• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
What I would do in Sony's position for the launch of PS5 is launch with just one or two major first party titles, leave the rest as third party. Give a little bit more time for the other games to come out. One title per month for the first 6 months to keep eyes on the console while satisfying early adopters, along with promoting PS4 Hits.

One of the initial problems the Vita launch had was that far too many First Party titles launched all at once, often with overlapping audiences (Modnation Racers and Wipeout are both arcade racers for example). Some of these games needed more time in the oven and so they suffered, a situation I doubt Sony would want to repeat.

They'll have third party support without a doubt, so they aren't under too much pressure unless things go completely nuts (I doubt it).

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
What I would do in Sony's position for the launch of PS5 is launch with just one or two major first party titles, leave the rest as third party.
Yes, for sure this is something that we have to consider for at least the first year.

I am expecting many, many third party games for 2020/2021.

Most publishers will want to capitalize on both the install bases (current gen and next gen) and release their games as cross gen titles.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Insomniac just makes an entirely new franchise that's their own and not licensed from an existing property. I want them to have their HZD.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
If he don't see GoT soon, I'm starting to feel that game is going to be a PS5 launch title.

Crossgen like Halo Infinite and BoTW.
I don't think that's a valid conclusion. Even if GoT is a May/June 2020 game, the earliest we will see more of it is 5 months earlier. That would be next December/January, so comfortably after the release of DS.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Insomniac just makes an entirely new franchise that's their own and not licensed from an existing property. I want them to have their HZD.

They tried with Sunset, it just didn't hit.

I'd actually quite like to see the original concept of Fuse revisited someday, that could be great under Sony as there'd be little to no interference or design by committee nonsense.

Kyle Barrett

Banned
Mar 5, 2018

I know dude. Me too.

I was so disappointed TLoU Part II was a thing, when it was first announced. The only sequel I want from first party is Horizon, so Guerrilla gets a chance to build on that world.

Aug 26, 2019
I think that ND, SSM, GG, and Insomniac will all make new IPs next-gen. I just think they'll happen in the second half of the gen, after we've gotten GoW, Spider-Man, Horizon etc.

Basically, the first half of the gen will be loaded with sequels and the second half with new IPs

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I dunno what's better, having a backlog of amazing games to play or coming to a brand new thread with news bubbling about amazing new games on the Horizon.

My goodness, this month I'll hipedukky get through Detroit, Control & Days Gone. Then next month YakuzA, will finally start P5, a jump into Sekiro.

The escapism this gen is too strong! #blessed

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I hope they keep pitching ideas along these lines, but that someone at WWS has the good sense to provide solid constructive criticism to keep them in pre-production until they come up with something that has more substance than Fuse or Sunset Overdrive.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, Ratchet has been a franchise since 2002. I want something new. Resistance was a great franchise and was an interesting blend of sci-fi and horror. Those are genres I didn't know Insomniac could really competently create in but they did it. It's a shame Resistance wasn't bigger
You are getting a sequel to Spiderman ps4 and you will be happy. Next is a R&C game and you will be happy again.
I kinda want something new though. Maybe a Stalker-like game that features an alien occupied Earth
So, you're against a new IP that's as critically and commercially acclaimed HZD? Wha!?
They made 1 licensed game in 25 years
I'm just saying that they have the talent to do whatever they choose, they shouldn't become a Spiderman factory. As well as that game sold, that is a strong possibility.
They tried with Sunset, it just didn't hit.

I'd actually quite like to see the original concept of Fuse revisited someday, that could be great under Sony as there'd be little to no interference or design by committee nonsense.
Well Sunset was on a platform where they didn't really have much of a fanbase, so it wasn't too surprising to see that commercially the game wasn't all that well received. I feel like Fuse was initially like OverWatch and underwent a crazy tonal change or am I remembering the opposite of what it was?
I know dude. Me too.

I was so disappointed TLoU Part II was a thing, when it was first announced. The only sequel I want from first party is Horizon, so Guerrilla gets a chance to build on that world.
I can understand TLoU2, but I'm not upset about getting more, especially if the mechanics are vastly being improved...which looks to be the case.
I hope they keep pitching ideas along these lines, but that someone at WWS has the good sense to provide solid constructive criticism to keep them in pre-production until they come up with something that has more substance than Fuse or Sunset Overdrive.
They should just do like Guerrilla and have everyone pitch games and which ever receives the most support from the team is the one that they'll move forward with.

