• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Not into racing games, but good luck to Polyphony for 7 in the future.

Just hurry up Tuesday...

tumblr_pa6ui6RPGb1tt3wuco3_500.gifv

What an amazing shot! Cannot wait to see more of this game

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
People are seriously suggesting shutting down PD? Some really bored people in here.
Right, it's insanity.

Gran Turismo is still one of PlayStation's most iconic franchises, and based on the updates and support it still gets, one should assume it has done well enough commercially. They tried something different and in the end, it seems like it worked out.

I haven't played Sport for a while, but when I first got it, I was impressed by how much care and attention PD put to every detail of that game. My last GT before that was GT4.

But I do hope the next game has a more robust single-player mode, for sure.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
We don't have access to in game purchase revenue so we can't speculate as to how successful/unsuccessful Sony's GaaS titles are.

But as Midnight said, i doubt they'd have a 400 man team supporting the game for years unless it were at least breaking even.

Oct 25, 2017

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
People are bonkers.

An early gen (like launch window) GT7 built from what they had of GTS, with 4K, 60fps, raytacing and supported for the entire gen with constant updates, modes, and a robust online progression could be one of Sony's most succesful GaaS services for the entire PS5 generation.
Hell, have a beta available on PS5 day one and that alone will bring in users.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
I hope the last guardian doenst make me lose my shit like shadow of the colosus is doing it.

Never felt so annoyed by a game since dark souls 2
Do you have a pet by any chance? I think Trico is a brilliant imitation of the habits of my dog. Made me get over the 'annoyances' easily. Overall game isn't as good as SOTC though, that is truly one of a kind.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Polyphony Digital will never cease to exist.

- strong brand
- delivers content for the FIA
- has it's strands all over the car industry
- is a technology partner to Sony i.e. HDR, 8K
- Kaz (still) on the board

Nor should it be shut down. Lots of people don't like the direction of Gran Turismo in the last couple of generations but it's clear that he isn't just trying to make a game anymore. It's whole means more to Sony than we realise, I think.

Jan 20, 2019
Do you have a pet by any chance? I think Trico is a brilliant imitation of the habits of my dog. Made me get over the 'annoyances' easily. Overall game isn't as good as SOTC though, that is truly one of a kind.
Well, Trico is... Oh boy.

Oh well, hoping for the best.
SoTC made you lose your shit ? How TF ?

I need to take a break, i already did 11 Colosus i will take a couple days out so i can enjoy the end game.

It is that horse that sometimes doenst do what you ask him to do and the caracter takes so long to get up. The 11 colossu perma atack me because the caracter didnt move at all.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Oh well, hoping for the best.

I need to take a break, i already did 11 Colosus i will take a couple days out so i can enjoy the end game.

It is that horse that sometimes doenst do what you ask him to do and the caracter takes so long to get up. The 11 colossu perma atack me because the caracter didnt move at all.
All i can say is, good luck.
You probably wont like TLG if that is your issue with SOTC.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I still didn't buy GT sports. But I liked the first game and GT5. I might be back for a ps5 game :)

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Forza Horizon is amazing, Sony needs something similar on the market. Not necessarily open world, but 100% arcade fun. Dunno how will they do it, but they should. Still keeping my fingers crossed for DriveClub 2 developed by some third party racing powerhouse exclusively for PlayStation.
No, they don't need to. Forza Horizon is an amazing IP, but Sony don't need to copy everything Microsoft does well. Guerrilla Games has had more success with Horizon: Zero Dawn (their own IP/project) than with Killzone (the "Halo of Sony").

If Polyphony Digitals wants to create an arcade racing game, fine. If Sony has a contact with a really good independant studio which has a great idea for an arcade racing game, good. But even if Sony don't publish any new racing game on PlayStation 5, it wouldn't be a bad thing, as long as they publish many other amazing games.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
If you are only on PS4 Slim/og, I would honestly wait to play TLG on PS5. It's a breathtaking game with a wonderful story, but the framerate issues drag the whole thing up a notch. If you have access to a Pro, or can wait for PS5, go that route. Have fun with Trico!

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I do miss arcade racing games, but Forza Horizon definitely isn't what I mean by that. It's cool, but I miss the San Francisco Rush arcade days of twisty, windy futuristic racing on the side of glass buildings and shortcuts through underground passageways and electronic soundtracks and all that stuff.

Give me Extreme G Racing in 2020!

Unfortunately, I think the anchors on those boats may never have existed given no one makes those games at all anymore. Not even Nintendo with F-Zero

I like Driveclub, Onrush was actually not bad but it wasn't nearly what I thought it was going to be, Project Cars is sim and fine, Forza is sim and fine, and Wipeout Collection looks pretty but doesn't do it for me.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Alright, alright I'll throw up my white flag on the GT topic, outside of one final question. Is the internet connection requirement (for whatever reason) now going to be a series staple?
I live in a part of México where internet access is spotty at times, so my bias on that front is evident.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh boy, at least it only cost 8€... I will give it a try.

Trico understands moving orders and action orders. Moving orders are given with R1 and the directional stick You need observe the boy and how he communicate with him (his arms give the direction). Direct orders are mirrored to what the boy is doing : "jump" = triangle, "sit" = cross "hit" = square.

