• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now is the time for Jim Ryan or Hermen Hulst to speak up and clarify what Sony's upcoming strategy is. Phil Spencer did it so I'm sure Sony can do this to.

Things are changing. Xbox Live coming to Minecraft on PS4, Sony first-party single-player games on PC, Sony first-party games on Switch and Xbox.

I guess Jason Schreier's comment about Sony being scared of Google's entry into the video game market was true. And it's not only that. It looks like they are terrified of Microsoft's aggressive efforts and their Game Pass subscription service. Then there is Nintendo killing it with the Switch.

Jim Ryan mentioned that he wants to avoid complacency. Therefore the restructuring process inside SIE right now. They are getting ready for one last console generation with the upcoming PlayStation 5. At the same time they are slowly becoming a multiplatform publisher. As you can witness right now.

Soon everything will be on PC and even on different consoles so you don't have to buy a PlayStation console anymore. With and without PS Now.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I'm sorry but how would you know that? I know your answer is going to be look at what's happening this gen but then I'll say to you look at what happened last gen and how it's not at all the same as what is happening this gen.

And again, God of War, Horizon, TLOUS, Uncharted or Spiderman are not being announced as multiplatform games. MLB the Show is. Let that sink in before you type in another response, please.
With regards to the first point, you are correct, there's no way of knowing that. We are in uncharted territory here (pun intended).

To the second point, I'll agree with you if TGAs come and go with no HZD PC announcement.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Why are there so many dummies that are acting like Sony is suddenly just going to stop having exclusives because a sports license is going multi platform. Come on. Good lord the melt downs in here are stupid. It makes it not even fun.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yea.

They'll be exclusive for a period of time, at which point this whole scenario plays out all over again.

Patient gamers will be the true winners next-gen, lol
They'll be exclusives the entire generation.

Why are there so many dummies that are acting like Sony is suddenly just going to stop having exclusives because a sports license is going multi platform. Come on. Good lord the melt downs in here are stupid. It makes it not even fun.
I do kinda chuckle at time ^^.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yea.

They'll be exclusive for a period of time, at which point this whole scenario plays out all over again.

Patient gamers will be the true winners next-gen, lol

Zhuge said something about new games too. No one would have thought MLB would be on another console. We are entering uncharted territory. Quasi-timed exclusivity would not shock me before PC release and even simultaneous releases for some games. I'd just like to know before next generation starts. If I can get everything but Nintendo on one platform peace out!

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Sony needs to be more up front about their future plans for first party. Crazy that we're finding out about this stuff out of nowhere. Let people know what games are going multiplatform so they can decide if they want to buy a PS5 or not. Or even keep playing on PS4. If you're going the MS route, announce it already.

Pretty much. I don't see how they get people to buy PS5's "faster than ever" if they were to multiplat everything. Which is what they've still said they want to do.

Jim Ryan was mistaken. He was talking about PC obviously.

Heri

Oct 28, 2017

Because they want Sony out of the console race. Note how the other companies are excluded from the conversation because of reasons.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Zhuge said something about new games too. No one would have thought MLB would be on another console. We are entering uncharted territory. Quasi-timed exclusivity would not shock me before PC release and even simultaneous releases for some games. I'd just like to know before next generation starts. If I can get everything but Nintendo on one platform peace out!
Honestly, I'm just gonna do what AudioEppa said in the other thread.

Slap a PS sticker on my PC, and hook up a DualShock 5 to it.

Boom. It's the greatest compromise ever, lol

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Wouldn't SoP be the more likely place for an announcement?
The original source of this rumour (4chan) specified TGAs.

If it's gonna be tomorrow, then great, we can engage in more concrete speculations regarding the future of WWS. I'd rather not have to wait till the TGAs before we get a statement from Jim Ryan and Herman Hulst.
Damn.

Didn't even give Sony a chance.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Now is the time for Jim Ryan or Hermen Hulst to speak up and clarify what Sony's upcoming strategy is. Phil Spencer did it so I'm sure Sony can do this to.

Things are changing. Xbox Live coming to Minecraft on PS4, Sony first-party single-player games on PC, Sony first-party games on Switch and Xbox.

I guess Jason Schreier's comment about Sony being scared of Google's entry into the video game market was true. And it's not only that. It looks like they are terrified of Microsoft's aggressive efforts and their Game Pass subscription service. Then there is Nintendo killing it with the Switch.

