging behind in mindshare that if they want to be serious about PSNow being a competitive service quality-wise, it needs more than just a few tweaks, but closer to a rebranding exercise.

And it's arguable that given PS4's strong position in the market today, they don't need to have that rebranding exercise happen now, but rather let that rebranding exercise happen in conjuction with PS5 and leverage each other.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
PSNow has been lagging behind in mindshare that if they want to be serious about PSNow being a competitive service quality-wise, it needs more than just a few tweaks, but closer to a rebranding exercise.

And it's arguable that given PS4's strong position in the market today, they don't need to have that rebranding exercise happen now, but rather let that rebranding exercise happen in conjuction with PS5 and leverage each other.
plus for an early PS5 userbase having a new fresh PS NOW smack in front of you with better pricing options among other things would be more enticing when you already forked out a bunch of cash on a new console and peripherals, etc...

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Look how restless her fingers are in this, indicating how nervous she is. Impressive stuff.

Let's talk about this for a min. Everything in this demo seems very much like things ND want to achieve in this game. Despite people's early and often speculation regarding it's legitimacy, it really comes down to ignorance to motion matching. The system can explain alot about what's going on here.

And also despite what ND wasn't able to achieve in the first, like what their true vision for the ai was, I think it's much more achievable here with much more competent hardware.

But to my point, if there is one thing that I still question, which this gif reminds me of, was Ellie cocking the gun in preparation. Looks fucking awesome, and I suppose it could be this automatic animation to be played when the player has there gun drawn and is silent, but it felt too good almost, even for a choreographed demo.

What ya think? Is it more plausible then I'm thinking it to be?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Doubt it.

While I believe that a bulk of the E3 2018 demo will be in the final game, what I doubt are the impeccable 'timing' of everything. Where Ellie cocks the gun so precisely to match the timing of the enemy's searching, the perfect timing of the camera angle shifting into a cinematic angle that maximises the impact of Ellie getting grabbed and thrown over the shelves, the way the camera subtly lingers on the enemy that was immobilized after you shot several arrows into him, etc.

You know, things that ND would've probably added an element of scripting or specific timing triggers to their animation motions or cinematic camera triggers just for that extra 'ooomph' in everything.

Oct 25, 2017

That's fair, to go for a big blow out. But in a competition for services, where mindshare is an issue, you also risk blow back if the reveal (coinciding with PS5) is merely a feature set that catches up with the competition, rather than makes any notable improvements or offers any distinct advantages.

"Great, they made PS Now what it should have been two years ago." Meanwhile the competition has made continuous improvements over the years. If the concern is from a marketing point of view, it's very easy to take the wind out of something if what you offer is old news. See: PS5 Wired article deflating Scarletts reveal.

So, if they do that, they better have some drastic improvements ready to go, and not just "Gamepass, but worse."

The notion of companies holding back updates so that they can do a better marketing blitz while their consumers get sub par services is a whole other can of worms.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's fair, to go for a big blow out. But in a competition for services, where mindshare is an issue, you also risk blow back if the reveal (coinciding with PS5) is merely a feature set that catches up with the competition, rather than makes any notable improvements or offers any distinct advantages.

"Great, they made PS Now what it should have been two years ago." Meanwhile the competition has made continuous improvements over the years. If the concern is from a marketing point of view, it's very easy to take the wind out of something if what you offer is old news. See: PS5 Wired article deflating Scarletts reveal.

So, if they do that, they better have some drastic improvements ready to go, and not just "Gamepass, but worse."

The notion of companies holding back updates so that they can do a better marketing blitz while their consumers get sub par services is a whole other can of worms.
You think creating a $10 download only option makes it better? You could pay $99 for a whole year which is less than $10 a month. How can something that offers more than the competition be "Game Pass, but worse?

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
Doubt it.

While I believe that a bulk of the E3 2018 demo will be in the final game, what I doubt are the impeccable 'timing' of everything. Where Ellie cocks the gun so precisely to match the timing of the enemy's searching, the perfect timing of the camera angle shifting into a cinematic angle that maximises the impact of Ellie getting grabbed and thrown over the shelves, the way the camera subtly lingers on the enemy that was immobilized after you shot several arrows into him, etc.

You know, things that ND would've probably added an element of scripting or specific timing triggers to their animation motions or cinematic camera triggers just for that extra 'ooomph' in everything.
The camerawork was absolutely incredible, second only to the animation.

The last bit with the big guy, very much done for the demo as it whips around and faces Ellie.

The other two, idk. May very well not be present in the final code, or maybe it had more to do with some user control, being that the player already knew exactly where to position the camera. I hear ya tho, the angle it shifted to seems to be more than player control.

The camera was one of the biggest sellers in that two on one fight earlier in the demo. As long as camera work like that is present, we have nothing to worry about

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
I'd settle for some good interviews, especially if they can finally answer some of you & your calls about doing a AAA JRPG.

If Keiichiro Toyama appears too, then it'd be nice to hear some exciting hints for next his project.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Asia posted its Tokyo Game Show 2019 interview with Shuhei:

I watched it all and there's nothing really of note in there, unfortunately.

The other TGS interviews published by Japanese media weren't so noteworthy either. Skimmed through most of them and the only standout bit to me was Shuhei saying there is a possibility Asian developers may joins Worldwide Studios in the future (GAME Watch interview). I'm not super familiar with enough Asian developers to make any really educated guesses, but I would think miHoYo, whose game Genshin Impact Shuhei seems to be very excited for, would be a potential candidate considering how technically proficient they seem to be.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Is "Sony hall" the same place they revealed the PS4?
Both the PS4 and PS4 Pro were revealed in new york, the pro was revealed in playstation theater (that will close down later this year) and i am not sure where was the PS4 meeting held. Makes sense to hold a playstation meeting in the sony hall though, also currently nothing is scheduled around the time that is mentioned.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

Everything animation related in this game is something else.. Especially how natural the transition between Ellie picking up the beer bottle and throwing it.. I died and came back to life in that scene

Status
Not open for further replies.