When you have a grip or the ground under your feet you can't fall "naturally" in this game, the boy always retrieve his balance, but imagine you are controlling a ragdoll with a heavy center of gravity and big puppy's paw pads. So neither Mario nor Snake.

It's more an escape room and a puzzler with platforms than a platformer, so no need to run everywhere and trying to wallhack every portion of the castle or spamming orders to Trico. There is always a unique path that you first need to locate visually, than try it (Trico is often a good help to find the way, but not all the time).

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, alright I'll throw up my white flag on the GT topic, outside of one final question. Is the internet connection requirement (for whatever reason) now going to be a series staple?
I live in a part of México where internet access is spotty at times, so my bias on that front is evident.

I doubt it. The internet connection being required for GTS is more or less down to it really being an online game due to it being centered around the Sport mode. Kaz has hinted heavily that the next game will be more of what people expect from GT, meaning the campaign will return. If it's back then there will be no reason to make an online requirement.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
I doubt it. The internet connection being required for GTS is more or less down to it really being an online game due to it being centered around the Sport mode. Kaz has hinted heavily that the next game will be more of what people expect from GT, meaning the campaign will return. If it's back then there will be no reason to make an online requirement.
I guess i don't lose anything by being hopeful. But if PD got away with it once, and still managed to pull 8-9 Million copies sold... They could get away with it again, if they wished to do so. I get that the internet access thing is a more of a "Me" problem, but it would still be nice for it to straight up not be a part of the GT discussion.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Polyphony Digital simply needs to change. The "We will release one game every 1000 years" way of thinking has to stop. And I think with Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst now in charge, thinks will change. So let's see.

Oct 25, 2017
Polyphony Digital simply needs to change. The "We will release one game every 1000 years" way of thinking has to stop. And I think with Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst now in charge, thinks will change. So let's see.

There was a long gap between GT4 and GT5 (TT, Prologue and PSP not withstanding) and I suppose a slightly longer than usual gap between GT6 and GTS, but other than that I think PD's reputation for tardy development is overblown.

Also if Sony didn't think GAAS was working out for GT as a series, Sport would probably not still be getting updates 2 years after its release. I think PS5 will get one main GT game that'll then be supported for the rest of the gen.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
People still saying this nonsense is silly at this point. 3 to 4 years is a normal dev cycle this isn't an yearly series

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about how many games they release. I just think Poly should be able to release higher quality games at launch. The GT Sport launch wasn't it. Poly should be up there with ND, SSM, and GG as a top tier studio that releases "big event" type games. They were already in that position in previous gens.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really care about how many games they release. I just think Poly should be able to release higher quality games at launch. The GT Sport launch wasn't it. Poly should be up there with ND, SSM, and GG as a top tier studio that releases "big event" type games. They were already in that position in previous gens.
I disagree, respectfully. PD is a top studio. The reste was playing catch up. Looking at the launch of DC (which I very much liked btw) and the launch of GT sport the difference is night and day. To me GT sport is just the best racing game."it makes me feel like I'm a car" LOL
Edit : sorry about the DP.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
There was a long gap between GT4 and GT5 (TT, Prologue and PSP not withstanding) and I suppose a slightly longer than usual gap between GT6 and GTS, but other than that I think PD's reputation for tardy development is overblown.

Also if Sony didn't think GAAS was working out for GT as a series, Sport would probably not still be getting updates 2 years after its release. I think PS5 will get one main GT game that'll then be supported for the rest of the gen.

I agree the new GT should come early year 1 or 2 and just get updates for the rest of the gen .

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree, respectfully. PD is a top studio. The reste was playing catch up. Looking at the launch of DC (which I very much liked btw) and the launch of GT sport the difference is night and day. To me GT sport is just the best racing game."it makes me feel like I'm a car" LOL
Edit : sorry about the DP.
I was speaking more from a market perspective. Their games should have higher critical and commercial success that is comparable to the previous games.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I was speaking more from a market perspective. Their games should have higher critical and commercial success that is comparable to the previous games.
Critics can get lost in all honesty. And commercially it's not the best selling GT but racing games, I don't want to speak about the competition but I've never been impressed by their numbers, don't sell much this days, comparatively to the rest of the market I would even argue GT has a biggest "marketshare" on the platform now more than ever.
Edit : to shorten it I believe the market has shrink.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Like every other game that is also an ongoing game, it launched rough as a concept, but, unlike many ongoing games, it has had excellent support with regular monthly updates and experiences added into the game. It was just recently renowned for its work in building the driving eSport community as well. I get the complaints about the game, but GT/PD are doing many things well.

My favorite part of it is the love and effort of the history of cars in the game.

If there must be another entry, it should be baked on top of what I consider a pretty lovingly crafted experience they already have going with GTS and I hope folks get that offline experience they want as well.

Critics can get lost in all honesty. And commercially it's not the best selling GT but racing games, I don't want to speak about the competition but I've never been impressed by their numbers, don't sell much this days, comparatively to the rest of the market I would even argue GT has a biggest "marketshare" on the platform now more than ever.
Edit : to shorten it I believe the market has shrink.

Market has definitely shrunk for racing titles in general.

For comparison, GTS/Forza Horizon 4 have similar player populations (overall number not MAUs). Big difference obviously being one is a part of a subscription service. I can't remember, nor did I spend a lot of time looking, if GTS has been on Plus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.