Jim Ryan mentioned that he wants to avoid complacency. Therefore the restructuring process inside SIE right now. They are getting ready for one last console generation with the upcoming PlayStation 5. At the same time they are slowly becoming a multiplatform publisher. As you can witness right now.

Soon everything will be on PC and even on different consoles so you don't have to buy a PlayStation console anymore. With and without PS Now.
Why would Sony want to become a publisher and kill PlayStation when it's the biggest source of revenue for them?

It made sense for Microsoft, but not so much for Sony. Especially after a hugely successful generation with 110+ millions of consoles sold.

They're expanding a bit (The Show), giving away the games they don't see any future in (Detroit) and are open to sign contracts when they see potential (Death Stranding).

I don't see Sony going the same route as MS ever.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
a61005be-20130109.png

Yeah, super super fine

Oct 25, 2017
People really think that because MLB the Show is going multi-platform, all of a sudden everything is? That's the stupidest conclusion a person could possibly have right now.

Zhuge made a tweet saying they are exploring their options with new games and their back catalog. That implies more than just MLB. Just seems strange for people saying they want to push PS5 transition as fast as possible.

We'll know soon enough.

TGAs are only a week away.

TGAs is Thursday night.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why would Sony want to become a publisher and kill PlayStation when it's the biggest source of revenue for them?

It made sense for Microsoft, but not so much for Sony. Especially after a hugely successful generation with 110+ millions of consoles sold.

They're expanding a bit (The Show), giving away the games they don't see any future in (Detroit) and are open to sign contracts when they see potential (Death Stranding).

I don't see Sony going the same route as MS ever.
Seems like next generation will be the last one so they are preparing for a future without hardware. They are going the same route as Microsoft.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest. They would probably not be able to keep the MLB license without going multiplatform.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like next generation will be the last one so they are preparing for a future without hardware. They are going the same route as Microsoft.

Phil Spencer said he doesn't plan on this being the last generation. Not everyone wants to play on PC or stream games. Consoles still have a place for a long time.I

Let's be honest. They would probably not be able to keep the MLB license without going multiplatform.
[/QUOTE

Why not? The license wasn't exclusive, the quality is top notch and there are no competitors. The license apparently is exclusive now though. Just seems like a business deal not an extortion.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Zhuge made a tweet saying they are exploring their options with new games and their back catalog. That implies more than just MLB. Just seems strange for people saying they want to push PS5 transition as fast as possible.

TGAs is Thursday night.
You mean 2 days away.
only 3 days away as a matter of fact
Ah shit.

I'll adjust my calendar.
Does the rest of SIE WWS make licensed sports games that they cold lose to other publishers?
TGAs will reveal all~~~

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer said he doesn't plan on this being the last generation. Not everyone wants to play on PC or stream games. Consoles still have a place for a long time.
Well it doesn't matter what he hopes. Things will be different in 2027. Sony is preparing to adapt. You can see it right now. Microsoft's and Sony's strategies are to go multiplatform. Selling software, not hardware. Exclusives are dying.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Well it doesn't matter what he hopes. Things will be different in 2027. Sony is preparing to adapt. You can see it right now. Microsoft's and Sony's strategies are to go multiplatform. Selling software, not hardware. Exclusives are dying.
What's your theory on why Nintendo is able to continue as is, while not caring about its competitors going multiplat.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

Oh wow... this place has gone nuts.

Oct 25, 2017

You sell less hardware if you are cutting out entire demographics that can't afford PC or want gaming and/or don't have internet capability to stream. It's about OPTIONS. There is zero reason to eliminate consoles even if they are not the dominant market which they still could be. Sony is selling 120 million PS4s and you think PS5 is the end? Get real.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Even if it is not announced, all this conversation about SIE games on other systems is not going to end.
This is entirely on Sony, they've repeatedly set the precedent this year by making these kind of moves.

I've never seen this much confusion or doubt among their fanbase on the eve of a new generation. Their near radio silence over the past 2 years has compounded this even further.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Then we can look forward to even less and less games out of companies like Sony than ever before. Without a console, there's significantly less reason to bother with a diverse portfolio of games,

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
It essentially went like MLB telling Sony to go multiplatform or not develop and publish it anymore. They chose to agree on those terms.

Sony two years ago probably would have dropped the license.

Edit: Also I am getting my wish of having a new OT before the SoP thanks to MLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.