Oct 25, 2017
How long was Infamous Second Son in development? Just curious
Infamous Festival of Blood, DLC for Infamous 2, came out Oct 2011. So, if they put all hands on deck after that, it would be 2 years and 5 months. You could probably add on a few months to account for preproduction and the gap between Infamous 2 release (June 2011) and the DLC.

Infamous Second Son definitely felt shallow and undercooked. It makes sense when you consider the dev time and having to rush to meet PS4 launch.

Aug 26, 2019
Infamous Festival of Blood, DLC for Infamous 2, came out Oct 2011. So, if they put all hands on deck after that, it would be 2 years and 5 months. You could probably add on a few months to account for preproduction and the gap between Infamous 2 release (June 2011) and the DLC.

Infamous Second Son definitely felt shallow and undercooked. It makes sense when you consider the dev time and having to rush to meet PS4 launch.
Agreed, although the game still ended up being fun and really showed off the power of the PS4 early in the gen. I think Infamous deserves another chance in the future. But with dev times and cost increasing, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get one.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Agreed, although the game still ended up being fun and really showed off the power of the PS4 early in the gen. I think Infamous deserves another chance in the future. But with dev times and cost increasing, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get one.
I think Infamous already had its run. Spider-Man will likely be the superhero focus for Sony now, while GOT is likely the one Sony will try to push on Asian markets.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
PS4 is the greater PS2...

I'm telling ya it's glorious! I don't think PS5 will have this many exclusives with all the studio acquisitions and eventually I believe X-Play will be standard across 3rd party titles. PS4 is going to go down at the GoAT Playstation.

Yeah it's not even a question, PS4 is far ahead of PS2, and PSN is a large part of that.

Deleted member 17403

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably won't happen next unless it is smaller VR thing. I say one R&C and two Spider-Man games.
I think it's more likely now than before. With Sony's acquisition of them, they are granted a lot more financial and creative freedom. Just consider Sony's other teams and Insomniac made a game that outsold those. That has to be worth something. In addition to that, Sony reportedly already grants their devs a significant degree of autonomy. No reason why that would change with Insomniac.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yeah it's not even a question, PS4 is far ahead of PS2, and PSN is a large part of that.
My man!!

I looked on the store last night and saw all these Japan deals, was about to spend $150 on games when i already have a backlog of 10-15 games. During PS2 era I definitely felt like I played every must-play title. Man, I feel like I'll be good with just my Pro until 2021 - 2022 tbh...

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more likely now than before. With Sony's acquisition of them, they are granted a lot more financial and creative freedom. Just consider Sony's other teams and Insomniac made a game that outsold those. That has to be worth something. In addition to that, Sony reportedly already grants their devs a significant degree of autonomy. No reason why that would change with Insomniac.

True. I just don't see them moving on before finishing a trilogy of Spider-Man games at least. That would fall in line with other successful first party IP.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

If I remember correctly Sucker Punch also said that they went into the game as a sequel with Cole as a protagonist following 2's evil ending, but they decided to make the switch to the good ending based on the majority of the playerbase going with that ending. And that means they probably threw away quite some stuff, at least regarding to the story.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling they'll be doing Spider-Man and Rachet for quite a while. Might not see a new AAA IP until after Spider-Man 3.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember correctly Sucker Punch also said that they went into the game as a sequel with Cole as a protagonist following 2's evil ending, but they decided to make the switch to the good ending based on the majority of the playerbase going with that ending. And that means they probably threw away quite some stuff, at least regarding to the story.

With how that went for Prototype 2, they definitely made the right call.

Oct 25, 2017
My man. Hope it looks at least as good as PS4 Ratchet
I don't know if it will look that good (Ratchet looks really good), but I do expect some nice art to shine on PS4.

They been teasing it too much. I'm all in on Ape Escape happeining.

Yeah, if you put the context into consideration, it served its purpose as a decent AAA exclusive around launch. I think it has a lot more potential if they really give it time and money.

If Ghost is successful like other Sony IP this gen, it will definitely push Infamous further back.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I'm still waiting for Sony to get the X-men license from Marvel. Sucker punch could make some amazing super hero games.

Give wolverine to ND and set it in the 70's
:drools:

Status
Not open for further replies.