• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
GOAT PlayStation? Not in a single lifetime, PS2 is miles ahead in quality, variety and quantity...
Nah...I went through my PS2 collection. It's rose tinted. Besides GTA being exclusive and more AAA JRPGS almost every other genre is better represented. Indy games are as high quality as experiences like Dark Cloud 2 or Dragon Quest Vll, and the standout AAA titles this gen are IMO better than PS2 era (again, outside of GTA)

PS4's sustained quality will eclipse PS2 for me, and remember the gen isn't over yet and we may possibly have yet to play it's greatest game. I'm thinking TLOu2 and Death Stranding will give Cyber Punk, Witcher 3 and BotW a run for GOTG.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Lol. I do remember, but things can change from the announcement to the final release. Also... if only you knew... 😏😉

P.s. I wouldn't bet my avatar about it if I didn't trust my source. 😏😎

P.p.s. I was among the first ones on the old forum to remind people of the original announcement's details... just so you know. 😑
Sh*t, Kojima Productions acquired by Sony. MEGATON!!!!

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Nah...I went through my PS2 collection. It's rose tinted. Besides GTA being exclusive and more AAA JRPGS almost every other genre is better represented. Indy games are as high quality as experiences like Dark Cloud 2 or Dragon Quest Vll, and the standout AAA titles this gen are IMO better than PS2 era (again, outside of GTA)

PS4's sustained quality will eclipse PS2 for me, and remember the gen isn't over yet and we may possibly have yet to play it's greatest game. I'm thinking TLOu2 and Death Stranding will give Cyber Punk, Witcher 3 and BotW a run for GOTG.
Pretty sure those AAA JRPGs are why some would consider the PS2 over the PS4.

In fact, I'd wager a significant chunk of Era thinks along those lines.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
many PS3 games haven't released on PS4 so a PS3 BC would be great too

like Resistance, or MotorStorm, or Tokyo Jungle or Puppeteer, or Infamous 1/2, etc...

well maybe unless you consider PS NOW covering said games but in a dream world the PS5 would be BC for all main line PS from 1-4

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
GOAT PlayStation? Not in a single lifetime, PS2 is miles ahead in quality, variety and quantity...
For me choosing a GOAT PS is impossible, they all have something going on. The PSX still has the best and most varied catalogue (+ it's the one I have the most nostalgia for), I had a PS2 for ages and the catalogue was pretty much endless, the PS3 has, the PS4 has both indie + AAA, plus much deeper games. It's impossible to choose.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
many PS3 games haven't released on PS4 so a PS3 BC would be great too

like Resistance, or MotorStorm, or Tokyo Jungle or Puppeteer, or Infamous 1/2, etc...

well maybe unless you consider PS NOW covering said games but in a dream world the PS5 would be BC for all main line PS from 1-4
Motorstorm Pacific Rift isn't on PS Now :(

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
And finish it off with a new gen
when we get the ps5 specs

3467166-2649902302-giphy.gif

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Do you think we'll see the trailer announcement for Horizon 2 or whatever Guerrilla next year? It's probably not a launch game but maybe 2021.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Pretty sure those AAA JRPGs are why some would consider the PS2 over the PS4.

In fact, I'd wager a significant chunk of Era thinks along those lines.
Maybe, but I've replayed stuff like FFX, DQ7, etc...and definitely feel that's nostalgia talking. That was an era where western style RPG's were mostly PC bound and first person was hardly popular. Some of the best stories in gaming no longer come from the role playing genre but action games like God of War and TLOU. Story telling has just risen across all genres which diluted the appeal of RPG's in the first place IMO. We still have the quality in JRPG like Persona 5 and Valkyrie Chronicles they just aren't as frequent as PS2 since it's not a dominant genre anymore. There's nothing like Until Dawn or Dreams during that era, no long term engagement with the same game like Destiny, Minecraft or Fortnite, it was heavily sequel based. we might have gotten 3 DMC games but they were just iterations on mostly the same concept. I'd rather have the brilliant experience of God of War and just replay it with NG+. Or go from Bloodborne to Dark Souls to Sekiro.

Every genre is covered with the same amount of quality if not higher, there's more different kinds of games today, there's just less games being made. To me, they are better now as I spend more time with individual ones rather than beating games in a few days and never touching it again.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Do you think we'll see the trailer announcement for Horizon 2 or whatever Guerrilla next year? It's probably not a launch game but maybe 2021.
Definitely !
The next game from Guerrilla will be PS5 launch or H1 2021 imo
I just wonder if they will tease something at PS Meeting or go all in at E3 2020

Last edited:

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Horizon won't be a launch title, too soon for that. Don't want them to rush it, with BC and the inevitable 2nd party deals there's plenty of games to play.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
My expectation is Horizon 2 for spring 2021. More than four years after the release of the first game and not rushed to make launch.

I firmly believe it's going to be positioned as the PS5's first "must have" exclusive. Assuming something unexpected and amazing doesn't come alongside the PS5's launch.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
My expectation is Horizon 2 for spring 2021. More than four years after the release of the first game and not rushed to make launch.

I firmly believe it's going to be positioned as the PS5's first "must have" exclusive. Assuming something unexpected and amazing doesn't come alongside the PS5's launch.

Yes, that's my reasoning as well. Horizon 2 will be the game pointed to sell the console during it's early days (first year basically).

Oct 25, 2017
So I WAS going to watch the DS trailer, but Kojima said he hopes that you won't and that the trailer is there just to convince people.

If the man himself says not to, then honestly, I won't.

What is everyone else doing?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Well they have to show something for the PS5. Showing things 2 years early worked for Sony this gen, so I wouldn't be surprised if we even saw GOW2 or Spider-Man 2.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
My guess for the first party studios is:
  1. Gran Turismo PS5 (launch title)
  2. Ratchet & Clank PS5 (launch year)
  3. Horizon Zero Dawn 2 (launch year)

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
If he don't see GoT soon, I'm starting to feel that game is going to be a PS5 launch title.

Crossgen like Halo Infinite and BoTW.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Insomniac expands on the traversal and combat elements in a new R&C as well as other gameplay elements and platforming

Demon Souls remake if that is indeed a thing could be a PS5 launch game

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think the launch day lineup could be something like
Ratchet
Demon's souls
Housemarque game
Gran Turismo 7
Not necessarily all those games though

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. I do remember, but things can change from the announcement to the final release. Also... if only you knew... 😏😉

P.s. I wouldn't bet my avatar about it if I didn't trust my source. 😏😎

P.p.s. I was among the first ones on the old forum to remind people of the original announcement's details... just so you know. 😑
Tell me,I swear to God I will not tell to anyone else.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
also I wonder if R&C 2 should be an original story or borrow more from 3

since the second PS2 games plot felt like fillerish in between one and two

I wonder if they'll diverge timelines

I just hope they put love into it like RC ACiT beyond just playing it safe

take the series into new directions and expand the formula... I think a soft reboot like how GOW changed is an possible approach for the series but still having some core elements

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
They're going to be showing a new trailer at TGS. So some time this week.
There are two panels on sunday.

12:00 JST and also 14:45 JST

Youtube links for the streams here (search for Tales of Arise): https://gematsu.com/2019/09/tgs-2019-live-stream-schedule

Though I guess they might release a trailer before this.

Oh, good to know about the schedule, hopefully they drop the trailer before sunday tho just to make my job more interesting. :P

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sony likely doesn't want to cloud up their marketing

they've done this before, likely they'll wait until DS is near release to switch into GoT content

Status
Not open for further replies.